Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/11/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 11 Mar 90       Volume 90 : Issue  41

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                     Crystal 3-D and AutoDesk Animator
                        4DOS 2.1 Shell (Correction)
                   get PC to auto call home when reboot
                           PageMaker and BITMAPS
                      RE: IBMs and Apple ImageWriters
                         Re: Internal modem query
                Problems with Kermit and an Internal Modem
                             Monitoring a lab
                      Russian Language Word Processor
                                 SigmaPlot
                         undocumented Op in 80286

Today's Queries:
                             IBM Actionwriter
                     Use of memory between 640k and 1M
                         Ventura claim on printer

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11 or
DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and
TREARN (Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  This system is a
subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents per hour.  It
is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink
outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are usually available on DDC
within 24 hours.

Date: 03 March 1990 05:36 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Crystal 3-D and AutoDesk Animator

>I have been using CRYSTAL 3-D for about 2 years and it should
>do what you want to do, however it may be over kill.  Are there others
>that may work on a PC, AMIGA, ATARI or MACINTOSH.

Give Autodesk Animator a try. It can't do everything Crystal can, but it's
definitely simpler to use. The user interface is a little quirky, but
surprisingly it doesn't distract much once you've gotten used to it.
  ____   _____      ___     __  __   ______
 /      |  _  \    /   \   |  \|  | |__  __|   .   .
|   ___ |     <   /  ^  \  |      |   |  |       .
 \____/ |__|\__| /_/---\_\ |__|\__|   |__|     \___/

Grant Hoover   *   University of Illinois at Chicago
Bitnet  u26264@uicvm     *     CompuServe  76370,314
Internet u26264@uicvm.cc.uic.edu  *  GEnie G.HOOVER6

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Mar 90 20:36:25 EST
From: udcps3!udecc!udcps3!sobol@afit-ab.arpa (Steven Sobol)
Subject: 4DOS 2.1 Shell (Correction)

In V90 #33, I said that 4DOS 2.1 is available from Gizmo's Place,
513-229-1913.  Oops. That's my phone number. Gizmo's Place is available at
513-253-0645. 7E1, 3/12/24. I apologize for any inconveniences this may have
called.  (I tried to send this message a while ago but had trouble with the
mailer.)

Steve Sobol | Founders Hall #318, U. of Dayton, Dayton, OH 45469
Internet:    sobol@udcps2.cps.udayton.edu  or steven.sobol@afitamy.fidonet.org
UUCP:     ...!uunet!dayvb!{udcps3|afitamy}!sobol
OhioBellNet: (513) 229-1913  FAX  (513) 228-3960
UD Flyers... NCAA DIVISION III NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS!

------------------------------

Date: 02 March 1990 05:35 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: get PC to auto call home when reboot

> My other idea was to run a communication program in his autoexec.bat which
>accepts login scripts. Basically what this does is when the computer reboots,
>and it executes autoexec, which executes the comm program, which runs the the
>login scripts to call his home and just beeps to try to get a carrier detect.

This sounds like a very good idea. A good number of shareware and less
expensive communications programs offer script capability, so it won't cost a
fortune if that's all he needs the program for. One thing you'll have to look
for, however, is the ability to run a script specified on the command line.
Most programs can do this, but not all.

I suggest Procomm (shareware) or Procomm Plus (its commercial cousin) because
they are generally easy to use and can do the command line trick you need.
For Procomm Plus as an example, the entry in your autoexec would look like
this:

    cd\pcplus
    pcplus /fcallhome

and callhome.asp (the script file) would contain these lines:

    mdial "274-7253"

There are more powerful script languages available, but they tend to cost
more and require more learning before anything gets done.

Good luck.
  ____   _____      ___     __  __   ______
 /      |  _  \    /   \   |  \|  | |__  __|   .   .
 \____/ |__|\__| /_/---\_\ |__|\__|   |__|     \___/

Date: Thu Mar 01 23:07:57 1990
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: PageMaker and BITMAPS

Contacted Microsoft regarding the PageMaker and BITMAP problem and received
the following information:

On the PageMaker problem, you might check to see if you have
rules enabled in either PageMaker or the PCL driver.

Rules are a feature of the LaserJet that allow you to put down
patterned rectangles.  HOWEVER, THEY ALWAYS APPEAR ON TOP OF THE
BITMAP EVEN IF THEY DON"T LOOK LIKE THAT ON THE SCREEN.

If you use rules, you better know what you are doing (i.e. make
sure that all objects which are going to be rendered as rules don't
sit below anything on your page, or it will be obliterated).

Disabling rules means these objects are rendered as bitmaps, with
normal behavior.

I have no idea if this is what you are actually encountering, but
it sounds possible.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Mar 90 16:18 PST
From: MicroMan <SAM@POMONA.CLAREMONT.EDU>
Subject: RE: IBMs and Apple ImageWriters

The ImageWriter is no different than any other third party printer.
Normally, it is up to the application to figure out how to print to a
printer.  That is why every application comes with specific printer drivers.
And they sometimes come with utilities so that if your printer is not listed,
then you can create  your own driver.

  For instance we have a local talk net with a mix of PCs and Macs.  XyWrite
comes with an ImageWriter driver and generally prints to it with no problems.
MS Word however does not.  They do come with a print driver builder.  (I
attempted this and decided it was not worth the effort because MS would soon
make one for us -- oops!)

Anyway, if you find out all the proper codes, it is not hard to add those
codes to your print job if you are printing from DOS.  However, since I do
not know what exactly you are printing from, I will not go into detail.  Feel
free to send me mail directly if you have questions.

Sam Cropsey
Microsystems Manager
Pomona College

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 Mar 90 19:44 MDT
From: Joe Doupnik <JRD@cc.usu.edu>
Subject: Re: Internal modem query

    In Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #32 Rich P. <rp@osc.com> wrote -

>    I have had problems with getting Kermit to work with an internal modem.
>At home I use kermit with an external modem with no problem.  When I use my
>father's machine,  which has an Everex 2400 baud internal modem, I can't get
>kermit to work.  The modem does work with the bitcom software that comes with
>it (Which I can't stand!!!).

>    I looked in the User's Guide for Kermit and it doesn't give me any help.
>Can someone help ??  I assume it has to do with which signals kermit is
>expected.  I'd like to not have to change the switches becuase my Dad uses
>the bitcom software.  Thanks!!

    There are two possible answers here.

    First, the modem may not be setup as a regular COM1 or COM2 device. MS-DOS
Kermit does nothing special with internal modems, but it does require that
they look like conventional serial ports. If the modem is used as COM3 or
COM4 then the system needs to be setup to use those additional ports.  For
details see the MS-DOS Kermit User's Manual on the topic of COM3/4 (near the
end of file MSKERM.DOC) or earlier versions of this Digest.

    Second, some internal modem designers have taken liberties with some signal
lines, OUT2 in particular, and that leads to conflicts. OUT2 is used to
enable/disable interrupt driver chips for the serial port, but I've had a
case were it turned on/off modem power to save batteries! If OUT2 were
misused then there is nothing which can be done short of obtaining Kermit
sources from Columbia and locally tailoring the code to that device.

    Btw, normally Kermit questions can be sent to
<Info-Kermit@watsun.cc.columbia.edu>.

Joe D.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Mar 1990 02:22:00 EST
From: "Scott A. Begin" <34RXESC%CMUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Problems with Kermit and an Internal Modem

I offer no suggestions, but sympathize with Rich Patterson (I-IBMPC #32).

I too have been having problems getting Kermit to work with my internal
modem, even though the Bitcom has no problems using it.  I am currently
encountering two problems:

1)   When the CONNECT command is issued, Kermit goes to terminal.  I can type
the Hayes command to dial (atdt9999999).   The problem I have is that the
commands do not show on the screen, and I get no message back when a
connection is established.  When the dial command is issued, the modem dials
with no problem.

2)   After an unsuccessfull attempt with Kermit, I escape back to MS-Kermit,
and exit from Kermit.  The next time I attempt to access either of my floppy
drives (360K) I get a "Not Reading Drive A" message.  My hard drive works
fine.

I had someone from Computer Services here on campus look at it and found no
solution.  We even hooked up a hayes external modem and Kermit worked fine.
Now for the strange things...

The Bitcom which came with the Modem has no problem getting it to work.

The YTerm (From Yale) which is also used, although not often, on this campus
had no problem getting characters to show on the screen.

When the modem was removed and placed in a different computer (A Zenith Data
Systems, 8088 running at 8MHz), the modem worked fine with the Kermit.

I can dial a computer with the Bitcom, exit to DOS without leaving Bitcom or
dropping the line, run the Kermit and have the Kermit work without a hitch
(so far).  I really find this to be a pain, but it is better than nothing and
a possible solution for Rich.   The command to exit to DOS from Terminal mode
is F2 option 4.   When in the middle of a session with Kermit, I can log off
(or get cut off), I can redial from Kermit without any problem.  When I exit
Kermit which was run from Bitcom, I experience no problems with my disk
drives, either while still in the DOS mode under Bitcom or after exiting
Bitcom.

The only thing I can figure out is that Kermit does not like the combination
of my Bios and the modem that I have.  I purchased the modem from Computer
Direct, Barrington, IL, for $79.  It has no brand name on it, and no
manufacturer listed either on the box or in the owners manual.
The computer I am using is a Laser Turbo XT,  4.77/10MHz 8088, BIOS
copyright Central Point Software dated 4/20/89.  I have no better results
when the computer is run in fast or slow mode.  I get the same results
when using MS-DOS 3.30 or the MS-DOS 4.01 which I have on my hard drive.

I have tried every suggestion given to me, including Gregory's suggestion to
use the mode command, setting the local echo on (hayes comands are displayed,
but not the incomming text), changing the port on the modem (it is currently
set to COM1, with the COM1 on my I/O board disabled), and everything else
under the sun.  If you have any other suggestions, I am happy to try.

If anyone knows of a solution to my problem, please me e-mail me. Right now I
am ready to go buy a different modem, test it with Kermit and return it if it
dosn't work, until I find a modem which works with my computer.

Thanks,
Scott A. Begin              (34RXESC)
322 Thorpe Hall
Central Michigan University (CMUVM.BITNET)
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
(517) 774-4996

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 Mar 90 11:47 MST
From: <MAGHRAN%NAUVAX.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Loading multiple applications from a C program

>   How can I load an application (.EXE) from a C program. I am trying to
>write a main menu in C which will load independent applications depending on
>the option chosen by the user and then return back to the menu. The
>applications are either EXE or COM files.

EXE and COM files can be run with the use of the various "spawn" functions.
The names of the functions begin with "spawn" and are applicable depending on
the use of the application(s).  The standard system() function is used
(normally) for executing internal operating system commands.

                                -Dan Maghran
                                MAGHRAN@NAUVAX.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Mar 90 13:27:57 EST
From: Peter Jones <MAINT%UQAM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Monitoring a lab

On  21 Feb 90 16:11 -0800, Thomas Wong <twong@civil.ubc.ca> said that a
colleague of his needs to be notified of blackouts in a lab.

I think Radio Shack has or had a voice-synthesis device to dial automatically
a preset phone number if an alarm condition develops and deliver a voice
message. The call is repeated if not acknowledged by a specific Touch Tone
code. Alternate numbers can be tried.

If called, the unit can report its status, including ambient temperature and
a relay contact, and it can send room sounds thourgh the telephone.

I don't remember if the device has its own battery power. If so, you'd still
have to be sure the phone system still works in a blackout :-) .

Peter Jones     MAINT@UQAM     (514)-987-3542
"Life's too short to try and fill up every minute of it" :-)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Mar 90 22:29:39 -0500
From: "Chris Wagner" <chris@beach.cis.ufl.edu>
Subject: Russian Language Word Processor

Horstmann Software (the makers of ChiWriter, a terrific scientific
wordprocessor for those who have to do lots and LOTS of equations) also make
a Russian Language word processor.

Contact them at:

Horstmann Software
140 E. San Carlos St. Suite #200
P.O. Box 5039
San Jose, CA  95150-5039  Phone(408) 298-0828

No connection with them, I have used ChiWriter in the past and have been very
satisfied.

Chris Wagner

------------------------------

Date: 02 March 1990 05:37 CST
From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: SigmaPlot

SigmaPlot is by:

Jandel Scientific
65 Koch Road
Corte Madera, CA 94925

800-874-1888 (outside CA)
415-924-8640 (inside CA)
415-924-2850 (FAX)
4931977      (Telex)

The latest version of the program is 4.0, released recently.
  ____   _____      ___     __  __   ______
 /      |  _  \    /   \   |  \|  | |__  __|   .   .
 \____/ |__|\__| /_/---\_\ |__|\__|   |__|     \___/

Date: Sat, 03 Mar 90 02:12:13 EDT
From: Joel Armengaud <ARMENGAU%FRECP12.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: undocumented Op in 80286

>From: "Grant Hoover" <U26264@UICVM.uic.edu>

>Recently <hl351ge%unidui.uucp@unido.bitnet> asked for information on the
>LOADALL operation.

>I have a file with detailed information on the LOADALL operation, and I
>think it has some or all of the information he's looking for,but I can't
>be sure because I don't understand a lot of the information in the file.

Yes indeed, a few month ago I sent this doc to all members of RED-UG list.
For obscure reasons Intel didn't document this opcode. It is a testing purpose
instruction that loads from 80:0 *all* CPU registers, even special ones
(like cache descriptors, and so on..). For this reason, there is a LOADALL
for the 286, and one for the 386, but completely incompatibles !

Using LOADALL is *not* easy... it is used in Smartdrive, Himem by Microsoft
to access memory above 1Mb without switching to protected mode. But look
at the code in XMS20.ARC, it's not obvious ! Besides, executing code
above 1Mb is nearly impossible (because interrupts reset the cache
descriptors).

An other way to use it, *for experts*, is in protected mode, to emulate
a real mode program (like the 386 with its VM86 mode). I think it is
what Microsoft does with Windows 3.0...

Hope this helps...        -Joel Armengaud

------------------------------
Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 90 14:03 EST
From:  <JSHIN%HAMPVMS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: IBM Actionwriter

Hello...

This might be a wrong group, but I hop this is as close to it as I can get...
Also, please reply to my address directly  since I don't get the digest of
this list.  My modem is too slow, and my quota is way too small.

Does any of you work for IBM or have close ties with them?  I need help on my
Actionwriter I typewriter - regarding the printer interface - and NOBODY
ANYWHERE is willing to help me.  This is my last resort, and the best I have
as a poor college student struggling with a dissertaion/thesis project...

   Thank you very much!

             -John Shin (JSHIN@HampVMS.bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 13:13:27 SET
From: Karl Keyte <ESC1332%ESOC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Use of memory between 640k and 1M

I have a 386 based AT clone with 4M memory on the motherboard.  I set up
memory above 1M as disk cache & other things which use extended memory.  My
question is, how do I use the memory between 640k and 1M?  Is it lost, can I
use it (somehow) as _expanded_ memory with an EMS driver?  Does it depend on
the machine configuration?  I can't seem to use it!  When the machine boots,
the RAM between 640 and 1024k is checked, and I've configured it at present
to shadow the BIOS and VGA ROMs, but that still leaves 256k unused.  Just
seems a shame!

Anyone have an insighted idea?

Karl
Acknowledge-To: <ESC1332@ESOC>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 14:03 N
From: <EFLIBROA%HMARL5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Ventura claim on printer

We are using Ventura 2.0 and WP 4.2 on a HPLJ-compatible printer.  3 PC's are
connected to the printer with a multiplexer. Our problem is that after having
printed with VP 2.0 on a certain PC it isn't possible to use the printer from
another PC. Trying to print with WP 4.2 gives the message "Printer not
ready". Are there any solutions for our problem ? Is it possible to change VP
in releasing the connection to the printer ?  All suggestions are welcome.

BTW, is there a list on Ventura-subjects?

[Although my search was NOT exhaustive, (I'm sure there is a listing of user
groups I don't have), I was unable to find an interest group specifically
on Ventura PageMaker on both the ARPAnet and USENET.  There IS a group on
USENET, comp.lang.postscript, that discusses the PostScript Page Description
Language.   gph]

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
| Theo Beekman                   |  Voice:   +32 43 888312          |
| Researchcentre for Education   |                                  |
|  and Labour Market (ROA)       |  Bitnet/EARN:  EFLIBROA@HMARL5   |
| Postbox 616                    |  Decnet:       RLMVX1::EFLIBROA  |
| 6200 MD Maastricht Holland     |                                  |

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------