Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (09/02/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun,  2 Sep 90       Volume 90 : Issue 142

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                      disk boot failure? (4 msgs)
                          simibm shell script
              TAR.ARC  Public Domain tar Program for MsDos
                           BORLAND TURBO C++
                  Processing Long Integers on an IbmPc

Today's Queries:
                        BinkleyTerm v2.40 source
                            DiskPark program
                            network graphics
                      How do you install ATIWIN3?
                       Dictionary Program Wanted
                     MS-C macro files for .ASM code

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

The Simtel20 Archives discussed are available from:
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details
on file directories and descriptions.)  Problems with files obtained
from the Archives should be addressed to:
<ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DS0RUS1I (Germany), EB0UB011 (Spain), HEARN (Netherlands), IMIPOLI
(Italy), TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is not
accessible on the first Wednesday of each month from 6-10pm Eastern
Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most MSDOS SIMTEL20 files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC is a networked system
with multiple lines that support 300, 1200, 2400, and 9600 bps (HST).
This system is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17
cents per hour.  It is also accessible on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on
Tymnet via StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20 are
usually available on DDC within 24 hours.

    <rjc@math.princeton.edu> operates a mail server that sends, by
return mail, a series of files that answer quite a few of the most
frequently asked questions on the net.  This server will also look up
programs in the SIMTEL20 index, the grape index, and the chyde index.
If you send email to <rjc@math.princeton.edu> with no subject and
containing the single line "help", you will receive instructions;
sending the message "directory" gives you an index of all the files
available on the server.

    A set of files you might be interested in is obtaining are faq.csip
and faq.more.  These files contain answers to more frequently asked
questions.  Send the message "send faq.csip" or "send faq.more" to
obtain them.  DO NOT INCLUDE A SUBJECT LINE FOR THESE MESSAGES.

Date: Sun, 26 Aug 90 12:06:08 TUR
From: Vainer Moshe <VAINER%BENGUS.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: disk boot failure?

I had a disk that i desperatly need for my project.  i have no backup
for it.

Suddenly it get a "Disk boot failure" announcement when i tryed to boot
with it.

after this it didn't succeed to read from that disk and even ndd (that
i believed in) didn't succeed to read it.  even trying to format it
with different programs (pctools 5.5 too) didn't succeed.

any help will be welcomed.

moshe vainer
vainer@bengus

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Aug 90 18:13:56 EDT
From: Terje Thoegersen +47 7 589006 <THOGER%NORUNIT.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>

>  I had a disk that i desperatly need for my project.
>  i have no backup for it.
>  Suddenly it get a "Disk boot failure" announcement
>  when i tryed to boot with it.
>  after this it didn't succeed to read from that disk
>  and even ndd (that i believed in) didn't succeed to read it.
>  even trying to format it with different programs (pctools 5.5 too)
>  didn't succeed.

One thing that *might* help you is to start Norton Utils (NU.EXE) in
mainteneance mode with the switch /M.

Then you can specify disksectors  to be read in "Absolute sector Mode".
Try to specify something midway in between the choises presented to you
(i.e. : when it says "track (0-40)" or whatever, answer "20" etc..)

If the program is able to read anything from the disk then, it's only
the system-info that has been corrupted, and the disk can be recovered
by a knowledgeable person,manually. I'm afraid you'll have to get
someone to help you with this..  If several tries to read from the disk
in maintenance mode and absolute sector mode fail, I'm afraid you're
out of luck..

(I remember when I spilled coffee on the only copy I had of *my*
project..  I had to split the jacket, wash the floppy itself, and
remount it again.  I just knew someone up there liked me, when all the
files were readble, enabling me to make 4 fast copies :-))

Good luck !
  -Terje

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Aug 90 18:32:49 O
From: Zongi <S26604%BARILVM.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>

As a last resort you should try running the ndd option called "Revive a
defective disk" but try this only after everything else has failed
cause is will prevent you from trying other things anymore.

