Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (07/30/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 29 Jul 90       Volume 90 : Issue 122

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                  Converting TAR-Z files to DOS format
                             PC comparison
                       Images and 386(SX) Boards
                       REPLAY.EXE and Audio files
               Installing 3.5" Drive in Commodore PC-III
               Mail forwarding between disconnected nets
                      Parallel Port Read Requests
                         hp-grahpics emulation
                  Later Versions of PibTerm Available?
               RE: Info about Commodore PC 10-III wanted
                    .BGI drivers wanted for Turbo C

Today's Queries:
                     IBM AT's and 1.44 MB floppies
                     Image Analysis software wanted

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Simtel20 Archives discussed are available from:
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details
on file directories and descriptions.)  Problems with files obtained
from the Archives should be addressed to:
<ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessable on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-8pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 17:01:40 -0400
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil>
Subject: Converting TAR-Z files to DOS format

>I teach a compiler course and use a commercial version of LEX and YACC
>for the PC. I would very much like to examine the source code with the
>students and have downloaded both BERK-YACC.TAR-Z and BISON.TAR-Z.
>Unfortunately, I can't read the compressed TAR format and neither can our
>local SUN UNIX workstation.
>
>Is there a DOS program you know of that will do this?

I use TARREAD.EXE all the time to read and extract .tar listings once
downloaded from my Unix BSD 4.3 host.  I also use COMPRESS.EXE (with
the -d switch) to uncompress a TAR-Z (compressed) file in the first
place.  As to where they are in the outside world .. ugh .. can't
exactly recall.  I THINK maybe in SIMTEL20's pd1:<msdos.filutl> ..
there are several tar utilities there. Same with compress : maybe in
SIMTEL20's pd1:<msdos.arclbr>.  Just can't remember EXACTLY which
files.

But it's easily done.  Shouldn't be a BIG problem to find source for
your Sun workstations either .. there's public domain source for ALL
this stuff. Check around SIMTEL20's Unix archives.

Regards,
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 14:52:31 PDT
From: tcs!laura!bear@uunet.UU.NET (H.W. Neff)
Subject: PC comparison

In Info-IBMPC Digest of Sun, 22 Jul 90 (V90 #112), Richard Steinberger
(rls@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu) asked for comparisons and other
experiences when using a 386-25mhx machine for use in scientific
applications such as finite element methods, calculations of non-linear
dynamics problems, and other numerical computations.  HE also wanted to
know about Logix machines in general...

(IMHO) For computationally intensive items:
	1. pay for the speed.
	2. pay for the speed.
	3. PAY FOR THE SPEED!

If you don't, you'd better have lots to do while your computer is tied
in knots.  You can't make the compute time disappear, but you can
reduce it.  All it takes is money!

   I have used many machines, including some of the "faster" ones, for
computationally intensive work.  While I will admit that tying a 386
box up for 2 hours is much better than tying a pc up for a day and a
half, it is still frustrating.  And that is just stuff that will run on
a pc!

    I have tied up a 25 MHz 386 for 4-5 hours running stuff that
REQUIRES a 386.  With other things to do for the duration, I was still
unhappy about the length of time involved.  A 33MHz 386 would have
probably shaved an hour off this.  Better, but not enough that I should
be happy about it.  I realize that I'm talking about a steep part of
the price/performance curve and that "exempt time" is "free"
(especially in retrospective) to most organizations, but there is a
long term penalty in wasted time if you don't have sufficient compute
power. (I want my pocket CRAY!)

   Before you plunk your nickel(s) down, take a long hard stare at what
your performance requirements are and how the proposed machine will
address that.  There are some people who will be just fine with some
old 4.77 MHz XT.  If YOU can afford to tie your machine up for hours at
a stretch (not really that hard to do!) with some crunching task, then
great.  If not, well...

ttfn,
bear.
h.w.neff
bear@tcs.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 12:08:32 TUR
From: <LZZA01%GRTHEUN1.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: Images and 386(SX) Boards

Hallo everybody,
  Gary, thank you very much for your response. At this point, I don't
want to throw in $1500. I'd prefer to go with a (much) cheaper one,
and if it does a good job, i'll upgrade to something better. That
cheapie ($130) sounds very good as far as it concerns the price. I
cannot expect very much, or should I?

 I have a 12Mhz AT (Hyundai) with 1MB of RAM and a 50MB HD. As I am
running a BBS here (Greece), i need to upgrade my machine to a 386SX,
at least, with a couple of MB's of RAM. Have you heard of any good 386
(SX or not) motherboards around? Last week I read about a 286 16Mhz
motherboard for $139, so i figured that a 386SX shouldn't cost more
than $250.. (the 286 was with 512K). Any hints, please?

| Markellos Diorinos, SysOp                                               |
| Russian's On Line Underground BBS (+30 31) 300 331                      |
| Weekdays 5pm - 7am, Weekends 24hr                                       |
| BitNet : LZZA01@GRTHEUN1         FidoNet:2:410/2                        |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 06:34:06 PDT
From: Bob Hardy <hardy@lucid.com>
Subject: REPLAY.EXE and Audio files

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest, henk%spex.nl@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU asks:

>>I recently got a program from SIMTEL called REPLAY.EXE.  It came with 3
>>digital audio files as samples.  One was Robin Williams saying "good
>>morning Vietnam" and another was HAL 9000 saying "I'm sorry Dave, I'm
>>afraid I can't do that".  Does anyone know where I can get more files to
>>play with this program.  I've FTP'd some but can't find any.

