Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (11/12/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 12 Nov 90       Volume 90 : Issue 178

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                              Batch files.
                              EMS 3.2 -> 4
                   Re: Adding an External Hard Drive
                           MsDos multitasking

Today's Queries:
                         ATMATLAB under Windows
                  Text Oriented Databases info wanted
              Programming a Serial Port with Turbo-Pascal
                   How can I program a EPROM memory?
                             Paradox list?
                            PCjr cartridges
                            PCOutline update
                               SDF21.ZIP
                         WIndows and keyboards

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 16:30:00 N
From: "PETER SCHMITT, INSTMATH,UWIEN" <SCHMITT%AWIRAP.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Batch files.

Recently the question was raised if it is possible to use DOS Batch
Files to prompt for input.

One answer claimed that this is not possible with DOS proper, but only
with some utilities or DOS replacements.  This is not true! Just DOS is
enough.

The following Batch-File demonstrates how it can be done: You need two
files DO.BAT and DO.DAT: (This is a DOS 3.30 version - obvious
modifications lead to a batch file for lower DOS-versions:
 @echo off ---> echo off
 call      ---> command/c
If you need not return to the batchfile you can of course omit the CALL
entirely.)

DO.BAT: @echo off
        if /==/%1 goto prompt
        :do_job
        echo Your input was: %1 %2 %3 %4
        goto end
        :prompt
        cls
        echo Please type parameter (Terminate with Cntrl-Z and Return!):
        copy con par.dat >nul
        copy do.dat+par.dat do_it.bat >nul
        call do_it
        del do_it.bat
        del par.dat
        :end
        ^Z [terminates *with* CR/LF <Cntrl-Z>]
DO.DAT: call do ^Z  [terminates with <space> - <Cntrl-Z> *no* CR/LF!]

If you run this batchfile without any parameter you will be asked to
supply at least one. Otherwise the command is executed using the
paramaeters on the commandline.

There must exist a file containing only the command to call this
batchfile and a space. It must not contain a CR/LF because the
parameters have to be added on the same line.

Note: If DO.BAT does not end with an CR/LF after the end this causes
problems (the reaction is different depending on der DOS-Version).

Peter Schmitt                            Institut fuer Mathematik
                                         Universitaet Wien
                                          A-1090 Wien Austria

------------------------------

Date: 23 Oct 1990 09:44:57 EST
From: DEVRIES@NAUVAX.UCC.NAU.EDU
Subject: EMS 3.2 -> 4

Your original board vendor should probably have a driver for EMS4.0 or
ther was one in PC Magazine awhile back, but either way they only
simulate EMS4.0.  This is not the same thing as a hardware compatible
EMS4.0 board.

This inconsistency shows up when you are trying to use things like QRam
(from QuarterDeck Office Systems) to load programs into the holes in
the memory between 640K and 1mb.  Even though you are using an EMS4.0
driver, such a program will fail because the underlying hardware is not
EMS4.0.

The bottom line is that if you really need EMS4.0, get and EMS4.0
board.

Ernie DeVries
Academic/Personal
  Computer Services
Northern Arizona University

------------------------------

Date: 23 October 1990 22:13:27 CDT
From: "Darius Vaskelis" <U39648@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Re: Adding an External Hard Drive

> I need information on adding an external hard disk drive to an IBM 50Z.
> I am in terested in an 80-120Mbyte disk drive using an SCSI controller.
> Does anyone hav e knoweldge of a good drive and controller combination?

Actually, the BEST SCSI controller available for MicroChannel machines
is probably IBM's own.

Part # 6451005, MicroChannel SCSI Adapter, bus mastering 16-bit
controller (works in 32-bit slots too) with 8.3M/sec data transfer
rate.

Part # 6451018, MicroChannel SCSI Adapter with Cache, bus mastering
32-bit controller (works in 16-bit slots too) with a 16.7M/sec data
transfer rate.

If you buy through an education reseller, the 16-bit version of the
card should be a tick under $300.  Unfortunately, IBM's SCSI drives
just won't fit in a 50/50Z/70 case... you'll need to get a third party
drive.

As for third party controllers:

PACSTOR INC. (408-395-8637) : nasty multi SCSI drive arrays... big $

Procom Technology, Inc. (714-549-9449):
      all sorts of SCSI drives and adapters from 20M to 1.3G

Storage Dimensions (408-879-9330) : large SCSI subsystems

Future Domain (?) : SCSI adapter

- Darius

  BITNET: U39648@UICVM              |      "Don't set fire to strangers."
Internet: u39648@uicvm.uic.edu      |      - Mr. Zarniwoop

------------------------------

Date: 23 Oct 90 16:37:04 GMT
From: gwni@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (G. Wayne Nichols)
Subject: MsDos multitasking..

>Thomas has summed it up neatly. OS/2 (yes, half an OS) looks nice, but
>it crawls on anything except a 386/486 at 33MHz+ with 8Mb memory, fast
>bus and 100Mb disk. Believe me, I tried it: it has some lovely
>facilities but it's aimed at very rich institutions with "buy IBM only"
>policies. The rest of us have to make do with Windows 3 or DesqView.

>Windows 3 is excellent, a real improvement on W2, but it also is very

Peter is obviously exaggerating.  I have used Compaq OS/2 1.1 (a
"Standard Edition") on a Compaq 386/20 with "only" 4 MB of memory (and
less than a 100MB disk, too).  Performance was quite acceptable.  This
may be close the the minimum reasonable configuration, however.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 01:31:53 EDT
From: Charles Holden Winstead <winstead@faraday.ece.cmu.edu>
Subject: ATMATLAB under Windows

I am using ATMATLAB and am trying to get it to work under Windows 3.  I
can run PCMATLAB, but when I run ATMATLAB the machine reboots (even to
the point of rerunning the memory tests!)

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

-Chuck Winstead

winstead@faraday.ece.cmu.edu

Carnegie Mellon - Pittsburgh, Pa.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 17:45:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Lili Velez <lv08+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Text Oriented Databases info wanted

I need a good database program to keep track of articles I've read,
students I've interviewed (and the types of information they give me),
and various other bits of information which are currently scattered
through my life.

Some qualifications:
    Should be relatively easy to learn (I've never used one before)
    My system is a Compaq 386S
    I'd like to avoid Windows (saving up for Desqview)
    If i could transport info between DOS and Macintosh formats, it
would be very helpful.

Thanks for your advice,

Lili
lv08@andrew.cmu.edu        lv08@andrew.cmu.edu.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 02:49:55 CET
From: Enrico Giakas <GKS93660@DOSUNI1.bitnet>
Subject: Programming a Serial Port with Turbo-Pascal

I've got a problem programming the serial port under Turbo Pascal
(nobody knew if there is a list for Turbo so I send the question to
this list).  I want to assign the serial Port (9600 Baud,no parity,8
bit 1 stopbit) to a file.If i try ASSIGN(f,'COM1') i can't write.I saw
a program with ASSIGNCOM(f,1,1,96,0,8,1). This command came from a unit
_COMOUT. Where can I get this ? Or how can I do it my own. Using the
ASSIGNAUX from the manual didn't work (with parameter $e3).I think i
have to rewrite the Unit AuxInOut and/or the definition of Text. But
how ???

I don't know if this is important: there is measuring equipment
connected to COM1. It's able to receive commands byte by byte.(The
equipment works with a demoprogram).

A second question: I want a printed protocol from a normal DOS session.
If I use CTRL-P it's directed to PRN: but I want it to go to LPT1: I
don't want to redirect the Output because I can't see my writing on the
screen.

I think the second one is easier
Thanx in advance
Enrico

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 18:41:00 +0200
From: Ramon Jesus Garcia <Rgarcia%ETSIIG.UNIOVI.ES@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: How can I program a EPROM memory?

Hi networkers:

I've a ROM memory expansion card, using a 2764 EPROM memory, and I'm
interested on loading some programs in the EPROM memory, but I don't
know the way to do it.

I'm already able to use the EPROM programmer device, but I need to know
how to organize the code in the EPROM, such as the header program, and
so on.

Would you please send me the instructions and some practical example?

Ramon J. Garcia Rodriguez                 PSI:    PSI%(02145)285060338::RAMON
E.T.S.I. Ingenieros Industriales          E-Mail: Rgarcia@etsiig.uniovi.es
Area de Lenguajes y Sistemas Informaticos HEPNET: ramon@16515.decnet.cern.ch
Universidad de Oviedo                             EASTVC::RAMON (16.131)
Carretera de Castiello S/N                Phone:  (..34-85) - 182048
E-33394 Gijon - Asturias Spain            Fax:    (..34-85) - 338538

------------------------------

Date: 23 Oct 1990 09:54:25 EST
From: DEVRIES@NAUVAX.UCC.NAU.EDU
Subject: Paradox list?

Does anyone know if there is a Paradox users list out there anywhere?  If
so, how do you subscribe to it?

Date: 23 Oct 90 20:34:55 GMT
From: arh@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Eric B)
Subject: PCjr cartridges

   Ok, I know the machine is a hunk-o-junk BUT...

   My parents still want to use my PCjr back home.  Does anyone have
information on where to get those cartridges?  Specifically Lotus 123,
maybe some games.  Please send me mail on this, I don't keep up on pc's
like I should.

            thanks,

            Eric G. Bolinger  8-)
            arh@sage.cc.purdue.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  23 Oct 90 16:38:24 +0200
From: <KDBG100%BGUNOS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: PCOutline update

Pat Bauco asks about newwer versions of PCO, mouse support and the
like.  Well, I do not know about the shareware version, but You should
know that PCO begat GrandView (sold by Symantec) which is, among other
things a vastly improve outliner, very much mouse based. I am using the
first version, but version 2 has now come out too.

David Leiser
Ben-Gurion Univ. Israel

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 1990 12:26:37 CDT
From: "H. Alan Montgomery" <FHD%TAMCBA.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: SDF21.ZIP

I am on a IBM4361 CMS/VM/HPO v5. system. I got onto SIMTEL20 using ftp.
I got SDF21.ZIP from pd1:<msdos.dskutl>. Then using KERMIT v3.0 I tried
to download it.  I got a disk error. I thought it  was  my  floppy. I
tried three floppies each time this file got to 76% and then a disk
I/O  error occurred. When you have eliminated all the possibilities
that make  sense you look at the unlikely. An IBM 3380 mainframe disk
does not go  bad. So I used the XEDIT to try to look at it.  XEDIT gave
me  the  same  message (DMSXIN104S which means that you should release
the  disk  and  reaccess it). I thought Hey! It got corrupted. So I got
onto ftp and got the  same file again and invoked KERMIT and it started
and then dies at the 76%  of the download done.

Conclusion: Something in the file is interpreted by CMS to mean that
the CMS disk is bad.  I think the new PKZIP v1.02 has  a  bug. I  also
tried downloading DOTS151.ZIP from pd1:<msdos.graph> and got  the  same
error.  Note that both KERMIT and XEDIT said the CMS disk was bad. Any
comments?

[Alan later sent this note in that showed that even BIG computers have
hardware problems.]

From: "H. Alan Montgomery" <FHD%TAMCBA.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Ooops. The disk was wrong not the file

I seem to be wrong about the SDF21.ZIP file. I initially thought that
it had some kind of character string that CMS thought was a bad
sector  on the IBM3380 disk. It turns out there IS a bad sector on this
pack. I will cover up the sector with a file and re-pull the  file  and
download  it.  Sorry,   but I just could not believe  it  was  a
hardware  error  on  a mainframe.

[The last PKZIP released on the net was PKZ110EU.EXE.  You MIGHT
have a file that PKZIP V1.02 can't interpret.

Try requesting file PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER>PKZ110EU.EXE to update your
ZIP Program.  Remember: This program IS shareware and if you
use if regularly, you're supposed to 'register' it.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 00:38:34 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: WIndows and keyboards

Under plain DOS I am using my keyboard driver which works flawlessly
and essentially is a US keyboard with umlauts on the german places, but
accessible only with Alt.  Now I installed Windows 3 with the US and
non US keyboard.  with this keyboard the Alt-xxx (xxx onm the numerical
keyboard) works, but my driver does not work any more.  Does anybody
know a way of customizing keyboard layouts under WIndows 3?

(my keyboard driver is from the book Sargent, Shoemaker, the IBM PC
from the inside out)

ERICH NEUWIRTH
BITNET (EARN): A4422DAB@AWIUNI11
INTERNET:      a4422dab@Helios.EDVZ.UniVie.AC.AT
Intitute for Statistics and Computer Science
UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA, UNIVERSITAETSSTR. 5/9, A-1010 VIENNA, AUSTRIA

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #178
-------