Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (12/10/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 10 Dec 90       Volume 90 : Issue 201

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                        Chinese word processing
          DOS batch quirks and environment variable weirdness.
                         frame grabber software
                     MS-DOS compatible ZIP for UNIX
               Wanted: recommendation of spelling checker
                      Low-level Format with DEBUG

Today's Queries:
                    Problems with Math Chip on an AT
                      Award Bios for 386SX wanted
                            extended memory
                           faking a harddisk
                  IDRISI and other GIS software for PC
                               MAP Assist
                          my keyboard is funny

New Uploads:
             CRLF-2.ZIP and E2A-2.ZIP uploaded to SIMTEL20
        DELUXE2.ZIP - QMail Deluxe mail reader DEMO for Qwikmail
          MS Supplemental Driver Library uploaded to SIMTEL20
     SAMPLE20.ZIP - Digital sound playback/record (with TP5.0 src)

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 09:24 EST
From: Michael Gordon <GORDONM@MAX.CC.DENISON.EDU>
Subject: Chinese word processing

The CCNEL-L list seems to be dedicated especially to Chinese word
processing. One can subscribe through LISTSERV@VGA.BITNET.

				Michael Gordon
				Denison University

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 1:46:30 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: DOS batch quirks and environment variable weirdness.

>After spending a number of times going through trying to figure out
>what went wrong with batch files and several pieces of software that
>used environment variables, I decided to perform some experiments...
>I'm sure that there have been many people who have performed similar
>experiments, but I think that for those who haven't tried them it would
>benefit greatly...

[text deleted]

This was an informative and useful message.  I thought I would add some
comments about additional quirks of Messy Dos.

First, does anyone know the rule for how backslashes (\) are handled?
As near as I can figure, the meaning of a backslash depends on the
context.  If it is followed by a quote (") or backslash (\), it is an
escape character to make that character literal.  Otherwise, it is not
treated specially.  A filename can use either forward slash or
backslash to separate directories in a path, except for the first one
(root), which must be a backslash.  This is because if it were a slash,
it would be interpreted as the beginning of an option.

Next, can anyone guess how many passes are made when interpreting
CONFIG.SYS?  If you guessed one (1), you are wrong.  I have determined
that device= statements always precede install= statements, and shell=
statements always come last.  I am not sure where the specialized
statements like buffers= and files= happen, but I suspect that they are
done first.  When using the MsDos EMS driver, CONFIG.SYS recognizes it
specially, and loads it before any other device= statement, even if it
is not the first one!

When parsing a .bat file, each time a new command is executed, Dos
searches from the beginning of the file all the way to the place where
the command is located.  If you have an especially long .bat file with
lots of ECHO statements, there is a noticeable performance penalty near
the end, especially when using diskettes.  I can understand why they
did not want to assume that the file was not kept open, but I cannot
understand why they did not use fseek().

I have heard that the transient portion of COMMAND.COM is governed by a
checksum, and reloaded if it has changed.  This allows it to be located
in high memory that is used only by the largest applications.  It can
be rerun fast when smaller applications are used.  A friend claims that
there is a portion near the beginning of the transient portion that is
not covered by the checksum.  Since this is the most likely part to be
trashed, it sounds like it can be a source of problems.  I have no
first-hand experience with this.

On many older IBMPC compatibles, there is a ROM socket at address
E000:0 that is not used.  It is possible for anyone to place a ROM in
this socket to place additional code in your memory space.  The problem
is, that there is no way to disable the ROM so that this space can be
used for additional memory or devices.  Some memory remappers like
386Max would makes use of this space if it were available, but the
hardware design makes this impossible.  A hardware engineer friend
investigated the possibility of cutting a single trace to disable the
socket.  It so happens that IBM economized on chips, so that a single
chip selects both the E000:0 socket and the F000:0 socket.  The further
decomposition of the address was done at another level.  This made it
impossible to disable the E000:0 ROM without disabling the F000:0 ROM.
Thanks IBM!  :-)

The COMMAND.COM command line cannot exceed 128 characters.  I thought
this was not good, so I decided to write a program that would mimic a
larger command line.  I looked at the execve() function in Microsoft C,
since that allows you to pass parameters to other C functions directly.
A caveat in the documentation said something like "The number and size
of the parameters cannot be such that the equivalent command line would
exceed 128 characters."  I cannot remember the exact text, but this
seems odd.  They must be decomposing my argv structure and constructing
a pseudo command-line.  They then pass it as text to the next
application, which reconstructs the argv structure.  If this were done
in Unix, I could pass the argv structure directly to the other
application, without going through a text format.  I cannot swear this
is how it is happening, but Thanks Microsoft!  :-)

Has anyone ever complimented the 8088 instruction set?  I have heard
few genuine compliments, other than gee-whiz aclaim of some esoteric
features like the ability to copy an array in one instruction.  It
becomes especially difficult when you must interact with hardware
configured on the device bus.  There are only certain instructions to
access these ports, and they only work with certain registers.  That
requires the programmer to make extra instructions to move the data
from the register where it was developed into the special register,
plus extra code to save that register during its use.  The reason
Microsoft distributes four libraries (Models) is because of the
brain-damaged instruction set.  The available instructions are said to
go out of their way to prevent calling a short procedure with a long
call and vice versa.  Thanks Intel!  :-)

The DMA controller is the same used on the 8080 processor.  As a
result, it only understands 16 address lines.  An additional 4-bit
register is implemented separately to chose one of 16 pages from the
1MB range.  Because of that, it is impossible to set up a DMA transfer
that crosses a 64K byte boundary.  It becomes an especially big problem
when you want to maximize the size of your IO buffer.  It is necessary
to allocate a 128K region to make sure you have a 64K region with the
proper alignment.  I have done this in one program, you can do it too.
:-)

With the introduction of a single control bit, and a little more
careful design, the 8086 could have had a protected mode.  Because it
does not, it is much more difficult to implement reliable multitasking
operating systems in this environment.  This is one of the reasons that
it is so easy for a virus to infect a PC.  A program running on a
normal 8088 PC has absolute full control of all of the hardware.  This
can be understood from the economics of the market at the time of its
introduction, when the sheer cost of the components was a major factor
in its acceptance, but it is a legacy that will live on for years to
come.

Not only does the 8088 not have 32-bit instructions, but it makes it
difficult to do 32-bit operations using 16-bit operations.  It is
necessary to operate on a 32-bit quantity a byte at a time to prevent
the 16-bit registers from overflowing.

Most of these hardware problems have been solved by the 80386.
However, the main factor that will keep the 803/486 from competing with
high-end systems will be the chip real estate devoted to emulating an
8086, and the burden of the CISC design that evolved to form the 80386
instruction set of today.

Everyone is getting sold on the fancy interface of Microsoft Windows,
but it should be clear that there are fundamental deficiencies in this
mode of operation.  The command-line interface in a Unix environment
makes it easy to combine unrelated filters to provide a unique
application, that never before existed and never will again.  To do
this with MS Windows applications is highly unlikely.  Each application
must provide its separate interfaces to specialized files.

There is a Macro facility that allows me to remember keystrokes, but I
do not recall that it can be parameterized.  Can anyone verify this?
The first and only need I ever had for this was to start a COMMAND.COM
window with my favorite communications program.  Fine, I started learn
mode, opened a Dos window, and run the application, I escaped back to
the macro controller, and saved my keystrokes.  I gave it a trial run,
and Voila!  my Dos window was opened and I got a C:\> prompt.  My
application was not started.  Apparently the macro processor cannot
handle input to the Dos window.  Since this was the only reason I
wanted to us the Macros, I found them rather useless.

Anyway, in defense of the PC, I must say that it was much better than
the desktop systems that proceeded it.  I found that when I started
using a PC, my productivity improved.  The wealth of applications is
probably the main factor driving its growth.  It has lots of keys on
the keyboard, which makes good sense compared to the old 127-character
ascii keyboard I have so often used.  IBM makes some of the best
keyboards in the business, and the Mechanical Engineering of the PS/2
line is excellent.  I will probably make my next computer purchase an
80386 IBMPC/AT compatible, mainly because the costs are much lower than
for incompatible systems.  The large competitive arena producing clones
makes the IBMPC in a class by itself.  -David-

david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp
david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584
...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 0:37:04 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: frame grabber software

>We are looking for a way to grab frames from all kinds of applications,
>to store them and to display them later on the PC's screen as a kind of
>slide- show. An old program named ShowPartner used to do this for CGA,
>but we need something more sophisticated.  Any pointers will be
>appreciated.
>
>Mark.

These might do what you want.  -David-

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MSWINDOWS>
DUMPMSP.ARC   B    6016  870730  WIN: Create screen dump file from CGA/EGA/Herc

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TURBOPAS>
GRAFDUMP.PAS  A    7355  900910  MGA/CGA/Herc/EGA/VGA graphics screen dump rtn

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 00:37:05 EST
From: "Keith Petersen" <w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil>
Subject: MS-DOS compatible ZIP for UNIX

> Wax.OSBU_South@XEROX.COM writes:
> I noticed in a listing of lists, that you are the moderator of
> Info-Zip.  Do you happen to know if there is an exit ZIP creator
> utility (source).  Most use will be on a SUN.

The Info-ZIP group is Beta testing a ZIP creating program for Unix
right now.  If you would like to be added to the mailing list, send a
note to Info-ZIP-Request@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

UNZIP 4.01 was just released.  It's in the PD1:<MISC.UNIX> directory as
UNZIP401.TAR-Z, a compressed Unix tar file.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 0:27:12 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: Wanted: recommendation of spelling checker

>I would appreciate a recommendation of a spelling checker, preferably
>shareware available on simtel.

I have never used a spell checker on the PC, but thanks to my grep.sim
program, I can produce of a listing of the spell checker on simtel20:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EDITOR>
GALAX243.ARC  B  273884  891221  Easy to learn word processor with spell check
MR200.ARC     B  215042  880411  Mind Reader, AI text editor w/spelling check

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS>
EMACSPEL.ZIP  B   57508  900328  FreEMACS 1.6a spelling checker

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS>
SPELLDOC.ARC  B  106496  880215  MicroSPELL Spelling checker - documentation
SPELLEXE.ARC  B   39936  880215  MicroSPELL Spelling checker - EXE files
SPELLSRC.ARC  B   30720  880215  MicroSPELL Spelling checker - source code

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TEX>
UNRETEX.ARC   B    8220  890729  Prepare TeX files for spelling chk processing

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTL>
CSPELLA.ARC   B  109278  871231  Spelling checker (see CSPELSRC for source)
CSPELSRC.ARC  B  100733  871231  C language source for CSPELLA.ARC
EZSPELL.ARC   B   42750  871231  Spelling checker
LSPELL.DOC    A    6125  860308  Doc file for LSPELL.PAS
LSPELL.PAS    A   25222  860308  Spelling checker
LSPELLA.ARC   B  140800  860902  Spelling checker
LSPELSRC.ARC  B   93184  860902  Source code for LSPELLA spelling checker
SPEL204.ARC   B   59008  870523  Spell checker
SPELLR20.ARC  B   83101  890324  Spell checker outputs list of misspelled words
TSPELL23.ZIP  B  129058  900412  Full-featured spelling checker by T.Salmi

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.EDUCATION>
MOMS26.ZIP    B  163502  900324  Game teaches music/art/spelling/english/math
SPELL110.ZIP  B  192265  900403  SPELLBOUND! - spelling tutor package
SPELLING.ZIP  B   39295  900425  Tutorial/exercises for h.s., college learners

I hope this help!  -David-

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 21:57:18 TUR
From: "V70D::HUNTRESS" <huntress%v70d.decnet%NUSC-NPT.NAVY.MIL@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Low-level Format with DEBUG

Whenever I do a low level format on a PC (mfm or rll), I use

debug
-g c800:5

Is this address specific to drive type (i.e. mfm, rll, esdi, scsi) or
motherboard architecture (88/286/386)?

I've been unable to find a comparable address to do a low level
format on my 386/esdi system.  If I can't do it using debug, do I
need a utility?

--Gary Huntress

------------------------------

Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 90 17:17:35 GMT
From: tolis ballas <tolis%lbs.lon.ac.uk@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Problems with Math Chip on an AT

I am using an IBM AT clone  and I am having problems with programs that
use the maths chip (almost all the programs but mainly SAS). My
understanding of the situation is that the problems are due to the 287
being slow in comparison to the CPU.  However, I cannot change its
speed.

Is it possible to solve my problems if I substitute the conventional
287 with one of the new INTEL chips (i.e. 287XL) which are supposedly
executing nstructipons faster?

Thanks,
Apostolos
(tolis@uk.ac.earn-relay)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 10:22:07 SET
From: Peter Sawatzki <IN307%DHAFEU11.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Award Bios for 386SX wanted

has anyone access to an AWARD bios for a 386sx board ? I have several
problems with my 386sx board (Intel chipset and award bios) and want to
check the eprom contents.  Please help, Peter

: Peter Sawatzki  <IN307+DHAFEU11.BITNET> :

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  6 DEC 90 09:22:41 GMT
From: CADJSENIOR%VAX.LIVERPOOL-POLY.AC.UK@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
Subject: extended memory

	Has anybody used extended memory from a high level language,
preferably C, and, used it like a large array ?.

	All help gratefully appreciated.

	Mike Senior
	CAD/CAM Manager
	Liverpool Polytechnic
	Byrom Street
	Liverpool L3 3AF
	England

	E_MAIL  CADJSENIOR@UK.AC.LIVEPOL.VAX

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 90 12:01:47 MET
From: Ron Croonenberg <U448035%HNYKUN11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: faking a harddisk

Hello,

I have an old pc (Tulip Extend) that has a Rom BIOS that wants to see a
bios of a harddisk-controller.  After the bios found the harddisk-bios
it probably wants to reset the harddrive.

But there is no harddrive.  I tried to call Tulip for information, but
the only solution they have is to buy a newer systembios.(the price of
the bios exceeds the value of the pc) I thought maybe someone knows
about the problem and has a solution to.  (I thought maybe it is
possible to connect two pins on de harddrive-controller so the
systembios thinks the harddrive is ready and will proceed to boot(from
a floppy in drive a:)

Any suggestions ???   If so thanks very much ,   Ron Croonenberg

------------------------------

Date: 6 Dec 90 02:52:52 GMT
From: 6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing)
Subject: IDRISI and other GIS software for PC

I'm interested in obtaining GIS (Geographic Information Systems)
software for a PC (286 and 386) to analyze kelp bed distribution in
southern California over time.

IDRISI has been recommended to me because it interfaces with our Map &
Imagery Lab's ERDAS software... and because it's a great value at $100
for a student like myself.

Has anyone out there had much experience with IDRISI? Do you know
IDRISI's BITNET address (or is it closed to non-owners)?  Do you have
any comments on IDRISI as a GIS system? Any sugges- tions on other
software packages for GIS on a PC?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

William W. (Boo) Bushing
6500boo@ucsbuxa.bitnet
6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 09:35:00 EST
From: PsychNet Supervisor <B_KNATZ%HVRFORD.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: MAP Assist

Has anyone out there heard of a third-party, Novell-approved program
called "Map Assist," which allows a local workstation drive to be
globally accessible to the LAN?

We want to put a CD-ROM drive on our network without having to alter
the server.  I you do have Map Assist, who sells it? How much is it?
Where can I order it?

thanks,
bk

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 11:01:32 PST
From: sulistio@sutro.SFSU.EDU (Sulistio Muljadi)
Subject: my keyboard is funny

Hi,
If I press 1 and 5 at the same time (almost), the char ' comes out.
So, I am looking for a solution to delete this char '.
By the way it is not the numeric keypad.

Thank you very much.
Mul
sulistio@sutro.sfsu.edu

------------------------------

Subject: New Uploads:
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 90 11:59:57 CET
From: Klaus Hartnegg <HAKL%DFRRUF1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: CRLF-2.ZIP and E2A-2.ZIP uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded new versions of my CRLF and E2A programs to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.txtutl>
CRLF-2.ZIP      Forces text lines to end with return+linefeed
E2A-2.ZIP       Fast, flexible EBCDIC <--> ASCII/ISO converter

These are much improved replacements for the old versions in the
archive.

Klaus
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Tel. ++49 7641 48652
Bitnet   : HAKL@DFRRUF1
Internet : HAKL@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de
X400     : G=klaus;S=hartnegg;OU=ruf;P=uni-freiburg;A=dbp;C=de

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 09:56:06 cst
From: Michael Ho <ho@hoss.unl.edu>
Subject: DELUXE2.ZIP - QMail Deluxe mail reader DEMO for Qwikmail

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.modem>
DELUXE2.ZIP     QMail Deluxe mail reader DEMO for Qwikmail

QMail Deluxe is a program to interpret the .QWK packets that are
generated by the Qwikmail (PCBoard) and Tomcat (Wildcat) programs.
These are doors which compress bulletins, mail and file lists, allowing
users to read and reply to mail offline.

This demo version is limited to one conference.
Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 15:45:10 EDT
From: bnrgate!bcars53.bnr.ca!mussar@uunet.UU.NET (G. Mussar)
Subject: MS Supplemental Driver Library uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.windows3>
WINSDL.TXT      MS Win3 Supplemental Driver Library listing
WINSDL1.ZIP     MS Win3 Supplemental Driver Library disk 1
WINSDL2.ZIP     MS Win3 Supplemental Driver Library disk 2
WINSDL3.ZIP     MS Win3 Supplemental Driver Library disk 3
WINSDL4.ZIP     MS Win3 Supplemental Driver Library disk 4
WINSDL5.ZIP     MS Win3 Supplemental Driver Library disk 5
WINSDL6.ZIP     MS Win3 Supplemental Driver Library disk 6
WINSDL7.ZIP     MS Win3 Supplemental Driver Library disk 7

The files in this upload contain device drivers for printers, displays,
networks, mouse drivers and keyboards. Together they are referred to as
the Microsoft Windows 3.0 Supplemental Driver Library. The file
winsdl.txt contains a listing of the drivers.

Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 09:46:27 +1100
From: s882080%minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU@seismo.css.gov (Paul Taylor [Falcon])
Subject: SAMPLE20.ZIP - Digital sound playback/record (with TP5.0 src)

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.voice>
SAMPLE20.ZIP    Digital sound playback/record (with TP5.0 src)

SAMPLER provides digital sound recording (using a A/D converter
connected to LPTx: or similar), and playback (using PWM on the internal
speaker or with an external D/A converter).  Plans for a simple
resistor-based DAC are provided.  Sounds are played "musically" -
Pianoman tunes or keypresses can be used.  (Guitar or piano keyboard
layout selectable).

Standard MAC sound files can be used by appending/changing the first
two bytes of the file to FF FF hex., and setting the start/end arrows
to remove any "garbage", and then saving the modified file to disk.
(64k limit for samples).  Thus MAC sounds not recorded at sample rates
supported by REPLAY etc. can be played correctly on ANY speed machine.

   Paul Taylor [Falcon]            Victoria University of Technology (RMIT)
 s882080@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au                Melbourne, Australia

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #201
-------