Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (10/01/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon,  1 Oct 90       Volume 90 : Issue 157

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:

                               Asian I/O
                           Hard Drive Saver?
                        PC configuration tester
                           reset on hp vectra
                 robust PC configuration tester wanted
                          Submission Problem?
                        WordPerfect Mailing List

Today's Queries:
                    RAM Problems with 16 Bit Memory
               Does Anyone Mount Wuarchive Using PC-NFS?
                            New XT-ROM BIOS?
                          QEMM 5.1 & Windows 3

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Sun, 23 Sep 90 03:53:40 PDT
From: portal!cup.portal.com!TKemper@Sun.COM
Subject: Asian I/O

>I have an XT combination floppy and 2 serial port I/O board.  I would
>really appreciate someone sending me information about the jumpers.
>Let me describe it in hopes it looks like something one of you have.
>It is a full length board and in the middle of the back trace it says
>YU-2006.  On the outside panel it has one DB-25 and one DB-15.  It has
>two serial ports using two WD8250's and the outputs are double pins,
>J22 and J23.  It has a clock and battery using the standard MM58167,
>and the floppy control part is at the end opposite the outside panel
>and the connection is a double set of pins (1-34) labeled DISK.  Near
>the middle it has seven different sets of jumper headers.

I have the same card, but mine says "BM8620" on the back instead of
YU2006.  Everything else is identical, except I have 2 empty sockets
instead of the WD chips.  If you're interested in how to jumper it,
here's how mine is jumpered

(for 2 5 1/4" floppies):

JP1:  o-o o       (the 'o's are pins, dashes are jumpers)
                  (JP6 and JP7 are not labeled)
JP2:  o-o o
      o o-o       JP3:  o o

JP4:  o-o         JP5:  o-o

JP6?:  o-o o o o o o o o   JP7?:  o o o o o o o-o o
       o o o o o o o o o          o o o o o-o o o o

>just copy the relevant description.  Appreciate any assistance.

Hope this is it.

Tod Kemper               Guam USA
27CSLGMQ@kadena-emh.af.mil
tkemper@cup.portal.com
71241,2010

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 10:52:20 CDT
From: Tony Phillips <S102066@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU>
Subject: Hard Drive Saver?

>Date: Mon Sep 17 12:06:03 1990
>From: guhsd000@crash.cts.com (Paula Ferris)
>
>Is there such a beast as a hard drive saver?  A small TSR that can kick
>in and set a bit (or something) low to disable the motor in the hard
>drive?

Doubtful.  You could unplug the harddrive from its controller and it will
still spin-up when the power supply is turned on.

     However, if your handy with electronic hardware, or have an Elect.
Engineering friend, it's possible to rig up a timer-relay to do the job.
Here's my idea, from a friend who did this on his own.

     Use something like a 555 timer chip with a relay gate.  When the timer
fires, use an SCR or a TRIAC type gate to latch the signal and pull the relay
open.  Have the power supply to the hard drive go through this relay.

     You'll need to find the attention signal line on the hard drive (if such
a thing exists) to reset the SCR in order to close the relay when DOS requests
HD access.

     There are a few problems in this, though.  The spikes can damage the
hard drive's on-board computer, and the controller may generate an error
if the hard drive doesn't respond quickly enough.

     There may be other solutions to this for a PC.  The idea above was imple-
mented on a TRS-80, with good results.
     IBM got smart on the PS/1 and made that a part of the system.  After
a set amount of non-use, the hard-drive and monitor power down, so the
computer uses no more electricity than a clock radio.

     When a key is pressed or the mouse is moved, everything powers back
up.

     Hope this helps!  Let us know if you find any other solutions!

Tony Phillips
President- A.C.M. Rolla Chapter
Student of Computer Science
University of Missouri, Rolla

Reply Addresses
BITNET:   S102066@UMRVMA
INTERNET: S102066@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU
  -or-    TONYP@CS.UMR.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 90 09:49:40 EDT
From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: PC configuration tester

I know PCTOOLS will show your configuration, along with a shareware
program I have called HELP!. I also have seen another program on a
BBS which displays the config in a graphical way. I'm not sure how
detailed of a configuration you want displayed.

Also, DESK130 from simtel20 should also show your configuration.

Chuck R.        bitnet: 346b36g@cmuvm.bitnet       Michigan, USA

------------------------------

Date: 22 Sep 90 03:48:12 GMT
From: gatech!km4ba!alan@ucsd.edu (Alan Barrow)
Subject: reset on hp vectra

Try ctl-alt-sys_request. That is a complete reboot.

Good luck!
Alan Barrow
..!gatech!kd4nc!km4ba!alan

------------------------------

Date: 22 Sep 90 04:42:19 GMT
From: msa3b!torre@gatech.edu (Patrick Torre)
Subject: robust PC configuration tester wanted

Derk Ederveen <D_Ederveen%pttrnl.nl@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:

>... Does anyone know of a 'robust' configuration
>tester/checker? Any pointers welcome;

I've just started using a program called Manifest. It came free with my
copy of QEMM-386. Supposed to be a $59.95 value, but who knows what the
street price is.

I'm amazed at what this product does (maybe just the "new toy" syndorme
:-)) It reported everything, from what memory my token-ring card was
using, to what interupts my TSR's had taken.  I now know what the port
addresses of my printer and modem.  Take an inventory of your CMOS
configuration.  It is fun to monitor your keyboard buffer in real time.

I dont know If this program is "robust" (PS/2 50Z is not a hard test
for this), but it can tell you everything that there IS to know about
your PC's memory and ports.

just my $5.25 worth.
,pat

Patrick Torre @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2061
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!torre

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Sep 90 23:56:53 MDT
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Submission Problem?

The item is queued for distribution, but in the future, you might
consider adding a more descriptive SUBJECT than "Item for  IBMPC"
of some such thing.  Remember your query is going to be published
worldwide, and the thing that grabs attention is the "Today's Topics:"
and "Today's Queries:" section at the top.  (Where your subject
will go when Digestified...)

I generally try and fix Subjects, but it would sure save time
if the submitter did it for me...  (AND THEM!)

Best,
Gregory Hicks

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 24 Sep 1990 08:57:05 EST
From: m11805@mwvm.mitre.org (Ted McMichael)

In Info-IBMPC Digest Volume 90:Issue 148 dated Sun, 16 Sep 90, in a
message dated 7 Sep 90 21:27:00 PDT, Thomas H. Couper, Civ. wrote:

> I've heard that somewhere on the Internet is a WordPerfect mailing
> list devoted to the discussion of various WP topics.
>
> I've checked the Internet "List of Mailing Lists" and asked around
> in several places and haven't come up with anything.  Do you know if
> there is such a list and, if so, what the net address is?

     There is a WordPerfect echo mail conference on FIDO Net.  It is
available on many local Bulletin Board Systems (BBSs) around the
country.  It is an international conference devoted to the discussion
of WordPerfect products.  It is really good for picking up tips on
WordPerfect and other WordPerfect Corporation products.

     I don't know about an Internet mailing list.  If you find out
about such a mailing list, please let me and everyone else know about
it!

  Ted McMichael
       Phone:  703-883-7408         Fax:  703-883-6436
       E-Mail:  Ted@MITRE.ORG
       US Mail:  MITRE, 7525 Colshire Drive, McLean, VA 22102-3481

------------------------------

Date: Sat,  22 Sep 90 14:45:33 +0200
From: Michael Shalev <SHALEVA%HBUNOS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: RAM Problems with 16 Bit Memory

I would really appreciate it if there are any RAM Sleuths out there who
could help me on this one--a 16-bit Memory Card that works fine when
configured as Extended Memory, but not as Expanded.

Here's the story: The card is a 2MB Taiwanese gizmo purchased from
CompuAdd, which supports LIM 3.2 ("old" EMS) or Extended Memory.  It is
populated by 120 nanosecond chips (9 of which=256K)--my box is a 10MHz
AT clone.  At first I used the board as EMS with only half a meg of
RAM, and it worked fine.  But when I added a second .5MB (total=one
megabyte), I started getting fairly frequent "I/O Card Parity Errors".
These *disappear*, however, if the dispswitches on the card are altered
to configure the memory as Extended.  Solutions or suggestions will be
most welcome!

..Michael Shalev

P.S. If I ever get over this hurdle--is there such a thing as freeware
or shareware software which will make an LIM 3.2 board think it's LIM
4.0?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 2:17:17 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: Does Anyone Mount Wuarchive Using PC-NFS?

I am interested in the possibility of mounting wuarchive via PC-NFS.
As you may know, wuarchive can be NFS-mounted.  I want to hear stories
and anecdotes regarding the use of wuarchive directly on PC's.  Does
anyone use one of the programs that runs directly from an .ARC file,
accessing wuarchive each time a program is run?

I do not have PC-NFS myself, so I cannot share my (non-)experience.

Please mail directly to me.  I will save all postings and make them
available to users requesting a copy (ask now).  -David-

david@wubios.wustl.edu                 ^        Mr. David J. Camp
david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu        < * >      +1 314 382 0584
...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david          v

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 11:03:13 CDT
From: Tony Phillips <S102066@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU>
Subject: New XT-ROM BIOS?

I have a IBM-PC clone (XT) at 4.77/10 MHz.  It uses
Phoenix ROM BIOS V 2.52

My question is, is it possible to pop out the BIOS ROM's and pop in new
versions?  My version seemingly doesn't like my extended keyboard.  IE
With the num-lock key on, if I press the DEDICATED page-up, end, home (etc)
keys, I get numbers instead.  Shouldn't I be getting the correct meaning
of those dedicated keys at all times?

     If this is a problem that could be remedied with a new BIOS without
loosing compatibility, then how much does a new BIOS chip set cost?

Thanks!

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 17:16:54 CET
From: "Christoph H. Hochstaetter" <HAMPE2%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: QEMM 5.1 & Windows 3

Does anyone already got the new QEMM 5.1 and Windows 3.0 work together
in protected mode. I didn't have any success with neither WIN /3 nor
WIN /S.  I don't get the error message as I got with QEMM 5.0, but
WINDOWS aborts just after the title screen. I have included the
WINHIRAM.VXD Driver as described in the manual.

If someone already had success, he maybe can send me his CONFIG.SYS and
his SYSTEM.INI file.

thanks in advance
Christoph

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #157