Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (05/07/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon,  7 May 90       Volume 90 : Issue  83

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
              Monthly report of msdos uploads to SIMTEL20
                       PC-LOCK hard disk security
      questions about a backup program for the MS-DOS environment
                        Snipper 22 modifications

Today's Queries:
                      applications under mswindows
                          Deskview VS Windows
                                 Eliza
                      IBM->NeXT; COM port monitor
                      Material Safety Data Sheets
                              Print sceen
               Search for an inexpensive context-switcher
                          Watchdog Timer Board
                  Programable RS433 Boards Available?

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessable on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-8pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date: Tue, 1 May 1990  13:14 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Monthly report of msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

The report of all msdos files uploaded to SIMTEL20 during the month of
April 1990 is now available in two forms:

pd1:<msdos.filedocs>
UPLOADS.APR     List of uploads to SIMTEL20 for April 1990
SIM9004.IDX     Comma-delimited list of April 1990 uploads

UPLOADS.APR is in the same format as my "recent msdos uploads" postings.
SIM9004.IDX is in the same format as SIMIBM.IDX.

Thanks to Frank Wancho for writing the programs to create both lists at
SIMTEL20 so I don't have to do them on my PC and upload.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Tue May 1 09:05:50 1990
From: rexroad@wpdis01.af.mil (Frederick H. Rexroad;AFLC/XPSC;)
Subject: PC-LOCK hard disk security

In vol 90 #78, David Walls asked about a hard disk security system
providing access to over 100 students.  While I can't provide a direct
answer to his problem, I do wish to comment on PC-LOCK, which he stats
he is currently using.

I too downloaded PC-LOCK from SIMTEL20 and was so impressed with its
capability that I quickly called up its creator (Johnson Computer
Systems INC.) and ordered the full blown version.  What I found out was
that there was a name change a couple of years ago and it is now called
PC-Vault (version 4.3).  It has several improvements over PC-LOCK and
provides quite a bit of power and flexibility to the system
administrator.  While it does not appear to be able to provide 100
unique userids and passwords, it can handle up to 6 (David... could
students share user ids?)

I only have a few weeks of experience with this program but I am very
satisfied with it.  The only drawback I can find is that it appears
that anyone with a copy of PC-Vault on a floppy could by-pass the
password protection.  Since I only have one copy of the package I don't
how a different copy would work.  It may be possible that my copy can
by-pass itself but a copy with a different serial number won't be able
to.  Does anyone have experience with this???

Other than that, I highly recommend this program to anyone who would
like to control the access to their computer.  The PC-LOCK program on
SIMTEL20 (while falling into that nefarious category called
cripple-ware) provides a good preview of what this program can do.

Fred Rexroad

------------------------------

Date: 25 Apr 90 12:58:06 GMT
From: darcy@druid.UUCP (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Subject: questions about a backup program for the MS-DOS environment

In article <255@uecok.UUCP> dcrow@uecok (David Crow -- ECU Student) writes:
> [...]
>      - possibly a faster copying scheme.  the following is the
>         code I am using to copy from one file to another:
>
>            do
>            {
>               n = fread(buf, sizeof(char), MAXBUF, infile);
>               fwrite(buf, sizeof(char), n, outfile);
>            } while (n == MAXBUF);        /* where MAXBUF = 7500 */

Try:
     while ((n = fread(buf, sizeof(char), BUFSIZ, infile)) != 0)
      fwrite(buf, sizeof(char), n, outfile);

By using BUFSIZ instead of your own buffer length you get a buffer size
equal to what the fread and fwrite routines use.

D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Government:
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   Organized crime with an attitude
West Hill, Ontario, Canada         |
(416) 281-6094                     |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Apr 90 20:19:16 CDT
From: "Bill Ball" <C476721@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU>
Subject: Snipper 22 modifications

The new version of Snipper is much improved because it appends saved
files.  thanks go to the various authors. I have a suggestion or two
for further improvement. My primary use for the little gem is to move
stuff between a mainframe session screen and the pc. It would be
helpful if it did not insert CR/LF at the end of each line when it cut
& pasted. Actually this would probably be best as an option of some
sort. sometimes one would want both, sometimes just LF, sometimes
neither. Unfortunately my programing skills aren't up to knowing what
to change in the program.

the utility is available on SIMTEL20

        PD1:<MSDOS.SCREEN>SNIPPR22.ZIP

Bill Ball c476721@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 May 90 10:53 N
From: <COOHAM%HHEOUH50.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: applications under mswindows

Would anyone be able to help me out on the following: We're looking for
two possible mswindows applications:

  1) some kind of introduction program to windows, including an
explanation of how to use a mouse

  2) a simulation program similar to "Stella" on the Mac. It should be
graphical oriented and be able to process about at least 25 elements

Please keep in mind that these applications will be used by students
that may have little or no experience with MS-Windows (or even a PC).

Any help would be appreciated,

Aad Slootmaker  Open university Heerlen, Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 May 90 09:41:27 EDT
From: Ken Farrar <FARRARK@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU>
Subject: Deskview VS Windows

I am getting an IBM PS/2 Model 70 and am interested in running a
multitasking program so that I may run AutoCAD, Lotus, Kermit, and DOS
in seperate windows simultaneously.  I have heard good things about
both Deskview and Windows, but I haven't read any good comparisons
between the two programs.  Can anyone who is familiar with both please
tell me the differences and their preference?  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 01 May 90 11:58:31 +0200
From: S89406043%HSEPM1.HSE.NL@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Eliza

Hi,

is there somebody who has a listing of a *GOOD* Eliza?

If so, please let me know. I want to build a Eliza in the relay on the
prime-system.

Thanx, Maup

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Apr 90 19:37:54 CST
From: Don Branson <C08922DB@wuvmd.bitnet>
Subject: IBM->NeXT; COM port monitor

I would appreciate any help that someone can offer on transferring
files from an IBM PC to a Next machine. If anybody has done this, could
you contact me? Thanks.

Also, does anyone know of a program which will log COM1 or COM2
traffic?

Don Branson
Washington University Information Systems
C08922DB@WUVMD.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed May 2 09:20:10 1990
From: dla0627@europe.drms.dla.mil (Ralph Lohmann)
Subject: Material Safety Data Sheets

I have been asked to find a computer-searchable file of OSHA's Material
Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs).  Ideally, this would be an on-line
database, accessible in Central Europe through the Inter- net.
Acceptable alternatives would be uucp or conventional PC dial-up access
through the DATEX-P Network of the German Federal Post Office.  Less
desirable would be a subscription database on floppy disks with
periodic updates.

We understand there is a CD-ROM database that contains the MSDSs, but
we would prefer to have them on-line or on floppy disks be- cause of
the cost of the hardware and the lack of standardization of CD-ROM
systems.

This seems to be the kind of thing that some vendor or research
facility (perhaps one of the Government's contract laboratories) would
have thought of already.  Can anyone suggest an organiza- tion or
individual to contact?

Ralph Lohmann                 | Internet:
U.S. Department of Defense    | rlohmann@europe.drms.dla.mil
Defense Logistics Agency      | or:
Office of Counsel, Europe     | 131.83.1.1

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 May 90 16:27:13 +0300
From: Zvi Keren <BFKEREN%WEIZMANN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Print sceen

I have a problem which I believe is because of the MS-DOS 4.01 that I
am currently using - the Prt-Scr button does not work. In some other
programs such as MS-Windows and GEM I can not print using the "print"
command. If I use DOS 3.2 or 3.3 - no problem occurs. Is this a bug in
DOS 4.01?

            Sincerely, Zvi Keren Ph.D.

------------------------------

Date: 1 May 90 18:02:00 EST
From: <junger@cwru.cwru.edu>
Subject: Search for an inexpensive context-switcher

I tend to create lengthy files using Notabene on a PS/2 50z.  I would
like to be able to shell out of Notabene, free up a chunk of memory,
call a communications program, download some text from, say,
Lexis/Nexis, recover the memory used by the communications program,
reload the word processor, and return to where I was before I started
the whole rigamarole.

Any suggestions?  I saw an article on this subject recently, but cannot
remember where.

Thanks.

                  Peter Junger--CWRU Law School
BITNET:     JUNGER@CWRU
INTERNET:   JUNGER@CWRU.CWRU.EDU (or, infrequently, PDJ2@PO.CWRU.EDU)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 May 90 15:20:07 AST
From: martinea@crc.skl.dnd.ca
Subject: Watchdog Timer Board

I am looking for a PC board which will provide "watchdog timer"
functionality.  Specifically, the board must cause a system reset if it
has not been "hit" (say be reading or writing a control register)
within a particular period of time.  Any information would be greatly
appreciated..

Michael Martineau
Software Kinetics Ltd..

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 16:19:10 EDT
From: scott@gershwin.crd.ge.com (Scott Barman)
Subject: Programable RS433 Boards Available?

I would like to find out if there is a vendor out there (and they are
welcome to reply) who sells programable RS422 boards for the PC.
Programmable meaning there is a PROM socket that I can write custom
code and have loaded everytime the system comes up (or download the
code from the system... I am not concerned with how it's done as long
as it can be done).

The board must be able to work with (at least) a 286-based AT system
(possibly a laptop with an expansion cabinet) and have at least four
RS422 ports.  I am *hoping* that the processor on the board has enough
memory to run the processes and have an 8Kb buffer per port.

As a backup, does anyone out there make something similar for RS232?
We can use level converters to get the RS422 signal levels.

Info for vendors:
Feel free to send information including prices.
Wo would be looking to purchase at least one by June (for development)
and others by the end of August.  That order will be 10 or more.  I
will know what computer I will be using within two weeks (it's looking
like a Compaq 286-based laptop, but it's a decision I am not a part
of).

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #83
-------