Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (08/18/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 18 Aug 90       Volume 90 : Issue 137

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                       How to detect a RAM disk?
                 Obtaining User's Name from Novell API
                   Re: Mix Software's Power C, et al
                             MIX C Compiler

Today's Queries:
                           BIOS pros and cons
                     comm toolkit 4 graphical intf
                      DOS 4.01 and INT's 25h & 26h
                    finite element analysis software
                            image processing
                       Large capacity sort query
                    Problems with DOS 3.3 on old AT
          Extended, Expanded and Reserved memory; Differences?
      Z-100 service at H/Z stores.   Supersport keyswitch needed.
                    FTP with WAFFLE V1.62 possible?
                 Accessing the WSMR-SIMTEL20 Archives

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 90 12:05:21 MEZ
From: RMCB%DLRVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: How to detect a RAM disk ?

RE: Info-IBMPC Digest Vol.90:Iss.126
    'What's behind a drive letter? -- Dr. Schleusener'

Your question can be separated into two parts:
  1) How to detect the hardware that lies behind a drive letter.
  2) How to get this info. in a BAT file.

Part 1:
======
My first reaction here is to use the media byte for a drive. This can
be obtained using DOS INT 21H, function 1CH. There is a brief
description of the media byte in Ray Duncan's book 'Advanced MS-DOS'
issued by Microsoft Press. The media byte can be examined using a drive
info. utility like Norton Utilities' Disk Information (DI.EXE), and
note that most of the info. that is displayed can be obtained using DOS
interrupts.

There is still the problem of RAM disks. I have tried creating virtual
disks with various configuration parameters using VDISK.SYS, and they
all return a value of 0FEH as the media byte. 0FEH = single-sided, 8
sectors/track, floppy. There must be a way to tell the difference
between such a floppy and a RAM drive, but I'm still working on that
one.

Part 2:
======
This is easy. If you are happy using the media byte then it is not
difficult to write a simple program that returns this value in the
ERRORLEVEL variable, and hence make it available for use in BAT files.
If you're not sure how to do this examine the source code of one of the
many BAT input utilities that are around, and modify it to accept a
drive letter as input and output the media byte.

Paul G.W. Hosken -- DLR-GSOC    (Tel: 08153-281286  BITNET:RMCB@DLRVM)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 90 10:10 CDT
From: A10DAG1%NIU.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu
Subject: Obtaining User's Name from Novell API

Mark, in Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #129 asked how to obtain the name of a
user through the Novell API:

Hi Mark,
   Getting the user's name from Novell's API isn't difficult at all
(though I've never tried it from TP, Microsoft's Quick C does just
fine.) You have to use the ReadPropertyValue (subfunction 0x3d) with a
property name of 'IDENTIFICATION' (all caps is important. This will
return in the reply buffer the name of the user. If you need any other
help, let us know...

                      => David <=

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 90 11:57:37 PDT
From: Bob Hardy <hardy@lucid.com>
Subject: Re: Mix Software's Power C, et al

In Info-IBMPC Digest Volume 90 : Issue 132 --

Fan Jiao writes:

   I thought MIX C is for small memory model only for 19.95.  One would
   get other memory model libs if one could pay more.

This may have been true of version 1.xx, but v2.0 is not limited to
small model.  The default is medium, but in Appendix A of the book, the
compile options for small, medium and large models are discussed.

...and Rich Zellich writes:

    If you want a full-featured debugger to go with the C compiler, they
    offer that, too, at - yep - $19.95 + $5 S&H.  The writeup on it sounds
    really good, but I haven't tried it so all I have to go on is hype.  If
    their other products are as good as the Utilities package, though, it
    will be the best $25 (or $50, with debugger) you ever spent.

I haven't got the Utilities package, but I DO have the 2.0 compiler,
the Power CTrace Debugger, and the library source files.  While I can't
claim to have mastered the debugger, it's quite nice and LOADED with
features.  The Power C compiler is my pick for Best Buy, though.  The
only strike against it I can think of is the same whenever you go from
one compiler to another: you may have some trouble converting files
meant for some other compiler, because of differences in the libraries.
But the book that comes with Power C is alone worth the price, and the
software itself is excellent, and I can recommend it without
reservation to anyone who hasn't already spent upwards of four times as
much on one of the "higher priced spreads".  I am in no way affiliated
with Mix Software, except as a happy customer.

BTW, the debugger would be of severely limited use to anyone who does
NOT have the Power C compiler.  Much of its strength has to do with the
way the compiler relates to it, generating files that only CTrace would
understand as an aid to the coordinating of object code and source
code.  I DON'T suggest buying the debugger if you don't have the
compiler, but they work very neatly together.  Power C was one of the
best bargains I ever got in commercial software; the debugger just made
it better.

Bob Hardy, Scientist;  Lucid, Inc., 707 Laurel St., Menlo Park CA  94025
Net: (ARPA): hardy@LUCID.COM                 (UUCP): ...!sun!edsel!hardy

"I did not say this.  I am not here." -- Dune

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 90 23:54:23 GMT
From: mailrus!sharkey!cfctech!iwblsys!yehudi@uunet.UU.NET (Ron Tribble)
Subject: MIX C Compiler

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.mil writes:

>I thought MIX C is for small memory model only for 19.95.  One would
>get other memory model libs if one could pay more.

It's the whole ball of wax!  Its just not as refined as certain of the
others.

I will be using this compiler to teach the language.

ron tribble

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 90 18:22:02 EDT
From: "A. M. (Tony) Cichan" <TONY%YORKVM2.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: BIOS pros and cons

I'm still looking to get a 386 machine.  I've given up on converting my
Zenith 241 AT via a Zenith manufactured upgrade because of expense and
some unhappy experiences with my Zenith BIOS as regards compatibility.

What I'm looking for is a 33MHZ 386DX machine to do AutoCAD primarily,
but everything else as well.  Speed is everything (except cheap).

I'm probably going to buy a complete system, though I haven't given up
on building it myself from boards using my Zenith AT case, power
supply, etc.  I'd build it if the savings are significant enough (it is
all out of my pocket) to offset the advantages of warranty and service
by a brand name.  I don't even think about IBM or Compaq, $$$$$ :-(

What puzzles me now is the plethora of BIOS suppliers: Phoenix, AWARD,
AMI, etc. etc.

Whether I build or buy I would appreciate some comments/thoughts about
the different BIOS available and what experiences you have had.

Any pointers on where to get good information on board/parts suppliers
would be appreciated too.  I especially envy those of you out on the
West coast who are so near the source.

I am also interested in any comments on how the various chip sets for
the boards handle extended/expanded memory.

And last but not least are math coprocessor chips.  What would you go
for Intel or other and why?

Thanks very much.  I will summarize to the list.

A. M. (Tony) Cichan   TONY@YORKVM2.BITNET  (416)736-5147
Department of Facilities Planning and Management
York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

------------------------------

Date: 14 Aug 90 13:20 GMT
From: "Emmanuel Disini" <D1749%applelink.apple.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: comm toolkit 4 graphical intf

I need to create a user-friendly graphical interface to dial a BBS.
The BBS is currently text-based, but can be modified to suit the
front-end's needs.  I'd like the front end to run on a plain-jane
vanilla PC.  All the interface needs to do is log-on, upload files,
download files, then log off. That's it! <although we may throw in a
few options later>. I just don't want to re-implement xmodem and
zmodem.  A source library would be fine, or some PD telecomm software
with powerful scripting capabilities is OK too.  Any suggestions?

Please cc: your mail to d1749@applelink.apple.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 90 13:46 PDT
From: DLEWIS%SCU.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: DOS 4.01 and INT's 25h & 26h

Does anyone know whether or not Microsoft MS/DOS 4.01 redefined the
INT 25 and INT 26 programmer's interface?  All the documentation I
have describes it as follows:

        INT 25,26 - DOS - ABSOLUTE DISK READ,WRITE

                AL = Drive number (0=A, 1=B, etc)
                DS:BX = Disk Transfer Address (buffer)
                CX = Number of sectors to write
                DX = First relative sector to write

        Return: CF = 1 if error
                AX = error information

        (Original flags must be popped from stack after call.)

However, this doesn't seem consistent with the fact that 4.01 no
longer has the 32MB restriction.  I.e., if you multiply it out:

        max disk size   = max sectors (DX) * sctr size
                           16
                        = 2   x 512 bytes = 32MB

Anyone know something I don't?

Thanks!

Dan Lewis
E-Mail: DLEWIS@SCU.BIT

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 90 15:24 EST
From: "JEFF CASEY / (617)253-0885" <CASEY@ALCVAX.PFC.MIT.EDU>
Subject: finite element analysis software

Does anybody have any experience with commercial or public domain
finite element analysis codes, either for PC/DOS systems, or
alternately, for SUN workstations?  Any opinions, reviews, or anecdotes
are welcome.

        Thanks in advance,     Jeff Casey
                           MIT Plasma Fusion Center
                (617)253-0885        casey@alcvax.pfc.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  14 Aug 90 12:28 +0200
From: Dvorah Art <DVORAH%HUJIAGRI.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: image processing

I'm looking for a setup to measure the distance between insects and
calculate the amount of time spent in motion by individual insects (a
group of ten, videotaped from above in an arena.) Intervals of
observation could be  from 0.3 -0.4 sec.  I have an AT with math
processor and a video camera, and would like recommendations for frame
grabbers and software for < $5000.

     Thank you,
     shalom@agri.huji.ac.il
     Shalom Appleboim

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 90 16:39:31 -0700
From: Ted Shapin <tshapin@orion.oac.uci.edu>
Subject: Large capacity sort query

I am looking for a sort program that will handle the sorting of a file
of 10,000 fixed length records of 600 bytes each.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 90 15:04 PDT
From: John Joseph <John-Joseph@l66a.ladc.bull.com>
Subject: Problems with DOS 3.3 on old AT

This situation is strange, but please bear with me.  A church where I
do some volunteer work received a used true-blue IBM AT as a donation.
It's got an AST RamPage card, Phoenix BIOS, a different (possibly 8MHz)
clock crystal, fairly modern hard/floppy controller, El Cheapo (but
modern) Hercules MDA/printer port card, original IBM monitor &
keyboard, 1.2Mb floppy.

The basic problem is that when I run MS-DOS 3.0 on this machine, I can
read and write a 1.2Mb disk fine, including making subdirectories.
When I try to boot MS-DOS 3.3, I can FORMAT and DISKCOPY entire 1.2Mb
diskettes, but cannot create files or directories!  (I can create them
on the same diskette using DOS 3.0, though).  The floppy controller has
been swapped out.  Disk diagnostics reveal nothing.

My only options seem to be the BIOS or the disk drive itself.  A
colleague has suggested I change the "head settle time" in DOS 3.3, but
had no constructive suggestions as to how to accomplish that.  If it is
the "head settle time", wouldn't I just be better off getting a newer
1.2Mb drive?  (That way I wouldn't have to worry about who would be
upgrading the software in the future.)  The altered clock crystal
doesn't seem to be a problem, because DOS 3.0 works just fine.

So, I'd like either some info on:

1) how exactly to change the "head settle time" in DOS 3.3

2) or someone's empirical observations re: 1.2Mb diskettes under DOS
3.0 vs 3.3

Thanks very much.  E-mail direct to me is okay.

Disclaimer: If I really knew what I was doing, I'd be responsible for it.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 90 17:29 EST
From: PsychNet Supervisor <B_KNATZ@ACC.HAVERFORD.EDU>
Subject: Extended, Expanded and Reserved memory; Differences?

Extended Memory?  Expanded Memory?  Reserved Memory?  What's the
difference?

We have 4 AT's hooked into a Novell file server with thin-net cabling
and Etherlink cards. Each AT claims to have a meg of RAM, 640K
conventional and 384K of "reserved" memory. After loading all the
Etherlink drivers, etc.  there is sometimes not enought RAM to run
memory-intensive programs, like MS-Word or BMDP Statistical software,
without flushing the DOS system and environment, and certainly not
enough memory to use TSR's at all effectively.

Both AST and NEC claim that the reserved memory cannot be touched (as
the name suggests) and yet we have succeeded in setting up a Virtual
Disk in the so-called reserved memory of the AST 386.

Only one of the AT's is a 386. We also have an AST 286 and two NEC
286's.

So my questions are:

(1) How can we get access to the reserved memory between 640K and
1032K?

[See discussion at the end of this message.  --gph]

(2) Is there a way to load *.SYS (like etherlink drivers) files into
upper memory, if not *.EXE's or TSR's?

[A DOS 'extender' may help with this.  --gph]

I'll appreciate any help in my upper memory education.

Thanks much,

Brian Knatz
Psychology Dept.
Haverford College
Haverford PA, 19041
1-215/896-1296

B_KNATZ@HVRFORD.bitnet

[Lets see if I have this correct:

    exPanded memory is used by PC/XTs and clones.  Usually addressed by
paging in accordance with the LIM (whatever version is the latest) EMS
specifications.  A useful way to remember this is "exPanded memory
needs Paging."

    exTended memory is used by a ATs or Clones ('286/'386/'...).  Can
be addressed by hardware built into the CPU chip using tables
constructed that point to actual memory used by the program.  Memory
accessed by the program at a particular location may or may not be at
that actual location.  HIMEM.SYS, supplied by Microsoft, provides a way
to access the first 64K of memory beyond the 1,024K mark.  VDISK.SYS
will use extended memory if told to do so by a switch on the DEVICE=
line in your CONFIG.SYS.

    Reserved Memory is memory set aside by the designers of the PC (IBM
in case you're wondering) for special system uses.  These include BIOS,
video RAM, drivers built in ROM, et al...  Although programs can be
written, and HAVE, to access unused memory between 640K (really
655,560) and 704K (really 721,096), DOS won't recognize any more than
640K.

    How to access this memory?  Allegedly, Zortech C has compiler
support for expanded memory, and the shareware CXL library (In
PD1:<MSDOS.C> on SIMTEL20) provide EMS handling for MSC and other
compilers.

    More details can be found by sending email to the mail server at
<raymond@math.berkeley.edu> containing no subject with the single line
"send memory" in the body of the message.  Books that describe the use
of expanded and extended memory are listed in the file "books" on this
email server.

--gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 90 11:15:35 -0400
From: Don Malpass <malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu>
Subject: Z-100 service at H/Z stores.   Supersport keyswitch needed.

Called a local Heath/Zenith retail store Friday to try and locate a
replacement keyswitch for my Supersport-286 ["sorry - we have the
entire keyboard, for a mere $182", so I swapped the bad keyswitch with
the pause/break one for now.  Anybody know where I can beg, borrow,
steal, or even 'BUY' a replacement keyswitch?] and happened to mention
my Z-100.  The service guy with whom I was talking said they had just
received some sort of bulletin from Heath to the effect that
Heath-Zenith stores were no longer going to support the Z-100.  This
doesn't thrill me, even though I've never had to take my box to the
store, it's been nice to know such was available.  Anybody else know
more about this?

And I'm serious about my need for a keyswitch.  The service guy said
it's the same one used by a series-184 box, whatever that is.  If I
find a source, I'll post it - and probably buy a couple of extra
keyswitches in case somebody else needs one.  [I just realized I did
not bring to work the keyboard/keyswitch manufacturer's name, but will
try to post it tomorrow, in case one of you knows anything about the
company.]

	Cheers,

Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@gandalf.LL.mit.edu]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 10:26:57 CDT
From: root@fquest.fidonet.org
Subject: FTP with WAFFLE V1.62 possible?

I currently am running waffle162 ( I think thats right) and was
wondering if there is a way to perform FTP's. Also, I'm wondering if
there's a way to perform list-server commands (or another add on for
waffle) that would allow my system to honor list-server commands?

Thanks

...!natinst!tqc!fquest!kevin

------------------------------

Date: 1 Aug 90
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject:  Accessing the WSMR-SIMTEL20 Archives

The Simtel20 Archives discussed are available from:
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details
on file directories and descriptions.)  Problems with files obtained
from the Archives should be addressed to:
<ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessible on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-10pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessible on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

    <raymond@math.berkeley.edu> operates a mail server that sends, by
return mail, a series of files to quite a few of the most frequently
asked questions on the net.  This server will also look up programs
in the SIMTEL20 index, the grape index, and the chyde index.  If you
send email to <raymond@math.berkeley.edu> with no subject and
containing the single line "help", you will receive instructions;
sending the message "directory" gives you an index of all the files
available on the server.

    One set of files you might be interested in is obtaining are FAQ
and FAQ.MORE.  These files contain answers to more frequently asked
questions.  Send the message "send faq" or "send faq.more" to obtain
them.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #137
-------