                                                 good luck
                                                     Zongi

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 90 10:08:36 +0200
From: Andr'e PIRARD <PIRARD%VM1.ULG.AC.BE@VM1.NoDak.EDU>

>As a last resort you should try running the ndd option called "Revive
>a defective disk" but try this only after everything else has failed cause
>is will prevent you from trying other things anymore.

But as a "first resort", make a diskcopy and work on that copy.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 5:14:53 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: simibm shell script

#! /bin/sh
# This script displays the simibm list on Unix systems.
# You must install the Unix arc command, and less.
# You can use more if you are too lazy to install less,
# but you do not know what you are missing.  -David-
# david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu
# ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david
arc p /mirrors/msdos/filedocs/simibm.arc SIMIBM.IDX | \
    awk ' \
# SIMDISP.AWK \
# Author: Joseph Gil (yogi@humus.huji.ac.il.BITNET) \
BEGIN { \
    FS = "\""; \
    INDENT_UNIT = "  "; \
} \
{ \
    curr_drive =  $2; \
    curr_dir = substr($4,2,length($4)-2); \
    split(curr_dir,split_dir,"."); \
     \
    INDENT_LEVEL = ""; \
    if (curr_drive != prev_drive) { \
        print INDENT_LEVEL curr_drive; \
        prev_drive = curr_drive; \
        prev_main_dir = "";                 \
        prev_sec_dir = ""; \
    }         \
    INDENT_LEVEL = INDENT_LEVEL INDENT_UNIT; \
    if (split_dir[1] != prev_main_dir) { \
        print INDENT_LEVEL split_dir[1]; \
        prev_main_dir = split_dir[1]; \
        prev_sec_dir = ""; \
    }         \
    INDENT_LEVEL = INDENT_LEVEL INDENT_UNIT; \
    if (split_dir[2] != prev_sec_dir) { \
        print INDENT_LEVEL split_dir[2]; \
        prev_sec_dir = split_dir[2]; \
    }         \
    INDENT_LEVEL = INDENT_LEVEL INDENT_UNIT; \
    printf("%s%-12s   %s\n",INDENT_LEVEL,$6,$8); \
} ' \
 - | less

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 1:35:36 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: TAR.ARC  Public Domain tar Program for MsDos

>David, tar-z.arc has been deleted.  TAR.ARC has been repacked to
>TAR.ZIP after fixing the text files - all of which had only Unix
>end-of-lines (LF only).  You may wish to look at FLIP2SRC.ARC.
>
>--Keith

I have uploaded tar.arc to simtel20.  This should replace
<msdos.filutl>tar-z.arc in the archive.  I removed the source and the
antiquated version of compress.  The README file tells how to get the
better compress program and the source for tar.  -David-

david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu         ^         David J. Camp
...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david       < * >       314-382-0584

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 90 17:07:14 GMT
From: Wade Guthrie <arcturus!evil%zardoz.uucp@ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject: BORLAND TURBO C++

jrv@sdimax2 says:

> The compiler is working fine now.  I have had to turn off several more
> warnings - TCC now expects every function to return a value unless it
> is explicitly declared to return "void".

This is in the new ANSI standard.  It is really clearer to start
declaring functions as void (if that's the way your code is written).
It helps make your code more self documenting.

> However, I am also getting
> extraneous warnings about useless code.  They all seem to involve use
> of getchar(), as in:

>         fprintf(stderr, "WARNING: ...\n"); getchar();

> True, I am ignoring the return value.  Doesn't the compiler realize
> that I am executing the function for its side effect?

The way to tell the compiler that is to cast the return value of
getchar to a void.  For example:

         fprintf(stderr, "WARNING: ...\n"); (void) getchar();

I have to admit that it does make ones code a little more verbose.

>Why doesn't the warning mention the return value?

It's the way the language is structured.  Expressions alone on a line
are okay.  For example:

	a=b;	/* this evaluates to the original value of 'b' */

Casting all of these would be a royal pain, so it is okay to have an
expression alone on a line.

Hope this helps.
Wade Guthrie (evil@arcturus.UUCP)
Rockwell International; Anaheim, CA
My opinions, not my employer's.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Aug 90 1:30:49 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: Processing Long Integers on an IbmPc

I am somewhat familiar with the problem faced when trying to do 32 bit
arithmetic on a PC.  I do not have time to experiment with it now, but
I want to suggest to developers a possible technique.

Instead of using the full 16-bit register for an operation, load only a
byte's worth of data.  The result of a multiply will fit in one word,
and can be easily be combined with the results of the other sixteen
operations.  For example:

           01234567
         * 89ABCDEF
           --------
              67*EF
            45*EF..
          23*EF....
        01*EF......
            67*CD..
          45*CD....
        23*CD......
      01*CD........
          67*AB....
        45*AB......
      23*AB........
    01*AB..........
        67*89......
      45*89........
    23*89..........
  01*89............
  -----------------
         32-bit sum

I hereby release this technique into the public domain.  -David-

david@wubios.wustl.edu                 ^             David J. Camp
...!uunet!wuarchive!wubios!david     < * >           +1 314 382 0584

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Aug 90 11:17:55 -0400
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil>
Subject: BinkleyTerm v2.40 source

Long ago a friendly Netlandian provided me source to BinkleyTerm (v1.30
or thereabouts).  I see the most recent executable package
(BEXE240.ZIP) at SIMTEL20's archives is v2.40.

Can anyone point me at (or provide me with) the most recent source? Is
source still being distributed for this package?  If so, it's probably
entitled BSRC_240.ZIP or some such.  (The package I have was entitled
BSRC_130.ARC.)

Thanks in advance,

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 16:36:38 EDT
From: Colin Smith <COLIN%UOTTAWA.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: DiskPark program

I remember reading about a TSR that acts like an auto-park feature for
your hard drive.  Apparently this program will park the heads (if they
have been idle for a specific amount of time) while you remain in
whatever software you happen to be using.

I would appreciate any information about such a product(s). (i.e.
price, name (especially the name), publisher, experiences...)

Please post directly to me and I will summarize for the list.

Thanks.

Colin Smith
Colin@ACADVM1.UOTTAWA.CA

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 17 Aug  5   11:2B CET
From:     TOBIAS.ROBISCHON@POLITIK.FU-BERLIN.DBP.DE
Subject:  network graphics

Hello,
we are looking for software or code that has the ability to produce a
graphic display of a network in a way like that: The elements of the
network are represented by rectangles or so, and lines represent the
links between them.

The number of elements in our networks is relativly high (40 to a few
hundred), so output on a plotter or other ways to produce posterlike
maps is important.

Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tobias Robischon
political science dep.
Freie Universitaet Berlin

------------------------------

Date: 27 Aug 90 01:26:28 GMT
From: baalke@mars.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Ron Baalke)
Subject: How do you install ATIWIN3?

I've downloaded ATIWIN3.ZIP from simtel, which is supposed to a driver
to Windows 3.0 to add high resolution screens with the ATI VGA Wonder
card.  However, when I unzipped it, the driver was there, but no
instructions on to how to install it.  Does anybody know how to install
this driver?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Aug 90 20:05:37 CST
From: Rick Zurawski <S22600ZR%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Dictionary Program Wanted

I am looking for a dictionary program that gives actual definitions of
words.  If anyone knows of a program such as this please let me know.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Aug 90 11:18:00 -0400
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil>
Subject: MS-C macro files for .ASM code

I started playing again with an old version of BinkleyTerm (written in
Microsoft C v5.00 and MASM v4.00).

There are 3 files missing from the source:  macro files for the .ASM
source that are provided on the the MS-C 5.0 "Startup Source Code
Disk".  The files are entitled VERSION.INC, MSDOS.INC and CMACROS.INC.

Has anyone rewritten these files to provide functionally equivalent
macros?  Or at LEAST extracted a list of macro names and descriptions
so I can have a VAGUE idea as to what they do?

I have no wish to pirate commercial, proprietary MS-C code, but I also
don't intend to buy MS-C just for three lousy macro files!  I'd be glad
to rewrite the macros myself .. IF I had the foggiest idea what they
did!  (Back-engineering them from the macro parameters in the .ASM
source is not my idea of fun: I flunked Crystal Ball 101.)

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance,

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil