Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (10/15/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 15 Oct 90       Volume 90 : Issue 164

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                      Ghostscript 2.0 announcement
                          Re: Hard Disk Saver?
                         SIMTEL20 duties resume
                      WordPerfect List Information

Today's Queries:
              Elite Microsystems - address, experiences??
                    External Disk Drive for IBM 50Z
                      Lookout for Brooklyn Bridge
                 Hawk Motherboard Documentation needed
            Windows 3.0 Driver for Paridise SVGA Card Wanted
                 info request on dma and on 387sx bugs
                        Kermit for HP Computers
                           Mouse Driver Query
         Need Recommendations for BBS Software for DOS or Unix
                     Windows 3.0 Postscript Driver

New Uploads:
                                mush 7.1

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 12:08:40 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: Ghostscript 2.0 announcement

I have been receiving some requests for this information, so I am
sending it to the whole list.  -David-

david@wubios.wustl.edu                 ^        Mr. David J. Camp
david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu        < * >      +1 314 382 0584
...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david          v

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 21:45:58 EDT
From: tower@ai.mit.edu (Leonard H. Tower Jr.)

	[ This software will soon be available for anonymous uucp on
	  osu-cis and anonymous ftp on gatekeeper.dec.com. ]

(I (Karl Berry, karl@cs.umb.edu) am posting this message for Peter
Deutsch (addresses below), the principal author of Ghostscript, since
Peter is out of town for a few days.)

We are happy to announce the availability of Ghostscript release 2.0.
Special thanks are due to Karl Berry and Kathy Hargreaves, who created
the fonts that are included in this release, as well as to many other
users who assisted in testing and debugging.  This release includes
many improvements and new features, the most significant being:

        - A real set of fonts, based on the X11 BDF fonts and other
bitmap fonts, and the Hershey fonts;

        - Full support for Adobe Type 1 fonts (currently ignoring the
hints);

        - Drivers for the SunView window system and the Borland
Graphics Interface, in addition to previously released drivers for X
Windows and for EGA-compatible display systems;

        - Drivers for Epson, DeskJet, and LaserJet printers;

        - The ability to dump out a bitmap (or 8- or 24-bit color
pixmap) of the rendered result;

        - The ability to include multiple devices in a single
executable, and switch between them;

        - The ability to search through multiple directories for
library files.

These are just the highlights: see README, readme.doc, and history.doc
in the fileset for more details.  Many, many bugs have also been fixed.

The EGA, BGI, X Windows, and Epson drivers are "supported" in the same
sense as the non-driver code, namely, that we (Aladdin Enterprises)
will do our best to diagnose and fix reported problems; the other
drivers either were contributed by users, or rely on hardware not
accessible to us, so we will probably refer problems to helpful users
for resolution.

The fileset for Ghostscript release 2.0 is currently available on
prep.ai.mit.edu, in the directory pub/gnu.  The files are:
ghostscript-2.0.tar.Z - the main sources ghostscript-2.0fonts.tar.Z -
fonts other than the Hershey fonts ghostscript-2.0hershey.tar.Z - the
Hershey fonts gs_2_0.exe - a precompiled MS-DOS executable MS-DOS users
should be aware that the source files use the Unix line-end convention
(\n), rather than the MS-DOS convention (\r\n).

Unfortunately, a working PaintJet driver didn't quite make it into this
release.  A user-contributed working PaintJet driver exists, but there
wasn't time to integrate it into the release.  I've asked the author of
the PaintJet driver to bring it up to date with the released fileset.
Meanwhile, the unintegrated code is on the same directory in
ghostscript-2.0paintjet.tar.Z If you have an urgent need for this
driver, you may wish to try your hand at integrating it yourself: I
would appreciate it if you would feed the result back to me, since it
makes it more likely that it will be integrated into a distribution in
the near future.  Be aware that the diffs in this file do *not* match
the sources in ghostscript-2.0.tar.Z.

I'm sure there are still bugs in this release, since Ghostscript is a
large program and not easy to test thoroughly.  Don't hesitate to send
bug reports (or glowing reviews :-)) to
bug-ghostscript@prep.ai.mit.edu.  Please do NOT post them to the
gnUSENET newsgroup gnu.ghostscript.bug, as this often results in bad
addresses, which we can not reply to.

I hope the interval of over a year since the last release of
Ghostscript (1.3) will turn out to have been an unfortunate anomaly; I
hope to be able to go back to the schedule of a release every six to
eight months (if warranted).  I would be very interested in hearing
suggestions about what to put into release 2.1 (targeted for March or
April next year), once users have had some experience with 2.0.

L. Peter Deutsch :: Aladdin Enterprises :: P.O. box 60264, Palo Alto, CA 94306
ghost@aladdin.com | {uunet,sun,decwrl}!parcplace!aladdin!ghost | (415)329-0264

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 01:48 EDT
From: DATAUB%vassar.bitnet@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
Subject: Re: Hard Disk Saver?

In Digest #152, guhsd000@crash.cts.com (Paula Ferris):

>Is there such a beast as a hard drive saver?  A small TSR that can kick
>in and set a bit (or something) low to disable the motor in the hard
>drive?

I realize that this may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I
have a program called NOHARD.COM which will disable the Hard Drive
until the next time you reboot.  I'm not sure if it actually turns the
drive OFF, but I know that the program makes it IMPOSSIBLE to access
the hard drive until the next reboot.  The program is useful for
checking the integrity of questionable programs.  After you run it, you
may still be able to DIR the Hard drive - because that's in memory, but
it won't let you read or write almost anything else.

     If you are interested in the program, let me know.  I am also
going to echo this through the net.

     Danny Taub
     Dataub@Vassar.Bitnet
     Dataub%Vassar.Bitnet@Cunyvm.Cuny.Edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Oct 1990  22:15 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: SIMTEL20 duties resume

The funding for my task at SIMTEL20 has been renewed effective today,
October 1.  It is not known at this time if funding will be for a
partial or a full year.

It's good to be back.  Thanks to everyone who sent email when my task
was terminated last May due to budget cutbacks.  Your words of
encouragement were appreciated.

If you have files to upload to SIMTEL20 please contact me for
instructions.  This is your archive - we need your help to keep it up
to date.

Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.mil  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 15:17 GMT
From: IKDC0%ccuab1.uab.es@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: wp list

> I've heard that somewhere on the Internet is a WordPerfect mailing list
> devoted to the discussion of various WP topics.

      Yes, this list exist. Send a "subscribe wp50-l your name" message
to:

    LISTSERV@HEARN.BITNET

At least, this works in Europe.

Javier Castro
IKDC0 at EBCCUAB1.BITNET
IKDC0 at CCUAB1.UAB.ES   (internet)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 21:38 N
From: <GASPARD%HROEUR5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Elite Microsystems - address, experiences??

Does anyone have the present address of Elite Microsystems? They
produce a nice DTP monitor according to reviews. Does anyone have
experience in dealing with them?

Gaspard de Jong

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  2 Oct 90 11:54 EDT
From: <TOLIVER%UDCVAX.BITNET@UBVM.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: External Disk Drive for IBM 50Z

I need information on adding an external hard disk drive to an IBM 50Z.
I am in terested in an 80-120Mbyte disk drive using an SCSI controller.
Does anyone hav e knoweldge of a good drive and controller combination?
Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 04:35:23 CET
From: <ACSCS@SEMASSU.BITNET>
Subject: Lookout for Brooklyn Bridge

I have run into major problems with using Brooklyn Bridge.  For those
who don't know, BB is a nifty utility that allows you to connect
computers via the parallel ports.  You can use one computer and still
access the drives from the other.

I hooked up my friend's 386/25 with a 70MB 28ms harddrive to my machine
(8088/10, with a 32MB 65ms harddrive).  Using his computer (of course)
and accessing my work on my harddrive.  It seemed to work fine, I would
transfer a file or two to the 386 to work on, and then zap it back over
to my machine.  For some reason this totally destroyed my harddrive.
The FAT had no idea what files were where, and I was getting all sorts
of seek errors (even when accessing the drive w/out BB).  I ended up
low level formatting my drive, restoring the data, and throwing out
Brooklyn Bridge.

The only guesses we have come up with is the speed difference in the
two machines.  I was guessing that his machine was so fast that it was
just sucking the data right off my drive.  There was not enough time
for my FAT to update.  I don't recall seeing anything in the manual
about not hooking together two different speed machines.

I just wanted to warn anyone who was thinking of using BB, and see if
anyone had any ideas or similar experiences with the package.

Chris Sullivan
Senior Computing Assistant
Southeastern Mass. University
N. Dartmouth, MA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Oct 90 17:06:46 EST
From: Juan Jose Noyles <V2057A%TEMPLEVM@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Hawk Motherboard Documentation needed

Is anyone familiar with the Hawk Motherboard?  If so, how does one get
technical docs from the manufacturer.  The AT I bought gives my machine
the name GENE II, but since there is no address, I figured I'd better
try to track down the companies now before I have any problems...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 16:15:06 EDT
From: curt@unix.cie.rpi.edu (Curt Signorino)
Subject: Windows 3.0 Driver for Paridise SVGA Card Wanted

I have a 16-bit svga Paradise video card with 512k.  However, it didn't
come with a Windows 3.0 driver (only Windows 286 and 386).  Moreover,
since it came with a package system, there is no Paradise point of
contact or phone number.

Does anyone know of a Windows 3.0 driver for this card and where I can
get it?

Thanks.
Curt Signorino
curt@unix.cie.rpi.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 18:29:31 BST
From: Ian D Hawkins <idh@nabla.electrical-engineering.umist.ac.uk>
Subject: info request on dma and on 387sx bugs

I understand that some PC chipsets do not properly support simultaneous
DMA read and write opetations,  is this true for the case of having a
16bit read channel open at the same time as a 16 write channel is
working ?.  Or does it just effect 8-bit transfers ?.

We have horrible problems with our HP 386/387sx vectras,  they crash on
exceptions trapped by the 387sx coprocessor (or so it seems).  Is this
a curable complaint?.

Thanks in advance for any help / comments
Ian H.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 1990 14:11:55 PDT
From: DUCHOW@UCRAC1.UCR.EDU (John K. Duchowski)
Subject: Kermit for HP Computers

  Hello,

	I have noticed that you gave some expert advice on HP Vectra to
someone on Info-IBMPC so I took the liberty to "borrow" your address from
there hoping that may be you will be able to help me out as well.

	We have several HP 9000 Series 300 computers which we would like
to hook up to a Vax 8820 running Vax/VMS.  What I would like to know is
whether there exists some version of Kermit (preferably PD) or some other
terminal emulation program which would allow us to do so and to provide
us with a capability of file transfer to and from the Vax.  If you happen
to know of any such beast (or a reasonable facsimile) I would very much
appreciate hearing about it.  Thank you for your time and assistance in
this matter.

Sincerely,
Dr. John Duchowski

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Oct 90 15:09:47 SET
From: Karl Keyte <KKEYTE%ESOC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Mouse Driver Query

I have a mouse (quite a nice one!) which doesn't seem to be recognised
by several packages, notably Turbo Debugger & Turbo Profiler.  It half
works with Turbo C++ but not satisfactorily.  It is a "Genius Mouse"
with a supposed Microsoft compatible driver.

I have noticed that it only supports INT-33H functions up to 15H and
not the extended ones, though it uses the EGA mouse extensions via
interrupt 10H to provide additional services.

Two real questions:

   1.   Why bother with two sets of interrupt services for the same
thing?  For example, the mouse driver version may be obtained with
either interrupt 10H function FAH or interrupt 33H function 24H.  Some
packages use one, presumably (for some reason) others use the other.

   2.   Has anyone got a Genius mouse?  I'd be interested to know if
your driver responds to the SYSID (available from Simtel's .SYSUTL
directory).  SYSID only reports that I have a mouse with three buttons,
everything else is just filled with '(Unknown)'.

Anyone got any ideas?  It's preventing me getting use from my mouse!

Thanks in advance,
Karl

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Oct 90 17:18:03 SST
From: Luther Chan <CCECHAN%NUSVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Need Recommendations for BBS Software for DOS or Unix

Will somebody out there let me know which are the best BBS software.
Please send me infomation on the features and how to get it.

My basic requirement it able connect by two modem users and a console
operator.  Search function such as subject, and name search are basic
requirement.  The software may run in either DOS or UNIX.

Thank you in advance.
Luther

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 2 Oct 1990 12:30:53 EDT
From: "David Neal" <U233B@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU>
Subject: Windows 3.0 Postscript Driver

I have run into what appears to be a couple of problems with the
Windows 3.0 Postscript driver.

1) Printing fountain-fills of complex shapes such as state outlines:
Graphics were created with Corel Draw and imported into Pagemaker.
Printing results in printer activity but no output.  I have
systematically ruled out all hardware problems and can only assume the
problem lies with Windows' interpretation of the postscript file.  45
minutes on the phone to Microsoft tech-reps confirmed I was set up
properly.

2) Printing to legal-size paper on Apple LaserWriter II NT : Windows
3.0 will only print to the first 11 inches of a 14-inch page.  Our
version of Windows 386 handled legal paper in the LaserWriter without a
hitch.  Once again Microsoft tech-reps confirmed proper setup.

If someone with Microsoft could either confirm or deny these problems I
could give my users some difinitive answers. (They're not happy) Anyone
else with relevant info please comment.

System Info ----
 Hardware:
  3 IBM PS/2 Model 55sx (2 Meg RAM, 60 Meg HD, 8514/A graphics, 19" monitors)
  1 Apple LaserWriter II NT
  1 Linotronic Linotype 100 laser type setter with RIP 1 Raster Image Processor
  1 Epson 9-pin printer
  1 Logical Connection printer sharer (Yes, I tried connecting the printers
                                       directly to the PCs - same results)
 Software:
  Windows 3.0 (Enhanced mode)
   Aldus Pagemaker  (Updated for Windows 3.0)
   Corel Draw       (         ditto         )

David Neal
PC Manager
University of West Virginia College of Graduate Studies

u233b@wvnvm.wvnet.edu     BITNET: U233B@WVNVM    Phone (304)766-1915

------------------------------

Date: Tue Oct  2 12:11:13 BST 1990
From: Mike O'Carroll <mike@elec-eng.leeds.ac.uk>
Subject: mush 7.1

A preliminary version has been uploaded to pd2:<msdos2.uucp>mush71.zip

A protected mode version for OS/2 is being sent to the os-2 discussion
forum at blekul11.bitnet

Mike O'Carroll, Microsystems Unit, The University, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
E-mail: @ukc.ac.uk:mike@ee.leeds[.ac.uk]
uucp:  ...!mcsun!ukc!lena!mike OR mike@lena.uucp

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #160
-------