Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (08/19/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 19 Aug 90       Volume 90 : Issue 138

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                      Administrivia: Digest Header
                 Re: Microsoft C 5.1 and Spawn (2 msgs)
                   Re: Automatic toggling of Keyclick
                     Programming for a Mouse from C
                     Keyboards for the Handicapped
           Strange effects and Sounds when changing VGA modes
                    Re: Supersport keyswitch needed
                   C Random Number Generator Uploaded

Today's Queries:
                         Formatting 3.5" disks
                     Fujitsu RX-7100 laser printer
                              Memory Help
                           Terminal Emulator
              Who is the author of PD1:MSDOS.C>CRC-C.ARC?
                    Accessing the SIMTEL20 Archives

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 12:24:18 MDT
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Administrivia: Digest Header

I've received a number of requests to move this info into a separate
message in the Digest body itself.  (Perhaps undigestifiers aren't
being used or the header info wouldn't have to be read at all)

The posting as well as the -request address will be in each issue but
the full text of the information currently displayed will be posted in
an Admin message in the Digest once a month (generally around the
first).

If you don't like the format, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks
Editor, Info-IBMPC Digest

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 90 17:09:25 MDT
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Re: Microsoft C 5.1 and Spawn

From: Gary Bisaga <gary@ctc.contel.com>

| I haven't used this exact function, but I have used other functions
| under DOS where I made *EXACTLY* the same mistake, I would estimate,
| about ten times.  When I wanted to specify a full DOS pathname, I just
| did it, e.g.,
|
|         fopen("C:\ETC\FOO.TXT", "r")
|
| The problem here, of course, is that with DOS's brain-damaged use of
| '\' for directory separators, it screws up my C language string, and I
| should write
|
|         fopen("C:\\ETC\\FOO.TXT", "r")
|
| to escape the backslashes.  It's a pretty dumb mistake, but, as I said,
| I have made it a number of times.  Might it be your problem, too?

I contacted Mr Dave Weil, Group Program Mgr for System Languages at
Microsoft Corp. regarding the above note on spawn() posted by Gary
Bisaga <gary@ctc.contel.com> and received the following in return:

It is not required to use the '\' character in path names passed
directly to the DOS system calls.  Internally DOS allows both '\' and
'/' as separators.  It is only on the command line that '\' is required
as a path separator.  This is because '/' is used as an option
indicator by many DOS utilities.  Thus all C runtime functions which
take path names can have those path names specified either with a '\'
or a '/' as the path separator.  Of course, as noted below the drawback
to using '\' is that in a string constant this must be escaped with a
second backslash, eg. '\\'.  So the call below would be equally correct
if written as

	fopen("C:/ETC/FOO.TXT". "r");

or

	fopen("C:\\ETC\\FOO.TXT". "r");

The only exception to this rule is that when using the system()
function to run a program, if the argument to system contains a path
name, then that path name MUST use the '\' as a separator, since it is
seen by COMMAND.COM just as it would be if you typed it in at the C:>
prompt.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 1990 23:58:51 EDT
From: Joseph M Newcomer <newcomer@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU>

The usual reason a 'spawn' fails is that on the PC spawn executes the
program as a subroutine and both must share the same address space.
If your program is large and/or the one you are spawning is large,
you lose.

For this reason, many programs 'swap out' when doing a spawn.  One such
package is HoldEverything (tm) from South Mountain Software, 76 So,
Orange Ave., So. Orange NJ 07079 (201)762-6965.  We have used this in
one product and it wqas quite successful.  However, these programs
usually fail if you execute a TSR, or if you spawn a DOS shell and load
a TSR (including PRINT) as the TSR screws up the reload.

					joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 90 11:19:44 MET
From: HUISMAN@tudw03.tudelft.nl
Subject: Re: Automatic toggling of Keyclick

I did some hacking on this problem, and I suspect the keyclick on/off
feature to be handled in the keyboard itself, without communication
with the computer. Note that a but produces no clicks. However, if you
do obtain a solution, I would of course like to get a copy. We have
about 12 of these clickers in one classroom here, and would sure like
to turn the noise off by default.

Thanks,
                        Henk Huisman.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 90 12:59 CDT
From: A10DAG1%NIU.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu
Subject: Programming for a Mouse from C

In Info-IBMPC v.90 n. 132, R. Allen Wilkinson asked about using a mouse
with C programs. Check out PC Magazine's article on doing exactly that.
It was in V8No9 (I think...), written by Ray Duncan.  He not only
provides a very nice assembler driver for handling the mouse, but
explains the basics of how and why it works. There is also some
information in his book that goes a little deeper. All in all, it
wasn't difficult to do (I have used it with great success). Sorry I
can't tell you what issue to look up, I'm in the middle of a move, and
everything is packed.

                      => David <=

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 90 19:37 GMT
From: OVERDIJK%ECN.NL@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Keyboards for the Handicapped

Dear Tom,

You asked about buying a special keyboard ($1300!!) for a handicapped
professor.

If I were you, I first would check the file:
<MSDOS2.HANDICAP>1FINGER.ARC (or something like that) on SIMTEL-20 I
believe you can do all functions with one keystroke at a time with the
program, however I didn't check it.  This might be just what you need.

Succes and greetings,
                      Harrie Overdijk

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 90 08:36:03 CDT
From: Tony Phillips <S102066@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU>
Subject: Strange effects and Sounds when changing VGA modes

In Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #135, KIM, Young-Jae complained about strange
sounds coming from his NEC 3-D Multi-sync VGA monitor:

From: KIM YOUNG JAE <88272031@KRSNUCC1>

[Text deleted...]

>...the MONITOR makes a very weak (but audible) high pitched
>sound for a few seconds.  It's not from PC speaker.
>
>The other is that the screen splits or splashes for a bit between
>modes.  Although both occur only when changing modes, it makes me
>uncomfortable.

As you said later in your mail, the symptoms are normal.  They are most
likely produced by your video card.  I have a friend with an NEC
multi-sync, and he exhibits no problem, but he has a Paradise super VGA
card, and he only experiences the garbage bursts you describe.

In fact, I have a Commodore 128 with a normal CGA RGB monitor attached
to it. If I turn the monitor to 80 column mode (RGB mode) when the
computer hasn't started the 80 column output, I get a horrible screech
from the monitor.  Interestingly, it's not coming from the speaker or
anything normal.

From what I understand, it's actually transistors and timing chips we
are hearing.  Unless this noise bothers you a lot, there's really
nothing to be worried about.  Otherwise, you may want to look for
another VGA card.   These are only my opinions, though, so wait around
for other responses.

Tony Phillips
Computer Science Major
University of Missouri, Rolla

Reply Address
S102066 @ UMRVMA.UMR.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 90 15:51:33 -0400
From: Don Malpass <malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Supersport keyswitch needed

Here's most of yesterday's msg [edited slightly], along with the
promised name of the manufacturer of the keyboard.

> [Text deleted]... Anybody know where I can beg/borrow/steal/even_BUY a
>replacement keyswitch?] ....  The service guy said
>it's the same one used by a series-184 box, whatever that is.  If I
>find a source, I'll post it ...[Text deleted]

The markings on the keyboard indicate that it, and the individual
keyswitches, are made by ALPS, whoever they are.  I also wrote down
various markings (numbers), if anybody wants them.

	Cheers,

Don Malpass   [malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu],  [malpass@gandalf.LL.mit.edu]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 90 08:00 EDT
From: BUTLER%ITHACA.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: C Random Number Generator Uploaded

I have uploaded a C language random number generator, based on FORTRAN
code uploaded by David LaSalle:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.C>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
RANDOM-C.ZIP  B    4598  900529  C lang random number generator (one
                                 of the best)

                                Jim Butler
                                BUTLER@ITHACA.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 1990 23:45:58 EDT
From: Joseph M Newcomer <newcomer@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU>
Subject: Formatting 3.5" disks

I deal with a bunch of users who would like to put their 3.5" disks,
720K or 1.4M in the drive and say 'format f:'(or whatever drive).  This
nonsense about trying to remember which magic switches work is bad
enough for me, but I've got non-computer people to deal with.  Does
anyone know of a formatting program that is smart enough to figure out
what the drive is (or read a table stored in a configuration file) and
do the right thing?

				joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 90 09:58:45 EDT
From: gary@ctc.contel.com (Gary Bisaga  x4219)
Subject: Fujitsu RX-7100 laser printer

Does anybody know anything about a compact "personal" laser printer
made by Fujitsu?  I think the model number is RX-7100.  In any case, it
is rather small, has a dual hopper, Laserjet Plus emulation, 5.3 PPM,
three "slots" for additional fonts and emulations (?), three built in
fonts, and 640KB RAM expandable to 4.6MB.  I see it advertised in one
of these "high-tech" catalogs (similar to the DAK catalog) for $700.

My questions:
(1) Is this a dead end product that I might as well pass by?  More
generally, does this seem a good deal?

(2) Can I make use of the "expansion" capabilities (slots, RAM area)
real nowadays?  Or would I be stuck with what I buy?

(3) Is there a good (read: reasonably fast) way to print Postscript on
this guy? (Sorry, I don't know much about Postscript emulations for
Laserjet printers except that they exist.)

(4) Can the recently talked-about Microsoft outline font stuff be
adapted?

Thanks for any and all help.  I would really like a laser one of these
years.

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 90 19:12:19 EDT
From: Charles Holden Winstead <winstead@faraday.ece.cmu.edu>
Subject: Memory Help

I have a problem to which a soulution would be greatly appreciated.  I
am working on an INTEL 386 pc (yes INTEL) which has 512k of base memory
and 4 Meg of extended Memory.  I am not given a choice using dip
switches on how to configure the Base to 640k, but it seems to me that
there should be a way to use some of that extended memory as base
memory - at least up to 640k.  I was told by an INTEL rep that a
program called control-386 does this, but I haven't found it.

Is there a way, or is this an impossibility?

Much thanks in advance,

Chuck Winstead
winstead@faraday.ece.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: 16 Aug 90 23:10:47 GMT
From: atieu%skat.usc.edu@usc.edu (Anthony Tieu)
Subject: Terminal Emulator

Is there a simple and small vt100 or adds viewpoint 60 terminal
emulator out there in the public domain? If yes, where can I get one?
Thanks

Anthony TIeu

campus: University of Southern California
        Alumni House

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 90 2:30:31 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: Who is the author of PD1:MSDOS.C>CRC-C.ARC?

I need to contact the author of simtel20 pd1:<msdos.c>crc-c.arc If you
know who this is, please let me know.  -David-

david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu         ^         David J. Camp
...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david       < * >       314-382-0584

------------------------------

Date:  1 Aug 90
From:  Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject:  Accessing the SIMTEL20 Archives

The Simtel20 Archives discussed are available from:
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details
on file directories and descriptions.)  Problems with files obtained
from the Archives should be addressed to:
<ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 or DTUZDV1 (Germany), IMIPOLI (Italy), EB0UB011 (Spain),
TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not accessible on
the first Wednesday of each month from 6-10pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessible on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #138
-------