Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (11/15/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 15 Nov 90       Volume 90 : Issue 184

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                             PKUNZIP answer

Today's Queries:
                      Computer Inventory Tracking
           Determining CPU type w/out Protected Mode problems
                   disk controller for IBM PC needed.
                     Bar code generation software.
              NetBIOS over Sockets, Any body know how????
                               OS-9 discs
                      RFA: software for librarians
                Using C with Clipper --> MIX C Compiler
                WPG (Word Perfect Graphics) file viewer

New Uploads:
            Telix v3.12 bug-fix release uploaded to SIMTEL20

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 90 18:22 CST
From: JACK RUPERT <2634RUPERTJ%MUCSD.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: PKUNZIP answer

In a recent issue of the Digest, someone was saying that he tried to
use PKUNZIP but kept getting a message saying that it doesn't know how
to handle the file.  This is usually caused by using the old version of
PKUNZIP when the file was "packed" with the new one.

Jack Rupert
Electrical Engineering
Marquette University

------------------------------

Date: 05 Nov 90 13:49:25 EST
From: BHUNTINGTON@bat.bates.edu
Subject: Computer Inventory Tracking

As a college computing center, with all the problems of buying,
selling, stocking, inventory and tracking computer hardware and
software, we seek the following:

Software which will do inventory, both stock and kitted (bundled as a
group of items under one identity number).  This software must allow
serialization of items as well as tag number tracking.  In addition, we
would like it to print purchase orders and allow received items to be
added to inventory directly through the P.O./receiving steps.  It is
necessary that 'point and shoot' input be allowed in order to keep
typing errors at a minimum.  Of course, all the other
'inventory/purchasing/receiving' criteria apply---vendor files, cost
centers, etc.

Of major importance, too, is our need for software which can be used on
a network, and which may be interfaced with an accounting system (which
might be a part of the software or some proven database engine).

We have looked, already, at Micro Resource Manager by Computer
Associates; CATS, by Bendata; and the Vycor inventory system.

I believe that other colleges and universities share these same
problems and already may have solved them.  The identity of any such
described software or suggestions would be appreciated at the return
message address noted.

Sincerely,
R. Bruce Huntington
BHuntington@Bat.Bates.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 90 11:53 PST
From: DLEWIS%SCU.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: Determining CPU type w/out Protected Mode problems

I've seen a few pieces of source code that try to determine the CPU
type, i.e., 8088, 8086, 286, etc.  However, every piece of code I've
seen fails to work reliably if the CPU is a 286 or better *AND* is in
protected mode at the time that the test is applied.

For example, the usual test for 286 vs 386 is to try to set most
significant bits of the flags register.  This distinguishes these two
CPU's because you can set these bits from real mode on a 386, but not
on a 286.  But the bug is that you *CAN* set these bits under protected
mode of the 286!

I'd very much like to know if it's possible to determine CPU type
*WITHOUT* worrying about whether the cpu is in protected mode or not.

Another distinguishing test that depends on protected mode is used to
distinguish a 386 from a 386sx.  This can be done independent of mode
by doing a simple bus bandwidth test.  I.e., do a REP LODSW (on about
512 words), and the ratio of time for odd addresses to even addresses
will be predictably different on a 386 versus a 386sx.  And you do
*NOT* need to use the 32-bit version of LODSW to do this!

Am I shooting for the moon here, or does anyone know if a
mode-independent determination of CPU type is possible?

Thanks!
Dan Lewis
EECS Department
Santa Clara University      (408) 554-4449
Santa Clara, Ca 95053       E-Mail: DLEWIS@SCU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Nov 90 09:30:00 EDT
From: Herbert Lin <HLIN%NAS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: disk controller for IBM PC needed.

I'm still running on an original IBM PC chassis.  I need a disk
controller that will control two hard drives (Seagate ST-225, MFM) AND
two floppies.  I also understand (am I correct?) that a "16-bit"
controller board suitable for AT-class computers won't work.  (But if
that's true, how can there be boards that are advertised to work on any
PC/XT/AT machine?)

Any suggestions?

thanks.
Herb Lin
HLIN@NAS (from Bitnet)
HLIN%NAS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (from Internet)

------------------------------

Date:         Sun, 04 Nov 90 22:30:32 IST
From:         "Jacques J. Goldberg" <PHR00JG@TECHNION>
Subject:      Bar code generation software.

I know I have seen P.D. software creating bar codes, who can give me a
pointer?

                                               Thanks

                                     phr00jg@technion.technion.ac.il
                                  or golws@cernvm.cern.ch

------------------------------

Date: 6 Nov 90 17:05:38 GMT
From: shama@hera.sbi.com (Shimon Shama)
Subject: NetBIOS over Sockets, Any body know how????

	Does any body know if you can communicate a NetBIOS protocol over
unix sockets?? (specifically from SUNOS 4.*.*)

	Maybe a third party product??
	thank you all!! (ahead of time)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 15:15:55 GMT
From: Stuart Lea <sl@nabla.electrical-engineering.umist.ac.uk>
Subject: OS-9 discs

Does anyone know of any software (preferably PD) which will allow PC's
to read discs formatted on an OS-9/68000 system.

