Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/22/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Wed, 21 Mar 90       Volume 90 : Issue  51

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                               MSDOS Manual
                      Video producer products for PC

Today's Queries:
                                  EXE2BIN
                         Ibm/Pc Jr Internal modem
                       Playing Game, then No System
                          Help with Tandy 1000SL
                      Networking woes with PS/2-50's
                         PC XT Compatible Problems
                             Turbo Pascal 5.0
                       SOTA-Vga card Drivers Wanted

New Uploads:
            4DOS v3.0 and FrontDoor v1.99c uploaded to SIMTEL20
                     Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20
           Quick reference list of SIMTEL20's MSDOS directories

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11 or
DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain) TAUNIVM (Israel) and
TREARN (Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download
Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple
lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  This system is a
subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents per hour.  It
is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink
outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are usually available on DDC
within 24 hours.

Date: Fri, 16 Mar 90 18:01:07 EST
From: Peter Jones <MAINT%UQAM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: MSDOS Manual

In IBM-PC Digest, Vol 90 Issue 44, fstarr@lognet2.af.mil (TSgt Frank Starr)
asked for a good MS-DOS 3.3+ book

>	I just put MS-DOS 3.3+ on my machine.  As might be expected, the vendor's
>manual leaves a lot to be desired. So, I'm shopping for a good, definitive
>book to fill in where Micro Soft leaves off.  appreciate all suggestions.

A French-language book entitled "MS-DOS Simplifie" has been published by a
member of the University of Quebec at Montreal's Computing Center, and has
been very well received by the users and by columnists in Montreal's daily
papers. It's available in French only. I will post information on how to
obtain copies, if there is enough interest.

Peter Jones     MAINT@UQAM     (514)-987-3542
"Let your flippers do the walking" :-)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Mar 90 14:04:21 EST
From: Peter Jones <MAINT%UQAM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Video producer products for PC

On Fri, 2 Mar 90 10:39:36 gary@ctc.contel.com (Gary Bisaga  x4219) said:

>Hello.  I am looking for hardware and programs and that would allow a Mac or
>PC to be used as a video producer's workstation.

Our audiovisual department suggested Comprehensive Video Supply in New Jersey
as a company that has a lot of video accessory systems, including mixer
programs and edit managers.

Now I have a question of my own. Last week, while visiting a cable TV
station, I noticed that the Dubner 5-K character generator uses 5 1/4 HD
diskettes for the video messages saved by the graphist. The obvious question:

Can such diskettes be read/written on an IBM-PC? If so, is there software in
existence to take advantage of the fact? I do know the Dubner can be driven
from a serial port, but diskette-based transfer might be more reliable for
large or complex files. Example: Books or other documents, once translated
into computer-readable form, could be displayed in large computer-generated
characters and the output saved on a videocassette. The characters could
scroll horizontally like a bilboard.

A visually-impaired person could read the document using a variable-speed
VCR. The current technology, based on closed-circuit optically-magnifying TV,
is distracting because of difficulties in getting the book to lie flat under
the camera, following the horizontal lines, and positioning to start the next
line or page.

One can imagine other possible improvements such as automatically speeding up
display of common words, or using different colours to highlight technical
terms.

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 17:31:42 EDT
From: The Time Traveler <HE891C%GWUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: EXE2BIN

I'm trying to convert an .EXE file to a .COM file.  It's in the valid
.COM format, but version 1.04 of EXE2COM doesn't like it, and I can't
find a copy of EXE2BIN anywhere.  I have MASM 5.10, PC-DOS 3.30, and 4.01,
and none of them have EXE2BIN!!!!!  This is so stupid!!
Could someone please send me either EXE2BIN or something similar?

Thanx in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 12:00:37 IST
From: Yanuka Moti <yanuka%hujivms.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Ibm/Pc Jr Internal modem

I would appreciate any information on how and where to get the Ibm-Pc
Jr. internal modem.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 20:57:51 AST
From: DBILLINGSLEY <J2YC%UNB.CA@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Playing Game, then No System

I need some suggestions. My computer system was the victim of something
horrid today. My roommate booted and ran a game on my XT-Turbo (Clone)
that required a CGA card. (Incidentally, the game was an original.)
After the program was running, he left the room comming back 5 minutes
later to find a blank monitor and a whirring computer fan.

When I came back, I ran a battery of tests on it. The power supply in
the computer is producing the correct voltage as is the transformer
on the monitor. The CRT failed to give it's orange tint it usually does
when it's actively shooting the phosphor and the power light of the
monitor does not turn on...

The computer, when booted, fails to turn on the TURBO LED which it
does immediatly following power-on. As well, no beep or corresponding
disk activity occurs. The fan, however, still runs.

The computer was connected to a surge protector (Bar kind) but others
in the wing noted no power quirks in that time (Lights blinking, etc)
and the skies were overcast.

