Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (11/26/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 26 Nov 90       Volume 90 : Issue 190

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                  Accessing the WSMR-SIMTEL20 Archives
                Re: Apple II/e <--> IBM/PC file tranfers
                  Apple II/e <--> IBM/PC file tranfers
                        EGA (and other) monitors
           Re: Adding hard drives to Model 80 PS/2 (V90 #177)
                 PCX picture in Turbo C 2.0 (V90 #170)
             Re: Availability of PCjr Cartriges (V90 #178)
                    RE: Boy am I Angry.. (V90 #178)
                     Making your TSR's smaller in C
                      Re: Modem Problem (V90 #177)
                       QEMM v5.11 & Windows v3.0
                        VGA cards for XT and AT
                         WordStar 5.5C Problem

Today's Queries:
                   Attaching dummy terminal to an AT
                        Text Retrieval programs
                           VGA documentation

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Mon, 26 Nov 90
From:  Gregory Hicks <ghicks@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject:  Accessing the WSMR-SIMTEL20 Archives

The Simtel20 Archives discussed are available from:
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details
on file directories and descriptions.)  Problems with files obtained
from the Archives should be addressed to:
<ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 and DS0RUS1I (Germany), EB0UB011 (Spain), HEARN (Netherlands),
IMIPOLI (Italy), TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN (Turkey).  SIMTEL20 is
not accessible on the first Wednesday of each month from 6-10pm Eastern
Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most SIMTEL20 MSDOS files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC has multiple lines which
support 300/1200/2400/9600/14400 bps (HST/V.32/V.42/V.42bis/MNP5).
This is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents.
It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via
StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to SIMTEL20 are usually available
on DDC within 24 hours.

    <rjc@math.princeton.edu> operates a mail server that sends, by
return mail, a series of files that answer quite a few of the most
frequently asked questions on the net.  This server will also look up
programs in the SIMTEL20 index, the grape index, and the chyde index.
If you send email to <rjc@math.princeton.edu> with no subject and
containing the single line "help", you will receive instructions;
sending the message "directory" gives you an index of all the files
available on the server.

    A set of files you might be interested in is obtaining are faq.csip
old.questions and faq.more.  These files contain answers to more
frequently asked questions.  To obtain these files, just send the
two-line message:

        path your-return-path-goes-here
        send desired-file

(ie: "send faq.csip", "send old.questions", or "send faq.more")
to rjc@math.princeton.edu.  Of course, replace "your-return-address"
with your actual return address.  UK users please remember to reverse
the JANET path.  DO NOT INCLUDE A SUBJECT LINE FOR THESE MESSAGES.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 1990 09:29 EST
From: Karl Brendel <CDCKAB%EMUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: Apple II/e <--> IBM/PC file tranfers

On Tue, 31 Jul 90 14:45 CST, Gary Lee McDonald <MCDONALD@VAX1.UMKC.EDU>
wrote:

>  We have a clone box for file transfers.  It now has high/low density
>3.5 and 5.25 file transfer capabilities.  We also have hardware/software
>to handle Mac disks.  Now some Apple II/e people are saying "What about
>me??".  I've got a couple of slots if something like the Mac stuff
>exists.  Any suggestions?
>
>  Or I could set a II/e and pc next to each other and use a null modem
>and Kermit on each.  Anyone doing this?

Once upon a time there was an Apple // or //e card for IBMs. I doubt
it's still in production, but you might be able to find one somewhere.
QuadRam sticks in my mind as the manufacturer, but that may be an
hallucination. ;) I also don't know whether it featured a disk
controller, and there's the rub: There is apparently no way to run a //
or //e disk drive from an IBM-type controller.

Null modems are your most likely bet, but I don't think I'd use Kermit.
Use something that's 8-bit specific. If you can find a //e version of
Zmodem, you're set.

 Karl Brendel                                Centers for Disease Control
 Internet: CDCKAB@EMUVM1.BITNET              Epidemiology Program Office
 Bitnet: CDCKAB@EMUVM1                       Atlanta, GA, USA
 ILink/RIME: KARL BRENDEL                    phone 404/639-2709
 CIS  : 73307,3101                           fts       236-2709
 GEnie: K.BRENDEL                            Home of Epi Info 5.0

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 14:53:47 PST
From: raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen)
Subject: Apple II/e <--> IBM/PC file tranfers

In <Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #180> Gary McDonald <MCDONALD@VAX1.UMKC.EDU> asked
for ways to transfer information from an Apple //e to an IBM PC.

From the last time this question was asked (May 1990), the following
replies were made:

    fordke@ingr.com mentions a board called "Trackstar".  He offered to
    email information upon requset.

    drp@vpnet.chi.il.us pointed out that the Central Point Software
    options board lets you read Apple disks, but
    pitonyak@navajo.cis.ohio-state.edu warned that the board supports only
    800K disks.

    Finally, akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu said that Micro Solutions, DeKlab
    Illinios makes two cards, MatchPoint and MatchMaker.  One allows you
    to connect a standard Mac drive to a port on the card, and you can
    then read and write mac disks on a pc. The other is a card that sits
    between the original floppy drive card and the floppy drive, and
    allows the floppy to read and write Apple II disks.

    He also pointed out that Macintoshes with FDHD drives can use AFE
    to convert the data.

My archive of previously-asked questions is publically accessible.
Just send the two-line message

	path your-return-address
	send old.questions

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 21:06:08 -0500
From: gautier@lognet2.hq.aflc.af.mil (Sgt Richard Gautier)
Subject: EGA (and other) monitors

Frank:

  Half-right...  I believe the components  quality  is  the  same
between  the  monitors, but it DOES matter which monitor you buy.  Thhe
resolution is a BIG difference.  A difference you may or may not  be
attuned to, but can end up giving you a head-ache in the end.

  It's all in how the components are put together, and which ones they
use.  I wouldn't have anything against buying a KMART brand monitor if,
when looking at the resolution, scan lines, and other factors,  it  was
comparable to another monitor that I didn't get head-aches while using.

  Usually, however, the cheaper  the  monitor,  the  less  design work,
and less expensive parts went into building it.

Rich

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 21:06:08 -0500
From: stecktf@super.ece.jhu.edu (Tom Steck)
Subject: Re: Adding hard drives to Model 80 PS/2 (V90 #177)

  I have had this problem too.  I have an IBM PS/2 Model 80/ A-041 with
a 44 MB ESDI drive.  A few months ago I added an 80 MB SCSI drive.
This resulted in a total system lock-up when calling Windows 3.0.  The
only thing that has allowed me to run in the 386 mode is creating a
batch file that looks like this:

@ECHO OFF
C:
cd \
path=C:\;C:\DOS;C:\BATCH;C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\WIN.EXE
path=C:\;C:\DOS;C:\BATCH;C:\WINDOWS;F:\MATLAB

	Unfortunately, this only lets me get in and run programs from the
ESDI drive.  Anything that tries to access the SCSI drive, even the
file manager, locks up Windows, although not the entire system (I can
still reboot).  It appears that Windows is overwhelmed by the existence
of the second drive.  Even when I tried changing the address that the
SCSI drive uses and included the statement in the win.ini2? file to
exclude the memory being used by the SCSI drive, the error still
occured.

	In any case, I have at least found a more agreeable solution.  At
least I am able to run in the 386 mode, even if I can't use my SCSI
drive.

	I would be interested in finding a complete solution to this problem.

---Tom---

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 90 13:31:15 +0100
From: bax@tudgw2.tudelft.nl (Jan Adriaan Bax)
Subject: PCX picture in Turbo C 2.0 (V90 #170)

>From: From Mc Black <asqexkz203@zweibrucken-emh2.army.mil>

>Hello, I have written an Application in Turbo C 2.0 and want to put a
>picture (from Paint Brush PCX format) inside the program. Does someone
>know a routine tha does this or how i can put it inside the source.

Try the Borland utility BINOBJ: convert the picture file to an .obj
file with a random public name. Then link the .obj-file into the code
segment of your application and use the (address of the) public name as
pointer to your pcx data.

Arjen Bax.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 11:08:20 EST
From: TIMBUCK@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU
Subject: Re: Availability of PCjr Cartriges (V90 #178)

In Computer Shopper, there are a few dealers who advertise PCjr stuph.
One is Dolphin Computers and another is Computer Reset.  I don't recall
the names of others, but you can pick up an issue of Computer Shopper
and find them.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 90 11:27:27 CST
From: Bill Hayes <IANR012%UNLVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: RE: Boy am I Angry.. (V90 #178)

Several of our users on our IBM PC LAN network recently added CompuAdd
and Northgate clones to their LANs only to find that under MS-DOS 4.01
they cannot see/use/share network printers properly.  Through helpful
folks at a corporate computer center, I learned that the problem really
lies with IFSFUNC.EXE.  When we substituted IBM PC-DOS 4.01 the problem
went away, but the clone manufacturers promised dire consequences if we
told the users to buy PC-DOS 4.01.

Calls to MicroSoft were very frustrating.  Having been used to the
layers of telephone menus which they used, I became furious when I
discovered that they now have a 900 number to handle MS-DOS questions.
Since my university telecommunications system filters out 900 numbers,
I couldn't get to the MS-DOS support line.  After complaining to an MS
sale rep, I finally got to talk to the MS-DOS support line supervisor.
She turned out to be a very nice lady who refered me to a support
engineer.

