Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/21/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 20 Mar 90       Volume 90 : Issue  50

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                             ARPANET & USENET
                               bug in PKZIP

Today's Queries:
                     Everex modem and BitCom problems
                             Chinese software
                          3com Network Monitoring
               Batch File and Modifying Environment Variable
                 Removing Memory Resident drivers/programs
                                80387sx bug
                          Cleaning Amdek Monitors
                        Speech (Spectral) Analysis
                          Upgrade Zenith to 386?

New Uploads:
                               GRAPH update

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11 or
DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and
TREARN (Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  This system is a
subscription system with an average annual hourly cost of 17 cents per hour.
It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink
outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are usually available on DDC
within 24 hours.

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 13:14:31 EST
From: "A. M. (Tony) Cichan" <TONY%YORKVM2.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: ARPANET & USENET

Please forgive my ignorance, but I would appreciate it if someone would
fill me in on just what ARPANET and USENET are and how they relate
to BITNET.

Thanks in advance.

A. M. (Tony) Cichan   TONY@YORKVM2.BITNET  (416)736-5147
Department of Facilities Planning
York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

[Take a look in the October '86 issue of "Communications of the ACM".  It
discussed in detail the various networks.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar T  09:02:12 -0800
From: Jim Anderson <lcc!jta@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: bug in PKZIP

If you are seeing the "cannot open NUL" bug in PKZIP, I'll wager you are
running DOS 4.x, have a large hard disk partition (not necessarily though)
and have SHARE installed.  Try removing SHARE and ignore the message that DOS
spits out when you boot about requiring SHARE with large partitions.

The information I have seen indicates that you can get into trouble if you
have a large partition (> 32 Meg), don't load SHARE and run programs that use
FCBs.  Otherwise share is not required.

I have had quite a bit of trouble running OS/2 family applications when SHARE
was installed.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 22:06:31 +0200
From: Dov Peter Grobgeld <FAGROB%WEIZMANN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Everex modem and BitCom problems

I am writing on behalf on a relative who has problems with his Everex 2400
internal modem. His machine has a Mailex MVS386-25MHz motherboard, an ATI
Wonder/512k Graphics card, an expansion Zeos card which includes a serial
port and a game port.

He will be using the modem together with the BitCom program and has
unsuccessfully tried to install the program and the modem. When he runs the
installation program it says that the COM1 and COM2 ports are occupied and
that COM3 is free. He has then tried to specify COM3 for the Internal modem.
I assume that he has set the switches appropriately on the the modem. When he
runs the testprogram it confirms communication between the computer and the
modem, but sais there is no connection between the modem and the phone line.

[Is the line going to the telephone wall socket plugged into the LINE
connector or into the PHONE connector?  It should be plugged into the LINE
socket.  gph]

Would be grateful for suggestions as to where the problem is.

Dov

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 14 Mar 90 13:12:56 CET
From:         "L.Pautmeier" <ALBREC_U@DMRHRZ11>
Subject:      Chinese software

does anybody know where I can find chinese PD-software, for example a chinese
version for wordprocessing ?

Thanks

        L.Pautmeier

------------------------------

Date: 15 Mar 90 22:08 +0100
From: Eskil Brun <eskilb%sun.dhhalden.uninett@nac.no>
Subject: 3com Network Monitoring...

We are planning to write/get a program to monitor the traffic on our local
PC/Sun network, and are having some problems.

We are using a 3com 3+share network with 3com ethernet adapters.

I need info on the following:

  1: Is there any program available (for PC) to monitor the network activity.
(Yes, we have one from 3com, but we don't like it).  Any comments welcome (It
must work with 3com, however).

  2: How do I set the network adapter in "Promiscuous Mode", listening to all
of the network traffic, so we can write our own program.  Any comments
welcome.

   Eskil Brun
   Systems Programming Dept.
   Ostfold Regional College, Norway.

                            Uninett: <EskilB@sun.dhhalden.uninett>
                            Bitnet : <EskilB%sun.dhhalden.uninett@bitnet>

     - God is out for lunch, He'll be back later to fix the problems.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 03:17:13 EST
From: sjuphil!brunette@princeton.edu (Glenn M. Brunette)
Subject: Batch File and Modifying Environment Variable

In article <9003131141.AA01620@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> you write:
>From: Gilbert W. Selke <RECK%DBNUAMA1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>
>Andrew
>        I don't think there is a DOS-only way to direct user input to an
>environment variable. However, there is a very nice collection of programmes
>called SETPGMS.ARC (or some such name) at Simtel, one of which will let you
>do just that. It was written by Arny Krueger quite some time ago. (Probably
>you could solve the user-input-to-batch problem by some ingenious redirection
>plus copying together with some files set up beforehand, but I don't think
>that would look too elegant.)

>\Gisbert

You can modify the environment using user input using the file SETENV.EXE if
Gilbert needs the source code, I have access to it.  Also one can find the
file on a DOS BBS.

Glenn

! Glenn Brunette, Academic Computing Consultant ! This space is reserved for!
! brunette%sjuphil.sju.edu@bpa.bell-atl.com     ! any and all standard      !
! Saint Joseph's University, Philadelphia, PA   ! disclaimers and the like. !

------------------------------

Date: 15 March 1990 1151-PST (Thursday)
From: wetzel@nprdc.navy.mil
Subject: Removing Memory Resident drivers/programs

I have some previously developed applications that require the use of a
memory resident program that is installed from a .BAT file prior to running
the application, but when the application ends it unfortunately does not
clean up after itself and remove the memory resident program.  If another
user sits down and runs the application a second time, a second memory
resident program it put into memory...ad infinitum.  Other applications run
after this need the memory that is being hogged.

My question:  are there some programs in the simtel20 archives that can be
used to remove memory resident programs?  When I looked at the quick
reference to simtel20 files it appeared that such applications were scattered
under other headings.  Any pointers to such an existing program would be
appreciated.   Thanks, Doug Wetzel (wetzel@nprdc.navy.mil)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 12:26 MET
From: "Johan W. van Ooijen" <OOIJEN%RCL.WAU.NL@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: 80387sx bug

I am confronted with a problem that I can't solve at the moment. It appears
to be a bug in my computer system, which is a Tulip AT 386sx, running at 16
MHz, and equipped with a math co-processor 80387sx.

I program the computer with Turbo C 2.0 and Turbo Pascal 5.0. The floating
point generation option is set to 8087/80287-code, no emulation.

Now, when the math-coprocessor receives an instruction that produces an
error, e.g. loading a number from memory, that contains an illegal floating
point representation (NAN=not a number, which is loaded by Turbo C when
confronted with a DOMAIN-error), or loading a number when the NPU-stack is
already full, the computer hangs and has to be reset (hard reset).  Normally,
i.e. on a regular IBM-PC and IBM-AT, a runtime error (in TP: 207: invalid
floating point operation) is generated, the program is stopped, the error
position is pointed to, and you can continue working without resetting the
thing. I checked with a colleague, who has exactly the same Tulip AT 386sx
with 80387sx. This computer also had to be reset when receiving a faulty
instruction. So it doesn't seem to be just a bug in the computer of mine.