I work at home on a PC and this would help me no end as at the moment I
have to kermit data from a PC to my OS-9 every day causing hassle to
the person who's PC it is !

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 1990 8:20:56 CST
From: Werner Uhrig <werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu>
Subject: RFA: software for librarians

		Request for Advice

A friend asked me to help him help a friend ... (you know how it goes:
fame!:-)

anyway, he received a request for public domain software from
Czeckoslovakia from a library/librarian who has a PC-clone (is what I
understand); he wants to created a database and cross-reference index
of his inventory.

I'd appreciate any pointers to appropriate software to gather for him,
both PD as well as non-PD (a charitable sponsor might be found in the
local extended family)

I'd appreciate if replies would be sent to me by email (also) as it is
quite possible not all traffic reaches the local news-machines...

				Thanks,		---Werner

werner@cs.utexas.edu / werner@astro.as.utexas.edu / werner@UTA3081.bitnet
UUCP:     uunet!cs.utexas.edu!werner   OR  ...!utastro!werner

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Nov 90 07:27:23 EST
From: Joel Saunders <RJFS%SNYCENVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Using C with Clipper --> MIX C Compiler

I'm just getting familiar with the C language.  I would like to test
the integration of C in Clipper programs.  I purchased the POWER C
Compiler from MIX because:

  The compiler/debugger combo only cost me about $50.  It contains a
superset of functions that Turbo and Microsoft contain.  It supports
the large memory model (Required by Clipper to work||)

Well, everything was going smoothly.  I finished the tutorial with only
a few bruises, and was ready to try my first Clipper test.

Ba'am --- a problem.   The POWERC C compiler compiles source to a file
in their object format .MIX.  To integrate these routines with Clipper,
the object files must be in .OBJ format.  I called MIX and they said
that they currently don't have anyway to do this.

  Well, has anyone had this problem??  Has anyone developed a way to
convert .MIX to .OBJ.???

Please don't respond with: BUY TURBO or MICROSOFT.  As I said, I just
wanted to do some testing and didn't really want to throw a lot of
money at it right now.

Any response????
Thanks...
JOEL F. SAUNDERS
RESEARCH FOUNDATION OF S.U.N.Y.
SUNY PLAZA - BROADWAY F209
ALBANY, NEW YORK 12246

SPECIAL PROJECTS CONSULTANT

BITNET: RJFS AT SNYCENVM
AT&T  : (518) 434-7200

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Nov 90 14:35:52 CST
From: Jhinuk Chowdhury <FF76%UNTVM1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: WPG (Word Perfect Graphics) file viewer

      Do anyone of you know of a (prefereably shareware or public
domain program) that can be used to view *.WPG files (without having to
load WP5.0 or WP5.1).  The program should run from the command line,
such as WPGVIEWER filename.wpg.  Of course, it would help enormously if
it could list the files, and let the user scroll the cursor through the
names, and choose any of the listed files.

     If you are familiar with V. Buerg's list program, I am looking for
a prgram that will work in the same way as that, except that it should
be able to view *.WPG files.  Or at least, the program could view one
WPG file at a time.  If there are any in the SIMTEL archives, could you
please direct me to them?

     Thanks in advance,

Jhinuk
Bitnet :   FF76@UNTVM1 or FF76@UNTVAX
Internet : FF76@VAXB.ACS.UNT.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 08:34:55 PST
From: Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Telix v3.12 bug-fix release uploaded to SIMTEL20

I've uploaded the current release of Telix, which I obtained from the
Exis BBS this morning, to SIMTEL20.  This release is said to fix
several bugs in the original 3.12 -- including the "save destructive-BS
setting", "scroll-down with 43/50 lines", and "reverse video/clear to
end of line" bugs.

The three files were named TLX312-1.ZIP, TLX312-2.ZIP, and
TLX312-3.ZIP.  The current release is still called "3.12".  For
whatever reason, the Exis people did not want to change the version
number or the ZIP file names in any way.  In fact, they even went so
far as to reset the ZIP file dates to 01-Dec-89 03:12:00, even though
some of the files con- tained therein are dated as late as August.  I
told one of their people on the phone that I thought this was an
ill-advised decision which would lead to much confusion, but such is
life.  You might want to call Exis yourself at (416)289-4641 and tell
them the same.

Keith Petersen has renamed the files and added an "a" suffix to the
version number to avoid confusion with the older release.  They are now
available from SIMTEL20 as:

pd2:<msdos2.telix>
TLX312A1.ZIP    Telix3.12a comm pgm executable & support files
TLX312A2.ZIP    Telix3.12a comm pgm docs/host/scripts/dialconv
TLX312A3.ZIP    Telix3.12a comm pgm. SALT script lang. and doc

All three files were created with the PKZIP "autoverify" option.  I ran
SCAN (67C) on all the files and found no viruses.

The Exis person I spoke with said they were planning to come out with a
"real" new release by the end of this year.

Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU// UCLA Computer Science Department
3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, CA 90024-1596 // +1 (213) 825-5683

A documentation file in the Archive described enhancements made as well
as bugs that were fixed.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #184
-------