Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (06/03/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun,  3 Jun 90       Volume 90 : Issue  99

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                           "Secure" Diskette?
                        (R)Once a Day batch file
                     3.5 high density floppies....
                    Advice on Unix on a '386 wanted
              DESQview hangs when floppy disk is accessed
          EZPIC320.ZIP - FREE MS-DOS menu program for DOD use
                     VGA board too good to be true?
                           NEC P2200 drivers.
             Problem with exp-function in Turbo Pascal 5.0
        TIDY61.ZIP - Clean up FORTRAN-77 programs w/FORTRAN src

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessable on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-8pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date: Fri May 25 11:27:53 EDT 1990
From: vbradner@md3b2p.att.com
Subject: "Secure" Diskette?

Can anyone suggest shareware or commercial software that I could use to
"secure" files on a diskette?

I have nearly 300 files on a 1.44 meg floppy disk, many of which
contain proprietary information.  I can't easily lock up the diskette
all the time.  I could encrypt each of the files, but that would be a
pretty long process given the number of files I have.  Instead, I would
like to make the disk unreadable without a password key (that sounds a
bit like a virus which I don't want!).

Anyone have any suggestions?

     Thanks - Vern Bradner
              att!md3b2p!vbradner
              vbradner@md3b2p.att.com

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 23 May 1990 17:10:04 EST
From: m11805@mwvm.mitre.org (Ted McMichael)
Subject: (R)Once a Day batch file

In Info-IBMPC Digest, Volume 90 : Issue  90, dated Mon, 21 May 90,
Jhinuk Chowdhury asked:

> Within the last few months, I had come across an example of a batch
> file illustrated in one of the top three or four magazines that I
> cannot seem to locate now.  It was a batch file (that could be
> inserted in the Autoexec.bat) that enables one to run selected
> programs (excutables) once every day - the first time the computer
> is booted.  Such a file would help in running things like disk
> sorts, defragmentation, format recover information updates, etc.,
> only once instead of each time the machine is booted.

Jhinuk,

     I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but
there is a program on SIMTEL20 that is described as follows:

Directory:  PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>

 Filename    Length   Date    Description
PDAILY.ARC    11933  880612  Patriquin's execute a program once a day

I haven't downloaded this file, so I don't know any more about it than
what you see here.  Hope this is what you are looking for.

*
*
*  Ted McMichael
*         Phone:  703-883-7408         Fax:  703-883-6436
*        E-Mail:  Ted@MITRE.ORG
*       US Mail:  MITRE, 7525 Colshire Drive, McLean, VA 22102-3481

------------------------------

Date: 23 May 1990 18:49:04 CDT
From: "Bob Johnson (312) 245-3532" <U27745@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: 3.5 high density floppies....

Another snag is that a 720k disk formatted to 1.44m (on a PS/2) can't
be read by the Northgate machines I have access to (GENERAL FAILURE
ERROR....).  This leads me to believethat there is something in the
BIOSthat looks for that hole.

  Bj

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 90 13:00:48 -0500
From: CFJPH%BOGECNVE@UICVM.uic.edu
Subject: Advice on Unix on a '386 wanted

     I am looking for advice about a good version of Unix to run on a
386 EISA machine that will be used as a file server on an IBM Token
Ring network.  Any pertinent advice will be appreciated, and I'm
especially interested in answers to the following.

   Does AIX run on an EISA machine?  IBM says they don't know.
   Does anyone have comments or advice about SCO Unix?
   Does anyone have experience with Unix on an IBM Token Ring?

    Judy Halchin
    Academic Computing
    Eastern Illinois University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 90 12:40:43 GMT
From: Dave Ulrick <A01DGU1%NIUCS.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: DESQview hangs when floppy disk is accessed

I'm running DESQview 2.26 (the 386 version) and QEMM 5.00 on a Memorex
Telex 7255 PC.  I usually run Extra! 1.41 and Procomm Plus 1.1B.

Normally, the only PC files I need to access are on my hard disk, but I
would like to occasionally read and/or write files on a floppy disk.
However, doing so normally causes my PC to hang.

As an experiment, I created a program entry for a DOS window that
neither shares CPU when in foreground nor runs in background.  Guess
what?  I can do anything I want with a floppy disk in that window!  I
don't feel that this is an answer to my problem, though, since I am
uncomfortable with the idea of my communications being frozen while I'm
working with a floppy disk.

For instance, I can get logged off my mainframe sessions if my PC (aka
327x terminal) refuses to accept a write order because the software is
frozen!  Do you have any suggestions about what I can do to access
floppy disks while continuing to multitask?

Thanks,
Dave

+------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Dave Ulrick                  | Bitnet:    A01DGU1@NIUCS            |
| Northern Illinois University |                                     |
| DeKalb, IL, USA              |                                     |
+------------------------------+-------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 1990  20:56 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: EZPIC320.ZIP - FREE MS-DOS menu program for DOD use

Date: Thu, 24 May 90 20:20 EDT
From:  <ACSCS@SEMASSU.BITNET>
Subject: VGA board too good to be true?

Hi Everyone,

I just saw an ad for the LOGIX VGA 1000 board and was wondering if
anyone has one or has heard anything about it.  According to the add,
it will work with all monitors, supports analog and digital, auto
sensing 8/16 bit bus.

This sounds to good to be true, I would love to get VGA for my machine
(upgrading from my current CGA system) without having to spend a
fortune on a new VGA multiscan or multisync monitor.

The only thing in the ad that scared me was the mention of it coming
with drivers, I have always had bad luck with drivers.

Any ideas or suggestions would be apreciated.

Chris Sullivan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 May 90 10:17 N
From: <RCSTJG%HEITUE5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: NEC P2200 drivers.

hello there,

Is there anyone who can tell me where I can find printer drivers for a
NEC P2200? or maybe send me one?  The thing doesn't seem to emulate
anything at all.

I need one for Ventura Publisher 1.1 and Orcad 3.0, everything else is
also welcome.

Thanks, Jan Evert van Grootheest,

RCSTJG@HEITUE51.BITNET     ( or heitue5 if 51 bounces )

------------------------------

Date: 25 May 90 16:25 +0100
From: Leonhard Cadetg <cadetg@phim.unibe.ch>
Subject: Problem with exp-function in Turbo Pascal 5.0

Hi,

I encountered the following thing>

Problem with exp-function:

Entering a number x < -1419 or > 1419 in exp(x) -function results in
Error 207.  (Invalid floating point operation). Why?  There is no Error
205/206 (Floating point overflow/underflow).  All variables are of type
extended. Its a 80287 system with coprocessor.  Remark: exp(1419) =
1.836E+616, ie. within range of extended type.

Can anybody explain me that?

Thanx in advance, Leonhard.

Date: Thu, 24 May 1990  21:10 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>