Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (08/06/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon,  6 Aug 90       Volume 90 : Issue 128

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                  Borland Turbo C++ and MS Windows 3.0
                          E-Mail to Compuserve
                        use of listserv commands
                        wanted: PC term program
                        Re: Windows v3.0 Warning

Today's Queries:
                     Architectural software request
                              Chk4Lze bug
                                dbaseiii
                                PD MNP?
                             TeX on MS-DOS
                         Tseng-VGA-chip ET 4000

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Simtel20 Archives discussed are available from:
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details
on file directories and descriptions.)  Problems with files obtained
from the Archives should be addressed to:
<ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessible on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-8p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessible on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 07:36:43 EDT
From: gary@ctc.contel.com (Gary Bisaga  x4219)
Subject: Borland Turbo C++ and MS Windows 3.0

I have since talked to Borland people about this.  They said that
although "Borland fully intends to support Windows 3.0," their compiler
does not now support it, and they would give no indication about when
it would.  The problem is that they use their own linker, and you need
to use the windows linker as supplied in the Microsoft Software
Development Kit (SDK).  The SDK linker makes some mods to the object
code to make it run with windows (adds a few things).  In a way it
makes sense - the linker is responsible for making the specialized code
that windows requires, rather than the compiler.  This way you can use
the same object libraries whether you intend to use Windows or not,
rather than needing to recompile for each situation.

It does require, however, that the compiler use their linker, which
Turbo currently does not (and, if I read Borland correctly, will not
for quite some time).  However, good news!  Zortech, in their version
2.0 compiler, has changed to using the Microsoft linker rather than
supplying their own.  I used Zortech 1.2 C++ and liked it quite a bit
(except for an error message in one place where there was, as far as I
could tell, no error).  Therefore, I am running right out and buying
Zortech!

Sincerely,
Gary Bisaga (gary@ctc.contel.com)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 90 09:39:01 -0400
From: "Paul P. Dziomba" <dziomba@a1.benhur.upenn.edu>
Subject: E-Mail to Compuserve

	A subscriber asks about sending E-Mail to CompuServe.  I presently
deal with a vendor which is a subsidiary of the CompuServe corporation.
I communicate with numerous people at this company via internet E-Mail
all of the time.  All that you need is the person's CompuServe ID
(xxxxx.xxxx).  You then send to xxxxx.xxxx@CompuServe.Com.   If you
make a mistake in the ID, the CompuServe postmaster will send you back
an explanitory message.

		Paul P. Dziomba
		Dziomba@A1.BenHur.UPenn.Edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 90 08:48:26 EDT
From: "Kenneth C. Turner" <kturner@note.nsf.gov>
Subject: use of listserv commands

As I am sure you are well aware, it's pretty hard to ftp onto simtel20.
I would be very happy to use the LISTSERV commands as you recommend in
the header, but I don't know how.

Could you put a short guide in INFO-IBMPC on how to obtain a file from
the library using this set of commands?  I am sure that many people
would find it useful.

Thanks,

Ken Turner

[Done.  It has been sent to you.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 12:58:51 -0400
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil>
Subject: wanted: PC term program

>I am looking for a PUBLIC DOMAIN terminal emulation program for a
>PC/clone which has SOURCE CODE in C and/or assembler language
>available.
>
>It should be a small and simple terminal program, not a large and
>complex one such as Kermit.  I already have Kermit.

(You could've found all this out from the SIMTEL index.)

Misc. Turbo C code for asynch, terminals:

PD1:<MSDOS.TURBO-C>
  COM_INT.ARC
  IBMCOM-C.ARC
  TCASYNC.ARC
  TCOMM.ARC          (LiteComm async library for C!)
  TCOMM11.ARC        (ditto, but earlier)

Even better, let the current FOSSIL driver chase that asynch moving
target and you just concentrate on the terminal interface. Samples
included.

PD2:<MSDOS2.FOSSIL>
  X00V123H.ZIP       (Latest FOSSIL driver)

And more miscellaneous C code for terminals and asynch work:

PD2:<MSDOS2.MODEM>
  ASMTERM.ARC        Simple terminal in A86
  COMM.C             (real old)
  COMM.DOC
  CVT100.ARC         (VT100 terminal in TC)

Plus I'm uploading: (probably end up in PD2:<MSDOS2.MODEM>)

  TCOMM50.ZIP        LiteComm async lib for C (1989)
  PC-8250.ZIP        Collection of async routines (from uunet)

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 00:25:56 MDT
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Windows v3.0 Warning

I think that the point of David's note was to point out that MS knew
they had problems and really didn't make an effort to widely publicize
the problem.

As pointed out by MicroSoft though, there are only certain
configurations that put data at risk.  Then they go on to tell you how
to minimize the risk when using Disk Manager.

Anyway,...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

------------------------------
Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: 2 Aug 90 15:12:27 GMT
From: hholzsch@pyrhard2.pyramid.com (Henk Holzscherer)
Subject: Architectural software request

I'm looking for any recommendations on good architectural design
programs.  I am interested in programs that can handle support beams,
electrical wire routing, plumbing, etc (not just general overviews).
My first preference would be towards PD or shareware as I would imagine
commercial software of this type would be quite expensive.

Thanks for any help.

Henk Holzscherer
hholzsch@pyrhard2.pyramid.com
Work:  (415)335-8698

------------------------------

Date: 2 Aug 90 02:31 EDT
From: (Jun Guo) <JQG9462@ACF6.NYU.EDU>
Subject: Chk4Lze bug

   Chk4Lze V1.9 (7-4-90) by John Land checks whether EXE files were
LZEXEd or not. But if the EXE file is marked Read-Only, Chk4Lze will
report can't open file error. I don't think Chk4Lze should rewrite the
file. What makes it react on Read-Only attribute?

Oliver.
JQG9462@acf6.nyu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 9:59:01 CDT
From: "Norman R. Frech CPLS" <frech@mwraaa.army.mil>
Subject: dbaseiii

I am interested in getting a more informed opinion concerning the way
dbase writes files.  In particular, does dbaseiii buffer records on the
write side?  I am under the opinion if you running a prg which is
writing to a file and the power drops the dbf will go south for the
winter.  I am curious as to if this is a function of buffering records
to be written or if the problem is at a lower level.  Any info would be
appreciated.

Norm Frech <frech@mwraaa.army.mil>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 09:07:36 MDT
From: rtravsky@CORRAL.UWyo.Edu (Richard W Travsky)
Subject: PD MNP?

I'm interested in a public domain MNP communications program.  I checkd
the Simtel holdings and there doesn't appear to be much.  I noticed the
one that comes as source (mnp.arc) but I don't have a C compiler so I'm
out of luck there :(   (VT100 emulation would be nice too.)  Anyone
know of such a critter?

I'm mostly interested in the error correcting benefits,  less in the
enhanced baud rate that can be possible.  Do MNP software
implementations really work/help?  Is this a waste of time?  (I'm using
an Avatex 3-12-2400 baud external on a Zenith 159,  if that's a
factor.)

Thanks for any comments!

Richard Travsky                        Bitnet:   RTRAVSKY @ UWYO
Division of Information Technology     Internet: RTRAVSKY @ CORRAL.UWYO.EDU
University of Wyoming

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 08:41:42 edt
From: Dan_Zehme@DGC.MCEO.DG.COM
Subject: TeX on MS-DOS

I recently ran accross some TeX documents that I would like to process
Does anybody know of any TeX interpreters that will convert to standard
ascii, FX-80, and LaserJet+ output (they may be separate programs).

Thanks. dan_zehme@bsn.ceo.dg.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  2-AUG-1990 15:45 GMT + 1:00
From: "Thomas Greve, PI Bonn" <GREVE%DBNPIB5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Tseng-VGA-chip ET 4000

Hello Netfolx,

does anyone of you know how to program the features of the Tseng ET4000
chip? Or is there any source of information on Bitnet? Someone an idea?
(By the way: the ET4000 is "the" chip on all Tseng-VGA-Cards.)

		Thanx in advance,
					Thomas

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 08:54:40 EDT
From: Michael_Sanders@um.cc.umich.edu
Converting PostScript to FAX Format?

Does anyone know of software that would convert a PostScript file to
the format required for transmission by a FAX modem?  I know *nothing*
about the FAX bit stream format (don't really want to learn about it,
either!) but a program that came with a Dell laptop (which converts
text to FAX) made me think a PS->bitimage->FAX standard converter would
be very nice.  Any hints would be appreciated.  Since this is a strange
request, I'd be very pleased with information pointing to such software
running on any machine.

        Thanks,
        Michael Sanders, University of Michigan, Dept. of Physics
        sanders@mich.physics.lsa.umich.edu
        sanders@UMIPHYS.bitnet
        Michael_Sanders@um.cc.umich.edu

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #128