Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (10/16/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 16 Oct 90       Volume 90 : Issue 161

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                        Answer to Writing TSR's
                  How to kill a never ending program?
                           MsDos multitasking
                       uuencode download problems

Today's Queries:
            (Info on) SCRIPT softfont for HPLJ II requested
                       bat2exec from PCMag utils
                 CLIPPER Applications on UNISYS 386 PC
                          mouse driver source
                          Logitech Mouse Help
                        source code for gnudiff2
                         SYQUEST DRIVES ON PC'S
                         Wordstar 5.5C problem

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 90 22:42:07  19
From: hugh@sivs.sivs.com (Hugh Daschbach)
Subject: Answer to Writing TSR's

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>As many are aware, DOS is non reentrant code, so to write to the disk
>and do other things that require DOS Int 21 functions is hard and
>complicated.

>The best example of how to do TSR's is a shareware program by Thomas
>Brandenborg that goes under the name TSRDEMO2.ZIP.  I have to say, that

>As an alternative, you can buy the solution from South Mountain
>Software called Resident C (1-800-451-6174, South Orange, NJ).  They

Do you know if either of these references provide an environment where
it is safe to perform an EXEC?  I have written a TSR that acts as a
network file server.  It does I/O just find.  And it mostly allows me
to spawn programs on the server system.

However, the remote spawn function isn't particularly clean.  I am
interested in any references that deal with allowing TSRs to EXEC other
programs.

Thanks.
--
Hugh Daschbach			internet: hugh@sivs.com
State IV Software		AKA: hdasch, root

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 9:48:53 PDT
From: Hugh Daschbach <hugh@sivs.pa.dec.com>
Subject: How to kill a never ending program?

elmar@uni-paderborn.de (Elmar Schalueck) writes:

>I think there must be a way to kill the program in the memory by using
>a TSR, that could be evoked by a certain keystroke (Alt-Esc).

Capture the hot key sequence, insure that the DOS busy flag is not set,
then simply issue an int 0x20 (or int 0x21, function 0x4c).  Since DOS
sees the current running program as the active process, it will simply
terminate that program.

Of course, if the program you want to terminate has hooked an interrupt
vector, you will need a mechanism to restore the original vector.
Consider running your program from a front end that saves all current
interrupt vectors, hooks interrupt 9 (or 0x16, or whatever to watch for
the hot key), EXEC (int 0x21, function 0x4b) the program you want to be
able to terminate, restore the interrupt vectors, and terminate.

By EXECing the program, instead of running as a TSR, you get control
back after your hot key routine has terminated it.  You can then do
whatever clean up is necessary.

Date: Sat, 29 Sep 90 00:52:00 GMT
From: "Peter Flynn" <CBTS8001%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: MsDos multitasking..

Thomas has summed it up neatly. OS/2 (yes, half an OS) looks nice, but
it crawls on anything except a 386/486 at 33MHz+ with 8Mb memory, fast
bus and 100Mb disk. Believe me, I tried it: it has some lovely
facilities but it's aimed at very rich institutions with "buy IBM only"
policies. The rest of us have to make do with Windows 3 or DesqView.

Windows 3 is excellent, a real improvement on W2, but it also is very
slow, partly because (like OS/2/PM) it takes real time to draw all the
pretty graphics. It doesn't, however, need anywhere near the hardware
upgrade of OS/2, and is well supported. You do have to re-buy most of
your software, though, as with OS/2, in versions for W3.

DesqView is visually the mixed bag. Its default windows are text only,
but it will happily run graphics inside any window (even W2 will run
inside DV).  Its biggest claim to fame is you don't need to re-buy
*any* software, as it will all run under DV as it stands. DV is also
quite cheap, and needs no extra hardware or software, although to make
sensible use of it, you need to be running a 386, just like for W3 or
OS/2. It is very robust and well- supported (and seems to be relatively
bug-free: more than can be said for W3 or OS/2).

If you're short of cash and hardware, go for DV. If you've got a bit
more money and don't mind a few oddities, go for W3. If you're really
flush and like IBM software, go for OS/2.

[Actually I'm being unfair to IBM, there's nothing really wrong with
OS/2, just they don't exactly shine when it comes to writing software!
:-)

///Peter

------------------------------

Date: 28 Sep 90 0951
From: 12100z@d1.dartmouth.edu (Tom Buskey)
Subject: uuencode download problems

In info-pc #152 there was a reply to possible uudecoding problems under MS-DOS.
The uudecode terminated with a "nothing to decode" message.  I've
gotten this before because when I get my mail, the system adds 2 spaces
to the left on every line.  By editing out the leading 2 spaces from
every line (and any mail headers) I can then uudecode it.  If I remove
the mail headers but not the leading spaces, I can't uudecode.

Later I got another uudecode program that ignores the spaces and
fileheaders.  It's on simtel under PD1:<msdos.filutl>qux3_90.arc.  Hope
this helps.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 11:20 MET
From: "Jim Groeneveld, NIPG TNO." <GROENEVELD%TNO.NL@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: (Info on) SCRIPT softfont for HPLJ II requested

Dear readers,

I am searching for a SCRIPT type face download (soft) font file for the
HP Laserjet Series II, commercial, shareware or free.  It should be
applied from WP as well as PC-Write. Who can help or point me in the
right direction?

Regards - Jim.

NIPG TNO <work>: Y. Groeneveld (call name: Jim) <home>| GROENEVELD@TNO.NL   |
Postbus 124    | Wassenaarseweg 56 | Schoolweg 14     | GROENEVELD@HDETNO51 |
2300 AC Leiden | 2333 AL Leiden    | 8071 BC Nunspeet | TNOSUR::GROENEVELD  |
Nederland (NL) : (+31|0)71-178810  | (+31|0)3412-60413| RULTNO::JIM         |

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Sep 90 12:39:17 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: bat2exec from PCMag utils

I have a problem with BAT2EXEC (from the PCMagazine utilities).  I do
not manage to compile any file.  even

echo this is a test

or

copy a:erich.exe c:erich.exe

produced an error message.
Am I alone with this problem? or does anybody share my experiences.

ERICH NEUWIRTH
A4422DAB  at  AWIUNI11   in   BITNET
Intitute for Statistics and Computer Science
UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA, UNIVERSITAETSSTR. 5/9, A-1010 VIENNA, AUSTRIA

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Sep 90 11:43:17 EDT
From: Lowe Robert LTC <4r8345@westpoint-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: CLIPPER Applications on UNISYS 386 PC

We have been moving CLIPPER applications from our existing base of
Zenith Z-248 (80286) systems to new UNISYS (80386 -- Desktop III)
equipment.  We have noticed two things --

       #1 -- With no changes in the .EXE files, it appears that we must
provide more memory for the programs to execute on the UNISYS 386
machines.

       #2 -- CLIPPER applications that execute a DOS command (i.e.,
copy a file) abort.

CLIPPER baseline is Summer 1987 version.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Robert S. Lowe                     INTERNET: 4r8345@westpoint-emh2.army.mil
Director, Computer Systems Division          4r8345@trotter.usma.edu
US Military Academy                PHONE:    (914) 938-4311   AV 688-4311
ATTN: MAIM-C
West Point, NY 10996-2001

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 16:43:34 MET
From:     JAN HOFMAN <TGTEJH@HEITUE5>
Subject:  mouse driver source

Hi folks,

Can anyone help me find assembly source code for a mouse driver under
MS DOS ? It doesn't have to be free, but it should be cheap.

I'm sending this using someone else's account, so if you want to reach
me directly you can use one of the following addresses:

Thanks in advance, Peter van Mierlo

PP van Mierlo, Liesbergstraat 9, 5628 ED Eindhoven, The Netherlands,
 31 40 41 19 45 (that's a voice phone)

TUERC5::TGTEPM(@HEARN) (that's electronic)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Sep 90 20:36 CST
From: "Jon Robertson" <JMROBERTSON%UALR.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Logitech Mouse Help

I am using a Logitech Mouse driver on a XT.  I have two questions:

1)  Is there a way I can simulate mouse movements via software?
2)  Is there a way I can temporarily disable the mouse w/o unloading
the driver??

Any help would be appreciated.

Jon Robertson
Lab Supervisor
UALR Computer Services
JMROBERT@UALR.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 01:53:47 EST
From: jim wiegand v5068templevm <V5068U%TEMPLEVM@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: source code for gnudiff2

Hi,
   I am trying to use the gnu rcs (DOSRCS et al.) & the gnu diff from
comp.binaries.ibm.pc has a problem with some dos filenames (like
DIFF.C!). I have been working on the rcs source code and the diff
source code would be greatly appreciated. I will post my results
(eventually :-)

   thanks
         jim v5068u at TEMPLEVM

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 08:53:47 PDT
From: JEFF NADEL <DI380%CALPOLY.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: SYQUEST DRIVES ON PC'S

     Does anyone have any information about using Syquest removable
hard drives on a PC?  I have heard great reviews from Mac owners, nut
nothing from the PC world.  I know that mail order firms sell these
drives for PC's and they come with a SCSI card.

All responces are appreciated.

Jeff Nadel                 | BITNET:      DI380@CALPOLY
Academic Computing Services| Internet:    jnadel@nike.calpoly.edu
Cal Poly                   | Phone:       (805) 756-2516
San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 |

------------------------------

Date: 28 Sep 90 15:56:00 CDT
From: "55SRWLGS" <55srwlgs@sacemnet.af.mil>
Subject: Wordstar 5.5C problem

HI,

     We are having a bit of a problem with WORDSTAR, version 5.5C.  The
program overall works fairly normally. About as  much as one might
expect, at any rate. However, whenever I try to  backspace, either with
the backspace key, or one of the arrow keys, the program hesitates, for
up to 5 minutes, before accomplishing the backspace action. Same with
the  CTRL-S and other backspace key combinations.

     I don't have the program configured for network option.  The
machine I'm using is a UNISYS 386, with MS-DOS 4.01. All other programs
behave normally. I have another copy of WS 5.5C, and installed that on
the PC. Didn't clear the problem. Appreciate any suggestons.

Frank Starr
55srwlgs@sacemnet.af.mil

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #161
-------