Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (08/10/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri, 10 Aug 90       Volume 90 : Issue 132

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
              another $.02 for PC <--> Mac file transfer.
                         spawn() call problems
                      Re: UNIX in 8088/80286/80386
                           Fortran Compilers
                             MIX C Compiler
                    Upgrading MSDOS from 3.0 to 3.3
                           K3 keyboard driver
                   Sample code Provided by MicroSoft
                         Strange Date behavior

Today's Queries:
                  Request for info on Power C compiler
                  Joystick Port and Mouse programming
                Problem Using Magellan with DesqView 386
            Request for info on BBS accessed via X.25 query
                     Why do people pirate software?

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

The Simtel20 Archives discussed are available from:
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details
on file directories and descriptions.)  Problems with files obtained
from the Archives should be addressed to:
<ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessible on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-8p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessible on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

Date: Wed, 8 Aug 90 01:18 CDT
From: Ed Murphy <MEMCR@UNO.BITNET>
Subject: another $.02 for PC <--> Mac file transfer.

As was mentioned, the Apple File Exchange should be your first shot at
getting what you want.  The manuals that came with the machine has
instructions on how you'd use the application.  One thing I wanted to
add though.  If you use the new installer that asks for disks to be
shuffled in and out, chances are the program is already on your HD, but
if not, then you need to get a hold of the Utility Disks.

Also, about transferring files. RTF (once again, as mentioned) is a
good way to transfer the files, but check your word processor on your
Macintosh first. Some of them can actually open the unadulerated PC
files (e.g. if you transferred a PC MS Word file to the Mac, the Mac MS
Word program could actually open the PC file with everything intact,
except that it'd look better. Er... Sorry. My Mac bias rears itself:)).

Luck to you.

Ed Murphy
Desktop Publishing Coordinator
Faculty Resource Center
University of New Orleans
New Orleans, LA

Bitnet: MEMCR @ UNO

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 06 Aug 90 22:01 CDT
From: A10DAG1%NIU.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu
Subject: spawn() call problems

Hi Randy,
   Well, two things you missed in your spawn() call are that the p_wait
constant should be P_WAIT, and the file name to spawn should be in
double quotes. ie: spawn(P_WAIT,"c:\foobar",args);

     Also note double backslashes \\  Actually, I guess that makes it
three... try these, and let me know if they don't work for you.

                    => David <=

[David's 'double slashes' above were represented as ------------^ ...
Unfortunately, my reference manuals haven't arrived yet.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Aug 90 09:02:00 PDT
From: Fan Jiao <fanj%remb6489.wpd@sgi.com>
Subject: Re: UNIX in 8088/80286/80386

There is another vendor offering ESIX which is considered functionally
compatible with SCO products, and much cheaper.  It even supports
Motif/X.

MW's UNIX also provides a development tool.  It is not clear that the
product supports 286 protect mode, or 386/8088 virtual machine.  It
comes with some printer and video drivers too.

As far as MINIX is concerned, it does support 286 extented memory by
allowing the loading of the root directory into the extended memory
after the OS is booted.  It does not support the 286 protect mode.
However, it comes with source code, a real programmer's UNIX.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Aug 90 12:46:47 PDT
From: Fan Jiao <fanj%remb6489.wpd@sgi.com>
Subject: Fortran Compilers

There are not many Fortran Compiler around for MS-DOS.  I remembered
there was an article for evaluation of several ones a couple years ago
in PC Tech.  Call MicroSoft.  Their F77 is very good; I used to use it.

BTW, the optimization part of the compiler is good; MicroSoft uses the
some techniques for its C, and Pascal compilers.  Why it is good?
because Aho and his group, authors of the "Dragon Book" designed the
code optimization for MicroSoft.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Aug 90 12:49:11 PDT
From: Fan Jiao <fanj%remb6489.wpd@sgi.com>
Subject: MIX C Compiler

I thought MIX C is for small memory model only for 19.95.  One would
get other memory model libs if one could pay more.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 06 Aug 90 21:14:37 EDT
From: micasa!lupic@uunet.UU.NET (Jack Lupic)
Subject: Upgrading MSDOS from 3.0 to 3.3

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") writes:

> Date: Wed, 01 Aug 90 07:46:22 EDT
> From: <BAGLEY@VTVM2.CC.VT.EDU>
>
> I need to upgrade an IBM PC that is running MSDOS 3.0 to run MSDOS 3.3.
>
> I have tried to copy command.com and do a sys command to the hard
> drive, but I keep getting errors on the hard drive.  Is there a way
> to upgrade with out having to reformat the hard drive?

Are you sure that it's MSDOS 3.0? Perhaps it's IBM DOS 3.0 you are
trying to upgrade to MSDOS 3.3.

IBM DOS 3.0 hidden system files are ibmbio.com and ibmdos.com and MSDOS
3.3 hidden files are io.sys and msdos.sys.You will not be able to do
SYS copy since the file names are not identical.

1.Unhide IBM DOS ibmbio.com and ibmdos.com and rename them to io.sys
and msdos.sys respectively.

2.Now do SYS C:\ from you main MSDOS 3.3 system disk, copy command.com
and reboot the machine.

Good Luck!
Jack Lupic

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Aug 90 01:37:14 MEZ
From: "Gisbert W.Selke" <UPP101%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: K3 keyboard driver

Hi y'all,especially to Keith who I'm glad to hear is still around!

Yes, it was me who sent K3 to Peter, who subsequently uploaded it.

No, I don't approve of the German magazine's policy; but I quote from
their letter to me:

"Programmes on networks are a matter more complicated. For one, we like
to have good control over our products. Otherwise, 'embadded' trying
to mimick a German pun - GWS| versions of our programmes may crop up,
whose errors are subsequently attributed to us. Also, it is
sufficiently bad that different versions of software are in circulation
at all, and information is sought from us via out hotline or by mail on
phenomena that we can't possibly explain, and which nevertheless cost
us quite some time. Then again, often enough, programme descriptions or
sources disappear due to carelessness; in the consequence, certain
programmes are not usable any longer (this applies to the keyboard
driver, e.g.) on all machines. Hence, we consider our policy sufficient
of making software available only via Cosmo-Net and on floppies."

(Apologies for the rough-and-ready translation.)

Now, even if I opine differently, I feel I have to honour their
explicit request. If their stuff gets in circulation somehow, I won't
particularly care, nor, naturally, go and hunt for a culprit. Just one
thing: I wouldn't like to have to play the culprit either - for the
sake of intellectual honesty, but also, to avoid getting in trouble. -
Apart from what I just said, I'm not taking all this overly serious, so
please, don't feel miffed, anyone.  (And, of course, I behave quite
differently as far as my own humble efforts at programming are
concerned. But that's quite a different matter.)

Keep up the good work!
\Gisbert

[The c't keyboard driver K3 will be withdrawn from the archives.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed Aug 08 08:29:44 1990
from: microsoft!bobal@beaver.cs.washington.edu
Subject: Sample code Provided by MicroSoft

Here's what the legal department has to say about samples provided in
Microsoft products.  Since the samples in question make no statements
one way or the other, it seems safe to take the most liberal view
(third sentence and on).

| Really depends. In some cases it has almost been like a runtime in
| which we are licensing their use, then there can be some restrictions
| (we retain copyright ownership). Most of the time with sample code we
| do not retain the copyright ownership in it, we do not make any
| warranties regarding the condition of the code or its appropriateness
| and the user can use it as his/her own risk. In that kind of situation
| they can do what they want with it so long as they recognize that we
| won't support it etc.

Bob Allison

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Aug 90 14:21:48 BST
From: R.D.Chafer@sysc.salford.ac.uk
Subject: Strange Date behavior

I would first like to thank all of you out there that have provided
some input on this one. From what I can glean the date will not be
advanced if: the first process that calls INT 1A after midnight is not
command.com. Calling the DOS time routine counts as calling INT 1A. A
simple routine that waits for a key press and then reads the time will
illustrate the problem if the keypress stradles midnight. Why cannot
MS-DOS update it's representation of the date when it detects the roll
over? I am using a Viglen III-20 with DOS 3.30

Robert Chafer

       FTN77 Group
       Computing Centre             Telephone: +44 61 745 5678
       University of Salford,       Fax:       +44 61 745 5666
       Salford M5 4WT
       United Kingdom

E-mail:
    JANET:   chafer @ uk.ac.salford.sysc
    ARPANET: chafer%uk.ac.salford.sysc @ nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
    BITNET:  chafer%uk.ac.salford.sysc @ uk.ac
        or   chafer%uk.ac.salford.sysc%ukacrl.bitnet @ cunyvm.cuny.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Aug 90 10:49:20 CDT
From: Rich Zellich <zellich@STL-07SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Info request for Power C compiler

I don't have the Mix Power C compiler (yet), but I *do* have their C
(Unix) Utilities package (fairly full-featured Bourne shell, grep, sed,
ls, lots of other utilities).  It, too, was $19.95 plus $5 S&H and I am
*very* happy with it. I intend to order the C compiler, libraries, and
the debugger one of these days (haven't yet because I just don't have
the spare time to do anything with them if I had them).

If you want a full-featured debugger to go with the C compiler, they
offer that, too, at - yep - $19.95 + $5 S&H.  The writeup on it sounds
really good, but I haven't tried it so all I have to go on is hype.  If
their other products are as good as the Utilities package, though, it
will be the best $25 (or $50, with debugger) you ever spent.

Cheers,
Rich Zellich <zellich@stl-07sima.army.mil>
             <zellich@st-louis-emh2.army.mil>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Aug 90 08:40:42 EDT
From: R. Allen Wilkinson x3383 <urt@magi.ncsl.nist.gov>
Subject: Joystick Port and Mouse programming

I need to know how to use the joystick port and mouse as input devices.
I am programming in Microsoft C 5.1 or 6.0 (either is ok).  I have a
standard joystick and a PC Mouse Serial Mouse in COM1.  I would like to
know how to use these two devices as input to a program.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Does anyone have a good
reference for these two things?  If I have to I can put up with the
information on how to do this at the assembly level but want to avoid
that if possible.

Thanks in advance
R. Allen Wilkinson
urt@magi.ncsl.nist.gov

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Aug 90 09:25 EST
From: <HALPORNJ%IUBACS.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Problem Using Magellan with DesqView 386

I seem to be having a problem using Magellan with DesqView 386.  When I
installed DesqView 386 on my 25MHz 386 I got errors in using the
"Explore" command of Magellan.  The message indicated an error in
accessing files and the index had to be rebuilt.  After I removed
DesqView (including unfragmenting and clearing the HD) I no longer had
any problems.

The Lotus technicians have not heard of this problem with DesqView 386
(Vers. 2.2) and couldn't suggest what the problem was.

Has anyone had this problem, and, if so, what solution(s) can s/he
suggest?

Jim Halporn
BITNET:  HALPORNJ@IUBACS
INTERNET:  HALPORNJ@UCS.INDIANA.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Aug 90 09:04:09
From: Paul Walsh <DNDA1900S@birmingham-poly.ac.uk>
Subject: BBS accessed via X.25 query

We are planning on setting up a "Bulletin Board" type system on an IBM
PS/2 Model 80 to be accessed via X.25.  We will be using an Eicon
HSI/MC card supplied by Eicon Technology of Montreal.  Unfortunately I
have been given the job of writing a program in C that will accept
incoming X.25 calls and then pass off control of the call to the BB
program.  I have not programmed in C before and the only experience of
X.25 programming I have is on a Prime mini.

The problem I have is how to spawn a "child" process for each incoming
call.  Initially the program was to be run under DOS 4.0 but from the
correspondence I have received from the academic community in the UK it
seems as if we will have to use OS/2 instead (which is another unknown
factor as far as I am concerned).  Is there anybody in the U.S. who has
experience of programming the Eicon HSI/MC card under OS/2 and/or who
has undertaken a similar project?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Please reply to me direct
at the address below cc INFO-IBMPC.

       Paul Walsh, Senior Programmer (Systems),  Computer Services,
       Birmingham Polytechnic, Franchise St., Perry Barr,
       BIRMINGHAM, B42 2SU, England.
E-Mail:  Paul.Walsh @ BIRMINGHAM-POLY.AC.UK

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Aug 90 22:52 MDT
From: FULLERR@BYUVAX.BITNET
Subject: Why do people pirate software?

I am wondering why people pirate software.  Other than the obvious cost
advantages of pirating software what are some possible justifications
for piracy?  Please reply by e-mail.

<fullerr@byuvax.bitnet>

[Summarize to the Digest if you please...]

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #132
-------