Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (11/12/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 12 Nov 90       Volume 90 : Issue 177

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
            Determining the difference between 386DX & 386SX
                    Re: PD Modem Software (V90 #160)
           Suggestions for PC Anti-Viral programs (V90 #160)
                       Re: WORDSTAR 5.5C problem
                   Kermit for HP Computers (V90 #164)
               Looking for a utility to split large files
         Need Recommendations for BBS Software for DOS or Unix
                      switch caps & control (fwd)

Today's Queries:
                            Dial tone modem
                       Disk de-fragmenter wanted
                 Increase PS/2 Hard Disk Size to 300mb
                             Modem Problem
                       PCX picture in Turbo C 2.0
                     Windows 3.0 on HP-Vectra RS/20

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: 18 Oct 90 18:25:16 GMT
From: rcollins@altos86.Altos.COM (Robert Collins)
Subject: Determining the difference in 386DX & 386SX

To all you GURU's out there that (think you) know have software to
determine the difference between the 386DX & 386SX, read this:

I remember that a few people claimed it was 'easy' but wouldn't post
thier code (my version of put up, or shut up).

I also remember some code posted that used the prefetch queue to
determine the difference between the two.  As I responded, if the code
worked, it worked by accident -- not by design.  The code would fail on
fast systems and some systems with cache memory.

Now, to my point of this posting:
Intel confirmed to me today that they have reduced the size of the
prefetch queue on the 80386DX as of the D1 stepping.  It has been
reduced to 12-bytes from the original 16.  This reduction in prefetch
queue size fixed a bug with pipelined execution.  The GURU @ Intel that
called me is now checking to see if the same change was made on the SX
(even though the SX didn't have the same bug as the DX).

So, even if you thought your algorithm worked, you can now throw it
away.

Robert Collins                 UUCP:  ...!sun!altos86!rcollins
HOME:  (408) 225-8002
WORK:  (408) 432-6200 x4356

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 18:04:52 EDT
From: Peter Jones <MAINT%UQAM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Re: PD Modem Software (V90 #160)

>From: <SINCLAIR%WUMS.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>

>        Where can I find source code for a PD modem (terminal emulator)
>program for my PC clone?

Kermit will do this.

Peter Jones                    (514)-987-3542
Internet:Peter Jones <MAINT%UQAM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
UUCP: ...psuvax1!uqam.bitnet!maint

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 18:08:40 EDT
From: Peter Jones <MAINT%UQAM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Suggestions for PC Anti-Viral programs (V90 #160)

>From:  <CHGARNETT%AMHERST.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>
>However, the age of the PC virus has arrived.
> [Remainder of text deleted]
>
>Please respond directly to me, and there seems to be interest, I will
>summarize the responses for the net.

No need! Just subscribe to VIRUS-L@LEHIIBM1. You'll get a digest of the
latest virus news every day or so.

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 08:46:40 WST
From: Dr. Ahmad Faizal Mohd. Zain <9m2dx@eng.ukm.MY>
Subject: Re: WORDSTAR 5.5C problem

I also have that version and the backspace does hesitate.  But I don't
have to wait for 5 minutes.  You have to strike the key twice and on
the second one just hold down the key and it should delete the
characters continuously.  I don't like this feature.

Ahmad F. M. Zain

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 17:35:22 EDT
From: Peter Jones <MAINT%UQAM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Kermit for HP Computers (V90 #164)

>From: DUCHOW@UCRAC1.UCR.EDU (John K. Duchowski)
>
>	We have several HP 9000 Series 300 computers which we would like
>to hook up to a Vax 8820 running Vax/VMS.  What I would like to know is
>whether there exists some version of Kermit (preferably PD)

Kermit isn't PD. It's copyrighted, with a waiver that allows copying
under certain conditions. (non-profit use is OK).

From your VAX, you may be able to FTP KERMIT files from the kermit
server: watsun.columbia.edu.
Login anonymous, password <your-name@your-host>

From BITNET, you can send a HELP command to the Kermit server:
KERMSRV@CUVMA .

I have a file called AAVERS.HLP, dated September 1990. It lists HP
versions as follows:

HPB C  HP-9000/200,/300 HP-BASIC   HP BASIC     1.02  89/06/21  A.Campagnola,HP
HP8 C  HP86             HP BASIC   HP BASIC     1.01  87/04/29  Sheffield CP UK
HP8 C  HP87             HP BASIC   HP BASIC     1.01  87/04/29  Sheffield CP UK
HPM D  HP-1000          RTE6,RTEA  F77 & Asm    1.99D 90/01/09  E-Systems Inc
CK  B  HP-9000 S/500    HP-UX 3.25 C            4E 72 89/02/02  Columbia U
CK  B  HP-9836 S/200    HP-UX 200B C            4E 72 89/02/02  Columbia U
CK  B  HP Integral PC   HP-UX      C            4E 72 89/02/02  Columbia U
CP  A  HP-125           CPM80 2.2  LASM         4.09  89/08/31  M.Freeman,BPA
HP3 D  HP-3000          MPE        SPL          2.7   90/07/13  Polaris Inc/GE
ST  D  HP-3000          SoftwTools Ratfor       1n    84/02/18  Ken Poulton
HP9 C  HP-98xx          UCSD p-Sys HP Pascal     -    84/01/20  Rutgers U
HP9 C  HP-9845          BASIC/SAM  HP BASIC     1.00  86/10/07  U of York, UK
MS  A  HP-110           MS-DOS     MASM         2.32A 89/01/24  Los Alamos NL
MS  A  HP Portable Plus MS-DOS     MASM         2.32A 89/01/24  Los Alamos NL
MS  A  HP-150           MS-DOS     MASM         2.32A 89/01/24  Columbia U, USU
HP2 C  HP-264x           -         8080ASM      1.2   87/10/09  J Chandler, SAO

Another file, AAVERS UPD, of about the same vintage, lists:

CK  B  HP-9000 S/500    HP-UX 3.25 C            4E 72 89/02/02  Columbia U
CK  B  HP-9836 S/200    HP-UX 200B C            4E 72 89/02/02  Columbia U
CK  B  HP Integral PC   HP-UX      C            4E 72 89/02/02  Columbia U

Here's what I suggest:

If you don't yet have a version of Kermit running on an HP, download an
HP BASIC version to a nearby PC or Mac. (BASIC files are sent by the
server in ASCII format.) Then, it should be possible to transfer to the
HP. If the machines are side-by-side, there shouldn't be any
transmission errors, providing proper handshaking is observed. It's
much easier to boot-through another PC, than directly from the
mainframe to a new PC.  Of course, if you already have an
error-correcting protocol to get the first version through, then by all
means use it.

Once an HP BASIC version is running in an HP, it can be used to obtain
a) itself, with full error checking, and b) subsequent versions.  Hope
this helps.

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 4:04:12 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: Looking for a utility to split large files

>I am looking for a utility to split files into "mulitiple files".  What
>I want is something that would do something like this:
>
>      MSC51.XXE  ----> 30,000 records
>
>   ----> copy msc51.xxe msc51.xx1 1 10000
>   ----> copy msc51.xxe msc51.xx2 10001 20000
>   ----> copy msc51.xxe msc51.xx3 20001 30000
>
>Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated.  An OS/2 or DOS solution
>would be preferable.

It is interesting that you should use .xxe files as your examples.  I
am the author of one of the xxencoder programs, and I intend to provide
this feature in the future.

Meanwhile, there are lots of options.  If you are doing this so that
you can place the file on separate diskettes, I recommend the PCOPY
utility, available from simtel20 and wuarchive.  I have used PCOPY by
Norm Patriquin a lot, and it works well.  It is shareware.  I just did
a quick scan of the wuarchive:mirrors/msdos/simibm.lst file for the
string 'split', and found a lot of utilities that perform this
function.

If you have access to a Bourne Shell environment (the Unix 'sh'
command), you can use the 'mailsplit' utility to automagically tar,
compress, uuencode, and mail a list of files and subdirectories.  It
can be adapted to use xxencode with a command-line argument.  This will
probably only work under Unix, unless you do a lot of hacking.

Eventually I hope to make my version of xxencode capable of splitting
files and rejoining them after being receive via email.  -David-

david@wubios.wustl.edu                 ^        Mr. David J. Camp
david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu        < * >      +1 314 382 0584
...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david          v

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 4:17:55 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: Need Recommendations for BBS Software for DOS or Unix

>Will somebody out there let me know which are the best BBS software.
>Please send me infomation on the features and how to get it.
>
>My basic requirement it able connect by two modem users and a console
>operator.  Search function such as subject, and name search are basic
>requirement.  The software may run in either DOS or UNIX.
>
>Thank you in advance.
>Luther

I have no experience with these, but I know how to get them.  I have
heard good things about something called RBBS, but I have never used it
as a sysadmin.

Anyway, there is an entire BBS subdirectory on the simtel20 archives.
You can access it at wuarchive (128.252.135.4) via anonymous ftp.  It
is in the subdirectory mirrors/msdos/bbs.  If you do not have ftp
access, you can use the bitftp@pucc.bitnet email server to do ftp
requests in your behalf.

I also checked the comp.sources.unix index, and see two BBS systems
listed there.  They can be found in

    wuarchive:usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume13/sbbs/*
and
    wuarchive:usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume4/unaxcess/*

Doing a grep for BBS information in my 'sites' list, I get these:

grape.ecs.clarkson.edu	128.153.13.196	Opus BBS, msdos, graphics, lots
hotel.cis.ksu.edu	129.130.10.12	XBBS, msdos, U3G toolkit, unix-pc,
    pd-modula
subcomm.bacs.indiana.edu	129.79.16.32	A86/D86 Shareware Assembler,
    file listings of IU PC-Link Central BBS
tmc.edu	128.249.1.1	FUBBS bbs list
uafcseg.uark.edu	130.184.64.202	(login bbs. telnetable)

Anyway, I have no experience with any of these systems, but am only
providing the information I have available.  -David-

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 4:54:59 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: switch caps & control (fwd)

>I'm looking for a patch to switch the caps and control keys on a Dell
>386 pc. please help.

You can do this an much, much more with Fansi-Console from Hersey Micro
Consulting.  This program is an ANSI.SYS replacement.  It provides
everything that ansi.sys does, but also most of the ansi escape
sequences, plus many DEC-proprietary codes.  It has a built-in keyboard
buffer extender, so you are not limited to 15 characters of type-ahead.
It is known to handle repeated keystrokes better than without it.

I have used a special keyboard that would crash the PC when it repeated
too fast, except when using FC.  The best feature is the scroll buffer,
which saves the data which has scrolled off of the screen.  It is
easily recalled using Pause and PgUp, PgDn to scroll.  It reconfigures
the Pause key to work as both Pause and UnPause, which is the way it
should have worked all along.

It can use the ScrollLock key if Pause is not available.  It is known
to move data to the screen faster than ansi.sys or raw Dos, and solves
the snow problem that is present on some monitors.  It allows
reprogramming of the screen colors and keyboard.  It can force your VGA
to behave like an EGA (i.e. use 43 lines instead of 50) if you want it.

The benefits go on and on (actually I ran out of memories to report
:-).  I have no relationship with Hersey Micro Consulting other than a
satisfied customer.  -David-

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 11:01
From: "Christoph Baumhof" <UA21%DKAUNI2.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Dial tone modem

Hello, you PC gurus.

First, let me thank all who responded to my question concerning WD's
address. Here is what I've got:

      Western Digital Corporation
      2445 McCabe Way
      Irvine, California 92714
      800-847-6181  714-863-0102
      FAX 714-660-4909  TLX 910-595-1139

There's a BBS at 714-756-8176 where you can download some documentation
and utility programs, and there's an automated technical support system
at 800-832-4778.

I've also got a phone and a fax number of a WD subsidiary in U.K.:

      phone +44 3727 42955
      fax   +44 3727 26022

Now for my next question: Are there any modems that are able to decode
the dial tones from a telephone? I think of an unit that I would
connect to my computer and that, when called, would transmit the
corresponding characters (0-9, #, *) to the incoming tones to the
computer.  If anyone knows of such a modem, or has experience using it,
please let me know.

Christoph.
E-mail: ua21@dkauni2.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 19:24:23 EDT
From: sjb@cs.toronto.edu (Stephen Bellantoni)
Subject: Disk de-fragmenter wanted

Does anyone know an ftp site for a hard disk de-fragmenter that works
well on a variety of 42M disks? I have tried DOG and REFORM from
wuarchive but they do nothing for me (disk type 0 unknown).

stephen

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 20:14:37 EST
From: Jimmy Law <PHYJLAW@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Increase PS/2 Hard Disk Size to 300mb

Info wanted:  I have a PS/2 model 70-121. It is the 20Mhz one with a
120MB ESDI hard disk.  I would like to increase the disk size, either
adding another disk in (maybe in the second floppy bay) or replace the
120 MB drive with a larger one.  Total disk space should be 300MB or
more.  Any help would be appreciated.

Jimmy Law
Physics Dept
University of Guelph
Guelph
Ont Canada.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 01:32:00 +0200
From: GILF%HUJIVMS.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: Modem Problem

Hi PC people.

I have installed an Everex 96/24 Fax/Modem in my computer (AST 286,
40Mb HD, 2 FD, Backup Tape unit, Serial Mouse and an Everex EGA). I
have noticed several strange quirks in my system.

1. The system speed dropped (Norton SI went down from 11.2 to 7.5).

2. The computer hangs every once in awhile. Mainly when I use Desqview.

3. The screen (AST EGA), vibrates once in awhile (This problem seems to
be related to the monitors cable, but...)

4. once in awhile, the computer doesn't boot. I get a blank screen, and
drive A: light is on no matter if a disk is inserted or not.  All those
symptoms seem to point at an interrupts or memory address conflict. I
have Quarterdecks' Manifest and QRAM, but I'm unable to figure where to
find them.

Any help of comment will be appreciated.

Gil (HCUFE@HUJIVM1.BITNET)
 or (GILF@HUJIVMS.BITNET)
 or (GILF@VMS.HUJI.AC.IL)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 11:49:35 CET
From: From Mc Black <asqexkz203@zweibrucken-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: PCX picture in Turbo C 2.0

Hello, I have written an Application in Turbo C 2.0 and want to put a
picture (from Paint Brush PCX format) inside the program. Does someone
know a routine tha does this or how i can put it inside the source.

gez.
   Mc Black

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 15:32:56 MEZ
From: "Martin J. Hepperle" <PACP%DS0RUS1I.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Windows 3.0 on HP-Vectra RS/20

Hi there,

I am using Windows since Version 1.03 and have upgraded from 386/2.11
to Windows 3.0. I think it is a big step in the right direction, but I
have got some problems with my configuration.

I am using a HP Vectra RS/20 (not RS/20C) with two ESDI 100MB disks, 10
MB of RAM, ATI-Super VGA with 512kB, 16bit.  I am able to run Windows
3.0 in real mode and in standard mode, but NOT in 386 enhanced mode.

Each time I try to start win /3 or win386.exe i get the error message:
"ERROR: unsupported DOS version" (translated from german version).
This message appears after the Windows 3.0 Banner has been displayed
and after some seconds of loading from disk.

I have tried:
MS-DOS 4.01, disks partitioned each 100 MB in one partition
PC-DOS 4.0, same as above
MS-DOS 3.3, only one disk, partitioned at 3x32MB
All possible setup configurations...

- I was unable to get any other result than "ERROR: ..." I cannot
believe that the DOS-version is the problem, but I have no idea what
the problem is.

     Has anyone Windows 3.0 running on his Vectra RS/20 in enhanced
mode?  Could the two  ESDI-Disks be the cause of the error ?  Btw. I
have used the debugging version from the SDK too, but don't like to
disassemble the win386.exe to find the real reason for the failure.

    Ok, 286 protected mode is okay for using Windows applications only
but if you want to compile code or use other DOS programs enhanced mode
seems to be much better...

Thanks for your help,
Martin.

      MARTIN J. HEPPERLE