Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/17/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 17 Mar 90       Volume 90 : Issue  47

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                        Black Boxes using PageMaker
                    Creating Soft Fonts for HP Printers
                Step by step SIMTEL ==> VAX ==> PC FTP'ing
                     Re: Forking DOS processes from C
             Maxon MVGA programming info (IBMPC-Digest 90#37)
                   Source for TEX-Driver for HP-DeskJet
                     VT100/VT220 Capture Buffer Needed

Today's Queries:
               Interest Group on Games and Gaming Available?
            Source for TEX-Driver for Kyrocera F1000 Available?
           Splitting up Freemacs Files or Expanding Lesdisk.com

New Upload:
     UNZIP24U - Unix (BSD 4.2/4.3) source for unzip util (PKZIP 1.0x)

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11 or
DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and
TREARN (Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  This system is a
subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents per hour.  It
is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink
outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are usually available on DDC
within 24 hours.

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 11:26:44 PST
From: EETP735%CALSTATE.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: Black Boxes using PageMaker

Most of you have figured out that problems occur using Pagemaker when there
is insufficient memory to run the program.  PageMaker for PC requires 550k
ram to work properly.

PageMaker is shipped with a program named Memory.exe that will reveal the
memory available on your system (expanded and extended included). Try running
the Memory program running only DOS and see how much memory you have. Then
try running it under windows.  Here are a few suggestions to solve memory
problems while using PageMaker:

 1. Write a special config.sys and autoexec.bat file and strip out
unnecessary devices, file, buffer and memory resident programs.  Devices,
excess files, and excess buffers use up precious memory.  Files should be
Files=20, and Buffers should be Buffers=20.

 2. If you are running Windows 286 or better, and have any memory above 640k,
be sure and install Windows using Himem.sys. This assigns 64k of the Windows
program to the extra memory.

 3. Be careful using those flashy menus and tools that you can call up from
any program. They are memory resident and will cause problems.

I have found that if you keep your system simple while you are using
PageMaker, things will go smoother and faster.  Another tool I have found
useful for looking at memory is a program named RMM It tells what programs
are using memory, and at what addresses--it also tells what interupts they
are using. I have only an old version of RMM, however, and wonder if anyone
knows where I can pick up a newer version. I know it is on some bulletin
board somewhere.

Fran Holtsberry

Cal State Chico
eetp735@calstate.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 09:58:30 EST
From: Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.org) <jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org>
Subject: Creating Soft Fonts for HP Printers

In INFO-IBMPC 90:39 Marc Prosenc asks for a pointer to documentation about
the format of soft fonts for the HP LaserJet printers.

Although one tech rep at HP I talked to insisted that the format was a trade
secret, HP documents the interesting material in the technical reference
manual for the printer.  I don't have a copy at hand so I can't cite the part
number for you, but you should be able to get it from any HP distributor or
support office.

HP has a WATS line available and can take phone orders with payment by
plastic.

You may also want to check the recent SIMTEL20 posting:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.PRINTER>
SHOWPCL.ARC   B   25437  900227  Hewlett Packard PCL file disassembler

Joe Morris

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Mar 90 10:37:23 CST
From: Tony Phillips <S102066@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU>
Subject:  Step by step SIMTEL ==> VAX ==> PC FTP'ing

Hello.  I've been noticing that many people have been having trouble doing
transfers to their PC's from SIMTEL.  I have been having great luck with it
so far, so I thought I would share my information with you.

I am on a VM/CMS mainframe that uses Kermit-CMS Version 4.0 for a host.  I
have an IBM-XT compatible with Procomm Version 2.4.2 for my system.  One
think everybody should have is SIMIBM.IDX and SIMTEL35.ARC.  The first is a
list of all the files in the MSDOS dirtectories of SIMTEL.  The latter pro-
gram is a viewing utility with search, print, and all kinds of other nice
features.

      --------------->  FTP site to your mainframe site <------------------
The first step in transfering files is to get them to your system via FTP, my
system uses TCP/IP FTP Version 1.2.1.

Here's where a lot of problems arise.  You must tell FTP how to transfer the
files, using the TYPE command.  Here's more info:

For 7 bit files (I.E. Source files, SIMIBM.IDX, ASM, etc..) Do the following:

     TYPE L 7
     GET filename

and it will be transfered.  If you attempt to transfer an 8 bit file using
type L 7, ftp will tell you that you are attempting to download a non 7 or 36
bit file, and will abort.  No problem.

For 8 bit files (I.E.  Program files, SIMIBM.ARC, other archived files,
etc..)

    BINARY

       (FTP will respond with a warning about downloading binary files, and
suggests the use of TYPE L 8.)  Other FTP versions may not recognize the
BINARY command.  If this is the case, use the command TYPE I.  This sets FTP
to send an "image" file.

    TYPE L 8  (set file length to 8 bit...)

If after transfering 8 bit and binary files you attempt to download a 7 bit
file, you will get no warning that your file will be corrupted, so make sure
you re-issue the TYPE L 7 command to return to the 7 bit protocol.

    ---------------> Your Mainframe site to your PC  <----------------------

Once all of the files have been stored on your mainframe site, it's time to
download them to your PC.

If you are downloading a mixture of 7 and 8 bit files, I recommend getting
the 7 bit first.  Here's how:

Enter Kermit-CMS server mode.

If you are using PROCOMM V2.4.2, go to the Setup menu, (Alt-S) and then to
the Kermit file transfer options screen and change the file type from binary
to text.  This is the equivalent of changing from 8 to 7 bit format.

Enter the Kermit Server command area, (Alt-K) and begin getting the files.

-1

For 8 bit transfers:

Enter Kermit-CMS and enter the command:  SET FILE BINARY.  THis is a must!
begin getting the files.

When transfering with PROCOMM, don't worry if the program informs you that
its done transfering the file if it seems it may have more to go.  I've
noticed that Procom's K-count when transfering isn't too acurate.

I hope this helps a lot of you out.  I havn't had too much luck transfering
with Kermit-MS for the PC, so if anyone who uses that program has good luck
with it, I'd like to here from you.

Thanks a million!

Tony Phillips (S102066@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 20:06 EST
From: <MSALETNI%TUFTS.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu> (I Hate Computers!)
Subject: Re: Forking DOS processes from C

In Info-IBMPC, STG7%IBRDVM1.BITNET@CORNELLC.CIT.EDU (Ann Johnson) asked about
running other programs from C, I can answer your question for Microsoft C 5.x

Use the spawn function for non-overlayed subprocesses:

int exit_code;
exit_code=spawnl(P_WAIT, char *path, char *arg0, char *arg1, ..., NULL);

overlayed subprocesses:

if (spawnl(P_OVERLAY, char *path, char *arg0, char *arg1, ..., NULL) ==
        -1) printf("Error occured);

simultaneously forked subprocesses:

int child_process_id;
child_process_id=spawnl(P_NOWAIT, char *path, char *arg0, ..., NULL);

And, for DOS commands/batch files/anything you want a new COMMAND.COM forked
for, use the system command:

system(const char *string);

example: system("dir");

There are many more forms of the SPAWN command, and if you weren't concerned
with returning to the calling program, you could use EXEC, too.  I suggest a
good book on Microsoft C, my impartial opinion is "The Waite Group's
Essential Microsoft C."  It's an *excellent* reference.

I can answer further, more technical questions if you contact me directly.  I
have written programs that do what you asked about.

                        |-----------------------|
                        | Michael J. Saletnik   |
                        | Civil Engineering     |
|-----------------------| Tufts University      |
|       BitNet: msaletni@tufts                  |
|       CSNet:  msaletni@jade.tufts.edu         |
|-----------------------------------------------|

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 14:36:08 +0100
From: a0045@rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE (Jochen Roderburg)
Subject: Maxon MVGA programming info (IBMPC-Digest 90#37)

The *Super-VGA* 256-color-modes of the various cards are much easier to
program than the 16-color EGA/VGA modes with their complicated color planes.
The adressing is strict linear, one byte for each pixel color value, and
overall the addressing is managed in 64K-segments with bank switching. IBM
restricted its own VGA to the 320x200 pixel resolution which doesn't need
more than 64K video memory, and therefore they didn't set a standard for the
bank switching, and that's the point where every Super-VGA chipset has its
own conventions.

There is a file in the SIMTEL/TRICKLE archives, which has explanations and
programs for the common cards, look for <MSDOS.VGA>VGAKIT.ARC.

Jochen Roderburg
Regional Computing Center
University of Cologne         Tel. :   +49-221/470-4564
Robert-Koch-Str. 10           BITNET:  A0045 @ DK0RRZK1 (IBM VM/CMS)
D-5000 Koeln 41                    or  A0045 @ DK0RRZK0 (CDC NOS/BE)
West Germany              Internet:  a0045 @ rrz.uni-koeln.de (VAX Ultrix)

------------------------------

Date: 12 Mar 90 14:59 +0100
From: "12-MAR-1990 14:56:45.99" <pas97@rz.uni-kiel.dbp.de>
Subject: Source for TEX-Driver for HP-DeskJet

1) On INFO-IBMPC 90:39 there was a reply concerning TEX-Driver for
HP-Deskjet, searched by Greg Economes.

I've just downloaded a PD-driver from a Bitnet Listserver for a friend of
mine, but he hadn't test it yet. The program was written at the computing
centre, university of muenster (West-Germany, still a difference... ) and so
I think part of the documentation is in German. You can get it by sending a
mail to LISTSERV@DHDURZ1.BITNET, containing the lines

      SEND RUMHELP UUE
      SEND RUMDJET UUE
(Attention: no dots between filename and extension!)

There are some other drivers, I think for printing pictures in RUMDVI1 UUE,
RUMDVI2 UUE, RUMDOC UUE and RUMPXL UUE. (Use same syntax like above for a
request). After UUEncoding then you wil get .ARC and/or self- extracting
.EXE-Files.

Best regards

Detlef Werner
Inst. fuer Theor. Physik
Leibnitzsrasse 15
D-2300 Kiel 1 (better say cool then kiel)
West-Germany
PAS97@rz.uni-kiel.dbp.de

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 15:17:46 EST
From: Jose Passalacqua SMCAR-CCL-P <passalacqua@cc1.pica.army.mil>
Subject: VT100/VT220 Capture Buffer Needed

Leonard Abbey <LABBEY@GTRI01.gatech.edu> writes:

> I need to find a way to capture a VT100 or VT220 session to a PC disk file.
> If I can get sessions with our accounting database into a file, I can then
> manipulate/analyze it in ways which the database designers did not forsee,
> but are now important.  This is being done by hand in other departments.

> I have tried Procomm, Procomm Plus, and CONCOPY, but these either stop
> recording when VT100 is reached, or return a jumbled mess.  The solution (if
> any) needs to be inexpensive or free.

Kermit Version 3.00 has a replay feature which could aid in solving your
problem.  You can capture any or all of your VT102 or VT320 session to disk
and replay it later on your PC.  The replay feature is a little crude though
and can only be controlled with ^S & ^Q stop/start sequences.  You would
probably have to use a screen capture program (like screen import in Borland
Sidekick's notepad) to grab information from the replays.  The new kermit
release only comes with a very short manual though.  The 'LOG SESSION
<filename>' command works just like previous version.  To replay a session
type 'REPLAY <filename>', where filename is the name of the capture file.

Jose Passalacqua
Picatinny Arsenal, NJ

------------------------------
Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 11:03 EST
From: MCCONNAUGHEY%NIEHS.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: Interest Group on Games and Gaming Available?

Could anyones possibly provide a good reference covering the essentials of
games programming?  QuickBasic would be ideal but general references would be
helpful.  (in lieu of buying a nintendo my child & I have agreed to attempt
to clone super mario bros (sic).)  Any port in a storm.

Thanks
Bob McConnaughey@niehs

------------------------------

Date: 12 Mar 90 14:59 +0100
From: "12-MAR-1990 14:56:45.99" <pas97@rz.uni-kiel.dbp.de>
Subject: Source for TEX-Driver for Kyrocera F1000 Available?

2) On the other hand I'm searching a IBM-PC driver for a Kyrocera F1000,
which is a less than 100% HP-Laserjet compatible printer (font downloading
doesn't work). I've got a c-source for such a driver, but I was not able to
get a running version of it.

Is there a non-comercial version for such a driver anywhere?  If yes, where
and how can I get it?

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 01:00:54 -0500
From: gt4016b@prism.gatech.edu (Craig Champlin)
Subject: Splitting up Freemacs Files or Expanding Lesdisk.com

I would like to be able to run freemacs from a ram drive located in extended
memory.  I am using the LESDISK.ARC ram drive and for some reason can only
set up a 96K drive.  I have 1 Meg memory which should give me 384K extended,
but if I try setting up a drive <= 97K my system freezes.  I could get around
this problem if I could figure out how to split up the freemacs files.  It is
the quick access of a ram drive that I am looking for.  Anyway, the files it
seems to look for are: EMACS.EXE, EMACS.ED, KEYS.ED, and USER.ED.  These
files together are about 110K.  It would be adequate to just load some of
these files from the ram drive, but EMACS.EXE seems to want to find
everything in the same directory.  (I did set an environment variable
EMACS=c:\Emacs.dir) Any advise?

Subject: New Upload:
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 1990  09:59 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>