The computer is not that old. (Not very quantitative, I know but I
am not sure myself... I think a little over a year...)

I would *greatly* appreaciate anyone making any suggestions to aid
in my troubles.

Thank-You

Derek J. Billingsley
Student: University of New Brunswick
Bitnet/Netnorth: J2YC@UNB.CA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 17:30:07 -0800
From: MNK@RDAC.dnet.hac.com          (Mike Kimura)
Subject: Help with Tandy 1000SL

I'm posting this message for my brother who has started a Comic Book Store
and is using a Tandy 1000SL (640K with two floppy drives) for doing
inventory, printing mailing labels, etc.  He is interested in expanding his
system by adding a hard drive (at least 20MB).  I'm a computer sciene major
with limited IBM PC Clone experience (a lot of Macintosh);  so I know a
little about computers and I am trying to help him acquire what he needs. We
would like to minimize the expense of adding this hard drive.  My questions
are:

	1) Can "any" IBM PC compatible hard drive be used with the Tandy 1000SL or
does it have to be a Tandy hard drive?

	2) What kind of board (if any) has to be added to the Tandy to control the
hard drive?

	3) Does anyone have any recommendations of an inexpensive but reliable
hard drive and/or controller that can be used with the Tandy.

	4) Does anyone have any recommendations of any software package (either
public domain or retail) that is good for running a small comic book store.
Functions should include inventory, generate labels (price tags) from
inventory database, mailing lists, cash register functions, bookeeping,
ordering, etc.

Michael Kimura			Internet:	mnk@rdac.hac.com
Hughes Aircraft Company (RSG)	BITnet:		mnk@rdac.hac.com
P.O. Box 92426	  MS: R2/9A37	EDEN:		rdac::mnk
Los Angeles,  CA  90009		Telephone:	(213) 615-9775

------------------------------

Date: 16 Mar 90 08:19:00 EST
From: <junger@cwru.cwru.edu>
Subject: Networking woes with PS/2-50's

    Here at CWRU law school we are on the receiving end of a effort to
install a campus wide optical network.  For some weird reason the law school
contains some of the first faculty offices that will be blessed with access
to this network.  Unfortunately those who are responsible for installing the
system know almost nothing about personal computers, I spent a very
frustrating day today listening to them contradicting each other about how
the network software that they are supplying to us will work--or fail to
work.

     Perhaps some kind soul on this list will be able to give me some
pointers so that I can explain to my colleagues what is going on.

     Those members of the law school faculty who use computers use PS/2 50's;
the micro channel architecture is probably part of the problem:  since the
university people say the 3 Comm is (or, perhaps, was until very recently)
the only company that supplies ethernet boards that work that architecture
and that one has to use the software supplied by 3 Comm with their boards.

        This software consists of the following files:

          Name         Number of bytes

        NET3C523 EXE     8779
        TCPIP    EXE    46191
        PING     EXE    21340
        FINGER   EXE    16701
        FTP      EXE    46833
        LPR      EXE    46548
        TELNET   EXE    57429
        WHOIS    EXE    16497
        TN3270   EXE    83351
        TN3270   DOC     2365

which are in a subdirectory called \IP.  This software is supposedly
supplied by 3Com, although all of it except NET3C523.EXE is supposedly
freeware from Stanford.

    My first problem is with NET3C523.EXE, which--despite its extension--is a
DOS driver, not a program.  When the line DEVICE=\IP\NET3C523.EXE is added to
the CONFIG.SYS file, this driver proceeds to swallow up between 54 and 55 k
of memory that I can ill afford.  I have seen other Drivers that only consume
4 or 5 k of memory...

my questions are:  (i)
is this the only game in town? and (ii) can anyone point me to any
documentation for this driver?--I looked at it in a hex editor and it is
weird, the device header doesn't even contain a name--though one appears in
what looks like another device header that is located two logical sectors
further on.

     My second problem is with a bunch of software for connection to a Novell
network which either is or is not supplied by 3Com.  This software is
included in a subdirectory named \NET and consists of the following files:

        IPX      COM    27688
        NOVELL   BAT     1853
        NET3     COM    41352
        NETDRIVE COM       44

The "support" personnel at the university wasted most of my day claiming that
this software (which again is completely undocumented) uses the NET3C523.EXE
driver and then demonstrating that they did not have enough memory to reach a
CD-rom on our Novell network until they removed the line
DEVICE=\IP\NET3C523.EXE from the CONFIG.SYS file.  That is somewhat troubling
but the real problem is that they claim that one has to reboot one's machine
after one finishes using the Novell network. [One has to re-boot the machine
after CHANGING the CONFIG.SYS file.]  I hope that someone can assure me that
this is not the way things work in the real world.  Still, not having
access to the network is not much of a loss, since I can connect using
Procomm+ and telephone lines to a machine on internet that does have the
FTP and TELNET capabilities.  I can live without the CD-roms.

