Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (04/07/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat,  7 Apr 90       Volume 90 : Issue  61

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
         Access to Simtel via LISTSERV@FINTUVM is being phased out
                            Hard drive security
                         Ibm/Pc Jr Internal modem
              PKZIP version 1.10 and data encryption (2 msgs)
                               removing TSR
                              Simtel20/ELIZA
                TIFF format - details needed (Pete Lucas).
                  Re: Leading Edge Model M Memory Problem

Toady's Topics:
                   4216-020 laser printers w/AIX or OS/2
                            AboveFunction Card
                        Ibm-Pc Jr. expension boards
                         Ibm-Pc Jr. graphic board
                          WordPerfect 5.1 to 5.0

Send Replies or notes for publication to: <INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from the
distribution list, et al) to: <INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP only
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from BITNET
via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS, LISTSERV@FINTUVM and in Europe from
EARN TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently available:
AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark), DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1
(Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain), TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN
(Turkey).

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of the
BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the PC-Blue
collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit Download Central
network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system with multiple lines that
support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).  This system is a subscription
system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents per hour.  It is also
accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New
files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date: Thu, 29 Mar 90 14:21:58 EET
From: mea@mea.utu.fi (Matti Aarnio)
Subject: Access to Simtel via LISTSERV@FINTUVM is being phased out

Hello,

	This note is to inform you that by 30-Jun-90 services provided by
LISTSERV@FINTUVM.BITNET (aka LISTSERV@MAMMUTTI.UTU.FI) are scheduled to be
terminated as we shut down whole IBM system.

	We had this system for five years, and last 1.5 years it has provided
/PDGET and /PDDIR service for Simtel20 and two dozen other systems.

	It has been fun to notice how much importance our voluntary service has
been for plenty of users out there.  Lately FINTUVM has been responsible for
about 50-60 % of total outbound BITNET trafic from Finland,  FINHUTC -
running central LISTSERV in scandinavian did make most of the rest.  Yes,
well used service in deed.  (Now there is more central LISTSERV at SEARN, but
that came after I looked at the statistics last time.)

	As I said, the deadline is 30-Jun-90, so those who are not in service area
of some other servers - like TRICKLEs in central Europe for Simtel20 material
- can use our LISTSERV until that date.

	Plenty thanks for John S. Fisher who wrote original software, altough he
would not recognize present incarnation :-) Without his creations I wouldn't
be creating a third generation version of this service into a dedicated UNIX
system.

1st gen: Fisher's LISTSERV/TRICKLE (and ours too); 1st gen can fetch material
from remote sites.

2nd geneneration: European RED-Trickles by Turgut Kalfaoglu; 2nd generation
is distributed nearly optimally over existing network but relies on 1st gen
systems to send actual files.

3rd:  still under developement; 3rd generation includes both and much more
features in areas of databases, more versatile access methods etc.)

For those who can do FTP (and know what it is), see FUNIC.FUNET.FI.  Login
anonymous, passwd your Internetwise address (foo@bar.dom.edu).  We really do
appreciate if you would regulate visits into off hours, you will see our
clock time when you log on (+- drifts on that clock) Also understand how slow
line we have to USA...

	/Matti Aarnio	<mea@mea.utu.fi>
			<mea@funic.funet.fi>
			Span/Hepnet:  21905::kontu::mea
			<fys-ma@fintuvm.bitnet>
	FUNIC:  Finnish Academic and Research Network Project
		Network Information/Software Archival Service
	OH1MQK - Radio Amateurs do it in Super High Frequency (10GHz)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 90 22:19:51 EST
From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Hard drive security

Lynn Meeks
     Look for PCLOCKxx.ARC on the archives for hard drive protection using a
password. The 'xx' is a version number, but I forget what it is.  I just got
it (Thought is was a clock). Looked at the documentation but didn't try it
out. It looks like what you want. You can have up to 4 users with respective
passwords and an administrator password. The administrator can access
everything, but I think you can lock directories and individual files from
other users. I don't think it keeps a log file of user commands
issued/activities.

Another program I saw on the archives was PASSWRD9.ARC. I don't know what it
does, but it might be useful.

Another program I've worked with was called Direct Access, but I forget who
makes it. It's really great for non-computer people because you can hit a
function key to start a program. It also keeps a detailed log file of
applications run and by which user. It can print this log file in a condensed
form and detailed form. You can also have a lot of users with respective
passwords (about 50 I think) but once a user has access to the computer, you
can't lock him out of specific directories or files.  (I don't think.)

If you need more details, let me know.

Chuck R.           346b36g@cmuvm       Michigan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 90 11:24:24 EST
From: 880506s@AcadiaU.CA
Subject: Ibm/Pc Jr Internal modem

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>I would appreciate any information on how and where to get the Ibm-Pc
>Jr. internal modem.

Are you sure you want the IBM PCjr internal modem, it is only 300 baud.  Why
not get an external and hook it up to the jr's serial port?

UUCP    : {uunet|watmath|utia}!cs.dal.ca!acus!880506S             B0P 1X0

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 1990  16:08 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: PKZIP version 1.10 and data encryption

> From: bkirby@cs.umr.edu (Bill Kirby)
> To:   w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
> Re:   PKZIP version 1.10

> I just finished reading your post to comp.sys.ibm.pc and I am a bit
>confused.  Doesn't v1.02 (as well as PKPAK v3.61) contain data encryption
>technology?  These programs are readily available on the net.  Has there
>been some major revision to the encryption technology between v1.02 and
>v1.10?  I have been trying to download v1.10 from PKWARE BBS and had planned
>on making it available via anonymous FTP.   However, the BBS has been
>EXTREMELY busy these past few days and I have yet to obtain it.

Bill, it is true that PKWare's PKPAK, SEA's ARC, and NoGate's PAK all contain
encryption technology.  It may become necessary for SIMTEL20 and other
Internet hosts in USA and Canada to delete these programs from public
download areas.  Taken to the extreme, all BBS operators in USA and Canada
may be inviting legal trouble by offering ANY program which encrypts or
decrypts data if there is any chance that someone from another country might
call and download the file.

This is a real can of worms which I intend to let others resolve.  It may
take some federal legislation to resolve this.

I will do whatever I am instructed to do by the management of SIMTEL20.  For
the present time this means that PKZ110.EXE will not be available here and
the other archivers may suddenly disappear from our directories.  Drastic
changes may be required in the PC-Blue directories as well.

We may be forced to go to LHarc because it does not have file encryption or
decryption.

Keith

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 1990  15:56 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

> From: Larry Jones <sdrc!scjones@uunet.UU.NET>
> To:   w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil

> Is the export restriction on ANY kind of encryption?  As far as I know,
>the restriction is only on DES technology.  ARC up to v5.21 (the last
>version I have source for) does it's encryption by simply XORing the key
>with the data -- hardly sophisticated enough for anyone to worry about.  I
>presume PKPAK does the same thing.

Several years ago this same type of discussion was all over the Internet.  It
is a specific export control law which does not distinguish between a
specific cryptographic algorithm. Thus it appears to apply to *any* program
that encrypts data.

This discussion is not meant to single out PKZIP/PKUNZIP.  As I mentioned in
my previous posting, SEA's ARC and NoGate's PAK archivers also encrypt data.

Keith Petersen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 90 09:19 CST
From: <T8505011%TWNTUCC1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: removing TSR

   On 15 March 1990, wetzel@nprdc.navy.mil ask removing memory resident
programs (Volume: 90, Issue: 50).

   You can find many useful file from PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL> directory.  The
followings show the memory map, remove TSR or manage TSR.

   lowmem.arc,
   memblk37.arc,
   qvcmm.arc,
   remtsr.arc,
   resettsr.arc,
   rmap30.arc,
   tsrcom29.arc.

In my site, we use MAPMEM to show memory map and use MARK/RELEASE to free
memory resident program. These programs may be in Simtel20 program library,
but I cannot find them in a rash view. MARK/RELEASE can make our ACER 1100
(20 MHz 386) halt when release Microsoft Mouse driver (I don't remember its
version, but I know it comes with MS C 5.1). So I think you'd better try
these programs with your application to find a suitable one.

   May this help you!

Yin-Hsin Chen <t8505011@twntucc1.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 90 08:22:47 EST
From: davecb@nexus.yorku.ca
Subject: Simtel20/ELIZA

Hello all

Remember ELIZA.BAS, the laid-back psychoanalyst?

I cannot seem to find a copy now.  Is it/she still around?  If so, can
someone send me a copy or point me to a source?

Thanks.

Tim Cartwright
York University -- Environmental Studies
4700 Keele St., Toronto, Canada  M3J 1P3
Tel 416-736-5252           Tlx 065-24736
Fax 416-736-5679               YORKU TOR

BitNet/NetNorth  ESTIMCAR@ORION.YORKU.CA

[Due to pressure from the people that pay our bills, the <MSDOS.GAMES>
directory was archived off-line.  You might be able to find this program
from wustl.edu]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 90 09:13 CST
From: <T8505011%TWNTUCC1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: TIFF format - details needed (Pete Lucas).

<PJML%ibma.nerc-wallingford.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK>

   On Mon, 19 Mar 90, Pete Lucas, asked for the document of TIFF. We have
Microsoft Windows Software Development Toolkit. And one of its manual
contains one chapter that describes the TIFF format. I don't carefully read
it before, but I think there has what you want. Another source can be obtained
from Simtel's PD1:<msdos.graphics>tiff-50.arc.

Date: 28 Mar 90 13:30:00 EDT
From: "MACPHERSON, DOUGLAS" <macpherson@alexandria-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: Re: Leading Edge Model M Memory Problem

Thanks to Jerry Katz at Rice and Charles Ellis at Northeastern for their help
on my Leading Edge model M memory problem.

Jerry told me that my model M was the same as the Sperry IT, and that I could
get service from UNISYS dealers.

Charlie had a more interesting idea.  His memory error wandered from the
motherboard to add-in memory depending upon whether he simply ran the routine
or followed the LE instructions to boot from the diagnostics disk.  Seems the
diagnostics only examine free memory.

So THAT's why I had wandering memory errors.  I was booting with different
memory configurations.  I upgraded my LE anyway, but that's a different story
"Repairing your PC to make it bigger and better."

				Doug Macpherson
				U.S. Army Research Institute
				for the Behavioral and Social Sciences
				(aren't you sorry you asked, SIR!)

------------------------------
Subject: Toady's Topics:
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 90 18:18:07 EST
From: Jim Romito <ROMITO%OHSTPHRM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: 4216-020 laser printers w/ AIX or OS/2

Hello,
      I have been asked to find out if anyone has an IBM 4216-020 laser
printer with a Micro Channel postscript board running with a PS/2 Model 80.
We are mainly interested in if you are running this under AIX(for PS/2).  But
we would also like to know if you are using it with OS/2.  If you have such a
beast, my question is:  How are you doing it!  What sort of device driver are
you using?  Is it working well?  Any response would be appreciated.

Jim Romito
The Ohio State University
College of Pharmacy

Internet: romito@ohstphrm.pharmacy.ohio-state.EDU
BITNET:   ROMITO@OHSTPHRM.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 90 14:20 MST
From: Paul Charette <EE599038@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu>
Subject: AboveFunction Card

	I know this is a longshot, but I'm desperate ...

	I just inherited an "AboveFunction Card" made by American Computer an
Peripherial Inc.  It serves as a memory expansion card (up to 2 MB), serial
interface, parallel port, real time clock/calender, and game adapter port
interface.  It was ordered in July 1988 and never used, except by someone who
lost the documentation.

	What I need is the info from the doc that tells me how to setup the DIP
switches on this card to use the memory on it.  I haven't tried the plug and
play method, since I'm not sure what it'd do to my PC if it was
mis-configured.  If anyone has the doc, I'd appreciate some information
exchanging ;-)

	The card has two 8-bit DIP switches.  The box says "Based on Lotus, Intel
andMicrosoft specifications".  Could this be a clone card, and if so where
can I get the doc for the card they cloned.

	By the way, American Computer and Peripherial Inc. has gone out of
business, so please don't tell me to call them.

	Thanks in advance ....

Regards,
Paul Charette
Unversity of Arizona

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 11:47:54 -0200
From: Yanuka Moti <yanuka%batata.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Ibm-Pc Jr. expension boards

I would appreciate information on how and where to get expension board for
the Ibm_Pc Jr. memory,disk and hard-disk expension boards.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 11:47:54 -0200
From: Yanuka Moti <yanuka%batata.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Ibm-Pc Jr. graphic board

I would appreciate any information on how to convert graphics and gaim
programs aimed for the CGA EGA or VGA so that it will work on the Ibm-Pc Jr.
graphic board.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 90 15:05:00 EST
From: TSENG@UWPG02.UWinnipeg.CA
Subject: WordPerfect 5.1 to 5.0

Hello,

   I have a question on transfer WordPerfect 5.1 to WordPerfect 5.0.
Because, whenever I stored a file from WordPerfect 5.1 to 5.0, I found that I
can't print the file from 5.0.  It only print the page number and nothing
else.  Can anyone give me a hand?

Thank you in advance!

rob

End of Info-IBMPC Digest