Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (08/02/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Wed,  1 Aug 90       Volume 90 : Issue 124

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                          C++ and Windows 3.0
             PC Magazine Utilities Available from SIMTEL20
                       Turbo C++ and Windows SDK
                Re: Hard Drive Problems with PC/AT Clone
                             OS/2 on Clones
                       720K drives in old clones
                    Re: Mailing list program wanted

Today's Queries:
           Matrix Operations on Complex Number Matrices query
                          Need help with TSR's
                     Parser Generators for the PC?
                         Scheme implementation
                        wanted: PC term program
                 Info requested in a no-name SVGA Card

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Simtel20 Archives discussed are available from:
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details
on file directories and descriptions.)  Problems with files obtained
from the Archives should be addressed to:
<ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessable on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-8pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 90 19:31:40 TUR
From: HUNTRESS GARY B <huntress%NUSC-NPT.NAVY.MIL@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: C++ and Windows 3.0

Somebody recently asked if Borland C++ can compile windows 3.0 code (I
don't know who, I lost the reference).  I asked a friend who has C++
and the 3.0 developers kit, and he said that the Compiler works fine,
however it cant link the resulting object modules.

Have no fear!  Apparently the Assembler (TASM?) works fine, so what you
can do is use a compiler switch to produce assember code rather than
object code, and then run TASM.  I assume that this produces bulky or
otherwise unoptimized code, but it will supposedly work!

I'm also sure that Borland is correcting this problem.

I have just started using C++ for my run of the mill C coding and I'm
very impressed (as I am with all Borland products).

Good luck!
Gary Huntress
Naval Underwater Systems Center
Newport RI  (401) 841-1237
HUNTRESS@NUSC-NPT.NAVY.MIL

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 90 13:51 CDT
From: A10DAG1%NIU.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu
Subject: PC Magazine Utilities Available from SIMTEL20

In Info-IBM v90 n119, Volker Weber asks about getting PC Magazine
utilities without using pc-magnet. All of the various utils that PC
Magazine releases are available on Simtel20, in the PD2:<MSDOS2.PCMAG>
directory.

                       => David <=

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 90 13:51:15 CST
From: Bill Hayes <IANR012%UNLVM.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Turbo C++ and Windows SDK

Having Turbo C++ and not yet having my SDK update, I can't say for
sure.  But I don't think so.  Borland is due out with products for
Turbo Pascal and Turbo C++ for Windows development.  I'd say it would
be worth the wait

Bill Hayes

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 90 08:25:04 PDT
From: Bob Hardy <hardy@lucid.com>
Subject: Re: Hard Drive Problems with PC/AT Clone

Peter Giesbrecht <BUPETER@ccm.UManitoba.CA> says:

   Hello...we have an old PC XT model 286 with a problem...  when we power
   up the machine it starts up the hard drive ans does one quick access of
   the drive and puts the following message on the screen
   000000 FFFE 201...it does not access the floppy drive at all (so we can
   not run diagnostics)...does any one know what this message means and
   how we can fix this machine?

In Scott Mueller's "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" (QUE Corp.), on page
557 there is a table of error codes that may be generated during the
POST testing interval.  For 2xx errors, it says "Memory (RAM) errors".
I would interpret that to mean either bad RAM chips (or bad support
chips, as for RAM timing) or possibly LOOSE chips.  First I'd try
reseating all the socketted chips on the motherboard; then I'd consider
the possibility of bad RAM.  You're going to need more advanced
diagnostics, but it sounds like you won't be able to run them until the
RAM problem has been solved.  A trip to the repair shop might be the
easy way out.

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jul 90 11:53:00 EDT
From: "TCJ1::GALSTERM" <galsterm%tcj1.decnet@gw1.hanscom.af.mil>
Subject: OS/2 on Clones

I recently posted for help with loading OS/2 SE 1.2 on clones and have
received help (Thanks to Cy, Charlie, and David, and the IBM PCUG BBS)
which has resolved the problem.  Some places for others to look for
help with OS/2 problems:

   IBM PCUG BBS - 1-404-835-6600 FREE!  GREAT! (1200-9600 bps, 8n1)
   OS/2 MAG BBS - 1-805-684-0589 Didn't try this one.
   Find someone else with OS/2 for help if you can.

It turned out that the problem was with the KEYBOARD!  Don't laugh!  It
was.  Not with my cached ESDI Hard disk controller.  Not with the ATI
SVGA card.  The the cheap-o clone with generic parts; etc.  I tried a
True Blue IBM AT keyboard, and it worked like a charm.  Mine is a BTC,
and the IBM BBS has a message from someone else who got there before I
did who says his chicony didn't work either.  He mentions a couple
other brands, but I got confused from his wording as to whether they
work or don't work.  So I won't say anything.

MEG
'Greatly Relieved'
Matthew E. Galster
                                             MaBell (617) 377-7362
GALSTERM%TCJ2.DECNET@V3.HANSCOM.AF.MIL       AV 478-7362
System Manager, TCJ Microvax Cluster, HQ ESD/TC, Hanscom AFB, MA 01731

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 90 15:55:22 EDT
From: Ronnie Judd <RNJUDD%SUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: 720K drives in old clones

Info-IBMPC Digest V90, #119

> I've got some questions for the hardware freaks on this list.  It's
> about the Commodore PC 10-III. A friend of me wants to install a 3.5
> inch 720kB diskette into his PC...

If you are using DOS 3.3 or newer the easiest way is to use a device
driver to handle the drive.  Just hook it up like any other and modify
your CONFIG.SYS to include the line

DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /D:n /F:2

where n is the drive you wish to be the 720K.  If you have a 2 drive
system the 720K format will be accessed as the third drive (C:)

DRIVER.SYS is included with DOS 3.3.  It is also included with DOS 3.2
and some earlier versions but the drive handling capabilities just are
not threre.  I have used this method on clones and true blues and it
works just fine.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Ronnie Judd                   <RNJUDD@SUVM.BITNET>
Civil/Environmental Eng.
Syracuse University

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 90 16:12:44 EDT
From: Ronnie Judd <RNJUDD%SUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>

> I am looking for recommendations concerning a program to maintain
> mailing lists.  I have several lists that I would like to add to
> common database.  Each list should be identified with a key.

I like File Express real well for mailing lists.  It will do much more
than just this but it has all the kinds of sorts that you are looking
for.  As far as sorting on a key this would be easy if you used a
seperate field for it and then set up conditional sorts to look at that
field.  File Express is Shareware stuff and can be found on may
bulletin boards (I am not sure if it is in SIMTEL as I have not had a
chance to get the directory yet, too new here to have figured it all
out).

Another great feature of File Express is that it can print multiple
labels on one or any number of records (great for return address
labels) and can be configured to print multiple labels across one line.

I don't know about the near match stuff, but two out of three is not
bad and I like this program a great deal.  Give it a try

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 90 22:48 PDT
From: CARL FUSSELL <CARL%SCU.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Matrix Operations on Complex Number Matrices query

A friend of mine here at the University is looking for some software
that can perform standard matrix operations on matrices whose elements
are complex numbers.   It probably needs to be some sort of pub domain
or shareware since he would like source code.  Has anyone ever run
accross something like this?  Are there BBS's that might have math
libraries available?

Thanx for any help?

Carl Fussell
Santa Clara Univ.
CARL@SCU.BITNET

ps.  The source language is not critical...  he is familiar with
     a variety of languages.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 90 14:56:02 PDT
From: "DAVE CRUZ" <dcruz%fm1.intel.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Need help with TSR's

do you have any terminate-stay-resident (TSR) programs?  I am looking
for code to write a TSR for our ham club packet BBS that will "live" in
the background and periodically check the serial port and a status
register, and reset the port and register if necessary.  The BBS
software does not properly reset the port if a user hangs up the phone
rather than exit with the "bye" command, and once the port is hung up,
the BBS needs to be reset.  I'd like to write a small TSR in C that
would wake up now and then, check the port, and reset it if necessary.
I would appreciate any C or assembly code that gives an example of
implementing a TSR, especially one that responds to system clock
interrupts.

Thanks & take care to all,
Dave Cruz
internet address:  DCRUZ@FM1.INTEL.COM

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 90 13:11:40 -0700
From: kipps@etoile.ICS.UCI.EDU
Subject: Parser Generators for the PC?

Does anyone know what sort of parser generators (e.g., YACC) are
available for the IBM PC and the Mac?  And by whom?  Also, what
languages do they generate into (e.g., YACC generates C-coded parsers)?

-Jim

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jul 90 22:19 EDT
From: (Jun Guo) <JQG9462@ACF6.NYU.EDU>
Subject: Scheme implementation

     Hi. Could anybody tell me where can I get a good Scheme compiler
or interpreter for PC?

     Many thanks in advance.

jqg9462@acf6.nyu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 90 17:59:46 -0500
From: Phil Howard KA9WGN <phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: wanted: PC term program

I am looking for a PUBLIC DOMAIN terminal emulation program for a
PC/clone which has SOURCE CODE in C and/or assembler language
available.

It should be a small and simple terminal program, not a large and
complex one such as Kermit.  I already have Kermit.

Bells and whistles and features are what I do NOT want in a terminal
emulation program.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 90 18:40:34 EDT
From: THOGER%NORUNIT.BITNET@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
Subject: a no-name SVGA card..

My computer came with a SVGA-card installed, but with docs describing
an EGA card..

It's been working like a charm for a year now, but with the arrival of
Windows 3.0 i've become interested in using some of those SVGA
capabilities.

So far I've been able to (thanks to FRACTINT) to get into 800x600x16,
360x480x256 plus a few others, but I'd like to use 640x400x256, and
perhaps, (with a RAM upgrade) 640x480x256 and 800x600x256...

Can anyone offer some information on a SVGA card as follows :

It appears to be based on a Tseng Labs chipset, BIOS copyright 1988.
256k on-board, expandable to 512k using 64x*4 chips (i.e. : 8 20-pin
chips to make 256k) An analog 15-pin port, a TTL 9-pin port. (the
15-pin is the small variety) 4 dip switches, all off gives SVGA, most
other settings give true-blue VGA from the analog port. Passes all but
one of PC magazine's register compatibility tests.  [Which one DOESN'T
it pass?  gph]  Two jumpers marked (surprise|) JP1 and JP2 in the upper
corner, near the bracket.  A standard VGA feature connector on the
upper edge.

It does not have a manufacturers name printed anywhere.. (Apart from
Tseng on the main chip)

I've heard that Orchid and Willow use the Tseng chipset, but I presume
that if it was from one of them, they would have printed their name
somewhere on it.

If this sounds like anything you've seen, I'd appreciate some info
about manufacturer, exact specifications, some quotations from the Tech
Ref, etc...

 Thank you |

  -Terje

thoger\solan16.solan.unit.no