Does anybody know,
whether this is a problem of the Tulip system I have, or do all 386sx/387sx
systems suffer from this problem ?

whether this is a problem of the Turbo compilers ? (it might have to do with
the interrupt that the 387sx generates, which is not intercepted correctly by
the compilers ??)

if the problem can be solved ? (without buying another system)

Greetings,
            Johan van Ooijen
            Dept. Genetics,
            Agricultural University,
            Dreijenlaan 2,
            6703 HA Wageningen,
            tel. +31 8370 82709
            EARN: ooijen@rcl.wau.nl

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 11:57:13 EST
From: JERRY EVERETT <F8F7@UNB.CA>
Subject: Cleaning Amdek Monitors

I am the person responsible for cleaning and maintaining the LAN which uses
8088 type IBM PC's and Amdek Video Monitors. These monitors have an
anti-glare screen that must be completely removed from the tube for cleaning
the dust out. This involves removing the back cover and lifting the tube away
from its case so that the screen can be twisted out. Has anyone discovered a
product that can clean these anti-glare screens without removing them. Soap
and water just gums up the screen. As there are around 75 of these
workstations I would appreciate any ideas or solutions to this rather
undignified problem.

Many thanks...Jerry
: F8F7@UNB.CA    : VE1DE@VE1WL   : Fourth year EE Student:
: BITNET         : PACKET RADIO  : VP ADMINISTRATION EUS :
:                :               : President UNBARC      :

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 09:38:31 EST
From: tblake%vaxa.dnet@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Thomas R. Blake)
Subject: Speech (Spectral) Analysis

Kindly MS-DOS Users,

    I have a user here who uses a "Digital Sona-Graph Model 7800" by Kay
Elemetrics Corp to produce spectral analysies (sp?) of human speech on heat
sensitive paper.  He had brought these over to our center and was scanning
them into a Model 70 to look at them, and print them out.  I was able to use
a lovely little freeware program (Called Image) on the Mac to greatly enlarge
his scans and give him real-number measurements etc.  Obviously though this
is silly, (trying to get good data from a intensity graph on heat-sensitive
paper).  Regardless, this exercise really got his imagination going.

As a result, I have a number of questions:

1.  The 7800 apparantly does an A/D conversion, but there is no way to get
the digital out, (except to buy additional hardware.)  Anybody out there use
a 7800?  It apparantly will do a D/A conversion to replay the sample.  Can we
attach a low-cost A/D converter to get useful data out of it?  Will it replay
the signal at a lower sampling rate so we can capture it?

2.  Anybody know of any low/no cost software for doing speech analysis?
(With data gathered by a 7800?)

3.  Anybody know of *any* high-quality software for doing speech analysys?
(Something like MacSpeechLab for instance although preferably for an MS-DOS
platform).

advTHANKSanc

tblake@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu		Thomas R. Blake
TBLAKE@BINGVAXA					Lead Programmer/Analyst
						Academic Computing Services
						SUNY-Binghamton

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 13:17:15 EST
From: "A. M. (Tony) Cichan" <TONY%YORKVM2.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Upgrade Zenith to 386?

I own a Zenith 241 AT compatible which has served me well (after a couple of
ROM upgrades).

Now I want to get into the 386 world so that I can run the new AutoCAD 386.
I would like to here your opinion(s) about the following:

1. Upgrade my Zenith to 386 using Zenith components.

2. Upgrade my Zenith to 386 using third party stuff.

3. Buy a new machine  and keep or sell my Zenith.

4. Other options.

My Zenith has a Paradise Herc compatible video card, 640K ram, a 1.2MB drive,
a 360KB drive and a 40MB hard drive.  The monitor is a Zenith amber
monochrome.

Money is a concern as it is coming out of my own pocket.  Compatibility is
also a concern.  I didn't enjoy having to solve software problems by
upgrading ROM chips because the Zenith was not compatible.

Thanks for any and all info.  You may send mail directly to me.

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 16:25:51 PST
From: "Chris Spatgen" <cspatgen%ch3.intel.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing a Multisync VGA Monitor. I was told that the
best one on the market at a fair cost is the NEC 3D. Is this true or just an
advertising gimmick. Also in the future I plan to purchase a VGA card. I was
told that the ATI VGA Wonder is the best. Any help or opinions are welcome.

Thank You,
Chris Spatgen

Intel Corporation
Bitnet: <CSPATGEN%CH3.INTEL.COM>