Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/20/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 20 Mar 90       Volume 90 : Issue  49

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                            Digital Simulation
                          dma hardware/programing
                     HyperCard software for the PC...
               Installation of program by changing EXE-file
                      Problems with FTP from Simtel20

Today's Queries:
                     PD/ShareWare equivelent of SCCS?
                        '386 MARK/RELEASE Problems
                                 HD Parker
                              Hypercard -> PC
                    Problems with 'Disk Change' Signal
                             Library Database?
                Ntsc and pal-m systems to connection IBMPC
                           PC-SIG Disks on BBS?
                Request for 286 Memory Management Solutions
                  WATCOM's smaller C executables -- how?

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11 or
DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and
TREARN (Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  This system is a
subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents per hour.  It
is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink
outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are usually available on DDC
within 24 hours.

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 10:24 EDT
From: "Navin Ganeshan, UDC Computing Services, Wash DC"
Subject: Digital Simulation

         Someone asked about Digital simulation s/w.

     If you're interested in digital sim. s/w for PCs, there's a fairly good
package called LogicMaster.  It includes a small library of LS chips and
about 50 circuits already built.  It lets you "build" circuits on-screen and
then test them by simulating inputs.

     A local university uses this for a Hardware Design course, and it's
available for about $ 30.  But, this is ONLY for students, not for serious
design work !  (The only powerful simulation package I know runs on an Apollo
3500 :)
                                                Navin  S. Ganeshan
              +-------------------------------+--------------------+
             / Navin S. Ganeshan             / NGANESHA @ UDCVAX  /
            / Academic Computing Services   / GANE0155 @ UDCVAX  /
           / University of D.C.            / ZCSTIN01 @ UDCVM   /
          / Washington D.C.               +--------------------/

------------------------------

Date: 13 Mar 90 15:05:31 GMT
From: motcid!smithju%cell.mot.COM@uunet.UU.NET (Justin A. Smith)
Subject: dma hardware/programing

john <munnari!tasis.utas.oz.au!john@uunet.UU.NET> writes:

>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>>I intend making a pc-at (16MHz '386) add-on card, incorporating a 12 bit
>>a>d converter with transfer to memory by DMA.  Could someone out there who

>But this has been done many times already, even in this remote corner of the
>world there's a company making 13-bit A/D boards with DMA capability for
>$A550 (8 channels) or $A650 (16 channels) (note the $A - not to be confused
>with the green type!).  They include source for drivers in Pascal, C (and
>soon BASIC and FORTRAN, because the engineers here insist on using it!). This
>must be less than the cost of a prototype run of PTH boards, artwork, etc,
>etc!

Sounds like the easyest way to go, but if you want the challenge there was a
good artical in januarys Dr. Dobbs giving all the info you would need to
handle the DMA part on the PC.

Regards Justin Smith.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 14:16:34 PST
From: Greg Pisanich <greg@eos.arc.nasa.gov>
Subject: HyperCard software for the PC...

Hi Fred,
    I saw your posting asking about Hypercard programs for the PC.  I'm
looking for the same thing, but for different reasons.

    There's a program called Link-Way out that is supposedly a substantial
program, but I haven't been able to get a look at it yet.

    I was wondering if you could pass any phone number or address of the two
you were looking at.  (pass on any phone number).  Also, if you get any good
reviews.... I'm going to post something also, if I find out anything
interesting, I'll send a copy to you.

Thanks,

Greg    (Greg@eos.arc.nasa.gov)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 10:52 MET
From: <ANNEKE%RUUCLA.SURFNET%HASARA5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Installation of program by changing EXE-file

I posted the same question to the Turbo C discussion group. Below
is my message to this group about the replies I got.

Here's to all of you who requested a summary of the answers I got on my
question "How do I install my program like TCINST does with TC.EXE".  The
answers fell into two categories.

1 - compile two versions, one with configuration A and one with B. Use file
comparison utility to find the differences. These are the locations the
sepearte install program has to change in the executable file.  This has the
drawback that the locations change whenever a minor modification is made to
the program (and when is a program really ok?).

2 - make a declaration like: static char *myconfig="CONFIG   "; and let the
install program search the EXE-file for the string CONFIG (make sure it is an
unique signature!) and put its information right behind this string. In the
EXE-file the information can be used by something like:
option=atoi(*(myconfig+6));. This method is the method of choice if the
program is likely to be modified in the future (and which program is not?)

I hope this helps. Thanks to everybody who sent suggestions. I will use the
second method in my program, because it is still in the development stage.

Anneke Sicherer-Roetman, Utrecht University, Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 18:10 CST
From: <MCL9337%TAMSTAR.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Problems with FTP from Simtel20

I have attempted several different combinations of the FTP parameters in
an attempt to get binary files from SIMTEL to my system (a VAX using VMS).

As so many have figured out... there is something double-plus ungood at
SIMTEL.  I have been forced to resort to the extremely slow wuarchive.wustl
to get the software I need.  All that is required there is to use the BIN
command locally and it works!

Are there any other places with the SIMTEL msdos archives on-line that are as
fast as accessing SIMTEL?  The average download speed FTP reports for
wuarchive is pathetic! ( ~1300 baud ) compared to the 10's of k-bauds the
path to SIMTEL provides!

HELP!  [Take a look in the last Digest (V90 #47)  It should have a step by step
description of how to get from Simtel20 ==> VAX ==> PC.  I've forwarded this
message separately.  gph]

MCL9337@tamvenus.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 10:29:07 BST
From: "C.D.G.Stross" <pg8928%computing.bradford.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK>
Subject: PD/ShareWare equivelent of SCCS?

Hi there.

1)    Does anyone know of a public domain/shareware equivalent of SCCS that
runs under MS-DOS? I'm investigating version control systems for a possible
project and want to poke around with one if it exists, write one if it
doesn't ...

      Thanks >>>> Charlie

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 10:29:07 BST
From: "C.D.G.Stross" <pg8928%computing.bradford.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK>
Subject: '386 MARK/RELEASE Problems

2)    I have a recurrent problem with MARK/RELEASE type utilities on my '386
under DOS 4.00. They don't work. MARK places a marker in memory (so all my
memory mapping routines tell me), as does FMARK, but RELEASE invariably
responds with something like 'Marker not found or protected mark
encountered.' I've encountered the same problem with the MARK/RELEASE
facility in the QuickCache II (shareware) release, and the programs worked
fine on my old Amstrad 1512, so I guess it's not an obvious software bug. I
tried stripping down CONFIG.SYS to see if a device driver or something was
trapping an interrupt but didn't get very far.

      Does anyone have any experience of similar problems with MARK/-
RELEASE? Could it be a problem with DOS 4.00, or is it likely to be a
hardware problem? (For your info, the machine is an Elonex PC386/20 V running
a version of DOS 4.00 that Elonex patched to avoid the infamous FAT trasher
bug. The manual for the motherboard is interestingly anonymous, but
identifies it as a B1712 -- bought in from a third party, I guess.)

      Any correspondence to me at: pg8928@uk.ac.bradford.computing

      Thanks >>>> Charlie

If I'm so smart, why am I studying computer science?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 08:32:54 MST
From: rtravsky@CORRAL.UWyo.Edu (Richard W Travsky)
Subject: HD Parker

I noticed several utilities in the simtel holdings for parking HD heads after
periods of no use.  Has anyone used any of these?  Which are better than
others?  Quirks and gotchas? (And in particular,  do they work on a Zenith
159?)  Please respond to me directly as I get this list in digest form inter-
mittenly.  Thanks!

Richard Travsky                        Bitnet:   RTRAVSKY @ UWYO
Division of Information Technology     Internet: RTRAVSKY @ CORRAL.UWYO.EDU
University of Wyoming

------------------------------

Date: 13 Mar 90 22:22:33 GMT
From: eos!greg@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Greg Pisanich)
Subject: Hypercard -> PC

I recently saw an article in a Hypercard magazine on translating Hypercard
Supercard, and other Mac 'Hyper-like' programs to IBM 'Hyper-like' programs
such as Link-Way.  I was wondering if anyone has attempted such a feat, and
what were your results?

Thanks,

Greg    (Greg@eos.arc.nasa.gov)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 14:10 MST
From: GORDON_A%CUBLDR.Colorado.EDU@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: Problems with 'Disk Change' Signal

I have a couple of clones (one from computrade in CA), running MS DOS 3.3.
The AT (hi-density) drive on them has a similar problem:  doing a DIR on a
floppy in this drive gives an appropriate listing.  However, putting a new
floppy into the drive and running DIR, gives the identical listing.  I need
to run CHKDSK before I can get a listing of the new floppy.  This does not
happen on drive B (the 360K drive).  I have noticed this problem with MSDOS
3.2, and PCDOS 3.1 and 3.2.  The systems have PERSTOR controllers on the
harddrive, if that matters.  It makes some installation programs fail (such
as the one for Wordperfect 5.1) but not the ones that I have used from
MICROSOFT.  Any one have a fix???

Thanks

Allen Gordon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 17:03:39 EST
From: vxb@wjh12.harvard.edu (Vernon Bradner)
Subject: Library Database?

Can anyone suggest a good MS-DOS personal library database to keep track of
my book collection?

    Thanks - Vern Bradner
    att!md3b2p!vbradner
    md3b2p!vbradner@att.att.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 09:22:00 EXP
From: "Luiz Sergio B. Neves" <MAB01038%UFRJ@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Ntsc and pal-m systems to connection IBMPC

Hi ...
     Could you send me some references to guide me to record my computer
graphics screen on a video cassete recorder. I have a filmation machine
(NTSC), a video cassete (PAL-M), and an IBMPC with one RCA jack for composite
video and with an RGB port.

     I would like to color filmations of parties, meetings,...  with my
IBMPC, using my equipaments or others.

               Thanks in advance.....
                      Luiz Sergio B. Neves

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 16:59:27 EST
From: Kalburgi srinivas <SRINIVAS%UREGINA1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: PC-SIG Disks on BBS?

 I am trying to find some specific disks of the PC-SIG shareware system.  Can
any one tell me if any BBS has their later disks (#800 and above) available
for downloading? I am looking for disks # 879, # 966 # 1054 or respectively
programs named BIORHYTHM, ASTRO95 & PROCON. Our local PCUSERS club has disks
only up to #800.

 I have searched the PC-BLUE collection for similar programs but have not
found any (Sorry Frank and Keith, that is the truth).

 I have heard it said that the shareware programs are available on BBSs. But
can any one give me definite leads - BBS name & Phone number?

 Many thanks,
             Kalburgi Srinivas, U of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.
             SRINIVAS@UREGINA1.CA.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 11:07:45 CST
From: emueller@skvax1.csc.ti.com (Ed. Mueller @ 214-575-3429)
Subject: Request for 286 Memory Management Solutions

My work group has a need for 286 memory management.  Specifically, we have a
variety of 286 based workstations, some with Intel Above Boards, some with
extended memory on the motherboard itself.  We have applications which re-
quire large amounts of conventional memory AND loading 60Kbytes of TSRs.  We
need the capability to load TSRs into extended or expanded memory.

Our first attempt was to use Quarterdeck's QRAM, but found out that it
requires FULLY SUPPORTED LIM 4.0 IN HARDWARE;  software "LIMulators" will not
work. QRAM is not the answer for our workstations.  Other products such as
Move 'EM and PopDrop Plus also have this requirement.  Helix' Headroom does
not, but I don't know if it will do what we need.

Apparantly, the combination of the All Chargecard with QRAM will do the
trick, but we don't believe spending $300/machine is cost effective,
especially when we're dealing with 20+ workstations.

I am interested in hearing from people who have used these type of products
and also from vendors with suggestions.  I'm especially interested in what
specifically the products require and their limitations.  Thanks in advance
for your help.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 11:43:16 EST
From: Curt Priest <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: WATCOM's smaller C executables -- how?

WATCOM's C 7.0 is reported by WATCOM to produce executables from 15 to 30%
smaller than Microsoft's 5.x.  I have separate confirmation that a particular
set of modules reduced in size by 25% using WATCOM.  In talking with a
designer of C interpreters, the person stated that this size reduction was
acheived through "register calling." I have 2 questions:

     1.  What is register calling and how can it contribute such large
executable reductions?

     2.  Does anyone know if Microsoft's 6.0 (now in Beta test) is going to
use this technology and thus achieve the same gains? (Any Beta testers out
there?)

Please message both the Digest and me directly (in case I miss catching your
reply in the digest.)

Thanks in advance

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------