Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (07/26/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 26 Jul 90       Volume 90 : Issue 120

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                      Sending E-Mail to Compuserv
                         Failing floppy drives
                           Hardware Signature
                        IBM OS/2 v1.2 on Clones

Today's Queries:
                         Encrypted Script file
                       token ring, 3COM, netbios
                      Mailing list program wanted

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Simtel20 Archives discussed are available from:
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details
on file directories and descriptions.)  Problems with files obtained
from the Archives should be addressed to:
<ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessable on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-8pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 12:35:50 CDT
From: "Mark Moody" <CCMARKM@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU>
Subject: Compuserv Mail

It is possible to send mail to and from compuserve and BITNET and
internet.

the compuserve address takes the form:

       xxxxx.xxxx@compuserve.com
  or   xxxxx.xxxx%compuserve.com@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu

the second form is the more explicit form for incomplete mailers (like
ours)

an example: 70671.325%compuserve.com@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu

this is my compuserve address, if you really want to try this you can
send me mail.

Mark Moody

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 17:11:01 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: Failing floppy drives (fwd)

>Hello David,
>
>I have experienced the same problem on our AT clone (~6 yrs. old).
>The controller card is a Western Digital and the weird thing is
>that the hard drive works fine.

>When we try to format or read either a 5.25" or a 3.5" floppy, it returns
>an error like:"stack overflow" or "block 0 bad" or something unusual
>like that. I even tried putting in a floppy only controller, but it
>wouldn't work. So now I think it's the motherboard, but I'm not exactly
>sure. Do you know of any utilities or a diagnostic program that would
>point to where the possible problem is?

No, most diagnostic programs I know of only tell you that there is an
error, not what it is.  For that you really need an electronics
technician.  Your problem sounds like it is different than mine.
-David-

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 22:38:46 GMT
From: wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher)
Subject: Hardware Signature

>> From: Lee Teng Kiat <kiat@hpsgk1.hp.com>

>>         I am working on something that requires me to uniquely identify
>> each PC in an office. Is there any kind of hardware signature much like
>> our finger prints that distinguish machines of the same make and
>> configuration? I would really appreciate any kind of help Thanks.

Why not put a unique volume name oh each hard disk?  Or do you need
something secure?

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
............(305) 255-RTFM
...............pob 570-335
.................33257-0335

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 10:53:05 PDT
From: portal!cup.portal.com!dyoung@Sun.COM
Subject: IBM OS/2 v1.2 on Clones

> Date: 16 Jul 90 09:10:00 EDT
> From: "TCJ2::GALSTERM" <galsterm%tcj2.decnet@gw1.hanscom.af.mil>

> Has anyone had success with installing IBM OS/2 v1.2 Standard Edition
> on a Clone?  (386 25 MHz, 4 Meg Ram, 117 Meg ESDI (NEC)/Ultrastor 32K
> Cont, ATI 1024 VGA card, AMI Bios for 386, Ext. C&T CHipset.)  It seems
> to boot and run through the config.sys, but then fails to start the
> install or the Protected shell.  Any experimenters out there?

I've installed OS/2 on many clone systems, as have others. My
understanding is that there is a problem with the AMI BIOS that has
been rectified, and an upgrade for the BIOS is available.  I would
suggest that you contact the IBM PCUG BBS system at 1-404-835-6600
(1200-9600 Bps N-8-1) for more information. They have a conference set
aside for people who are running IBM OS/2 on non-IBM equipment, and I'm
sure you can find specific help for your setup.

David Young
dyoung@cup.portal.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 12:55:02 EDT
From: Paul andrews <DID1290@VM.NRC.CA>
Subject: Encrypted Script file

Hi,
I am running a script file in PCPLUS which is used for logging onto a
remote VM machine from a PC.  In addition to dialing, the script file
contains the user name and password.  Securitywise, this is fine
because the password is not echoed back to the screen, BUT.. lot of
other people will have access to the PC and could easily grab the
password since the script files are just text.  Is there  a way to
encrypt the script file.. yet still have it run under PCPLUS?.....

Paul Andrews                     DID1290@VM.NRC.CA (BITNET/NETNORTH)
Health and Welfare Canada
Bureau of Drug Research
Tunney's Pasture Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K2A OL2

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 24 Jul 90 14:38 CET
From:    "B. Lisovich x6003 B1151" <TPB@IAEA1.bitnet>
Subject: token ring, 3COM, netbios

Dear Networkers,

Does anybody know anything technical about the token ring card (IBM)?
I'm looking for a means to get at the hardware via an interrupt. Has
anybody written any LIMs? Our problem here at the International Atomic
Energy Agency, Vienna, is that there is very little available infor-
mation about 3COM's protocols (not just Netbios) and very little about
the token ring card itself so that we can't very easily write our own
network management utilities. The stuff supplied with 3+Share is not
the type of software a netowk manager dreams about. We have written
some programs using our own Netbios LIM but this does not get us down
far enough into the hardware.

Some time ago someone reported that it was impossible to get to the
physical root directory of a 3COM server drive. It is possible and
we do it all the time, but the folks at 3COM would be upset if we
let the world know how to do it, I think. If you have a legitimate
reason to know - i.e. you're a LAN manager or systems programmer -
drop me a line.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bogdan Lisovich
Department of Technical Co-operation
International Atomic Energy Agency
Wagramerstrasse 5, Vienna, Austria A-1400
BITNET/EARN: TPB@IAEA1

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 13:29:41 -0400
From: (Marshall D. Abrams) <abrams@smiley.mitre.org>

I am looking for recommendations concerning a program to maintain
mailing lists.  I have several lists that I would like to add to a
common database.  Each list should be identified with a key.  I want to
be able to specify which labels to print as logical functions of these
keys.  The most flexible system would allow any combination of AND, OR,
and NOT.

When entering the individual lists into the system, the most flexible
software would recognize near-matches as well as exact duplicates.  It
would ask me what to do about the near matches.  (In many cases, I
expect that the near matches would represent slightly different
addresses, or small differences in name such as the treatment of the
middle name.)

I would also like to be able to sort the printed labels by last name,
organization, and/or zip code.  I want to be able to specify 1-up or
multiple labels per line.

Any experience and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

- Marshall D. Abrams, phone: (703) 883-6938
   The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
   Mail Stop Z269, Mc Lean, VA   22102
   FAX: (703) 883-5639 [effective 7/10/90]

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #120
-------