The support engineer could only tell me that MS was aware of the
problem since April 1990 and that their development staff is "studying
the problem." When pressed if the problem would be fixed in a future
version of DOS the rep told me it was MS policy not to comment on
software development.

I can well appreciate the policy, but can't they say "we're goint to
fix the problem?"  Another SE went so far as to blame IBM(!) since they
had a hand in 4.01's development.  It is really galling to hear a clone
support rep say that MS treats OEMs just as badly as users.  If there
are any MS types out there, would you care to comment?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 90 10:03:27 EST
From: Curt <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Making your TSR's smaller in C

A recent question was from someone who couldn't make a TSR smaller than
64K.  Your main problem is the "near heap".  Even under the small
model, your linker will give the rest of the 64K segment to your near
heap unless you tell it otherwise.  Use Microsoft's EXEMOD and say
EXEMOD /MAX 0.  This tells it to make the maximum size 0, it then will
make it equal to the minimum load size.

One more thing, when you write a TSR, you must in the INT call to DOS
to go resident, tell DOS how much space in paragraphs you want to be
retained.  This is the size of your executable plus the stack and plus
heap space.  Don't think you can get away with no heap space.  Simple C
functions such as printf use heap space and most compilers use heap
space when the startup code is executing.  With Microsoft you will
always end up with 8K of heap space even if you don't want it, though
you can adjust this size by changing a global call _amblksiz.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 90 10:05:32 EST
From: Joe Morris <jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: Modem Problem (V90 #177)

In INFO-IBMPC 90:177 gilf@hujivms.bitnet reports problems with a system
(slow speed, lockups, unable to boot, screen jitter) following the
installation of a new fax card.

The symptoms listed are consistent with a loose connection in the
system, although there are any number of other possible causes.  You
might want to go back into the guts of the unit and reseat every
connector you can find (specifically including those you didn't touch
while installing the fax card).  I've had the same problem with units
in my shop; one symptom which supports the theory is that many of them
run fine once they heat up, but require an extra boot or two in the
morning if they were off overnight.  I haven't seen screen jitter
caused by that, but it's certainly possible.

The symptoms I see are failure during POST (EGA fails to turn off
display raster), hung drive tests (activity light stays on for floppy
or fixed disk), and failures after boot (either hung system or
spontaneous reboot).  When these happen sometimes the CMOS memory dies
as well and the staff goes on a scavenger hunt for the system reference
disk required to reset the configuration data.  Any of this sound
familiar?

Joe Morris

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 20:56:19 EST
From: Rob Ryan <ST802200@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: QEMM v5.11 & Windows v3.0

A while ago, I was inquiring as to how to interface my Windows v3.0
with my QEMM memory manager.  Several people pointed out that
Quarterdeck was offering an upgrade from v5.0 to v5.1.  This latest
release of QEMM was reputed to resolve in incompatibilities between
Windows and QEMM.

Having received my upgrade, it should be noted that QEMM and Windows
are not entirely compatible.  While I can enter Windows and use the 386
enhanced mode (something v5.0 wouldn't do), the system isn't very slick
in its handing of expanded memory.  Specifically, once I ente Windows'
386 enhanced mode I run a program which uses expanded memory, I get a
memory "violation" error message and instructions to reboot my PC.

After alot of debugging and several calls to Quarterdeck and their BBS
I discovered that when Windows enters 386 enhanced mode, it doesn't use
QEMM any more, but rather its own driver.  I've discovered that if I
simply don't load anything into expanded memory before I start Windows,
everything is fine.  Also, if I use HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.SYS instead of
QEMM386.SYS, the problems disappear.

So, for us users that want to use QEMM's LOADHI routines and Windows'
386 enhanced mode, we face a dilemma.  Either we don't use QEMM &
LOADHI, don't use the 386 Enhanced mode of Windows, or just don't load
anything into expanded memory that we might need.  It appears that we
can't have the system recognize both the data stored by EMS prior to
Windows' invocation and the EMS provided by Windows (though Real and
Standard modes don't provide this problem).  QEMM v5.1 (or v5.11) is
still an improvement over v5.0, but it's not the ideal solution.

Just some idle observations from a frustrated QEMM/Windows user.  It
should be noted that Quarterdeck's BBS provides some information for
debugging more serious problems with the interaction between these two
packages, and I can provide it for anyone who's interested.

