Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (07/16/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 16 Jul 90       Volume 90 : Issue 108

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
              All our AT Disk Controllers are going Bad
                   Appending Text to a Batch File
                          Hardware Signature
                     High-resolution Timer Board
            High Res display and adapter on DTIII contract
                        Looking for Unix on PC
                    Microsoft Editor Users wanted
                      TRAPPER-for TurboDebugger
                         Uploads to Simtel20
                         VGA Display Problem
                Wanted: PD Disk Optimizer for DOS 4.01
                     Wanted: screendump programs
                    Win 3.0, 8514/a w/8513 monitor
                            YE disk drive
           QGRAFX.ARC - EGA/VGA Graphics Library Uploaded

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessable on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-8pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 23:31:27 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: All our AT Disk Controllers are going Bad

We have 7 IBM AT (true-blue) computers.  They are in the neighborhood of
5 years old.  We have had to replace 5 of the disk controllers in the
past few months.  The typical symtpom is that the diskettes stop
operating properly.  Some of them only failed when writing in 360K mode,
but others failed differently.  We have also had to replace the disk
controllers on some old XT's and compatibles.

Is anyone else experiencing this phenonmenon?  -David-

Internet: david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu     ^      Mr. David J. Camp
uucp: ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david       < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
Washington University (314) 36-23635        v      660 South Euclid Avenue
"Depend on God, who has dominion."                 Saint Louis, MO 63110

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 90 11:06 EDT
From:  <ACSCS@SEMASSU.BITNET>
Subject: Appending text to a Batch File

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to write an install batch file to automatically install
some software I have written.  I have to add a couple of lines to an
exsisting AUTOEXEC.BAT without destroying/overwriting the original.
Are there any batch file commands that would allow me to append to the
AUTOEXEC file?

[Try the following:
ECHO (text to be appended) >>AUTOEXEC.BAT
gph]

Thanks,
Chris Sullivan
Senior Computing Assistant
Southeastern Mass. University
N.Dartmouth, MA  USA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 90 9:07:29 MDT
From: Lee Teng Kiat <kiat@hpsgk1.hp.com>
Subject: Hardware Signature

Hi,
        I am working on something that requires me to uniquely identify
each PC in an office. Is there any kind of hardware signature much like
our finger prints that distinguish machines of the same make and
configuration? I would really appreciate any kind of help Thanks.

        Oh yes, please don't mail me directly as I would be out of this
place in a couple of days. But I will still be reading this list from
elsewhere. So I would be thankful if any reply be mailed to the list.

        kiat.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 90 10:28:25 -0700
From: eric@cs2.cs.wsu.edu
Subject: High-resolution Timer Board

Hi!
	Does anyone know of a high-resolution (1 us or less) timer
board for Compaq-compatible machines?  We want to gather some
fine-grain timing statistics and need something like this.  Preferably,
this board would have one or more 32-bit timers running at least at
1MHz.

					Thanks, Eric Schneider

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 90 19:47:00 EDT
From: "MARC L. BARSANTI" <barsanti@ccf3.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: High Res display and adapter on DTIII contract

I was (I guess I still am) hoping that some readers of the digest may
know something about the "Large High Res Color Monitor 20" " SLIN
0003AG: P/N VDC 3-QSA and the "High Res VDT Board" SLIN 0003AH: P/N VC
3-CAD that are offered by UNISYS on the DTIII contract.

While the most obvious source of information would be Unisys, the only
representative that even new about them was out of "glossy" pamphlets
and only knew the resolution 1280x1024.

My main questions are about the board.  Does it come with any drivers?
Is it based on the Texas Instruments TMS 34010? If it is then I guess
any TIGA compliant drivers will work, right? It appears that the board
passes through any vga or lower signals since (I beleive) it comes
bundled with a seperate 16bit vga board.  If this is true then it
should work well with a two monitor system, I suppose.

Any information either answering these questions or how to find the
answers would be greatly appreciated.  I read the digest all the time
so you can reply to that or send info directly to me at:

				barsanti@ccf.nrl.navy.mil

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 08:50:22 EDT
From: R. Allen Wilkinson x3383 <urt@magi.ncsl.nist.gov>
Subject: Looking for Unix on PC

I have a 386 machine at home and I want to put UNIX on it.  I need to
be able to run DOS applications, like Wordperfect.  I would like a
complete development system for UNIX and X-windows development.  I am
using SUNOS at work (BSD 4.3) and would like a fairly compatible one
for at home.

Can anyone tell me which systems are available and which ones meet with
my wants?

Thanks in advance
R. Allen Wilkinson
urt@magi.ncsl.nist.gov

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 90 14:14:21 00000
From: P7MAI016%FRCIRP81.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Microsoft Editor Users wanted

Hello everyone,

I am seeking for Microsoft Editor users. As many programmers, I am
addict to my text editor and I want to share my experience with others.
I have a few questions to ask about M.

I am using the version 1.2 of M as shipped with MS Fortran. Until
recently I was writing C extensions for M with the old object modules
(as given with MS C 5.1 and M 1.0). I've discovered many similarities
between M 1.2 and PWB 1.0 (MS C 6.0). I have rebuild a new object
module from the new extensions mhelp.mxt and ws.mxt so now I can use
the new functions available: GetEditorObject, FindSwitch and so on but
some are not documented, some are not usable and some hangs the editor.

