Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (06/03/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun,  3 Jun 90       Volume 90 : Issue 100

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Chinhae Korea <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                           DEC-PCSA software
                  Excel and SimIbm.Idx, MSWindows 3.0
            How a 20MB disc can become a 30MB disc overnight
                   Re:  EASYLAN 4.0 NETWORK ON 386SX
                          Re: TECO for the PC
                            MAC disks on PC
                   NEEDED: Information about IBM ROMS
         Programming the DMA Chip for Memory to Memory Transfer
                               Quiet Fans
                    Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20
                              Word Gallery
                      Re:  1.44MB vs 1.2MB problem

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessable on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-8pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date: Sat, 26 May 90 16:25:18 GMT
From: freelsj @ oak.span
Subject: DEC-PCSA software

We have several PC clones (286s, 386s, etc) under MS-DOS or equivalent
with the DEC-PCSA software installed to interface with a VAX-cluster.
As I see it there are several advantages and disadvantages to this
setup.

Advantages that I have used:

1.  allows the VAX disk space to be utilized directly by your PC as a
"virtual" disk drive.  Allows for high-speed file transfer via
ethernet.

2.  allows the VAX printers to be utilized directly by your PC.  I have
used line-printers, laser printers, and laser printers emulating
Tektronix plots, etc.

3.  Allows for terminal emulation on the VAX via you PC.  DEC supplies
a terminal emulation that does not include Tektronix graphic emulation.
It turns out that Kermit 3.01 can also utilize this same interface via
the "set port decnet ???" command, where ??? is the VAX node name.  I
just use Kermit since Tektronix graphics emulation is built in also.

Advantages that I understand exist but I have not used:

1.  Allows multiple PC's to share files (i.e., login to other PCs
somehow sort of like a LAN).  We treat out PCs as "personal computers"
and don't really plan to exercise this option.

2.  MS-Windows is bundled with the PCSA software and allows that
environment to exist.  We use Desqview for true memory management and
multi-tasking and don't particular care for the mouse-driven graphics
interface (personally it insults my intelligence).

3.  Other stuff I'm sure I am not aware of.

Disadvantages:

1.  DEC-PCSA is a memory hog!  Let me say that again.  I mean a
memory-HOG!!  Without PCSA software installed, I have successfully
configured my machine so that 610K memory is available and lots of TSRs
loaded in conventional memory with approximately 60-80K reserved memory
left for other stuff.  When I load up the PCSA software, I can get a
good fraction of it into the reserved memory (all this is via the
Quarterdeck QEMM-386 software) but the amount of conventional memory
available drops from 610K to 466K!  Then after you get it loaded, you
can't get rid of it except to reboot!  Yes, I have tried all kinds of
TSR management software such as TSRCOM.  PCSA basically absorbs all the
interupts and memory on a machine.

2.  I can then run Desqview-386 and multi-task.  Without PCSA loaded, I
can get a 550K window.  With PCSA loaded, the largest DOS window is
366K.  Furthermore, there have been some instances when things will be
going along just fine and multi-tasking is doing great.  Then all of a
sudden, the machine hangs so bad you must power down.  This only
happens with PCSA loaded.

3.  The DEC-PCSA documentation is poor.  You can't really get a handle
on everything you have.  Perhaps if I had time to get into it more,
then some of these problems could be cleaned up.  I tried to not load
some of the software, but apparently you must load it all (there are
10-12 things that execute to load all of PCSA).

4.  PCSA v3.00 is supposed to be less memory intensive but DEC is yet
to deliver what we have paid for and it has been several months now.
They delivered it once on diskette form when we requested 9-track tape
form.  Apparently, the entire package is on the order of 50Mb.  What
goes on your PC is minimal.  You must have a good VAX system manager
who is also interested in PC networking to get this to work.  We have
been fortunate in that respect.

I hope I haven't discouraged anyone.  It is much better than Kermiting
files or direct serial connection even at 19200Kb.  The file transfer
between PC and VAX is fast.  For example, I can transfer a 12Mb file
from PC to VAX (or vice versa) in about 2 minutes.  Large print files
also are delivered to the VAX very quickly.  We anticipate an FTP and
TC/IP VAX connection soon that will allow direct mail to the PC via an
ehernet node.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 90 00:19:57 EDT
From: Don Mac Phee <GKZ101@URIACC.URI.EDU>
Subject: Excel and SimIbm.Idx, MSWindows 3.0

    Having nothing better to do over the past week or so, I decided to
try and import SIMIBM.IDX into MS Excel. Sadly, I ran out of memory
(1MB). So I read it into WinWord, and it managed to read the whole
thing fine!

    Questions as follows: WinWord is obviously only reading in a
portion of the file, and as you advance through it, it reads the next
'chunk' in. Is there a way to force Excel to do this? Or am I stuck
breaking this up into 'chunks' manually?

    MSWindows 3.0: I know this is probably fairly premature, but has
anyone heard if MSWindows 3.0 is/will be backwardly compatible to 2.11?

    For Reference: I'm running Windows 2.11 on a PS/2 Mod 50z with 1M
of memory. I have the stock configuration for Windows for that machine.

Don Mac Phee | Gkz101@Uriacc.Uri.Edu | A brief list of Mailer Pet
AAA Software | "It's not my fault!!" | Peeves. -Don.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 May 90 08:26:29 PDT
From: dbarber@pnet01.cts.com (David C. Barber)
Subject: How a 20MB disc can become a 30MB disc overnight

I'm using 2 routings for this, so you may get it twice.

Manjit Trehan asks why, after I low-level formatted a 20MB disc with my
controller, DOS now reports the disc as containing 30MB.

The easiest way to check the capacity of your disc under DOS is to run
the CHKDSK program.  (i.e. if your new disc is disc D:, you would type:

        CHKDSK D:

The program gives about a dozen lines of information, including the
overall size of the disc.

As to how your disc could have suddenly _gained_ an extra 50% capacity,
if your friend was using it with an MFM (modified frequency modulation)
controller, and your controller is an RLL (run length limited)
controller, your disc capacity would go up anywhere from 50% to 100%
over the older MFM since RLL makes better use of the disc surface
space.

While this is obviously very nice, there *is* a potential problem.  For
reliable RLL operation, the tolerances on disc rotation speed are much
tighter.  Discs that meet these tighter tolerances are usually
certified as RLL capable.  If your disc is not certified as RLL capable
(and you are actually using an RLL controller), you may get occasional
hard to detect errors.  Some discs, even when not certified as RLL,
will operate with RLL, others won't.  If you have questions about your
particular controller & disc, contact the disc manufacturer.

                                        *David Barber*

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!dbarber
ARPA: crash!pnet01!dbarber@nosc.mil
INET: dbarber@pnet01.cts.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 May 90 17:19:21 -0400
From: aa381@cleveland.Freenet.Edu
Subject: Re:  EASYLAN 4.0 NETWORK ON 386SX

Is anyone out there using the above system, in hi mem, with MSDOS 4.01?
I'm using QEMM-386 with shadow RAM and haven't made the network run yet
from hi mem or ext or expanded.

I have memory to spare and need to keep the conv. 640K available for
hungry Word Perfect.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Jeff Gerber
Cleveland  OH  voice 216-291-1262
aa381@cleveland.freenet.edu

--
<<<< Jeff Gerber, Lawyer/sysop aa381@cleveland.freenet.edu >>>>>
<<<< 5010 Mayfield Road, Lyndhurst OH  44124 (216-291-1262)

------------------------------

Date: 27 May 90 02:13:37 GMT
From: bgsuvax!maner@cis.ohio-state.edu (Walter Maner)
Subject: Re: TECO for the PC

From a query submitted by Michael Harris <mh@bbn.com>:

> Anyone know where I can get TECO for the PC?
>
> -- Michael Harris     mh@bbn.com     617-873-3794

VEDIT from CompuView is a major TECO derivative.
WALT

InterNet maner@andy.bgsu.edu  (129.1.1.2)    | BGSU, Comp Science Dept
UUCP     ... ! osu-cis ! bgsuvax ! maner     | Bowling Green, OH 43403
BITNet   MANER@BGSUOPIE                      | 419/372-2337  Secretary
Relays   @relay.cs.net, @nsfnet-relay.ac.uk  | FAX is available - call

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 May 90 17:07:31 BST
From: Greg Newman <pgn%KC.ABERDEEN.AC.UK@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Loading device drivers into expanded/extended memory.

Does anybody know if there's any way I can load device drivers,
specifically network drivers, into memory above 640K?  I need to
connect machines to a network and still leave room for loading in
applications that require in excess of 512K free RAM.... I'm using
MS-DOS 3.3, if that's any help.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe,
Greg.Simon's Law:
	Everything put together falls apart sooner or later.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 May 90 20:38:00 EST
From: Norman Walsh <NORM%IONAACAD@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>

QEMM/386 (which is sold as a stand-alone package or as part of
DesqView) comes with a memory manager that will load both device
drivers and TSR's into high-memory.  QEMM/386 (bundled with a great
memory-mapping/system information tool called Manifest) sells for about
$100, I think.
                                                     ndw

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 90 11:17:30 MEZ
From: "Heinrich Brandt" <KREG05HB%DE0WTZ1A@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>

You will need some memory management system, like 386-to-the-max, which
lets you load device drivers and TSRs into high memory. On my system,
with a whole bunch of device drivers and TSRs, i have about 560KB free,
using 386max and 4DOS. This applies to 386-systems only, of course. I
don't know wether there are equivalent programs out for 286-based
systems.

-H.Brandt-

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 90 11:17:00 N
From: Felix Geerinckx <FEELG%PHS.UIA.AC.BE@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: MAC disks on PC

Hi,

One of my collegues wants to read MAC disks on a PC (without having
access to a MAC). Any hints (preferably PD-software)?

-felix (FEELG@BANUIA51.Bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 May 90 21:39:23 EDT
From: zielke@phy.duke.edu (David Zielke)
Subject: NEEDED: Information about IBM ROMS

  I have need to patch the ROMs in my IBM-AT (ROM Date '84) I have
found the information which I need to change but I assume that the ROMs
have a checksum of some sort which I also need to update.  Does anyone
know where the checksum is located in the ROM and what method is used
to calculate it?

David Zielke
zielke@phy.duke.edu
zielke@cs.duke.edu
zielke@ccf3.nrl.navy.mil

------------------------------

Date: 24 May 90 13:45 GMT+0100
From: Matjaz Rihtar <rihtar%uni-lj.ac.mail.yu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Programming the DMA Chip for Memory to Memory Transfer

Hello!
  I have one question about programming DMA chip on PC/AT, but since I
am a relatively new subscriber of Info-IBMPC (3 months), I don't know
if that question has been discused/answered yet. It is concerned with
memory-to-memory tranfer with DMA. As far as I know (Intel Catalogue),
DMA chip 8237 is capable of doing this transfer only on channels 0 and
1, but on PC/XTs and (most) PC/ATs channel 0 is reserved for memory
refresh. And in fact, if you program these channels with new values,
strange things happen with the same program on different computers -
some simply freeze, the others do something, but nothing useful.  So,
my question is - is memory-to-memory transfer with DMA on PC/AT really
impossible or am I missing something?

Regards,

Matjaz Rihtar, Systems Programmer         tel. +38 61 340-285
University Computer Center, Kardeljeva pl. 17, YU-61000 Ljubljana
INTERNET:  rihtar@uni-lj.ac.mail.yu
BITNET:    matjaz%uek@yubgef51.bitnet      UUCP: ...!mcsun!matjaz@fer.yu
X.400:     Matjaz Rihtar <S=rihtar;O=uni-lj;P=ac;A=mail;C=yu>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 90 08:11 CST
From: Ken Selvia x3547 <UCS_KAS%SHSUODIN.BITNET@tamvm1.tamu.edu>
Subject: Quiet Fans

Hello net-people,

    I have two terminals and a PC in my office.  I would like to use
the PC as a terminal but the fan makes too much noise.  (Drowns out the
radio ;))  Can anyone recommend a source for VERY quiet fans for an AT
clone?  If you have a fan that's almost inaudible I would appreciate it
if you could send me it's make and model number.

    Thanks a lot!  I would rather hear from you than take the word of a
salesman on the phone.

Kenneth Selvia               Internet : ucs_kas%shsu.decnet@utadnx.cc.utexas.edu
Programmer Analyst             BITNET : UCS_KAS@SHSU.BITNET
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77341                    [I have no opinions. I make no claims]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 May 1990  09:01 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

The following files have been recently uploaded to SIMTEL20:

NOTE: Type B is Binary; Type A is ASCII

 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ALLCHARGE>
ALLEMM4.ZIP   B   15458  900525  ALLEMM4 EMS driver v2.50 for ALL CHARGECARD
ALLMENU.ZIP   B   66278  900525  ALLEMM4 menu utility. Incl. Network Data files
NEW.ZIP       B  166343  900525  The complete ALL CHARGECARD software ver C2.50

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
AM453.ZIP     B  174941  900522  ArcMaster front-end/convert for .ARC/.ZIP/.LZH
COMPR16.ZIP   B   11106  900523  ZIP/LZH/PAK/ARC/ZOO/DWC extract/view/freshen
SHEZ55.ZIP    B  114707  900522  Shell for archive manipulation, w/virus check

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.AWK>
AWK214.ZIP    B   77831  900522  Rob Duff's AWK interpreter, v2.14
AWK_REV3.ZIP  B   14085  900522  Reviews of AWK for MS-DOS, v3

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.BATUTL>
ASK10.ZIP     B   13741  900522  Ask questions in batch files, with time-out
DAT12.ZIP     B   10825  900522  Display date and time for program logging
KEYSTF.ZIP    B     941  900523  BAT util: Stuffs characters into kbd buffer
RING12.ZIP    B   12683  900522  Rings console bell. Useful for BAT files
XECHO11.ZIP   B    9218  900525  For batch files: A smart echo with options

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DESKACCESS>
AN-101.ZIP    B   40314  900523  Advance Notice v1.01 - early warning of events

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DESQVIEW>
DVEXCPT.ZIP   B    1987  900523  Quarterdeck technical note 'EXCEPTION #13'
DVSWITCH.ZIP  B    1263  900523  DESQview command line switches documented
DVWINDOW.ZIP  B    2926  900523  DESQview 2.2 and QEMM 4.2 with Windows - notes

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DIRUTL>
WHERE40.ZIP   B   34583  900522  Fast file & ARC/ZIP/LZH/ZOO/PAK/PKA searcher
WHICH20.ZIP   B   19231  900522  Scan PATH for executable programs

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EMULATORS>
V20BOOT.ZIP   B   81330  900522  Turbo Pascal source code for V20 CP/M emulator

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>
SIMIBM.ARC    B  262338  900526  SIMTEL20 MSDOS files listing with descriptions
SIMIBM.IDX    A  459237  900526  SIMTEL20 MSDOS files listing with descriptions

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>
DM308.ZIP     B   71413  900523  Directory Master 3.08, DOS shell/sweep utility
ISL12.ZIP     B   15090  900522  Lists names of EXE files compressed with LZEXE
QFIL31L.ZIP   B  114314  900523  QFiler DOS shell/file mgr, handles ARC/ZIP/LZH
TM121.ZIP     B   86613  900523  TreeMaster v1.21: Hard disk directory manager
UNLZEXE4.ZIP  B   11903  900522  Converts LZEXE compressed EXE to original EXE
UUEXE402.ZIP  B   26662  900525  R.E.Marks' UUdecode/UUencode/XXdecode/XXencode

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FORTRAN>
TIDY61.ZIP    B  117302  900524  Clean up FORTRAN-77 programs w/FORTRAN src

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.GRAPHICS>
EEDRAW.ZIP    B  189081  900525  Electrical eng'g drawing, w/print & GIF output
FRAINT13.ZIP  B  233571  900522  Fast fractal generator - SuperVGA, 3D, 32 bits
FRASRC13.ZIP  B  322190  900522  Source code for FRACTINT version 13.0
GRAFWK27.ZIP  B  211757  900520  View/cvt/print MAC/IMG/GIF/TIFF/EPS graphics

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.HAMRADIO>
MININEC3.INF  A    6506  900525  Info and hints on how to run MININEC3 pgm

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.INFO>
AMIREL.ZIP    B   22489  900523  Info on AMI BIOS releases, some technical info
GAMEPORT.INF  A    3330  900520  How to: read game port, schematic, hookup info
MEMMAP2.ZIP   B    8595  900523  Displays alloc. memory blocks & TSRs/environs

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MENU>
EZPIC320.ZIP  B  164970  900524  FREE MS-DOS menu program for DOD use

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.PASCAL>
PNL002.ZIP    B   20194  900520  The Pascal NewsLetter, issue #2

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.QBASIC>
QUIRKS.ZIP    B   21317  900522  Bugs, quirks, points of interest for QB 4.5

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SCREEN>
EXPLS122.ZIP  B    9281  900522  CGA/EGA/MCGA/VGA/Herc fireworks/screen saver
GRABB340.ZIP  B   33222  900522  Creates .COM files from console screens
ZENO22.ZIP    B   10376  900520  Speeds up some screen writes by 100% or more

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SPREADSHEET>
EXCL41-1.ZIP  B  153378  900523  ExpressCalc v4.10, spreadsheet pgm, 1 of 2
EXCL41-2.ZIP  B   97221  900523  ExpressCalc v4.10, spreadsheet pgm, 2 of 2

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
387.ZIP       B   24147  900523  Software emulation of 80387 coprocessor chip
BLRUT33.ZIP   B  133242  900522  Backup, list, and reformat utilities

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TEX>
TGRIND.ZIP    B   51822  900525  Formats C or other pgms for printing with TeX

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TROJAN-PRO>
SECURE12.ZIP  B   18793  900523  Virus/trojan security, prevents unauth. writes

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTL>
CC20.ZIP      B   17787  900522  Replace mainframe carriage ctrls with CRLFs
CTOC30.ZIP    B  106587  900523  VP/XyWrite/Penta/MagnaType txt code conversion
QUOTE22.ZIP   B   55937  900522  Random quote generator with 500+ quotes

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ZIP>
X_V23.ZIP     B   13280  900522  Run compressed prg or batch files out of a ZIP

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.FOSSIL>
X00V121G.ZIP  B   87623  900522  Interrupt-driven FOSSIL driver for BBS use

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.HANDICAP>
BDIR2.ZIP     B   19494  900524  Large character directory lister
BEDIT2.ZIP    B   61470  900523  Text editor. Uses large characters
BIGECHO.ZIP   B    4141  900523  Print large letters in batch files
BIGTIMER.ZIP  B   15376  900523  A timer with large characters
BLOOK2.ZIP    B   24009  900524  Look at ascii files in large characters
BPOP2.ZIP     B  101076  900523  TSR magnifying glass (10 to 52 chars/line)
BTYPE2.ZIP    B   20304  900524  DOS TYPE command in large characters
CAPSTATE.ZIP  B   24943  900523  Turn on/off or test keyboard caps lock
LOCKBEEP.ZIP  B    1550  900523  Different beeps for kbd caps lock/unlock
MEGAN.ZIP     B   11904  900523  Megan's Toy, a pop up text enlarger
SEEBEEP.ZIP   B    1547  900523  For hearing impaired: Beep flashes the screen
SIGN37.ZIP    B  238715  900523  Sign Friends: Learn sign language

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.MODEM>
JMOD306.ZIP   B   81554  900522  Jmodem file transfer protocol, with C source

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.PCMAG>
VOL9N11.ZIP   B   27047  900523  PCMag: MEMMAP2,SE.BAT,SED.BAT,SWAP.BAT,THREADS

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.RBBS-PC>
RCHAT201.ZIP  B   22871  900523  Chat between RBBS-PC 17.3 nodes without doors
TESTDIR9.ZIP  B   12803  900523  Compares RBBS-PC directory against disk files

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.TELIX>
JMD4TLX.ZIP   B   17820  900523  Telix script for enhanced JModem file xfers

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.UUCP>
SMAILBIN.ZIP  B  115080  900526  smail/PC - smart uucp mailer for MS-DOS, 1of2
SMAILSRC.ZIP  B  124737  900526  smail/PC - smart uucp mailer for MS-DOS, 2of2

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.ZMODEM>
DSZ-ANSI.ZIP  B    1833  900520  Adds color to DSZ modem pgm (needs ANSI.SYS)
YAMDEMO.ZIP   B  155547  900522  Pro-YAM communications SW demo
YAMHELP.ZIP   B   96353  900522  Flash-up help processor+database for YAM
ZCOMMDOC.ZIP  B  230912  900522  Documentation for ZCOMM communications pgm
ZCOMMEXE.ZIP  B  160000  900522  Comm prog w/AUTO Kermit, X,Y,Zmodem, SEAlink

--Keith Petersen
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.mil  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 May 90 15:35:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Duchowski <jd3a+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Word Gallery

Greetings !

	I ran into the following problem with World Gallery (Aug. 89
version) - it worked fine on my AT at work but when I brought it home
it hang up after going over to the second screen.  This is very strange
since both machines are identical, true blue ATs with 256 K EGAs in
them.  I was a bit concerned about my EGA so I ran AT Diagnostics on it
and it checked out fine.  Would anyone have any ideas what might be
happening ?  My four year old loves the program !

Thanks for any hints and/or comments,

John Duchowski

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 90       08:03:43 PDT
From: GOMBERG%UCSFVM.UCSF.EDU@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: RE: 1.44MB vs 1.2MB problem

I have an AT clone which at first had only one floppy, a 3.5".  When I
tried to set it up, I could select 1.44M 3.5" at A:, but it would
always revert to 1.2M at A:.  I "fixed" it by buying a 5.25" drive for
A:.  It appears many BIOSs will not accept a 3.5" disk at A:   I have a
Chips and Technologies chipset with an AMI BIOS, as I recall.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #100
-------