Robert M. Ryan, ST802200@BROWNVM.BITNET or ST802200@brownvm.brown.edu
Brown University, Providence, RI  02912

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 90 09:29:55 PST
From: 6600arac%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Kenneth Mencher)
Subject: VGA cards for XT and AT

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>I have an 8 bit XT clone right now. I like to get a paperwhite VGA for
>it. In a few months, I'm going to upgrade to a 386sx. If I get the VGA
>card and monitor for my XT now, can I still use the same monitor and
>card later for the 386sx?
>
>I'm pretty sure I can use the same monitor, but what about the card? I
>understand that the 386sx uses 16 bit VGA cards.  Are there VGA cards
>that are interchangeable between 8 and 16 bit computers i.e XT and AT?

There are 8 bit VGA cards that do work on 386sx.. I oughta know, I have
one.  But, whether they'll work on an XT is beyond me.  You might want
to contact your local dealer, and ask him.  I use an STB card, and have
no problems.  Just remember, if you get an 8 bit VGA card, you can't
use Extended VGA--1024 x 768

ARACHNID

------------------------------

Date: 16 Nov 90 07:45:00 EDT
From: "CMSGT LARRY KELLY" <kellyl@v3.hanscom.af.mil>
Subject: WordStar 5.5C Problem

For people with problems with WordStar 5.5C and backspacing, you should
try the KSPEED patch provided with the program. Use WSCHANGE, select
E-Patching, then A-AutoPatching, and then enter the file name
KSPEED.PAT.  Once the patch is complete, back out of WSCHANGE, saving
the changes.  The "why" details are a little foggy but as I remember
WordStar tried to take control of some of the keyboard functions and
that's what causes the "reluctant" backspace.  The patch returns
control to the machine - but don't quote me on that.  All I know for
sure is that it worked for me.

- Larry Kelly

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 19:49 EDT
From: Abhik Biswas <JUTBAAA%IUP.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Attaching dummy terminal to an AT.

Date sent:  15-NOV-1990 19:47:45

Can anyone ever tried using an dummy terminal/s attached to an AT. I
would like to have information about it. Thanks.

      Abhik  Biswas      | InterNet: JUTBAAA@oak.grove.iup.edu
  Indiana University of  |
      Pennsylvania       | Bitnet  : JUTBAAA@IUPOAK
  Indiana, Pennsylvania  |
         U.S.A.          | Snail   : Dont even bother.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 90 07:46:55 EST
From: Joel Saunders <RJFS%SNYCENVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Text Retrieval programs

Hi all!!!

   Just started a project that evaluates the possibility of moving a
mainframe database to the PC and providing text retrieval capabilities.
Please note the following specs:

1)  IBM Mainframe database is a collection of 4-5K documents, referred
to as "PROGRAMS", identified by a 4-digit program number (i.e program 0
has a key of "0000").

2)  There are about 2500 programs (~~10MB of data)

3)  I have successfully brought the programs down to the PC a 1 file,
that has standard mainframe carriage control characters that indicate
how each line should be spaced.

4)  I have written a program on the PC (in Clipper) to expand the
Carriage controls to produce documents that have the same look as the
would if printer by the mainframe.

NOTES:  Initial tests have included:

     1)  Creating 1 PC text file for each program. --> 2500 files in
one subdirectory ---> DOS will put up with this but as you get up there
in the number of files in a directory, DOS gets MUCH slower and slower.

     2)  Creating 1 file that would contain all programs (i.e ONE 10MB
file!!) Separated each program number by a line of pound(#) signs.

     3)  Tinkered around with programs ASKSAM (v4.01) and Magellan.

Whew!!! Enough background...  Now the questions.

     Does anyone have any experience with PC-based text retrieval
systems that will deal with databases of this size and type??

     Any recommendations on programs, storage techniques??

Last NOTE:   We intend to market this database and recommend PC
packages to be used for it's text retrieval.  We're going to have to
deal with distribution (monthly).   Any thoughts on this???

    Please reply directly to me... as it takes a long time for things to get
    into a digest.  I WILL summarize.  I just need the info ASAP!!!

Thanks..... Joel (10/8/16/11)

JOEL F. SAUNDERS
RESEARCH FOUNDATION OF S.U.N.Y.
SUNY PLAZA - BROADWAY F209
ALBANY, NEW YORK 12246

SPECIAL PROJECTS CONSULTANT

BITNET: RJFS AT SNYCENVM
AT&T  : (518) 434-7200

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 12:31:49 EST
From: Paul Colley <pacolley@violet.waterloo.edu>
Subject: VGA documentation

I just purchased a used 386 system with a VGA card, and it is missing
all the video documentation.

I'd like to write some graphics code, can anyone point me to a
reference or Email me specifications on how to use the graphics?

Thanks,

- Paul Colley
  pacolley@violet.waterloo.edu or .ca

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #190