Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (05/26/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 26 May 90       Volume 90 : Issue  94

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                             Bogus SCAN.EXE
               KERMIT 3.01 highlighting problem (2 msgs)
                Looking for Musical Educational Software
                     needed info for Seagate ST296
                  Need to catch keyboard/mouse actions
                              OCR scanners
                   Point & Shoot and System security
                                PS/2 30
                         real estate management
            Recent mention of document on email connections
                       Shifted Periods and Commas
         SIM_PDOX.ZIP - Paradox converter/reader for SIMIBM.IDX
                                  TIFF
                           WP5.0 -> Star LC10

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessable on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-8pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date: Tue, 15 May 90 13:44:09 CET
From: Red Users Group on Provided Software <RED-UG@TREARN.BITNET>
Subject: Bogus SCAN.EXE

Just arrived from valert-l:

A file called SCAN.ZIP has been uploaded to one of the BBSs here, in
Israel. I noticed that the file was very small (about 7K of ZIP) and
the description said that it can detect 103 viruses.

I, of course, downloaded this file and checked it right away. This
program seems to be identical to SCAN.EXE from first look except for
two things:

1. The bogus SCAN was not written in C - it's write_to_screen routine
is much faster than the real SCAN's one.

2. The screen is cleared before the bogus SCAN.EXE activates itself.
The bogus SCAN size is 28720 bytes long - much smaller than the
original one.

The version of this bogus SCAN is 9.4V65. When you execute SCAN C: for
instance, it seems to work fine - It scans the memory (much faster than
usual, tough - false check) and starts checking the files (also, much
faster).

The reason for the quick files scan is that the files are actually
being replaced with a 14 bytes text file which contains the message:
"Next time...". Note that this file came as a stand alone file without
all the documentations and validation program. Also note that all the
messages from the real SCAN has been copied to the bogus SCAN.

 Just from looking at the messages, you can't tell if it's a real SCAN
or a bogus one (you can always check the version number, though).

I do not think that this file will not leave Israel but I would like to
warn everyone, anyway.

-Yuval Tal (NYYUVAL@WEIZMANN.BITNET)

| BitNet:   NYYUVAL@WEIZMANN       Domain: NYYUVAL@WEIZMANN.WEIZMANN.AC.IL |
| InterNet: NYYUVAL%WEIZMANN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU                        |
+----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Yuval Tal            | Voice:   +972-8-474592  (In Israel: 08-474592)    |
| P.O Box 1462         | BBS:     +972-8-471026 * 20:00-7:00 * 1200 * N81  |
| Rehovot, Israel      | FidoNet: 2:403/143                                |
+----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
|  "Always look on the bright side of life" *whistle*  -  Monty Python     |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 May 90 13:31:39 EDT
From: Les Eastman <lreastma@crdec7.apgea.army.mil>
Subject: KERMIT 3.01 highlighting problem

> The new KERMIT 3.01 has a lot of nice features in it (thanks,
> Columbia!) but it seems to invert the logic of screen highlighting.

I found the same problem and do not use it for that reason.

Did you send a copy of your mesage to Info-Kermit?

I found that I could get high intensity by using the inverse video
attribute.  Where I would normally use ESC[1;33;41m to get high
intensity yellow on red, in KERMIT 3.01, I had to use ESC[7;31;43m.
Since I do not want to rewrite a bunch of stuff, I do not use KERMIT
3.01.

I consider it a serious bug.

Les Eastman

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 May 90 18:01:07 EDT
From: Joe Morris <jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org>

I think I found the reason for the problem where KERMIT 3.0x is
inverting the logic of text highlighting.  It's apparently a feechur.

The initialization logic looks at the text attributes of the screen
when KERMIT is started.  In effect, whatever it finds to be the current
highlighting mode of the *DOS* screen is taken as the "normal" KERMIT
mode, and "highlighted" mode is the inverse.  Thus, if you set up your
DOS screen (as I do) with the text highlighted to make it easily
readable, KERMIT uses that mode as its normal display and inverts it
(== non-highlighted) when it receives <ESC>[1m to invoke highlighting.

Offhand I can't see any reason for this feechur to exist.  DOS modes
should be irrelevent to the display mode called for by the remote
host...or am I missing something?  Any chance we can get the feechur
removed, or at least put under the control of a switch (and
documented)?

Joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 May 90 10:21:34 EDT
From: zielke@phy.duke.edu (David Zielke)
Subject: Looking for Musical Educational Software

I am looking for software which would help to improve a 12 year old's
ability with sight reading music.  A game type environment would be
preferable.  She plays the piano to some degree but is moving to
trombone in the band and so sight reading would be very useful...

Thanks in advance...

David Zielke
zielke@physics.phy.duke.edu
zielke@cs.duke.edu
zielke@ccf3.nrl.navy.mil

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 May 90 13:47:49 PDT
From: khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe)
Subject: needed info for Seagate ST296

I want to add a second hard disk on my system. Currently, I have
Seagate ST251 and MFM WD1006V controller. I am interested in purchasing
Seagate ST296 with a SCSI Controller as a second hard drive.

My question are: is it a realiable hard disk (st296) ? will it work
with the combination controller (MFM and SCSI) on the same machine
(AT/386) ?

I would like to know some of the answer above before I spend my dollar.

Thank you
    internet:   khioe@Mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov  [ 128.149.61.1 ]
    uucp    :   ames!elroy!mona.jpl.nasa.gov!khioe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 May 90 17:44:11 EDT
From: gary@ctc.contel.com (Gary Bisaga  x4219)
Subject: Need to catch keyboard/mouse actions

I need to catch keystrokes and mouse movements and log them into a file
for later analysis w/DOS.  I certainly have some ideas as to how to get
the keystrokes, but I would still appreciate any thoughts people can
give to me about it. I have never really worked with the mouse at a low
level so I'm not really sure HOW I'd go about doing it (I could use
either a bus or a serial mouse -- whatever's easier).  Please reply
directly to me and I will post the results.  I appreciate any help
along these lines I can get.

Sincerely,
Gary Bisaga (gary@ctc.contel.com)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 May 90 15:04:14 PDT
From: Dale$SCHULTZ.UNDHPD@f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org (Dale$SCHULTZ UNDHPD)
Subject: OCR scanners

We are in the process of purchasing OCR scanning facilities at the
University of Natal, Durban. Instead of starting an entire evaluation
project I would like to tap the knowledge of those of you out there who
have already been through it all. I would like the following
information:

1    Pointers to major magazine reviews on OCR scanners and software.

2    What have other academic computer facilities opted for ?

3    Should the character recognition aspect be hardware or software
based ?

4    If your purchase turned out to be a mistake, please let me know.

5    What is the recommended minimum resolution scanner that is
required ?

We will probably connect the scanner to a 386 on a Novell Ethernet LAN.

Replies can be sent to the group or to me directly. If there is
sufficient response I will summarise for the group.  Direct replies
must be sent to: SCHULTZ.UNDHPD@F4.N494.Z5.FIDONET.ORG Do not include
any other text (even in quotes) in the ADDRESS field.

Many thanks in advance,
Dale Schultz
Senior Information Centre Consultant
Computer Services Division
University of Natal
King George V Avenue
Durban 4001
South Africa

E_Mail: SCHULTZ on node UNDHPD     (Don't include the DALE$)
International: SCHULTZ.UNDHPD@f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org

uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!5!494!4!Dale$SCHULTZ.UNDHPD
Internet: Dale$SCHULTZ.UNDHPD@f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 May 90 16:55:48 EST
From: "Jason P. Meyers" <JPMEYERS%MTUS5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Point & Shoot and System security

I just noticed that someone was trying to prevent students from loading
illegal files and causing viruses to spread.  The recomendation to use
Point & Shoot is a great idea.  It won't allow you to issue individual
passwords to each user.  Instead it is a menu program that allows you
to create your own menus.  An option is available to attach a password
to individual menu selections.  Passwords can be up to 8 characters
long and each menu selection can have its own password.  Also you can
set up a password to exit the program into DOS.

By using Point & Shoot you can ALMOST prevent students from getting
into DOS.  Basically all you have to do is set up a menu system which
will allow them to run only the programs that you want them to access
to.  You can put different passwords on the different items allowing
only certain students access to certain files.  The one problem is that
students (if they are smart enough) could still get access to DOS by
running a program that will allow them to shell into DOS (like Word
Perfect, Lotus 123, and almost every other commercial program.).

They most likely wouldn't be able to run their games because the
program that they shelled from would still be in memory; however, they
could still load the programs on to the system.

If you have any specific questions you can contact me at one of the two
addresses: JPMEYERS@MTUS5.BITNET (after August 25, 1990) or
MEYERS%CMRSD.DECNET@CCF.NRL.NAVY.MIL (durring most of the summer)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 May 90 15:56:00 EDT
From: CLLM1931%BCIT.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject: PS/2 30

 Has anyone attempted to put a 1.44mb drive into an IBM PS/2 30??

 I queried some vendors and got three responses, IMPOSSIBLE , change
the motherboard to a PS/2 30-286 and use a separate drive controller
card at a different address within the system.

 If anyone has tried or accomplished this feat please let me know of
your results.

 Regards,
 Mark

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 May 90 00:27:55 EST
From: hj.waters@lynx.northeastern.edu
Subject: real estate management

 I am looking for a commerical (low cost) or a shareware piece of
software to conduct real estate rental property management.  I'm
conducting a research project to determine what is currently available
on the market and just how extensive the programs are.

Any leads or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Hank Waters
e-mail hj.waters@lynx.helios.northeastern.edu
voice (617)437-2375/2378

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 May 90 10:43 EDT
From: Bob Belvin <BELVIN@zodiac.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Recent mention of document on email connections

There was a recent mention in one of the listings I receive about a
document someone in England had written concerning sending email from
one network to another, e.g. BITNET to Chinanet.  I got a copy of the
document which has since vaporized.  Was it mentioned in the digest and
if so what is the source of it.  [Regretfully, it was not mentioned in
the Digest.  Does anyone else know anything about this document?]

Bob Belvin

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 May 90 16:46:55 cdt
From: "Gregory Sherar" <gsherar@sarthe.cme.umn.edu>
Subject: Shifted Periods and Commas

Jerry Pournelle writes on page 68 of Byte, May 1990: "...they
distribute, at their cost, POURVOUS.COM, a timy (20-byte) TSR program
that makes the comma and the period keys print commas and periods
shifted or unshifted. (You do Alt-Shift to get the <> characters."

"they" being:	Northgate Computer Systems
		13705 First Ave. N.
		Plymouth, MN 55441
		800-548-1993

and "their cost" $5.00.

[HOWEVER, the new 'OmniKey Plus' has this function built in to the
keyboard.  I have one.  Other than the slightly tinny feeling ot the
<enter> key, I'm quite satisified.  gph]

		Gregory Sherar
		Senior Systems Software Programmer
		University of Minnesota
		Dept.of Civil & Mineral Engineering
		(612) 625-4014
		Internet:	gsherar%sarthe@vx.acss.umn.edu
		BITNET:		GSHERAR@UMINN1
		Compuserve:	73577,2054

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 May 1990  13:08 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: SIM_PDOX.ZIP - Paradox converter/reader for SIMIBM.IDX

Date: Wed, 16 May 90 13:45:38 -0400
From: Antonio Soares <soares@vlsi.ll.mit.edu>
Subject: TIFF

Does anyone know where I could get the C source code for a program that
can read and write TIFF files. I would appreciate it if anyone could
help me locate them if they do exit. Thanks.

			soares@vdd.vlsi.ll.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: 16 May 90 15:19:30 GMT
From: nspit@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl (Werenfried Spit)
Subject: WP5.0 -> Star LC10

Hello,

I have a problem with a Star LC10 printer, using WP5.0. The printer
*always* skips the first ~3cm of the page. (No, changing the value of
topmargin in WP5.0 doesn't help).

Has anyone ideas about what to do?  Thanks

Werenfried

Werenfried Spit
   R.J. v.d. Graafflaboratorium            +31-(0)30-53-2330
   Postbus 80.000
   3508 TA  Utrecht                        nspit@fys.ruu.nl
   The Netherlands                         spit@hutruu51.bitnet

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #94