Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (07/16/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 16 Jul 90       Volume 90 : Issue 110

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
            ANSI.SYS and keyboard configurations (2 msgs)
                                answer
                       HP laserjet III (3 msgs)
                       Phoenix BIOS help needed
                Problems with PS/2 80 and blinking 110
                 Problems with PS/2 model 80 (4 msgs)
                               PS/2 80
                         SHARING LASERJET III
                 using PC as I/O box for workstation

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Lending Library is available from: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details on file directories and
descriptions.)

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessable on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-8pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 90 09:32:00 EST
From: PsychNet Supervisor <B_KNATZ%HVRFORD.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: ANSI.SYS and keyboard configurations

Hi. My boss and I are looking for a way to reconfigure an AT keyboard
so that it pretends to be an XT keyboard (Ctrl,Alt,CapsLock in the
XT-fashion) without using up a lot of RAM. Borlands SuperKey can do it,
but it eats up memory. Is there either a simple and small program to do
this for us, or some way to alter ANSI.SYS so that it rearranges the
keyboard to our liking?

Thanks much

Brian Knatz                     B_KNATZ@HVRFORD.bitnet
Psychology Department
Haverford College
Haverford, PA  19041

1-215/896-1296

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 08:41:41 MES
From: crh001 <CRH001%DJUKFA11.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
From:         Juergen Kreuels <CRH001@DJUKFA11>
Subject:      HPLJ II

Gary
your problem with your lights going dim every 25 seconds was also seen
when we installed a CRAY YMP with a VME-Workstation which has a HPLJ II
attached to it. We could see on an Amperemeter that approximately every
20-40 seconds the load raised around 10-15 Amps. Finally we figured out
that it was really the HPLJ II which consumpts that much power during
heat up of it's toner area. So if you have a weak power line to your
building I can imagine that your lights are going dim during heat up of
the HPLJ II.

You are not the only person who has that problem.

Regards
Juergen Kreuels
CRAY Research at KFA Juelich
West Germany

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 20:56:39 TUR
From: "V70D::HUNTRESS" <huntress%v70d.decnet%NUSC-NPT.NAVY.MIL@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: HP laserjet III

Hi everybody!

I started with questions about the Okidata Microline 83 printer about 2
months ago, got disgusted (with the printer, not the responses :-)) and
vowed to buy an HP Laserjet III.  It finally arrived (I'm not a patient
person) and I am very pleased and very impressed!

I've got a few comments and questions for anyone who is interested:

1)  Incredibly easy to unpack, configure, install, etc.  Great manuals,
my hat's off to HP.

2)  The fonts and other built in stuff are beautiful. In their add,
they show the word "angle" rotated in increments of 22.5 degrees around
a circle implying that text can be rotated to an arbitrary angle.  I
have not found the escape sequences to do this.  All that I can find in
the book is 2 portrait and 2 landscape modes.  Anybody have success
with this feature?   The HPLJ III driver for Wordperfect 5.1 says that
the printer can do arbitrary rotation, but all that WP supports is the
P/L modes.

3)  My lights dim every 25 seconds when (presumably) the fuser heater
comes on.

4)  The jury is still out on the "Resolution Enhancement".  I printed
graphs using Borland Paradox in RE dark, medium, and light (I have not
tried OFF yet).  Absolutely no noticeable difference between these 3
settings.

So far I give it a big thumbs up!  I'll be doing some serious printing
in the near future, and I'll let you know how it stands up!

adios,

|  Gary Huntress			|
|  Naval Underwater Systems Center	|
|  Newport RI				|
|  (401) 841-1237			|
|  HUNTRESS@NUSC-NPT.NAVY.MIL		|

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 90 11:49:27 EDT
From: Tom Reid x4505 <reid%CTC.CONTEL.COM@VM1.NoDak.EDU>

I am about to spring for one but I have heard a rumor that the
postscript cartridge is flaky and very, very slow.  Any verification of
this?

Thanks,
Thomas F. Reid, Ph. D.                   (703)818-4505 (work)
Contel Technology Center                 (703)742-8720 (home)
15000 Conference Center Drive            Net: reid@ctc.contel.com
P.O. Box 10814
Chantilly, Va.  22021-3808

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jul 90 15:27:45 TUR
From: "V70D::HUNTRESS" <huntress%v70d.decnet%NUSC-NPT.NAVY.MIL@VM1.NoDak.EDU>

>I am about to spring for one but I have heard a rumor that the postscript
>cartridge is flaky and very, very slow.  Any verification of this?

How slow is slow?  I've seen pages take over an hour on a pc and 45
minutes on a microvax.

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 09:14:52 EDT
From: Michael Harpe <MEHARP01%ULKYVM.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: Phoenix BIOS help needed

I am building up a system from a noname motherboard that my brother
obtained in a complex compensation deal having to do with some
consulting in an accounting firm.  This motherboard is a 10 MHz board
with 5 16-bit slots and 3 eight bit slots.  The board has a Phoenix
BIOS in it (version 3.something).

The problem is that the lithium battery needed to be replaced and now
the setups are gone.  The system boots, checks RAM and drives, then
tells me that my configuration is gone and I should run SETUP.  Then it
invites me to press F1 to continue or F2 to run setup utility.  F1
performs a floppy boot as expected, F2 appears to do nothing.

The way I understand it, the F2 option should jump into some kind of
ROM BIOS setup utility. Is this correct?

The gotcha here is that I do not have the SETUP utility that came with
the box.  What can I do?  Is there something in the PD that I can use?

I did manage to do a low-level format of the hard drive with Disk
Manager, so I know the hard drive controller is talking.  The drive is
a Miniscribe 3425 (20 meg) and the controller is a Western Digital
WD1003V-MM2.

Any suggestions?

Michael Harpe, N4PLE                   | BITNET: MEHARP01@ULKYVM
106B Ormsby Building                   | VOICE:  502-588-7785
University of Louisville               | FAX:    502-588-5048
Louisville, KY  40292                  | AURAL:  "Mike!"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jul 90 13:53:19 +0200
From: "P. GATHY/ISTO 5229/52.32" <gathy%ISTO.UCL.AC.BE@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: Problems with PS/2 80 and blinking 110

Hello,

Thanks for all your responses. I had already tested the computer with
the reference diskette, but only once. Today, I ran the tests several
times, and I got the following message:

>> Pass=3 Slot=0
>> 2048 Kb memory 203
>> Replace system board memory in connector J16

   (Error 203 is a Memory address error.)

I opened the machine, I pulled the memory module out of connector J16,
and then I put it firmly in place. Then, I ran the memory test during
nearly one hour, without any error message. It seems to work fine.  As
we say in Belgium and France: "Pourvu que ca dure" ! And you will know
what to do if you ever see a blinking 110.

Thanks
Philippe Gathy

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 10:19:21 +0200
From: "P. GATHY/ISTO 5229/52.32" <gathy%ISTO.UCL.AC.BE@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: Problems with PS/2 model 80

We have a PS/2 model 80/071, with an 8514/A adapter and a Token Ring
adapter/A. All is going right, but sometimes, the screen is cleared,
a blinking '110' appears at the top left of the screen, and the machine
locks. It seems unpredictible. I never heard of a virus doing such a
thing. Nevertheless, I have tried to reformat the hard disk (low level
format), but without success. Last week, I could run Windows in 386
enhanced mode, but it locked with the blinking 110 in real mode.
Has anyone already encountered such a problem ?

Thanks in advance.

Philippe Gathy (gathy@isto.ucl.ac.be)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 90 10:41:37 DNT
From: Lars Madsen <DFMLLM%VM.UNI-C.DK@VM1.NoDak.EDU>

HI Gathy.
Try your setup and look at the configuration for possible conflicts
between the harddisk controller (ESDI ??) and the 8514 adaptor, or the
tokenring adaptor. Is is presumeably address conflict.

This is the best advise I can offer since we dont have a 8514 adaptor.
Hope this will help you.

Regards Lars Madsen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 90 15:55:34 +0200
From: "P. GATHY/ISTO 5229/52.32" <gathy%ISTO.UCL.AC.BE@VM1.NoDak.EDU>

Thanks to Lars Madsen for his response. But we have other PS/2's with
ESDI hard disks, 8514/A adapters and token ring adapters, which run
without problems. All these adapters are from IBM, and the setup
doesn't report any conflict.

One surprising thing is that this problem is intermittent: it
disappeared during 2 or 3 months, but now it happens more and more
frequently. When I run Windows 3.0 in real mode, I sometimes see this
blinking '110', and just below, a blinking '80000 (' ! What does that
mean ???

Thanks for your responses.

Philippe Gathy

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jul 90 10:33:54 DNT
From: Lars Madsen <DFMLLM%VM.UNI-C.DK@VM1.NoDak.EDU>

Hi again Gathy.
If the other ps/2 are working, then you are right that it cab't be the
setup.

Then are only two things I can advise you. The thing is the obvious
thing namely to run a "system check" from the diagnostic disk. ofcause
you have allready done that, there is a little hint here if you press
Ctrl-a instead of enter when you chose the system check you will have
the oportunity to select the indivdual checks.

Apart from that the only thing would be to inter change some of the
cards mounted in the faulty PS/2 with card from the working PS/2's.
Sorry I couldn't help any better that these obvius things.

sincerely yours
Lars Madsen

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 90 01:30:44 00000
From: P7MAI016%FRCIRP81.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU
Subject: PS/2 80

Hello Philippe,

As you may know, the BIOS can sometimes report a problem with a number.
According to my manual, message '110' may be concern your system board
like 102 means a faultly timer chip. I don't know what can be exactly
message '110' but you can look forward in that way; Hope that helps,
Ollivier

Ollivier ROBERT
Freelance System Programmer
Universite de Jussieu PARIS 7
PARIS, FRANCE
BITNET: p7mai016@frcirp81

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 90 14:36:00 N
From: THEO BEEKMAN <EFLIBROA%HMARL5.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: SHARING LASERJET III

HI,

In our office we have 2 AT's and a PC connected with a switchbox to a
Laserjet III printer. After having printed with Ventura publisher the
connection of that AT with the printer is not stopped.  After that it
is impossible to print from one of the other PC's.  How can we solve
this ?

P.S. We used to have manual switchbox but we were advised not to used
it because it could damage the printer.

Any help is appreciated !

Theo Beekman
EFLIBROA@HMARL5

------------------------------

Date: 08-JUL-1990 16:42:28.29
From: Markus F. Boie <203013%DHHDKRZ5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: using PC as I/O box for workstation

I would like to connect an IBM-AT (286 or 386 type) MS/DOS box via
ethernet to a Unix workstation and use its resources (as serial and
parallel ports, disks, boards and color display maybe) from the
workstation.

Does any software exist that does soemthing like this? I think it would
have to be kind of a deamon handling all (NFS, RQS, TELNET and reverse
TELNET, whatever) requests, as DOS doesn't support multitasking.
Running Unix on the PC is not the solution i'm looking for as it would
require a new disk drive and any Unix license which is both too
expensive.

I would at least like to get my hands on the serial and paralle ports
of the DOS box. So, if you know software doing just this please tell
me!

thanx in advance,
Markus F. Boie

Office:
Climate Computing Center (DKRZ)
Bundesstrasse 55
D-2000/13 Hamburg
West-Germany                                         Private:
Phone: (+49) 40 / 41173.288                          Heidberg 24
FAX: (+49) 40 / 41173.270                            D-2000/60 Hamburg
Bitnet: MBoie@dhhdkrz5.bitnet                        West-Germany
Internet: k203013@klima.dkrz-hamburg.de              Phone: (+49) 40 / 270 51 70

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #110
-------