Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (05/22/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 22 May 90       Volume 90 : Issue  91

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
      Brother's Keeper (v4.5B) Family History uploaded to SIMTEL20
                             Digest readers
                     Explosiv locking up my system
                          IBM PC EXPANSION BOX
                           IBM Proprinter x24
                 IBM Voice Communications Adapter woes
                       Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #83
                IRIT package update uploaded to SIMTEL20
                       Mice and Hercules Screens
                       MS-DOS Kermit Patch Files
                                  pcsa
                    Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20
                      Sound Boards for the IBM-PC
                         Upgrading NEAT-memory

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessable on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-8pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date: Sat, 12 May 1990  22:32 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Brother's Keeper (v4.5B) Family History uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date: Sat, 12 May 90 13:50:20 PDT
From: "Jeff Sicherman" <JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Digest readers

  Are there any MSDOS programs that will read files in digest format
and extract the relevant headers for the digest AND each message
(implying each message is presented separately). I'm not particularly
familiar with so-called MAIL readers but I'm not talking about such
animals, I think, because our bitnet-connected mainframe is a CYBER
under NOS and is not really suited for the standard network interface
programs. The program I want would read an ASCII file of the mail after
it has been retrieved from the mail receiving programs here and
downloaded to a PC.

  Purpose is to generate automated replys on per-message basis with
headers generated from headers of the message being replied to.

 Jeff Sicherman
 jajz801@calstate.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 90 15:53 EDT
From: "Ed. Harris, Academic Affairs, SCSU" <HARRIS%CTSTATEU.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Explosiv locking up my system

I downloaded the explosiv screen saver from simtel20 and like it a lot.
In fact, it was trying to get this from ubc.ca that led me to learn the
little I know about ftp and gateways, unfortunately.  But I have one
problem with the program.  When I leave my machine, as I do many times
a day, explosive kicks in after the 10 minutes idle time I set; any key
stroke shuts it off and returns me to the screen that was there before
explosiv started.  Except that this doesn't seem to work if the program
running when I leave the machine is xtree pro gold.  It locks the
machine beyond warm booting and I have to turn the power off and back
on to unstick it.  Can anyone tell me what's happening and what I might
try to correct it?  Thanks.

Ed <HARRIS@CTSTATEU.BITNET>
Southern Connecticut State U, New Haven, CT 06515 USA
Tel: 1 (203) 397-4322 / Fax: 1 (203) 397-4207

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 May 90 12:38 EST
From: <P_GEREMI%UNHH.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: IBM PC EXPANSION BOX

To All,
    I am looking for an IBM PC expansion box.  This is the box used for
the old pc's with no expansion slots.  The box has a power supply,
expansion slots, and 35 pin cable to connect to the pc.  I have been
searching for a while with no luck.  If anyone knows where I can get
one (at a reasonable price) please let me know.....

                                     Thanks,
                                     Peter Geremia
                                     P_GEREMIA@UNHH
                                     University of New Hampshire
                                     Computer Science

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 90 20:13:07 DNT
From:  "Lars L. Madsen" <DFMLLM%VM.UNI-C.DK@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: IBM Proprinter x24

Hi Networkers.
I have trouble with my Proprinter x24. The problem is that it suddenly
stops in the midle of a line, and I have to turn it off and on again to
get it to start printing. Some times it runs for days, and sometime it
stops every hour or so. When you examine the text closely you'll see
that the last tree characters each become weaker than the previos one.
I've change the cable, and it didn't work.  Anyone had the same
experience ?

Thanks in advance
          Lars L. Madsen
          dfmllm at vm.uni-c.dk

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 90 10:39:51 EST
From: Juan Jose Noyles <V2057A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: IBM Voice Communications Adapter woes

Does anyone know where I can get an IBM Voice Communications Adapter
fixed?  The documentation says to contact your IBM Marketing Rep, but I
don't *have* a marketing rep.  I bought this at a flea market.  It
worked once, but not since.

Please address all replies to: v2057a@templevm.bitnet or
                               ..!rescon!pacsbb!noyles.uucp

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 May 90 14:51:08 IST
From: Itamar Even-Zohar <B10%TAUNIVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #83

About shelling from Notabene and retirning to the same place in your NB
file:

You can donwload a NB (XPL) HELP screen called MULTISET, from the
notabene list@taunivm, NEWUTILS.ARC. It allows you to quickly save 8
sets of files, quit, then call those files back to screen and go to the
point where you left them before quitting.

To order the catalogue, type:
TELL LISTSERV AT TAUNIVM INDEX NOTABENE

To get the mentioned file, type:
TELL LISTSERV AT TAUNIVM GET NEWUTILS ARC NOTABENE

For more inf. about Notabene list order file NOTABENE GUIDE
from the listserv.

Itamar Even-Zohar
Porter Institute, Tel Aviv Univ.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 1990  23:17 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: IRIT package update uploaded to SIMTEL20

Date: Fri, 11 May 90 13:00:05 EDT
From: Melvin Klassen <KLASSEN%UVVM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Mice and Hercules Screens

On Mon, 30 Apr 90 08:43 EDT you said:

>     Is there an index to or a way to search the archived issues?  I
>was going to track down the reference, but was daunted by the idea of
>downloading everything from PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC> in order to do a
>search.

Yes, it's one of the (few) advantages of being connected to BITNET.

The BITNET re-distribution of the PC Digests is controlled by the
LISTSERV software.  When the list-owner defines a list, he/she can
specify that each contribution to the list will be archived.  Archives
can be collected on an individual, weekly, monthly, or yearly basis.
LISTSERV has a feature which allows the search of the archives.

When you put these facts together, the answer is "yes".

So, send E-mail to 'UTORONTO.BITNET' (VM.UTCS.UTORONTO.CA
[128.100.100.2]), putting the following lines into the "body" of the
message:

// JOB ECHO=NO
DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES
//RULES DD *
SEARCH LEADING EDGE IN IBMPC-L   CPULIM=5:00

The output from this "job" will be returned to you.  This JOB searches
the "IBMPC-L" archives, using up to 5 minutes of CPU time, & will find
all the Digests which contain *both* the words "leading" and "edge".
(Note that this is a case-insensitive search.  One must "quote"
strings, i.e. 'SEARCH "Leading" "Edge" ... ' to perform a
case-sensitive search.) The INDEX command will display one line of
output for each Digest.  Then, you can use FTP to SIMTEL20 to get
"Volume YY, Number NN".  Note that a too-broad search can result in a
lot of output.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 May 90 11:14 MDT
From: Joe Doupnik <JRD@cc.usu.edu>
Subject: MS-DOS Kermit Patch Files

	Responding to Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #84 item - "Kermit 3.0 server
question"

>I played with MS-Kermit 3.01 for a few minutes only to find a change
>in behavior that confused me.  With the remote side in server mode,
>I'm used to saying "REMOTE DIR" and getting a listing from the remote
>server.  This works with C-Kermit and MS-Kermit 2.32/A.  On Kermit
>3.01, however, I have to say "REMOTE DIR *" or "REMOTE DIR *.*"
>depending upon what machine I'm connected to.

>John
Campbell     CAMPBELL@NAUVAX.bitnet

	The cure is to get the Patch file MSR301.PCH and follow its built-in
instructions (extremely simple). redirecting output of REMOTE commands to another file (REM DIR
>filespec for example); the command argument got messed up. MSR301.PCH
is available for anonymous ftp downloading from watsun.cc.columbia.edu
and on the Bitnet Kermsrv archive at CUVMA (both at Columbia
University, naturally).

	The Kermit Patch file (one per release as of version 3.00) is the
way we can get fixes to people easily without transferring execuatble
files across the networks. The Patch files are simple text files,
suitable for Xerox or FAX. A Patch file must be used in its entirety
exactly as shown without selective editing unless otherwise indicated
(such as patch 1 below).

	For reference, the bug fixes from the most recent MSR301.PCH
for MS-DOS Kermit version 3.01 are listed. This listing is from the
MSR301 file and was obtained from Columbia files coming from friends
and other third parties; go to Columbia for the real thing, or to a
well maintained archive such as Simtel20.

	Joe D.

301 \x204c ; File MSR301.PCH. No lines may precede this one.
; For MS Kermit/IBM-PC Version 3.01, Patches 1-11, 25 April 1990
; Put this file on your PC in the same directory with your MSKERMIT.INI file.
; Rename this file to be MSKERMIT.PCH.
; Then start MS-DOS Kermit and give the command PATCH, or give the
; command PATCH in MSKERMIT.INI.
;
; Patch 1 OPTIONAL. Use different video mode for Orchid Designer Professional
; VGA board when switching to 132 columns. Substitute new hexadecimal value of
; the video mode for the second "23" below. 23h is for Orchid Designer board.
; Patch 2 Correct redirection of REMOTE command lines
; Patch 3 stop unwanted echo of path from CD command
; Patch 4 correct rem login operation
; Patch 5 correct ASK if used within a macro
; Patch 6 fix CSI Pn G cursor command
; Patch 7 refix set log command within macros
; Patch 8 addition to Patch 3, remote login
; Patch 9 Tek mode escape parser mechanism, accomodate illegal sequences
; Patch 10 change Latin1 character set ident from I2/100 to I6/100
; Patch 11 clear serial port buffer at start of a sending transaction
; End of file MSR301.PCH

[NOW, the question is: Is there any these patches can be made
PERMANENT?  So that the PATCH file is required to be present when
KERMIT is loaded?  Does KERMIT have a SAVE command so that the PROGRAM
can be saved?  Similar to the save command with the Norton Editor...
gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 90 06:46:53 CDT
From: metze%uimrlm.dnet@uimrl5.mrl.uiuc.edu (Ginny, Director MRL Center for Computation)
Subject: pcsa

If there are any PC users out there familiar with VAX PCSA, I would appreciate
hearing about how you like it.  Please direct replies to me at
metze@uimrl5.mrl.uiuc.edu.  Thank you.

If this is of interest to others I will summarize the replies.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 1990  00:42 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

The following files have been recently uploaded to SIMTEL20:

NOTE: Type B is Binary; Type A is ASCII

 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
ZZAP54A.ZIP   B   68043  900507  Convert between ARC/DWC/LBR/LZH/PAK/ZIP/ZOO

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.BBSLISTS>
USBBS72.ZIP   B   46244  900507  Darwin's nationwide IBM BBS listing: 05/01/90

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.C>
64COLORS.ZIP  B   12382  900506  How to display all 64 EGA colors on VGA,w/Csrc

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.CLIPPER>
CLIPWNDW.ZIP  B    5143  900509  A small CLIPPER window library with source

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DBASE>
SNAP402D.ZIP  B  246562  900510  Documentation system for dBase and clones

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DIRUTL>
DF_JOIN2.ZIP  B   12920  900508  Display free disk space, even on joined drives
DS400.ZIP     B  160871  900510  Directory/file management and DOS shell pgm
WHERE37.ZIP   B   27491  900510  Fast file & ARC/ZIP/LZH/ZOO/PAK/PKA searcher

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL>
COPYQ221.ZIP  B   50902  900507  Fast multiple disk format/copy/verify. SYDEX
CORE292.ZIP   B   36397  900507  Core International hard disk benchmark, v2.92
DERMON11.ZIP  B   10368  900510  TSR monitors disk errors, keeps log of last 50

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EDUCATION>
COMPUCRO.ZIP  B   18273  900508  Computer assisted double acrostics puzzle DEMO

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EGA>
EARTH.ZIP     B   86527  900507  Spinning earth EGA demo

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>
QUICKREF.LST  A    2268  900509  Quick reference list to SIMTEL20's MSDOS dirs
SIMIBM.ARC    B  258520  900512  SIMTEL20 MSDOS files listing with descriptions
SIMIBM.IDX    A  454765  900512  SIMTEL20 MSDOS files listing with descriptions

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>
CDPSW15.ZIP   B  136299  900507  Xtree-like file manager with many features
IDC40.ZIP     B  133980  900507  Gary Conway's IDC shell & NARC archiver, v4.0

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.GRAPHICS>
FDESIGN.ZIP   B   75776  900511  Program to visually design IFS fractals
VIFS.ZIP      B  219943  900506  Fractal editor/generate views from desc. files

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.INFO>
DHRY0217.ZIP  B   19718  900511  Dhrystone benchmark as of 17 Feb 86
PCSTAT21.ZIP  B   14888  900510  Displays statistics of your PC/Clone system

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.IRIT>
DRAWFN3D.ZIP  B   81664  900511  Display 3D parametric surfaces, part of IRIT
DRAWFN3S.ZIP  B   72439  900511  Turbo C ver 2.0 sources for DRAWFUNC
IRIT.ZIP      B  133957  900511  Full CSG solid modeller, arbitrary orientation
IRIT2X.INF    A    4617  900511  Update info on IRIT v2.x (DRAWFN,IRIT,POLY3D)
IRITLIBS.ZIP  B   15023  900511  Libraries for IRIT sources
IRITS.ZIP     B  231209  900511  Turbo C ver 2.0 sources for IRIT
POLY3D.ZIP    B   79882  900511  Display 3D polygonal objects, part of IRIT
POLY3D-H.ZIP  B   50777  900511  Create hidden line removed pict., part of IRIT
POLY3D-R.ZIP  B   64729  900511  Render poly data into GIF images, part of IRIT
POLY3DHS.ZIP  B   63819  900511  Turbo C ver 2.0 sources for POLY3D-H
POLY3DRS.ZIP  B   81448  900511  Turbo C ver 2.0 sources for POLY3D-R
POLY3DS.ZIP   B   94023  900511  Turbo C ver 2.0 sources for POLY3D

