Today's Queries:
                        32 bit fortran compiler.
                            Desqview & Brief
               Access to the server at ccvax.cc.ncsu.edu
              Funcky Clipper Library by DLesko Associates
                    IBM Keyboard Code for Shift key
                            PC Brand Inquiry
                          PC Tracking Software
                         windows and keyboards

New Uploads:
        BatchFTP v1.02 for BSD Unix now available from SIMTEL20

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 90 11:04:34 GMT
From: NIZARD Alain-F <NIZARD%FRBDX11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #169 expand option

There is a way to convert ExTENded memory to ExPANded and to use it.
On my AT clone I use the EMS40.SYS driver in the config.sys with the
line DEVICE=C:\EMS40.SYS 1940

And all of my 1940Kb of Extended memory is now converted to LIMS/EMS
V4.0 (I can use it from LOTUS123).

The EMS40.ZIP (or ARC i dont remember) is available from simtel in
MSDOS.SYSUTL Good luck, Alain.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 90 12:14 EST
From: DULING%NIEHS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: reply to Dr. john duchowski

I also have a few hp9000-3x0 series computers and have done the same
thing.  Since you are looking for a file transfer mechanism i assume
you are running the pascal or basic operating systems rather than the
alternative, unix.  for systems running the rocky mountain basic (RMB)
or pascal os you can get a vt terminal emulation program from non-hp
vendors.  you can find them in the hp technical software catalog, which
is a must have for anyone using hp equip.  also, your 9000-330 and
above cpus have an ethernet port on the back and you can get tcp/ip
packages for any hp os ( i have not tried this ).  good luck

--- Dave duling, nih, niehs.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 90 17:33:58 EST
From: Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: Trojan Warning: SCANV70

I received the following via the DESQview echo on Fidonet.

	Ralf

From: Don Reid
To: All
Subject: TROJAN WARNING
Date: 28 Oct 90 15:37:00

I am passing the following message on for your consideration.

Date: 10-22-90 (10:10)           Number: 10260            Patriquin's BB
  To: ALL                        Refer#: NONE
From: KIM MARTIN                   Read: YES
Subj: NEW TROJAN DETECTED !!       Conf: (0) Main Board

Dear Telecommunicators,

I recently received a file called SCANV70.ZIP on The Library! BBS. This
file contains a trojan that is not detectable by the current version of
McAffees Scan program (SCANV67C.ZIP). This trojan will take out your
entire file system. I verified with McAffees bulletin board that the
most current scan was SCANV67C.ZIP. The next available release will not
be out until mid-november according to his board. I also, verified that
SCANV70.ZIP contained a trojan and that he is aware of it. Please avoid
using SCANV70 or passing it around as there is no defense for it.  The
file was uploaded under a false logon. I've talked to the person whose
name it was uploaded in and he swears it wasn't him. (People, please
change your passwords and make them unique by bbs.)

Sincerely,

Kim Martin, The Library! BBS

---
 * Origin: Recovery BBS - San Francisco - (415) 255-2188 *HST* (1:125/9)

------------------------------

Date: Tue 30 Oct 90 18:06:28-EST
From: BRIAN CHIPMAN <CHIPMAN-B@OSU-20.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU>
Subject: USING A PS/2 20 MEG DRIVE IN A CLONE

SOMEONE IS WILLING TO GIVE ME THEIR OLD 20 MEG DRIVE FROM A PS/2, THE
PROBLEM IS THAT IBM IS USING A DRIVE THAT IS DIFFERENT THEN THE ONES I
HAVE USED IN THE PAST. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT TYPE OF CONTROLER THEY ARE
USING AND IF HTE CONNECTOR PINOUT IS DIFFERENT THEN THE STANDARD PINOUT
FOR THE DRIVE, WHAT IS THE PINOUT FOR THE DRIVE.

THANKS
BRIAN CHIPMAN

BRIAN CHIPMAN
THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY
RM #236 RAMSEYER HALL
29 WEST WOODRUFF AVE.
COLUMBUS OHIO  43210
OSU:   (614) 299-4872
HOME:  (614) 292-4085
EMAIL: CHIPMAN-B@OSU-20.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 90 12:37 EST
From: DULING%NIEHS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: 32 bit fortran compiler.

help.  i'm looking for a good f77 and vms level compiler for dos with a
32 bit mode and advice on using it.  i have the microsoft compiler
which only has a 16 bit 286 mode.  32 bit mode compilers seem to cost
around $1000.  are there any relatively low cost ones and are they as
usable ?  does anyone reading this have experience with these products
?  Do they usually include virtual memory access ?  would it be
reasonable to buy os/2 for $250 and live with 16 bit speed and 16 MB
memory ?

--- dave duling   nih, hiehs

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 90 10:11:35 EST
From: Michael Friendly <FRIENDLY%YORKVM1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Desqview & Brief

I've recently gotten a 386 machine & have run into problems running the
Brief editor (v3.0) under Desqview (2.2).

I usually run Brief in 50-line VGA mode with the command line parameter
  -Dega

When I exit Brief called directly in this way, the display returns to
my normal 25 lines.  I let Desqview install Brief with all its
defaults, resulting in the parameters

  -p -Dview

being passed to Brief.

The problem is that once I invoke Brief, Desqview gets stuck in 50
lines for everything else, even when I exit Brief. The Brief window
however is just half a screen, 25 (small) lines.

Changing the default Desqview parameters for the size of the Brief
window to 50x80 gives me a full 50-line screen for Brief, but Desqview
still gets stuck in 50 lines for other applications.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? How can it be fixed?  Please
reply directly, as I don't subscribe directly to IBMPC-L.

  -- Snail Mail --           ** E-mail, in decreasing Prob{response} **
Michael Friendly             BITNET:    FRIENDLY@YORKVM1
Psychology Department        INTERNET:  FRIENDLY@VM1.YorkU.CA
York University              UUCP:      friendly@yunexus.yorku.ca
Toronto ONT
CANADA  M3J 1P3              Voice: (416) 736-5118 x66249
                             Fax:   (416) 736-5814

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 30 Oct 90 18:24:28 IST
From:         "Jacques J. Goldberg" <PHR00JG@TECHNION>
Subject:      Access to the server at ccvax.cc.ncsu.edu

A recent message quoted an username    public    for that server.
Which is the associated password? I tried and failed with none, public,
anonymous, and my own id.  JJG

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 31 Oct 90 11:47:43 SET
From:         David Lanari <DAVID@IPGUNIV>
Subject:      Funcky Clipper Library by DLesko Associates

I have downloaded from Simtel Funcky Library by DLesko Ass., and I
would like to get source program but after looking into documentation I
haven't found its address.  Can anyone help me ?  Thanks in advance.

David Lanari
Centro di Calcolo Elettronico
Universita' degli Studi di Perugia
Italia
E-Mail : DAVID @ IPGUNIV
or       LANARI @ IPGUNIV

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 90 22:23:00 PST
From: sulistio@sutro.SFSU.EDU (Sulistio Muljadi)
Subject: IBM Keyboard Code for Shift key

Hi
Could anyone please provide me some information on detecting the shift
code being pressed?  I have been looking for the code for shift key,
but no luck.  If there is no code, could anyone send me a function to
detect it?  I am using Turbo C 2.0.  Thank you.

Mul.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 90 3:04:23 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: PC Brand Inquiry

I have noticed after scanning numerous ads in Computer Shopper
magazine, that one brand of PC is signifigantly less expensive that
other brands.  That is the "PC Brand" brand.

This is a request for anyone with experience with these computers to
send me any information about them, including gripes, anecdotes,
praise, thorough analysis, etc.  I will summarize to the list.

Thanks,  -David-

david@wubios.wustl.edu                 ^        Mr. David J. Camp
david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu        < * >      +1 314 382 0584
...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david          v

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 90 11:11:04 MST
From: rtravsky@CORRAL.UWyo.Edu (Richard W Travsky)
Subject: PC Tracking Software

I have found two packages that perform PC tracking (inventory,
maintenance, etc.).  One is called Micro Resource Manager from Computer
Associates,  the other is PC Tracker from RG Software.

Is anyone aware of any others?  Anyone have any experience(s) with the
above two packages?  Please reply directly to me as I am not on this
list.  Thanks!

Richard Travsky                        Bitnet:   RTRAVSKY @ UWYO
Division of Information Technology     Internet: RTRAVSKY @ CORRAL.UWYO.EDU
University of Wyoming                  (303) 766 - 3663 / 3668

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 90 15:51:27 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: windows and keyboards

This is a question to the MSDOS and Windows gurus.  I have a cusomized
keyboard driver.  It installs its own interrupt 9 routive via int 21h
function 25h.  I want to install this (or a similar) driver under
windows.

When the drives is istalled under windows directly it does not work,
but when I open a DOS window from program manager and main and has been
installed before Windows it works.  Is there a way to leave this driver
active while in windows?  In case you want to know:

I want a US keyboard with the additional German characters, but NOT a
German keyboard layout, therefore I am using this driver.  Is there a
keyboard redefinition utility for windows available?

ERICH NEUWIRTH
BITNET (EARN): A4422DAB@AWIUNI11
INTERNET:      a4422dab@Helios.EDVZ.UniVie.AC.AT
Intitute for Statistics and Computer Science
UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA, UNIVERSITAETSSTR. 5/9, A-1010 VIENNA, AUSTRIA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 1990  14:06 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: BatchFTP v1.02 for BSD Unix now available from SIMTEL20

The following program is being announced here because it will assist
users who have access to SIMTEL20 from BSD Unix hosts on the Internet.

Now available via anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20:

Directory pd3:<misc.unix>
BATCHFTP102.TAR-Z

BatchFTP (v1.02) is a very useful BSD Unix program to automate
connections to anonymous ftp sites.  The program can be run as a
background process while the user does other work or logs out.

Rename the file to batchftp.tar.Z, uncompress, and extract with tar.
See the doc file for directions on how to compile and use the program.

Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or     w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Uucp: uunet!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz              BITNET: w8sdz@OAKLAND

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #182
-------