Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (09/16/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 16 Sep 90       Volume 90 : Issue 147

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                        LaTeX to RTF conversion.
               My email server for the Info-IBMPC Digest
                             UNzip for VMS
                          WP51 to Postscript?
                     Re: Dictionary Program Wanted

Today's Queries:
                       Help with bus & chip sizes
                      NOVA*GKS documentation help?
                   return code of a SHELLed program?

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 90 16:33:53 WST
From: andrew@earwax.pd.uwa.OZ.AU (ANDREW WILLIAMS)
Subject: LaTeX to RTF conversion.

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>I am seeking a way of converting LaTeX files to Microsoft's RTF format
>to allow such files to be used for not only printing a document but
>also as input into other programs.  Can anyone help? Replies to me and
>I will summarize for INFO-IBMPC if this is appropriate. --  IAN GIBSON

I don't know much about it, but there was a utility on
comp.mac.binaries recently called 'wp2latex' which apparently converted
WordPerfect to LaTex, and possibly backwards. I didn't pay much
attention at the time, but now I'd be interested in any other info you
get on the subject.

			Andrew Williams,
			Physics Department,
			University of Western Australia,
			(andrew@earwax.uwa.oz.au).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 90 12:16:20 PDT
From: raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen)
Subject: My email server for the Info-IBMPC Digest

I've rewritten it so it completely IGNORES the subject line.  This
should simplify the instructions.

Also, the files that the server dispenses are also available for
anonymous ftp from math.princeton.edu in the directory pub/rjc.  I
encourage the use of ftp whenever possible, since it makes system
administrators much much happier.

Raymond Chen (raymond@math.berkeley.edu)

------------------------------

Date: 5 Sep 90 09:35:00 EDT
From: "Raj Viruru" <phaniraj@vtpwr1.psl.ee.vt.edu>
Subject: UNzip for VMS

 Contrary to a recent posting, UNZIP is also available for VMS systems.
I believe the original work was done by S. Smith of the Toolbox BBS ,
and it was then revised by K.W.Chiu in Hong Kong to work on VMS. It is
in the public domain ; if anyone wants the C source code, let me know.

 Raj Viruru
 Internet: PHANIRAJ@VTPWR1.PSL.EE.VT.EDU
 Bitnet : PHANIRAJ@VTVM1

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Sep 90 17:10:19 CET
From: OVE HAGSET <SIV87003%NOBIVM@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: WP51 to Postscript?

Hi, Tim

>...Does anyone know of a utility that will convert WP files to
>postscript format?....

You really don't need any utility to make a postscript for downloading
to a postscript-printer.  All you has to do is to install a postscript
printer-driver for the printer you are using, in WP, when you are
prompted for a port, pick Oher, and specify a filename to print to.
When you now print to this printer, the output will be sent to the file
you specified.  One warning, if you are printing more than one
document, be sure to rename the previous printings, as new printings
will overwrite the older ones.

The files you have printed to, are now ready to be downloaded to a
postscript- printer.  If you have access to MacIntosh with a
postscript-printer, the only way of downloading a postscript-file is to
use a utility by Adobe called SendPS available at the Macserve at
Irlearn for EARN-users.  This utility works well.

Hope this will solve your problem, as it did with my similar problem.

Ove M.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 90 11:12:09 cdt
From: price@chakra.unl.edu (Chad Price)
Subject: Re: Dictionary Program Wanted

In Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #142 Rick Zurawski <S22600ZR@ETSUACAD.BITNET>
writes:

>I am looking for a dictionary program that gives actual definitions of
>words.  If anyone knows of a program such as this please let me know.

On Unix systems, there is a program called webster, which is available
with source code, but I am not sure where to get it by anonymous ftp.
It requires something like 18MB of disk space to store the dictionary
and the access files and executatbles.

Perhaps someone can tell us if they have ported webster from a
client-server environment to a single tasking environment??

Chad Price
price@fergvax.unl.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 90 10:23 EDT
From: <HARRIS%CTSTATEU.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Help with bus & chip sizes

I'd appreciate some clarification regarding bus size and chip type.  I
thought the 8088 used an 8-bit data bus and 16-bit cpu, the 286 used a
16-bit data bus and a 16-bit cpu, the 386sx had a 16-bit data bus and a
32-bit cpu, and that the 'true' 386(dx) had a 32-bit bus and 32-bit
cpu.

But two recent articles in PC Magazine made me realize there is
something I don't understand.  "The Bus Wars" (June  26, 1990), pp.
113-161, indicated that an ISA (16-bit) bus was as good as an EISA or
MCA (32-bit) bus for single users.  This made me wonder why an sx
machine wasn't as good as a dx for these same users, since the cpu
capacity was the same, and they were each getting data only 16 bits at
a time.  Then, "The First 486s: Giant Step or Stepping Stone" (Sep 11,
1990), pp.  97-172, mentioned that the 486s they reviewed all use the
16-bit ISA bus.

Clearly, I have missed something basic.  Can anyone help explain the
differences between these various configurations, and what difference
they might make to me?  Thanks in advance.

Ed <HARRIS@CTSTATEU.BITNET>
Southern Connecticut State U, New Haven, CT 06515 USA
Tel: 1 (203) 397-4322 / Fax: 1 (203) 397-4207

------------------------------

Date: 06 SEP 90 15:32:10 CDT
From: JIM PIERCE <JMPIERCE%USMCP6.BITNET@UBVM.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: NOVA*GKS documentation help ?

 We use a graphics package on our ms-dos machines with very little
documentation. Its called 'NOVA*GKS C Kernal System; C Language
Binding; Version 2.2' However, the American company no longer supports
it.  In this system color is spelled 'colour.' This leads us to believe
that it is originally from Great Britain.

If anyone could help with an address for more complete documentation, I
would appreciate it very much. Actually, the University needs the help.
Please send your help messages to my bitnet address.  Thank you for any
help: addresses, etc.

* <JMPIERCE@USMCP6.BITNET> Jim Pierce at Univ. of Southern Mississippi

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Sep 90 13:31:00 EDT
From: JAMES@HIARAS.NRC.CA
Subject: What is the return code of a SHELLed program?

I want to SHELL to another program from inside my own QuickBASIC code
and then examine the return code [ie. the batch ERRORLEVEL].

When BASIC performs a SHELL it executes command.com then runs the
target program. When this program ends with function 4Ch, the command
processor always invokes function 4Dh to retrieve the return code and
presumably stores it. After that command.com terminates with function
4Ch, the SHELL ends and if I attempt to get the return code using CALL
interrupt, I get the code from the command.com-usually zero to indicate
success.

Can I retrieve the target program's return code from some secret
location, or is it internal to the current command.com and disappears
on exit?

Is it more appropriate to EXECute the program manually using CALL
interrupt, and function 4Bh? -what do I have to do in this case?

Any help, code fragments, pointers etc greatly appreciated and I will
summarize for the list.

James Dean
james@hiaras.nrc.ca
National Research Council