Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/12/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 11 Mar 90       Volume 90 : Issue  43

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                        Black boxes with Pagemaker
                   Comments on Perstor-Controller wanted
                   QRAM and Intel AboveBoard (warning!)

                          8087 Emulation (2 msgs)
                          dma hardware/programing
                       Forking DOS processes from C
                         Programs for Deaf People
                           Kermit and Procomm242
                          Microsoft Windows v3.0
                     Track 0 Bad, Can it be (re)used?
                          More than 20 files open
                         Word count in MS Word 5.0

Today's Queries:
                              2 PC's network
                        dual hard drive controllers
                        Hard Disk Interfaces for AT
                              HDrive problems
                       HyperCard software for the PC
                     Preventing access to fixed disks

New Upload:
     UNZIP23U - Unix (BSD 4.2/4.3) source for unzip util (PKZIP 1.0x)

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11 or
DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and
TREARN (Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  This system is a
subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents per hour.  It
is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink
outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are usually available on DDC
within 24 hours.

Date: 5 Mar 90 00:02:05 GMT
From: munnari!shiva.trl.oz.au!stevens@uunet.UU.NET (Tony Stevens)
Subject: Black boxes with Pagemaker

I have had similar problems with Pagemaker, both on the printer and on the
screen.   I have found it necessary on my Wang PC382 machine & using
Windows/386 to close all windows and DOS applications and load Pagemaker
first.  It has also been necessary to remove all TSRs before going into
Windows.  Once Pagemaker is loaded I seems to then be able to run other DOS
and Windows Applications in background while working on Pagemaker.

Tony Stevens.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Mar 90 14:58:36 MEZ
From: Harald Klein <FPU21%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Comments on Perstor-Controller wanted

I have a Perstor controller, first in my AT-clone, now in a 386-clone.  It
does exceed the capacity by almost 90 percent: my Seatgate 251 disk with 42
MB now has 78 MB. It has been working more than a year now, now errors or
increasing number of bad sectors occured.

Also the KB/secs value increased from 240 KB/sec. to 300 KB/sec.  I have the
8-bit version of it, I don't know how the 16-bit version is, here in Germany
the 16-bit version is too expensive (the one and only dealer who imports
it).Two of my friends also have one, both are working fine.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 15:09:29 CST
From: moore@ncsc.navy.mil (Moore)
Subject: QRAM and Intel AboveBoard (warning!)

I recently received my (long overdue) copy of QRAM and Manifest.  Manifest is
great.  QRAM is lousy (at least for my application).  If you're considering
purchasing QRAM, please note the following:

from the rear cover of the QRAM documentation..."On PCs with EMS 4 or EEMS
expanded memory hardware, or Chips & Technologies shadow RAM, QRAM lets you
load and run programs in the memory area between 640K-1024K (high memory).
Depending upon your hardware, available memory in that area ranges from 30K
to 130K."  under system requirements..."Use of high memory is only available
when PC has EMS4 or EEMS expanded memory or Chips & Technologies shadow RAM."
So far so good.

but, when you turn to page 37 (appendix a: troubleshooting)..."Programs which
use expanded memory require all 4 of the available pages that make up the
page frame...[if after running Manifest] all you see is four "F"
characters...then there are no "extra" mappable pages for QRAM.SYS to use.
The [Intel] AboveBoard Plus offers an option chip which upgrades the board
from four mappable pages to more than four pages.  Count your board maker..."

So, it's with much disappointment that I watch QRAM try to load from my
CONFIG.  SYS (on my 286 with 2 Intel AboveBoards inside) and see "Nothing
Useful to do" displayed, and nothing else.  Of course my AboveBoards
(purchased from Zenith via the Navy's Dahlgren contract) DON'T have the
"option chip."

QRAM's user manual also makes the following (rather stupid) suggestion:  "If
you are NOT going to be using expanded memory in your programs [right!], ...
allow the 64K page frame to be used as an area of High RAM.  Other programs
will no longer be able to detect expanded memory, but the LOADHI programs
will now work." Great.  I get 64K high memory as trade for 4MB expanded
memory.

Perhaps I'm one of only a few users who DON'T have the smart version of
Intel's memory card, in which case I'll gladly receive your flames and >null.

On the positive side, Manifest DOES show a lot of information, it's a useful
little utility.  I think Quarterdeck should distribute it free to potential
QRAM purchasers so they can check if QRAM will do them any good whatsoever.
Also, Quarterdeck's technical reps have been very helpful and well-informed.

Sigh.

Jim Moore
moore@NCSC.navy.mil
Panama City, FL

P.S.  Quarterdeck just contacted me to let me know that I can get Intel's
option chip for $100 (!) directly from Intel.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 22:20 N
From: <BRATRICH%DULRUU51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: 8087 Emulation

8087 Emulation seems to be possible! Some time ago, we purchased a
software-package called TurboProfessional for Turbo-Pascal 4.0.  With this
package came a program called EMUL87, placed on an additional 'bonus-disk'.
This TSR does nearly full 8087-emulation (by opcode trapping I guess). The
program seems to work with most programs we have tested (ACAD 9.0 etc.). The
SPEED87 program reports: "Your 80287 is running at a speed of 0.8 MHz" on my
20MHz(0WS) AT.  Here are the first lines of the doc-file:

Written by Martin Weigel 12/87
           Compuserve [76237,733]

EMUL87 is a terminate but stay resident program that emulates the
functionality of the 8087 math coprocessor for Turbo Pascal programs. It
requires an 80286 or 80386 processor to operate. Using the EMUL87 programs
allows the fastest possible floating point math on machines with the math
coprocessor, while still allowing program operation on most common hardware
(AT, no 287). You can use inline 8087 instructions, without worrying!  (...)

The software TurboProfessional is offered by TurboPower, but --- with the
upgrade to TurboProf. 5.0, EMUL87 was removed from the 'bonus-disk'.  Perhaps
you might contact the author or TurboPower directly.

Michael Bratrich                           Universitaet Ulm
                                           Abt. Exp. Physik
Bitnet:   BRATRICH@DULRUU51                Albert-Einstein-Allee 11
Internet: BRATRICH@RZ.UNI-ULM.DBP.DE       D 7900 Ulm
Phone:    +49 (0)731 / 176-2501            West-Germany

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 6:15:14 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)

Greg,  I think the way 8087 emulation is done is that the 8088 has a facility
to trap illegal instructions.  When an 8087 instruction is encountered on a
PC with no 8087 chip, a processor interrupt is generated to handle the
illegal instruction.  The instruction handler can identify the address of the
instruction, and parse it to see if it is one that it recognizes.

I do not know this to be the case, but it is how we did it on a similiar
processor back in the stone age.  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu   < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wugate!wubios!david         v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 90 10:41:22 EST
From: john <munnari!tasis.utas.oz.au!john@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: Re: dma hardware/programing

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>I intend making a pc-at (16MHz '386) add-on card, incorporating a 12 bit
>a>d converter with transfer to memory by DMA.  Could someone out there who

But this has been done many times already, even in this remote corner of the
world there's a company making 13-bit A/D boards with DMA capability for
$A550 (8 channels) or $A650 (16 channels) (note the $A - not to be confused
with the green type!).  They include source for drivers in Pascal, C (and
soon BASIC and FORTRAN, because the engineers here insist on using it!). This
must be less than the cost of a prototype run of PTH boards, artwork, etc,
etc!

Email me if I can send you more details (I designed the board for them!).

john@tasis.utas.oz

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 20:06 EST
From: <MSALETNI%TUFTS.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu> (I Hate Computers!)
Subject: Re: Forking DOS processes from C

In Info-IBMPC, STG7%IBRDVM1.BITNET@CORNELLC.CIT.EDU (Ann Johnson) asked about
running other programs from C, I can answer your question for Microsoft C 5.x

Use the spawn function for non-overlayed subprocesses:

int exit_code;
exit_code=spawnl(P_WAIT, char *path, char *arg0, char *arg1, ..., NULL);

overlayed subprocesses:

if (spawnl(P_OVERLAY, char *path, char *arg0, char *arg1, ..., NULL) ==
        -1) printf("Error occured);

simultaneously forked subprocesses:

int child_process_id;
child_process_id=spawnl(P_NOWAIT, char *path, char *arg0, ..., NULL);

And, for DOS commands/batch files/anything you want a new COMMAND.COM
forked for, use the system command:

system(const char *string);

example: system("dir");

There are many more forms of the SPAWN command, and if you weren't concerned
with returning to the calling program, you could use EXEC, too.  I suggest a
good book on Microsoft C, my impartial opinion is "The Waite Group's
Essential Microsoft C."  It's an *excellent* reference.

I can answer further, more technical questions if you contact me directly.  I
have written programs that do what you asked about.

                        |-----------------------|
                        | Michael J. Saletnik   |
                        | Civil Engineering     |
|-----------------------| Tufts University      |
|       BitNet: msaletni@tufts                  |
|       CSNet:  msaletni@jade.tufts.edu         |
|-----------------------------------------------|

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 11:35:58 -0500
From: murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy)
Subject: Re: Programs for Deaf People

In article <9003020114.AA10127@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> you write:
>From: Jan Sirks <SIRKS%HROEUR1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

>>  Does anyone know if there software for training deaf people?  I am
>>interested in programs for the sign language, but also in educational
>>programs for deaf children.  Information about both public domain and
>>commercial programs are welcome.
>
>At that time, my sister, a Speech-Language Pathologist happened to be
>watching me read mail.. and she caught sight of your question...  as a
>result, she's come across a listing in a catalog for a software package
>called: SIGN LANGUAGE QUIZ.
>
>The catalog describes it as follows:
>
>  This effective computer program teaches the alphabet, simple words, and the
>numbers 1 - 10 in American Sign Language.  Signs are flashed on the screen
>for 10 seconds, and the learner indicates the corresponding character.
>Quizzes increase in difficulty, and additional lessons can be added.  Not
>copy protected, requires IBM computer, 384k RAM, CGA, EGA, MCGA, or VGA
>graphics; DOS 2.0 or later.
>
>  Part number D770	$59.00
>
>  Available from The Speech Bin
>                 1766 Twentieth Avenue
>                 Vero Beach, Florida  32960
>                 407-770-0007

There are two programs that come to my mind for the hearing impaired.  The
first of the is Video Voice made by Micro Video out of Michigan.  The second
is a product by IBM called speechview or something like that.  IBM's product
can be seen in some of their commercials for the PS/2 line of computers.
Essentially, it samples a person's voice and provides feedback in the form of
on screen animation.  As I understand it IBM's product is an educational
game.

Video Voice is more familiar to me.  My wife is a Speech-Language Pathologist
and brought home a promo-video of Video Voice.  First off it is expensive,
$3000 for an Apple II version.  ( I am certain that there is an IBM version )
Video VOice has a variety of modes in which therapy or training can be run.
There is a game mode where a formant 1 vs. formant 2 example pattern is
displayed on the screen as a series of pixels.  The subject then has to
create the same pattern by repeating the target word into the microphone and
obscuring the pixel pattern with his own.  A second mode is the Pitch/
Amplitude/Rythym display to assist the hearing impaired to learn how to place
the proper emPHASis on the correct sylLABle as well as intonation within a
sentence.

Part of the expense of the Video Voice is the hardware which includes a DSP
chip to provide "real time" analysis of the input data.  There is also
hardware which is necessary to get the data from the Video Voice module into
the computer in the form of an A/D card.  While the price is expensive, It
seems to be a better solution than IBM's program.

Hope this helps.

 Bill Murphy                          murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Enjoying my Amiga 2000, but holding out for a real computer: The Amiga 3000!!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 11:38 EDT
From: DATAUB%VASSAR.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: Kermit and Procomm242

Oscar Manley, in Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #35, writes:

>On the convertible, the upload works like a charm; but when I try to
>download with the kermit in procomm, after a few moments of grinding away, I
>get the message "Can't open file", and I am returned to the distant kermit
>(vax/unix).

Well Oscar, you are in luck.  I had the same problem at one point with
Procomm+ and was not sure what to do.  Luckily, I had managed to make the
transfer work previously, so I knew I had changed something in the recent
past.  As it turns out, I had deleted the download directory which Procomm+
pointed to, so KERMIT immediately did not work anymore.

While I have not used Procomm 2.4.2 in a long while, I seem to remember
something about download directories in that version of the program.  Take a
look at what the download path is pointing to.  If you change the download
directory, or recreate it, Kermit should work fine...

I hope this helps...

        Danny Taub
        DATAUB@VASSAR.BITNET

(No cute pictures nor wise sayings... (I'll get one))

------------------------------

Date: Mon Mar  5 17:56:26 1990
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Windows v3.0

Tim Williams <ST6074%SIUCVMB.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> asked about Microsoft
Windows 3.0 (V90 #37):

>Can anyone tell me when Windows 3.0 will be released? ... Have they released
>any dates, or any verified specs on it?  Also, will registered 2.11 owners
>get a free upgrade, or what will their policy be?

I contacted Mr. Ralph Huskey in Microsoft's Customer Service.  This is what I
found out:

Windows 3.0 has not been announced yet and is still undergoing extensive
testing.  A release date has not yet been fixed.  As such, pricing
information including "free" dates, if any, are not available.  Registered
owners of Microsoft Windows will automatically receive update coupons in the
mail when it is released.  Owners of Microsoft Windows who have not
registered their program can request an update coupon and get additional
information about the release after it has been announced by calling the
Microsoft Information Center at (800) 426-9400.

If anyone else would like to contact Ralph, you can reach him at Microsoft
Customer Service at (206) 882-8088.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Mar 90 14:58:36 MEZ
From: Harald Klein <FPU21%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: Track 0 Bad, Can it be (re)used?

Well, that depends if you can perform a low level formatting of the hard
disk. Just use software which allows low level formatting (e.g.  SpeedStor or
OnTrack) and specify the range of cylinders manually.  So you do a low level
formatting from track 1, 2 or 3 instead of 0.  If you are lucky it works.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Mar 90 14:58:36 MEZ
From: Harald Klein <FPU21%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: More than 20 files open

This is a problem of MS-DOs (My Systen desires overkill status).  I cannot be
solved increasing the numbers of files in the CONFIG.SYS file.

If you are using C, you must increase the numbers of files in the variable
_N_FILES in the appropriate header file.

Secondly you must increase the value of the file handles (INT 67, set handle
count) in your program. Be sure that you don't allocate all heap space at
startup time. In a German computer magazine called c't there is a Pascal
program (#8/1989) who does it. I am looking for an equivalent in C.

------------------------------

Date: TUE, 06 MAR 90 03.57.03  EDT
From: "Mark S. Domalewski" <URPC%MARISTC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: Word count in MS Word 5.0

In responce to Dominic Wujastyk's question concerning working out a way a way
to get a word count on Microsoft Word 5.0, it is much easier than writing a
program in C to do it.

The quickest and easiest way to do this is to print the file to file.  Just
give the file a name of NUL, which as we all know is the DOS device which
does nothing.  Word will print to the NUL device as if it were a real file,
and when complete, it will give you a word count.

Don't you think that is easier?  Although a feature would have been a lot
more simple and easier on us users.

Later,
Mark

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  5 Mar 90 14:55 MET
From: <ANNEKE%RUUCLA.SURFNET%HASARA5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: 2 PC's network

Hello networkers,
We want to connect two PC's via a type of LAN to share files and if possible
run applications on the remote machine too. I have seen several programs for
this in the SIMTEL libraries but I'd like to know which one to use.  I don"t
want a resident program or device driver to take much memory.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks an advance!
Anneke

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 17:58:05 EST
From: "Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E" <mchinni@PICA.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: dual hard drive controllers

Hi,

	I have a Packard Bell Legend II (AT compatable) with a controller for both
floppies and a RLL 30MB hard drive. I am planning on upgrading with another
hard drive (60+MB).

	My question is: If I get a SCSI drive kit (drive, controller, cables) can
I install it into my system AND still be able to use my current hard drive?
I contacted Packard Bell but they weren't sure, but were leaning towards no.

	Please respond to me and I will summarize if need be.

Michael J. Chinni
Chief Scientist
Simulation Techniques and Workplace Automation Team
US Army Armament Research, Development, and Engineering Center
Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey

ARPA: mchinni@pica.army.mil
UUCP: ...!uunet!pica.army.mil!mchinni

[I don't think you can.  Don't know the technical details, but the
electronics mounted on the drive are different.  They're 'intelligent' (for
lack of a better word) where the normal ST-506 interface is not.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  6 MAR 90 11:04:32 GMT
From: KC_QUICK%VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Hard Disk Interfaces for AT

Does anyone who subscribes to the list know if there is an SMD hard disk
interface card available for the AT or 386 machines.

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 00:58:00 EST
From: YORK LAM <8841258@JHEvax.McMaster.CA>
Subject: HDrive problems

As I was saying before the computer crashed again...

I have a Seagate ST-225, and for some strange reason, it causes the computer
to crash/hang almost exactly 30mins after boot-up (be it cold or warm).  I
have tried another drive in its place and everthing seemed to work fine.  I
have also tried disconnecting the hdrive cable but leaving the card in, and
the computer is okay.  The drive works fine up till the 30mins.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?  Why 30mins?

York Lam
"8841258@jhevax.mcmaster.ca"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 09:56:43 EST
From: horan@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Frederick Horan)
Subject: HyperCard software for the PC...

I am looking for a relatively simple Hypercard construction kit that I can
use to build an easy to use database.  I would like to produce a standalone
program that would have all information encapsulated.

I was looking at HyperPAD ($149 list from Brightbill-Roberts) but found that
it does not produce standalone applications.  I am now interested in
HyperBase ($249 list for the Developer version from Cogent Software) but have
not found any reviews of it.  If anyone knows anything about HyperBase or
other related products, please let me know.

   Fred Horan (horan@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu)

"Well, *I* liked it!"
        - R. Strauss, after an emotionally stunned audience
          sat blankly after the closing piece in his macabre
          opera, _Elektra_.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 11:27:10 EST
From: Etakeyam@xls-plexus01.letterkenn-emh1.army.mil
Subject: Preventing access to fixed disks

Nobody really appreciates the joys and agonies of 'twitling bits' like fellow
programmers!  So let's twitle a few....

I have a PC on my desk which is as well behaved and mild mannered as anyone
could ever ask.  Since I am gainfully employed as a 'programmer' of PCs this
makes my 'gain' of 'filthy lucre'  quite convient.  However, much to my
suprize, I discovered that it was doing 'things' behind my back!  It's not
like I discovered strange diskettes hanging around flirting with the hard
drive but it was equally as disturbing....

This all started one day as a project to disable access to the fixed disk
when booting the system off the floppy drive.  Ah, that was simple enough to
accomplish once I had the right information from my first 'cry for help' to
this network.  However, my computing environment is composed of PCs from
multiple 'low bidders'.  Ergo,  in the great relative computing universe
there is only one standard, none.  What works for one machine here does not
work over there.  Then to make the bit bouilon reflect a more delicate
bouquet DOS 3.3+ was introduced. DOS 3.3+ had NO sense of humor when it came
to the modification to the partitions I was performing!

In an effort to 'standardize' the problem, I determined (as well as being
determined) I needed to rewrite the boot record.  This is where I discovered
something interesting....

There is a byte in partition table that informs DOS to use that partition to
boot.  I assumed that it was part of the first 512 bytes of the disk.  You
know what they say about assumptions...it is still true.  Int 13h will obtain
and display the partition information....Int 25h (when instructed) will not!
What gives?

To make things even more interesting the buffers displayed (under D86) show
different information for Int 13h and 25h.  It sounds like DOS is doing
something behind my back!

IS there some way I can prevent access to the fixed disk when booting from
the floppy that will be more transportable?

What gives with Int 13h and 25h?

Where is the perfect Tao of programming....have I lost my way?

Believe me, any enlightenment would truely be appreciated....

SAMURAI SYSTEMS PROGRAMMER

AV:     570-9191
COM:   (717) 267-9191
EMAIL: etakeyam@xls-plexus01.letterkenn-emh1.army.mil