...to which issal%nusvm.bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU replies:

     I do know for a fact that (*.au) sound files for the SparcStation
1+ can be converted into Type 2 format (selected by using the -F
switch).  Unfortunately, the sounds were sampled at 8kHz, while the
slowest playback rate on REPLAY.EXE is 16kHz, thereby making Dirty
Harry sound like a wimp.

>     I was wondering if is possible to contact the author of REPLAY.EXE
>and ask if it is possible to include an 8kHz playback option on the
>next release of REPLAY.EXE.  Alternatively, perhaps someone has a
>routine to convert Sun *.au files to playback at 16kHz.

The same author has ANOTHER program for playing back audio files, one
which does a better job on some files.  It is called REMAC.  You can
use audio files for Mac and Atari ST with these programs, so I should
think most others would work, given a reasonable approximation of the
sampling rate used when the file was made.

I found REMAC (as REMAC1.ZIP) and a number of audio files on
terminator.cc.umich.edu (35.1.33.8).  I hope this helps!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 08:58:06 MES
From: crh001 <CRH001%DJUKFA11.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: Installing 3.5" Drive in Commodore PC-III

Hello Networkers
A few days ago I posted some questions about installing a 3.5" floppy
into a Commodore PC10-III. I got an answer from the Netherlands (many
thanks for it Pim ) and I tried to do the install. What I had to
recognize was that the motor of the floppy started but reading or
writing wasn't possible. I tried several things and finally called a
distributor of Commodore in Germany and he told me that it is possible
to install a 3.5" 720kB Floppy into a PC10-III but not a 1.44MB drive.
I don't know what's the reason for this limitation ( BIOS or build in
Controller), so it might be possible to use a 1.44MB drive with a
different BIOS and a seperate Controller in a different PC. A Commodore
PC10-III or a PC20-III is definitely not capable of using a high
density drive.

There was another question on the list yesterday about a 1.44MB drive.
Take the above written report as a hint and call the distributor of
your PC first before purchasing a drive. Or try to find a PC-shop were
you can get a drive on a trial base.

Regards
Juergen Kreuels
CRAY Research Germany

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 16:52:50 PDT
From: Craig E. Ward <cew@venera.isi.edu>
Subject: Mail forwarding between disconnected nets

The nsfmail relay was canceled by NSF last March.  The IEEE compmail relay
will end soon also.  The IEEE never intended for their account to be a general
purpose gateway into Dialcom but they never complained either; however, it
should be understood that no general purpose relay to Dialcom is functioning
with the Commercial Mail Relay.  (NSF kept theirs around for that purpose.)

A summary of the existing CMR links is as follows:

compmail:	IEEE link COMPMAIL+ system on Dialcom.  (ETD 8/90)

cgnet:		A pay-as-you-go service (only) for CGNET customers on Dialcom.

usdamail:	A Dialcom link for users doing business with the USDA.

telemail:	A general link to GTE Telemail, now known as Sprintmail.

bellsouth:	A link to Bellsouth (Telemail-style software) for
             University of South Florida.

The Intermail link to MCI, mcimail, is still in operation; however, it
has been obsoleted by mcimail.com at NRI.

It's relatively easy to add other Dialcom or Telemail-style links, but
as things stand, the CMR may not last much beyond another year due to
lack of interest.

Information and instructions are available from:

		     Intermail-Request@Intermail.ISI.EDU

Craig E. Ward <cew@venera.isi.edu> 	Slogan:	"nemo me impune lacessit"
USPS:	USC/Information Sciences Institute
	4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 1100
	Marina del Rey, CA 90292

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jul 90 17:32:37 GMT
From: hjh@aeg.dsto.oz.au (H.J.Harvey-AEG)
Subject: Parallel Port Read Requests

David Kirschbaum <kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil> writes:

>We've had several requests/msgs about how to read/write the parallel port.

The early IBM Parallel Printer Adapter contained a link option which
allowed it to be converted to a parallel I/O board.  It was never (to
my knowledge) mentioned in the user or technical reference handbooks.
If you have that board, you will note three pads in a row, roughly in
the middle of the board.  Two of them have a trace connected on the
back (solder side), the other has no connection.  It is just a matter
of cutting the trace and alternatively wiring the middle pin to the
previously unused third pin.

Most of the earlier printer ports (i.e. those that used 7400 series TTL
logic) had a 74LS374 Data Output latch with pin 1 (OE*) grounded and a
74LS174 Control Signal latch with pin 15 (called 6Q or 5Q, take you
choice) unused.  It is a simple matter to cut the grounded OE* of the
'374 and connect it to 6Q of the '174.  This does the same job as the
IBM card option.

Then, to use the port for parallel I/O it is just a matter of toggling
the control port bit 5.  When low (default and as set when RESET) the
Data Port will be its usual output.  When high the data port will be an
input.  It's as easy as that.

NOTE: You have to write your own I/O driver for the Data and Control
ports.

       The glitch suppression capacitors on the Data Port will slow the
       maximum throughput rate, but at least 100 Kb/sec is possible
       over short cables.

I have made this mod on several machines with different Parallel
Printer boards and had no troubles in locating the signals and doing
the mod.

Howie

Howard Harvey
Aeronautical Research Laboratory
Defence Science and Technology Organisation
Salisbury, South Australia                    | Phone: +61 8 259 6322
               Note correct Email address ==> | Email: hjh@aeg.dsto.oz.au

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 16:00:24 pdt
From: Danny Low <dlow@hpspcoi.hp.com>
Subject: hp-grahpics emulation

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL extel@quagga.ru.ac.ZA asked about
hp-graphic emulator boards:

There are two commercially available HP graphics terminal emulators
that run under MSDOS. HP sells a product called Advance Link and Walker
Richer & Quinn sells a terminal emulator called Reflection.  WRQ is
located at

	Post Office Box 31876
	Seattle Washington USA  98103-1876
	Telex 311 743 WRQ UR

Reflection has the advantage of also emulating several DEC terminals as
well.

I do not know who is the HP representative in Namibia.

Danny Low.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 23:05:55 CDT
From: Phil Burns <pib@acns.nwu.edu>
Subject: PibTerm

Frank Starr (55srwlgs@sacemnet.af.mil) asks:

>        Does anyone know if there is a newer verson of PIBTERM than the
>version 4.1 with the date of March 1988 on the .exe file? Also, I need
>a site I can get it via anonymous FTP. SIMTEL20 has the March 1988
>version, but it may be a while before they can get anything newer,
>being in stasis due to funding cuts.

PibTerm v4.1.3 (spring, 1988) was the last "free" release of PibTerm.
The changes between v4.1 and v4.1.3 consisted of a few bug fixes.

PibTerm has been available for some time as a commercial program.  The
current release is version 5.0.  Version 5.1 is in testing and will be
available in a few weeks.  Version 5.0 (and now 5.1) of PibTerm
contains substantial enhancements over version 4.1.3.

You may obtain more information from the publishers of PibTerm:

     Broadview Communications Software, Inc.
     Basic Industrial Research Laboratory
     Northwestern University
     1801 Maple Avenue
     Evanston, IL. 60201

     Voice:  (708) 491 2880
     FAX  :  (708) 491 4486

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 09:54:00 CET
From: "B. Lisovich x6003 B1151" <TPB%IAEA1.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: RE: Info about Commodore PC 10-III wanted

Dear Jim,
It is possible, but the XT BIOS does not support that format. What
is needed is a new set of ROM chips. Whether they are obtainable for
the COMMODORE I don't know.

Regards,
Bogdan Lisovich
International Atomic Energy Agency
Wagramerstrasse 5, Vienna, Austria A-1400
BITNET: TPB@IAEA1

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 1990 08:38 EDT
From: Karl Brendel <CDCKAB%EMUVM1@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: .BGI drivers wanted for Turbo C

Julian Daley <jdaley%uxg.umds.lon.ac.uk@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU> asks

> Turbo C has a nice way of handling graphics for different sorts of
> displays.  What I want is a HPLASER.BGI file that I can load instead of
> EGAVGA.BGI and then get high resolution hard copy graphics on a HP
> LASERJET.

Fleming Software sells (royalty-free) .BGIs for LaserJets, Epson and
HPGL plotters. Contact

        Fleming Software
        Box 528
        Oakton, VA 22124 USA
        phone 703/591-6451

We've used their .BGIs and TPas interface with good success.

Karl Brendel
Centers for Disease Control
Epidemiology Program Office
Home of Epi Info

------------------------------
Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 08:13 CET
From: Ulf Emanuelson <VETUF%SEUDAC21@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: IBM AT's and 1.44 MB floppies

Hi,
I have a collegue that is trying to equip a number of 4-5 year old
IBM AT's with 3.5 inch floppy drives, but he can't get them to work
properly.  Hardware installation is OK, but he can't format HD diskettes
to 1.44 MB, only to 720 kB. The machines are running PC-DOS 3.30. He
says that there's apparently a limitation in the BIOS of these
machines.  Does anyone have a clue on how to get around this problem?
If he needs to get new bios chips, does someone have a recommendation
on what to get and where to get such?

Thanx much|

Ulf Emanuelson

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 09:11:16 EDT
From: "David L. Cairns" <CAIRNS@UPEI.CA>
Subject: Image Analysis software wanted

Greetings,
We have a researcher here who needs sofware which would allow him to do
create 'stick' models from scanned images and do on screen measurements
and motion analysis.  Does anyone have any pointers to software other
researchers doing similar things?

Thanks for any and all help,

-   David L. Cairns                       E-Mail: cairns@upei.ca            -
-   UPEI Computer Centre            Packet Radio: ve1hg@ve1aic.pe.can.na    -
-   Charlottetown, PEI CANADA    Voice: (902)566 0388  Fax: (902)566 0958   -

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #122
-------