     Still, if someone can tell me a work-around to these problems, I would
be grateful.

        Peter D. Junger--CWRU Law School--Cleveland, Ohio

JUNGER@CWRU.CWRU.EDU
JUNGER@CWRU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 20:41 EST
From: Steven Kayser <SLK3021%RITVAX.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: PC XT Compt. Problems

   I have an IBM PC XT Compatible, about five years old, and well used.

   Recently, a few annoying problems came up, and would appreciate any
suggestions for soultions.

   First, and foremost, the 'E' key on my keyboard went bad, and it takes
sometimes 10-15 strokes of the key to produce a single 'E'. Sometimes, when I
hit it I will get two 'E's. Being as the computer is old, and will be
replaced in about a year, getting a new keyboard will be a last resort.

   Anthor problem I think has to do with the CGA graphics card. Sometimes
when I boot up, the entire screen is distored, that is, it is all fuzzy, and
gives off a high pitched sound. The rest of the computer works fine. When I
run any program which puts the machine into graphics mode, the screen returns
to normal. (This is why I think it is the graphics card, not the moniter.) It
seems to happen most when my machine gets hung, and I am forced to reboot.

                                Thanks in advance,
                                -Steven Kayser

Bitnet:      SLK3021@RITVAX
U.S. Mail:   Steven Kayser
             Box 2607
             30 Lowenthal Rd.
             Rochester, NY 14623

------------------------------

Date: 15 Mar 90 11:50:41 +0100
From: S89406043@hsepm1.hse.nl
Subject: Turbo Pascal 5.0

I have a problem when i try to run Turbo Pascal 5.0. The screen is a mess and
all i can do is reset the computer. I tried all kind of monitor-types in the
installation program, but this didn't help. I have a Tulip AT compact 2 with
TEVA graphics card (this card should be Hercules and Ega compatible) and a
monochrome monitor.

Is there anyone who knows the problem or the solution?

Maupie,
S89406043 @ HSEPM1.HSE.NL.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 21:11:08 +0200
From: Oshry Mozes <NYMOZES%WEIZMANN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: SOTA-Vga card Drivers Wanted

A friend of mine has a SOTA-VGA Card, I've been testing CShow 8.0A and I
haven't found a suitable driver to this VGA Card (Especially for the SuperVga
modes). Which one of the driver suits ???

Does anyone know where can I find a "serious" VGA Pictures ?(640X480X256 and
bigger) GIF Format preferred...

                                                Thanks
                                                Oshry.

 BitNet:   NYMOZES@WEIZMANN.BITNET
 InterNet: NYMOZES%WEIZMANN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Acknowledge-To: <NYMOZES@WEIZMANN>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Mar 1990  16:46 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: 4DOS v3.0 and FrontDoor v1.99c uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 1990  23:37 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

The following files have been recently uploaded to SIMTEL20:

NOTE: Type B is Binary; Type A is ASCII

 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
AT55.ZIP      B   60650  900315  Archive shell for ARC/LZH/PAK/PKA/LBR/ZOO/ZIP

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ASMUTL>
XRAY15.ZIP    B   13946  900314  Displays interrupts/calls during pgm execution

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.BASIC>
ASIC.ZIP      B   92610  900314  Complete BASIC compiler, 40 BASICA commands

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.BATUTL>
CHOICE17.ZIP  B   45598  900314  Ask multi-level questions in batch files

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.CROSSASM>
ASREF.ZIP     B   22588  900314  Reference manual for MOTOASMS cross assembers
MOTOASMS.ZIP  B   92103  900314  Motorola 6800/01/04/05/09/11 cross assemblers

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DATABASE>
HOOPER.ZIP    B  182369  900314  Finance Manager II, General Ledger Lite

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL>
EZCP-1-2.ZIP  B   92724  900315  EZ-Copy: Copy/format/verify multiple diskettes

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EDITOR>
VDE151.ZIP    B   88558  900315  Small fast WordStar-like text editor

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EDUCATION>
TSGMEB13.ARC  B   97547  900315  T.Salmi: Second package of educational games
TSGMEC10.ARC  B   63581  900314  T.Salmi: Third package of educational games

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>
AAAREAD.ME    A    4397  900315  Information about the files in this directory
QUICKREF.LST  A    2192  900315  Quick reference list to SIMTEL20's MSDOS dirs
SIMCVAX.BAS   A    2073  900315  VAX/VMS BASIC V3.3 pgm to print SIMIBM.IDX
SIMIBM.ARC    B  230690  900315  SIMTEL20 MSDOS files listing with descriptions
SIMIBM.IDX    A  426542  900315  SIMTEL20 MSDOS files listing with descriptions

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>
PS42.ZIP      B   79016  900314  Menu-driven search for text or find files
UUEXE401.ZIP  B   26715  900315  R.E.Marks' UUdecode/UUencode/XXdecode/XXencode

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FORMGEN>
EZFF-10B.ZIP  B  137370  900315  EZ-Forms First: Free program to create forms

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.GIF>
VUIMG220.ZIP  B   45777  900312  GIF/TIFF file viewer for Herc/CGA/EGA/VGA/SVGA

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.GRAPH>
GRAPHPS.ARC   B   45824  900314  Line graphics v3.16 w/PostScript v1.33 driver

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.LAN>
NETLIST.ZIP   B   17483  900315  Quick search for Token-Ring/PC Network users

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MENU>
GMENU446.ZIP  B  202895  900312  GMENU v4.46 PC menu system.  Mouse compatible

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MODULA2>
M2CMP20.ZIP   B  152063  900315  FST Modula-2 Compiler v2.0, compiler, 1 of 5
M2DOC20.ZIP   B  133768  900315  FST Modula-2 Compiler v2.0, docs, 2 of 5
M2EXA20.ZIP   B   19024  900315  FST Modula-2 Compiler v2.0, examples, 3 of 5
M2LIB20.ZIP   B   39776  900315  FST Modula-2 Compiler v2.0, libraries, 4 of 5
M2UTL20.ZIP   B   82460  900315  FST Modula-2 Compiler v2.0, utilities, 5 of 5

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MSWINDOWS>
WNQVT415.ZIP  B  143337  900315  Windows VT220 emulator with X/Y/Zmodem/Kermit

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SPREADSHEET>
AEA400L.ZIP   B  174422  900312  AsEasyAs v4.00L, Lotus 123 spreadsheet clone
EZS23VLU.ZIP  B  124250  900315  EZ-SpreadSheet: Easy to use SpreadSheet

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTL>
LISTEDIT.ZIP  B     924  900315  How: Make Buerg's LIST.COM invoke text editor

--Keith Petersen

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 1990  21:27 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Quick reference list of SIMTEL20's MSDOS directories

Some MSDOS directories at SIMTEL20 have been moved.  This is a revised
list.  Please discard any older versions.

Quick reference list of SIMTEL20's PD1:<MSDOS.x> directories
as of March 15, 1990 (where 'x' is one of the names below):

ADA           DESKJET       HYPERTEXT     PASCAL        STARLINK
ALLCHARGE     DESKPUB       IRIT          PC-JR         STARTER
APL           DESQVIEW      KA9Q-TCPIP    PCPURSUIT     STATISTICS
ARC-LBR       DIRUTL        KEYBOARD      PCRESOURCE    SURFMODL
ASMUTL        DISASM        LAN           PCTECH        SWAP
AT            DSKUTL        LAPTOP        PGMUTL        SYSUTL
AUTOCAD       EDITOR        LASER         PILOT         TEX
AWK           EDUCATION     LISP          PLI           TROJAN-PRO
BASIC         EEL           LOTUS123      PLOT          TURBO-C
BATUTL        EGA           MAC           PREPROCESS    TURBOBAS
BBSLISTS      EMULATORS     MAPPING       PRINTER       TURBOPAS
BORLAND       FILEDOCS      MATH          PRODIGY       TXTUTL
C             FILUTL        MAX           PROGJOURN     UUCP
CAD           FINANCE       MEMACS        PROLOG        VENTURA
CALCULATOR    FLOWCHART     MENU          QBASIC        VGA
CASE          FORMGEN       MICROCORN     QPASCAL       VOICE
CATALOG       FORTH         MODULA2       RAMDISK       VOICEMAIL
CLIPPER       FORTRAN       MOUSE         SCREEN        WORLDMAP
COMPATIBLES   FOSSIL        MSJOURNAL     SMALL-C       X-10
CROSSASM      FREEMACS      MSWINDOWS     SMALLTALK     XLISP
CROSSREF      GIF           MUSIC         SNOBOL4       ZIP
DATABASE      GRAPH         NETWORK       SPREADSHEET   ZOO
DBASE         GRAPHICS      OS2           SPRINT
DESKACCESS    HAMRADIO      PACKET        SQ-USQ

Quick reference list of SIMTEL20's PD2:<MSDOS2.x> directories
as of March 15, 1990 (where 'x' is one of the names below):

AIJOURNAL     CITADEL       GENIE         PCMAG         TELIX
ARCNET-PCIP   CMPLNGMAG     HANDICAP      PIBTERM       XPC
ASM-MAG       CMU-PCIP      KERMIT        PROCOMM       ZMODEM
BBS           COMPUTE-PC    MODEM         QMODEM
BIBLE         DDJMAG        NCSATELNET    RBBS-PC
CIS           FIDO          OPUS          TAXES

See PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME for details on
file directories and descriptions.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------