So if someone (maybe at Microsoft) can help me, it would be very nice.
Many thanks in advance,

regards
--Ollivier

Ollivier ROBERT
Student and freelance system programmer
Universite de Jussieu PARIS 7
PARIS, FRANCE
BITNET: p7mai016@frcirp81

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 90 21:15:37 CET
From: <MUELLERJ%DD0RUD81.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: TRAPPER-for TurboDebugger

Does somebody know where I can buy the hardware add on for the turbo
debugger named "TRAPPER", in Germany ?

muellerj@dd0rud81.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 15:57:33 GMT
From: Christopher Currie (IHR) <THRA004@MVS.ULCC.AC.UK>
Subject: Uploads to Simtel20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.txtutl>
ALTRN234.ZIP ALTERN mass global and alternate replacement utility,
             version 2.34. Older version was held at
             pdsoft@pdsoft.lancs.ac.uk. Newer version is easier
             to use in batch files. The program will replace up
             to 64 strings globally and up to 64 by alternate pairs,
             in up to 100 text files, in a single run.

pd1:<msdos.printer>
SMPSQZPR.ZIP Simple Squeeze Print for Epson-compatible dot-matrix
             printers. Prints 4 80-column blocks per 11",12", or A4
             page. Form feed at end of page. Will print up to 10
             files in one run.

Christopher

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 09:17:36 EDT
From: DRS%IBRDVM1.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: VGA Display Problem

I have 286 clone with a VGA card and Goldstar MultiSync monitor. The
display sometimes changes to graphics mode (i think), where characters
are displayed in some kind of a different mapping. Then I would go into
Personal Editor II or some other software and the problem may or may
not get resolved. This happens randomly and goes away randomly too. I
am not sure whether it is the VGA adapter or the monitor???

I will appreciate your suggestion or recommendation.

--Ann

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 01:54:49 EDT
From: Tony Papadimitriou <37KGLLQ%CMUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Wanted: Disk Optimizer

Hi All,

I am looking for a reliable public domain/shareware disk optimization
program that can run under MS-DOS 4.01 and be able to handle a single
40MB partition (using DOS's SHARE.EXE).   Thanks in advance for any
leads.

                                              -- Tony P.
Acknowledge-To: <37KGLLQ@CMUVM>

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 90 16:01:00 CDT
From: "Keyuan Jiang" <jiang@hhmivax>
Subject: Wanted: screendump programs

Does any one out there know of if there are any programs which can make
screendump for VGA or higher resolution display under Microsoft
Windows? (Especially for HP IGC10 graphics board) Any information
leading to software venders or public domain packages will be
gratefully appreciated.

Keyuan Jiang
Biomedical Engineering
Vanderbilt University
Nashville, TN 37232-2155

jiang@vuhhcl01 (bitnet) or
jiang@hhmivax.hh.vanderbilt.edu

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jun 90 04:56:07 GMT
From: claris!netcom!gda@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Gary Archer)
Subject: Win 3.0, 8514/a w/8513 monitor

 I just purchased windows 3.0 and am peeved.  I have an 8514/a board
with an 8513 display in my Mod 30.  For most systems this means that I
have a 640x480x256color display... for windows this means I either have
a VGA compatible display or it trys to drive the 8513 as if it was an
8514 or 8515 (ie i (ie it drives 1024x768 and completely screws up the
monitor.)  Does any one hav an update or patch that can fix this
problem?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 90 12:10 CDT
From: SMCDOWELL%crcvms.unl.edu@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: YE disk drive

Hello,

Recently a staff member came to our office with a 5 1/4 disk they
received from Japan.  The disk was formatted with a 1.8 MB "YE" disk
drive.

Is there any way to get the IBM-PC to read this disk?  If this isn't
possible does anybody have this type of drive with the capability to
transfer files to the DOS format?

I would appreciate any help you can give.  Please respond to me
directly since I am not a member of this group.

Thank You,
Scott McDowell (smcdowell@crcvms.unl.edu)
Computing Resource Center
University of Nebraska - Lincoln

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 90 13:22:25 CDT
From: John Baschab <JBASCHAB@UA1VM.ua.edu>
Subject: QGRAFZ.ARC - EGA/VGA Graphics Library Uploaded

 QGRAFX - EGA\VGA GRAPHICS LIBRARY FOR QUICKBASIC
 The QGRAFX library for QuickBasic has just been uploaded to QBASIC
directory.  The library of Assembly and QB routines adds speed and new
features to EGA/VGA graphics in QB.  Some of the features are: Text at
any X,Y (not just row, col) in Fore and Backgrnd colors Mix fonts on
single screen, Includes powerful Font Editor Faster GET/PUT subs, Save
memory by only saving reqd bit planes Image compression, Faster than
PUT and images up to 80% smaller Stroke fonts, Rotate text, All
modes(XOR, OR, AND), And more...

Nybble Software, PO 7213, Tuscaloosa, AL 35486  (JBASCHAB@UA1VM)

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #108
-------