Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/10/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri,  9 Mar 90       Volume 90 : Issue  39

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                   batch input & co-processor emulation
                          file transfer question
                  Hard Disk Still Usable if Track 0 Bad?
                      Kermit-ing FTPed SIMTEL20 files
                        Kermit with internal modem
                             Keyboard problem
                            Password Protection
                        Printer Status under MS-NET
                 Problems with L/C model Windows programs
                         TeX driver for HP deskjet

Today's Queries:
                    Creating Soft Fonts for HP Printers
                      graphics software and hardware
                       Tandy 100A and Various Basics

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11 or
DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and
TREARN (Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  This system is a
subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents per hour.  It
is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink
outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are usually available on DDC
within 24 hours.

Date: Fri,  2 Mar 90  9:56 MET
From: <ANNEKE%RUUCLA.SURFNET%HASARA5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: batch input & co-processor emulation

This is an answer to two recently posted questions:

1. For input and use of this input in a batchfile command try using the
excellent package BATKIT50 which is available from simtel in the directory
BATUTL.

2. The program EM87-V11 (simtel directory SYSUTL) works OK with coprocessor
demanding programs like AutoCAD and Fortran(McFarland).

Hope this helps, Anneke Sicherer-Roetman, Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht, Holland

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Mar 90 07:23:42 CST
From: moore@ncsc.navy.mil (Moore)
Subject: file transfer question

i didn't catch your original posting re: file transfer problems, so if this
response is inappropriate just ignore it.

are you using ms-kermit 3.00?  if so, you should also either

SET ATTRIBUTE TYPE OFF    or    SET FILE TYPE BINARY

on your *PC* side before doing the file transfer.  if you have a smarter
server running on the host (like the version of C-Kermit that's in
development now), you can just start the server and issue repeated "gets"
without specifying a file type, and the server/remote will figure the type
out on their own.  Until it's released, you have to issue one of the above
commands.

hope this helps.

jim
moore@NCSC.navy.mil
panama city fl

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Mar 90 03:54:59 GMT
From: mathrich@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Rich Winkel)
Subject: Hard Disk Still Usable if Track 0 Bad?

 CCEYEOYT%NUSVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:

>Does anyone know if a harddisk can still be used if its track 0 (where the
>partition table & boot sector are stored) is bad ? If it is possible,
>kindly enlighten me as how this can be done.  Thanks.

If nothing else, you could write a TSR that traps INT 13 and increments the
cylinder number by one on all calls.  The disk wouldn't be bootable though.

Rich

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90  08:52:29 EST
From: murray%UMASS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Kermit-ing FTPed SIMTEL20 files

In a recent issue of Info-IBMPC, Oscar Manley says files that he has FTPed
from SIMTEL20 seem OK until he downloads them to his machine via Kermit,
where the ARC files show crc errors.

I had just the same problem until I learned that there one must specify a
command-line parameter to Kermit indicating that you want the transfer to be
in binary image format.  On our local unix system, the paramter is -i.  Note
that you must give this parameter as part of the Kermit command--

   kermit -i

--rather than as a command within kermit.  This seems an annoyance if you
also want to transfer ascii files at the same kermit session.

(On my PC, the kermit I run is something called PC-Kermit that is called by
my communications program, Qmodem; this is not the same as the stand-alone,
self-contained complete communications program also named PC-Kermit.  With
the kermit I use, on the receive end I apparently do *not* need to specify a
binary image parameter--perhaps it defaults to that.)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Mar 90 17:39:22 PST
From: forags%nature.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu
Subject: Kermit with internal modem

I had similar trouble with running Kermit on an Everex internal modem.  If
the modem is set to COM3, you may have to write a small program to put the
address of COM3 (or COM4 if set to that port) into memory.  A colleague
showed me a copy of a large Kermit ref. manual which gave the following
procedure to put COM3's address (03E8H) into memory location 40:04H before
running Kermit.  If using COM4, the address goes into 40:06H.

A> DEBUG
-n a:setcom3.com
-a
mov ax,40
mov es,ax
mov ah,03
mov al,e8
es:
mov [4],ax
int 20

                            (blank line to end assemble mode)
-r cx
: 0f
-w
-q

This will generate setcom3.com .  Run setcom3, then Kermit.  (for my Everex,
COM3 is 03E8H, and COM4 is 02E8H.  In the above example, to use COM4's
address, change the mov [4],ax  to mov[6],ax .)

Al Stangenberger                    Dept. of Forestry & Resource Mgt.
forags@violet.berkeley.edu          145 Mulford Hall - Univ. of Calif.
uucp:  ucbvax!ucbviolet!forags      Berkeley, CA  94720
BITNET: FORAGS AT UCBVIOLE          (415) 642-4424  FAX: (415) 643-5438

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Mar 90 11:31:16 +0100
From: ej@rci.dk (Erik Jeppesen)
Subject: Keyboard problem

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>    I have discovered a keyboard and/or bios problem. So far I have seen it
>on several clones with 'enhanced' keyboards, and various versions of Phoenix
>bios. The problem occurs when using interrupt 16h, AH=2. This returns status
>of shift keys in AL.

>    The problem is that if NumLock is on, and one of the enhanced (non
>numeric pad) cursor keys is pressed, the above bios call incorrectly reports
>the left shift key to be down, when it isn't.

>    Have others seen this problem? Is it in the keyboard, or is it a bios
>bug? If the latter, does Phoenix offer a corrected version?

It's not a bug, it's compatibility. To be compatible with the old keyboard,
the enhanced keyboard actually sends scancodes for pressing the left shift
key when you press an enhanced cursor key and numlock is on.

This way it will work with BIOSes not aware of enhanced keyboards.

BTW - why is this a problem?

Best Regards

Erik W. Jeppesen			ej@kos.rci.dk
RC International
Wonderful Copenhagen, Denmark

------------------------------

Date: 26 Feb 90 21:55:26 GMT
From: uop!brian%pasteur.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Brian Maiorella)
Subject: Password Protection

What about the DACS Security Kernel.  It seems to encrypt the directory
information on the hard-drive, do something very odd to the boot track, trap
all dos functions to the hard-drive and maybe even do something with the
timer if you try to install a tsr that messes with you in general.

I am a unix type of guy - I do not like security in general.  To the
idealistic society that exists in my mind it is unnecessary and
counterproductive.  This program I really _HATE_.  But as a security shells
for PCs go it is good.

-brian@uop.edu

ps: These opinions are mine and because they are mine I tend to treat them as
absolute truth, but no one else really takes them very seriously especially
my employer and university.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Mar 90 09:42:01 +0100
From: ej@rci.dk (Erik Jeppesen)
Subject: Printer Status under MS-NET

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>1.  Printing is done by opening the user defined DOS print device, e.g.
>LPT1, changing its file type to a character device, writing data to it,
>then closing the handle.

>2.  After every line a call is made to INT 17 to check on the printer
>status.  Without this the application would overrun an HP LaserJet despite
>a hardwire handshake (which seems odd).

> ...more...

It has no meaning to check for printer status on a netwoked printer.  The
print is always spooled on the server, and the printer spooler will take care
of the handshaking with the printer.

MS-Net will always return printer ready on a call to INT 17 with a networked
printer.

If your printer can be overrun you most certainly have a hardware problem,
perhaps the cable.

Date: Thu, 1 Mar 1990 20:26:18 CST
From: KJE2282 @ VENUS.TAMU.EDU
Subject: Problems with L/C model Windows programs

This is in response to J. Sturgeon's query concerning Large/Compact models
and Windows.

It is not neccessary to use the large or compact models in Microsoft Windows
in order to use arrays larger than 64k - just make sure that you explicitly
declare the pointers you use as far.  It is a generally bad idea to use the
Large/Compact models in Microsoft Windows.

As for   #define NULL 0   vs   #define NULL 0L    MSC5.1 at least does the
right thing in either case: a comparison to 0 is extended to 0L where
neccessary.

Kevin J. English
STARR LAB, Range Science - TAMU, College Station Tx 77843-2126, (409)845-1553
kje2282@venus.tamu.edu kje2282@tamvenus.bitnet utspan::utadnx::venus::kje2282

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90  08:46:39 EST
From: murray%UMASS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: TeX driver for HP deskjet

In a recent INFO-IBMPC issue, Greg Economes asked about where one can get a
TeX device driver for the Hewlett-Packard Deskjet.

Such a driver, "PTIJET" is sold for $119 by Personal TeX, Inc., 12 Madrona
Ave., Mill Valley, CA 94941, phone (415) 388-8853.  I have not tried that
driver and have no connection with Personal TeX, Inc., except as a satisfied
customer (for other drivers and their PC-TEX).

Murray Eisenberg                       murray@math.umass.edu
Math/Stat Dept - LGRT
Univ. of Mass.
Amherst, MA 01003 USA

------------------------------
Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 90 01:09:04 MEZ
From: Marc Heinrich Prosenc <chstud5%dknkurz1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Creating Soft Fonts for HP Printers

 I would like to know how to creat soft fonts on HP-laserprinters and/or
deskjets.  I want to know the escape sequences and the description of the
code. Does some literature exist?

 thanks,
 marc

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Mar 90 23:08:22 EST
From: Michael Southwell <MGSYC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: graphics software and hardware

Can anyone help with recommendations for the following:

1.  color scanners, to turn a photo into a file OR cameras which record onto
floppies, which then can be transferred

2.  C graphics libraries which can be used to display the graphics file
(*.pcx or whatever)

The specific application here is to supplement an interactive videodisc
lesson with graphics which are specific to the situation.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Mar 90 20:53 EST
From: Courtmartial <ACSCHW%SEMASSU.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Tandy 100A and Various Basics

   I just purchased a used Tandy 100A with 640K ...    I have no
compatibility problems but one.... so far...

   I have generic MS-DOS 3.3 and can't run GWBASIC  (the screen blanks out,
with screen 0 I can get it to flash on).   With Generic MS-DOS 3.3 or IBM PC
DOS 3.3 loaded I can't run the two basics on the IBM PC DOS 3.3 disks

     BASIC and BASIC A   (I get interger overflow -- somthing overflow error)

[BASIC and BASICA are IBM programs where most of the program is loaded into
ROM.  If you don't have a 'true blue' PC, these two will not work...]

   Reply to me directly as I am not on the list.

Thanks,

    -- Curt

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr.  Senior in CIS @ Southeastern Massachusetts University
BITNET: ACSCHW@SEMASSU