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>
TL235.ZIP     B   55136  900510  Keyboard locking TSR, passive security

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MENU>
FLOPBOOT.ZIP  B   11494  900508  Simple menu system for floppy disks
MNUEZX10.ZIP  B   67757  900510  Simple to use hard disk menu system

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.OS2>
JCD10.ZIP     B   13093  900507  An improved change drive/directory for OS/2

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.PERL>
PERL3.ZIP     B  217538  900509  Practical Extraction and Report Language, v3.0

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.PRINTER>
EZLBLR10.ZIP  B   41477  900510  Generate all types of labels quickly

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER>
QUICKREF.LST  A    2268  900509  Quick reference list to SIMTEL20's MSDOS dirs
UUDECODE.TP5  A    5602  900509  Simple uudecode in Turbo Pascal v5.0
UUENCODE.TP5  A    5521  900509  Simple uuencode in Turbo Pascal v5.0

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.STATISTICS>
EFA25.ZIP     B   54480  900510  Statistics: Princ comp & image factor analysis

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
SCOUT43.ZIP   B  138985  900507  Super TSR Disk manager, v4.3 - fmt/mv/cpy/etc

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TROJAN-PRO>
FPROT109.ZIP  B  205929  900506  Virus detection/removal/prevention/information
VSHLD62B.ZIP  B   33449  900507  Resident virus infection prevention program

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TURBO-C>
TCU_20.ZIP    B  144400  900508  Pop-up/pulldown menus, notices & forms for TC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTL>
ASCII-PS.ZIP  B   47816  900511  Converts ASCII-to-PostScript, w/QuickBasic src
FGREP172.ZIP  B   12512  900510  Chris Dunford's fast text search w/wildcards
UC3D.ZIP      B    4610  900510  Displays user entered text msg as 3D animation

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.PCMAG>
VOL9N10.ZIP   B   89487  900507  PCMag:THREADS1,COMPUTE,NUMBERS,PARAVIEW,PRSTAT

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.RBBS-PC>
QES30.ZIP     B   57817  900510  Summarizes results of RBBS-PC questionaires
WUW16.ZIP     B   34020  900510  Who uploaded what? - Utility for RBBS sysops

Date: Mon, 14 May 90 08:41:25 PDT
From: bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil (William C. Marsh)
Subject: Sound Boards for the IBM-PC

I am looking for information about sound boards available for the IBM-PC.
Mostly I am looking for information about the popularity of the different
boards, compatibilities, sound quality, and support for the different
sound boards.  I am also interested in any programming information or
software developers 'kits' that are available.

Any description of the actual hardware used in the boards (PCM, FM, LA, etc)
would also be welcome!

Thanks in Advance!

Bill
------
Bill Marsh, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA
{arpa,mil}net: bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil
uucp: {ihnp4,akgua,decvax,dcdwest,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!nosc!bmarsh

------------------------------

Date: SAT, 12 MAY 90 01:43:32 MEZ
From: <I04GOB%DHHDESY3.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Upgrading NEAT-memory

Having a 286-160B NEATboard I decided to upgrade my 1MB up to 4MB.
So I purchased 36 1Mbit-DRAMS. They should be 511000-80, but I have
M81C1000-08Ps.  (The shop told me they should be equivalent by
manufacturing but have just other names.)

So I changed my 36 256Kbit RAMs with the new ones, turned on the
computer .. and nothing happened, no boot, either from floppy nor
from HD. even nothing on the screen!   the shop told me, I might
have damaged one RAM by static electricity and to change the RAMs
from bank1 to bank0. I did so, turned the machine on, and ... NOTHING!

Complaining again, I've been told my computer should be defect.
Changing the 1Mbit RAMS with my old 256Kbits......all was working
as it should do.

Well, what did I do wrong? My NEAT-manual is *very* spare with any
comments about such effects and I'm very sure, that I did'nt do anything
that the new RAMS should have been damaged by me and they all were
put tight and right on the sockets where they should sit in.

Any hint would be very welcome, because I'm not willing to throw my
money away.

Thanks in advance,

          Werner Goldbaum                        I04GOB@DHHDESY3.BITNET
 I.Institut f"ur Experimentalphysik              ----------------------