Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (08/05/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun,  5 Aug 90       Volume 90 : Issue 127

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                  Accessing Compuserve through Telnet
                         problem with hard disk
                          Windows v3.0 Warning

Today's Queries:
                  Information on Benchmarks Requested
                      Hard disk for PS/2-50 wanted
                             Printer Pinout
                 Set environment variable from Pascal ?
                           Tape Drive Problem
                    Upgrading MSDOS from 3.0 to 3.3
         Wanted: terminal emulation package with color graphics

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Simtel20 Archives discussed are available from:
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details
on file directories and descriptions.)  Problems with files obtained
from the Archives should be addressed to:
<ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessible on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-8pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date:         Wed, 01 Aug 90 14:37:54 +0300
From:         NYELAZAR@WEIZMANN
Subject: Accessing Compuserve through Telnet

      Does someone know the Internet address for CompuServe?  I want to
try and connect using the Telnet TCP.

     Ram Elazary
     Computer Centre
     Weizmann institute
     Rehovot, ISRAEL

[Regretably, as far as I know, Compuserve cannot be reached via the
Internet.  Compuserve is reached via X.25 protocols. the X.25 address
is 03132.  This can be expensive though.

CompuServe does not have a publicly-accessible UNIX or VMS mini or
mainframe at this time.  CompuServe and the Internet can easily
exchange mail, but CompuServe users do not have access to newsgroups,
notes, or ftp services.  If you want to download files from CompuServe,
you need to be a subscriber.

Ohio State acts as the Compuserve nameserver -- anything headed for the
domain CompuServe.com goes to cis.ohio-state.edu, and  from there is
transferred over.   There is an electronic mail ONLY gateway, with no
facilities at the present time for FTP, annonymous or otherwise.  With
a valid CompuServe ID and Password, of course, you can login to the
Compuserve service and upload/download files, but there is no way to
transfer files over the Internet.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 90 13:35:00 pdt
From: Danny Low <dlow@hpspcoi.hp.com>
Subject: problem with hard disk

From KUMAR@ENTO.TAMU.EDU we got:
>... Then I tried partitioning it with FDISK.  But no matter how I
>try to partition it, the partition is always 20M and 11M. ...
>        I have MS-DOS 3.1 on my computer and both the hard disks I have are
>of MFM type.

MS-DOS 3.1 does not support disk partitions greater than 32MB. That is
the problem. Upgrading to 4.01 should solve this problem.

			   Danny Low
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  1 Aug 90 09:40:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Brian E. Gallew" <bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Windows v3.0 Warning

I realize that there are a still a large number of bugs in Windows 3.0,
but I don't think that the incompatibilities are quite as comprehensive
as given in you extract.  Windows has been running on a Hauppage 386
with a 40MG hard drive partitioned with Disk Manager with no problems
at all.

Of course, it may be because No partitions are larger than 32MB, but I
didn't see anything referencing partition size in your extract.

------------------------------
Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Wed,  1 AUG 90 15:51:28 GMT
From: ALLEN%BIO-MEDICAL-PHYSICS.ABERDEEN.AC.UK@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
Subject: Information on Benchmarks Requested

Many PC manufacturers quote performance in terms of Landmark.  Can
anyone tell me how this is defined?  Any pointers to the literature on
this and also the Specmark definition?

Thankyou.

Dr Alastair Allen
University of Aberdeen
allen@biomed.abdn.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: 1 Aug 90 09:17:03 EDT (Wed)
From: johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine)
Subject: Hard disk for PS/2-50 wanted

The hard disk drive in my IBM PS/2 has developed so many bad spots that
it's completely unusable, and the low-level formatter on the reference
disk won't touch it.

All of the disks that I've seen for PS/2s are extremely overpriced, in
the vicinity of $1000 for a 40MB disk.  Can I buy a regular 3.5" hard
disk and move the peculiar PS/2 mounting hardware on to it?

A 20MB disk would be fine, all the real data I use on that machine
lives on a network.

Thanks,
Regards,
John Levine

Internet: johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
Usenet: {spdcc|ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Aug 90 17:38:44 EDT
From: "Marshall Albert Bryan" <MARSHALL@JHUHYG.SPH.JHU.EDU>
Subject: Printer Pinout.

Help!  This one's a grusome one...

We have an old LA50 and want to use it as a serial printer for an
IBMPC.

Does someone know a working pinout for such a serial cable?  It is not
really like the one I know for the HP Laserjet Series II.  I think it
crosses pin 13 with some more "normal" pins.

Any help would be appreciated.
                                                       -Marshall

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 90 10:58:21 EDT
From: Jean-Pierre Paradis <PARADISJ%LAVALVM1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Set environment variable from Pascal ?

I just download the great program "SETENV" made by John Wolchak that
allow me to set any environment variable.

My problem is that I'm a Trubo Pascal programers who knows very few
things about assembly language.

Can I call the SETENV routine from Pascal ?

Paradis

ParadisJ@LavalVM1
Analyste
Universit: Laval

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Aug 90 17:15:14 CET
From: OVE HAGSET <SIV87003%NOBIVM@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Tape Drive Problem

I also have an AST Premium/286.  In the Reference manual at page A-27,
that deals with "Installing a Third Floppy Device", it stated that
the third floppy device can be an EzTape backup system, a 360-KB floppy
drive, or a 720-KB floppy drive.

This leads me to the question, is your tape drive a "EzTape" drive?  I
don't know much about tape drives, but I know there is several
"standards".

As you say, the AST's BIOS can handle two floppy devices.  If the third
floppy connector is to be used, the EXtended DiSK BIOs (EXDSKBIO.DRV)
driver has to be installed in the config.sys.  The Reference manual
give this setup for AST's EzTape or a 360-KB drive:

  DEVICE=C:\EXDSKBIO.DRV
  DEVICE=C:\DRIVER.SYS /D:2 /F:0

You might want to consult the DOS manual at pages 8-8 to 8-10 AND the
NCR drive-documentation for the correct DRIVER.SYS switches.

Some time ago I tried to install a Sony 720-KB drive in my system
without success.  I finally gave up and swapped it for a 1.44-MB Teac
drive.  The Teac drive installed fine, and works happily with the
CopyIIPC Option Board that is also installed.  The Teac drive is my
B: drive and is connected to the primary floppy adapter.

When I tried to install the Sony drive, I tried to install it both on
the primary adapter, and the third floppy connector.  What caused the
failure between the AST and the Sony drive, I don't know.  The AST
distributor in here in Norway was very helpful during my attempt to
install the Sony drive.  They even provided upgraded drivers for the
installation.  However it might indicate that the AST might be
sensitive to the type of drive that is connected to it.

I hope this has been of some help.

Usual disclaimer.

Ove  (SIV87003@NOBIVM)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Aug 90 07:46:22 EDT
From: <BAGLEY@VTVM2.CC.VT.EDU>
Subject: Upgrading MSDOS from 3.0 to 3.3

I need to upgrade an IBM PC that is running MSDOS 3.0 to run MSDOS 3.3.

I have tried to copy command.com and do a sys command to the hard
drive, but I keep getting errors on the hard drive.  The documentation
says I have to reformat the hard drive.  Is there a way to upgrade with
out having to reformat the hard drive?

------------------------------

Date: 1 Aug 90 16:48:07 GMT
From: unrvax!unssun.nevada.edu!jana@uunet.UU.NET (Jana Dunn)
Subject: Wanted: terminal emulation package with color graphics

We would like to be able to view CGM files in color on a PC compatible
that's acting as a terminal.

We have a CGM interpreter with drivers for a number of popular
terminals, and we can probably get more drivers if necessary.  However,
we don't have anything in the way of a terminal emulation package
except kermit, and its tek4010 emulation won't do the job.

What emulation packages are available?  Our preference would be a
public domain (or very inexpensive) package that emulates a popular
graphics terminal or two, but we're willing to consider almost
anything.

Alternatively, is there another way to view those files?  We'd like to
avoid downloading the files as they're large and we don't have many
microcomputers with ethernet connections.

We're on the Internet, so I can pick stuff up from anonymous ftp sites.

I will summarize.

Jana Dunn
jana@unssun.nevada.edu
jana@unsvax.bitnet

University of Nevada System Computing Services
University of Nevada at Reno

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #127
-------