Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (12/16/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 15 Dec 90       Volume 90 : Issue 203

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                      info-gnu-msdos Mailing List
                Restricting hard disk access (V90 #196)

Today's Queries:
                     Digitized Audio data to Analog
                     Character Generation and POST
                Displaying gray levels on a VGA monitor
                          Draw program wanted
                  hooking pc speaker to stereo speaker
                          Networks connections
                              RAINBOW-card
                     Scheme for IBM PC compatibles?
                     Search for a Synchronous Board
                          SIMTEL20 disk space
                   Request for info on Unknown Modem

New Uploads:
           Uploaded nroff1.zip Unix V7 nroff clone to SIMTEL

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 8:54:23 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)

info-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu -- The GNUISH MsDos Development Group

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) is not highly interested in ports of
GNU software to MS-DOS, because they threaten to slow down the GNU
project by using up the time of the people who maintain GNU software.
However, Thorsten Ohl <td12@ddagsi3.bitnet> is organizing distribution
of such ports and moderating the GNUish MS-DOS project.

There is a mailing list to discuss these MsDos ports of GNU software.
It is called info-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu.  It is managed by an
experimental Unix-based listserv program.  Send the command:

    add info-gnu-msdos

to listserv@wugate.wustl.edu to become subscribed to the list.  Send a
message containing only 'help' to get more information about the
listserv.

The list is not moderated, not digestified, and open to subscription by
anyone.  Problems with the mailing list should be directed to:

    david@wubios.wustl.edu <David J. Camp>

To get more information about the GNUISH project, look at the file on
wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4) in the mirrors/msdos/gnuish
directory called '00msdos.gnu'.

david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp
david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584
..!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 15:05 CST
From: felton@sci34hub.sci.com (Ed Felton)
Subject: Restricting hard disk access (V90 #196)

}From: Jhinuk Chowdhury <FF76%UNTVM1.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>

}Could you suggest a (batch programming) approach that one may use in
}order to control access to the hard disk (or, for that matter, any
}program from a menu) to ONLY those users whose ID tags (passwords or
}SS numbers) are maintained on the hard disk in, say, a hidden file.

} ... [Text Deleted] ...
} ... The batch
}program could do a quick "if not exist c:username (then) goto
}noaccess" sort of thing.  I would ideally like to maitain the list of
}users' IDs in one file.  ... [Text Deleted] ...

Can you say "GREP"?
Very simple, as follows:

if .%1 EQ . goto no_way
grep %1 c:\ok_users.dat

rem (I think that grep returns a one on success)

if errorcode == 1 goto ok
goto endit
rem IFF <> 1, then not on access list.
rem errorcode == 1 so let them do it
:ok

rem Do it!

..etc
goto endit
:no_way

rem Don't let them dirty users do it, as They don't have the password

:endit
cls
rem exit

anyhow, I can't remember the particulars, but I know that grep and
things like it, will allow you to do what you want!

Good Luck!

------------------------------

Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 04:44:08 EST
From: Brian Anderson <castillo@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: Digitized Audio data to Analog

I have a series of data sets on disk that are the result of heavily
processing digitized audio streams.  That is, each file consists of a
series of 12 bit values which I would like to convert back to an analog
voltage at a specified rate.  Ideally this would be done continuously
from disk, but I can forsee it being much easier to "playback" from
extended memory to the D/A.

Is there a board for an ISA chassis PC (33 Mhz Gateway 386) that will
allow me to do this?  I'm thinking of something specifically built for
audio applications, the usual D/A boards can't cut it.  I'd like to be
able to just hand off a filename to a program and tell it what rate to
write out the data points (probably 12-15 kHZ max.)  The D/A's on my
A/D digitizing board don't have DMA transfer capability and there isn't
any software to do this sort of thing anyway.  I'd really like to find
something off-the-shelf, as dealing with interrupt service routines and
other horrors of assembly language programming is not my forte.

Brian Anderson
castillo@media-lab.media.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 13:23:45 CST
From: Brad Thone <C09615BT%WUVMD@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Character Generation and POST

We recently had a very strange (in my opinion) problem with a computer.
This should be independent of the type of computer being talked about,
but for the record, it is a Dell System 310 (80386-20).

Upon power-on, the computer beeped one long, and four short beeps.
Also, the screen (color VGA) was composed of randomly placed
exclamation marks.  During the power-on self-test, all the information
displayed (BIOS type, memory counts, etc.) was OK.  (There was just a
background of many random "!"s)

After the POST, whenever anything was placed on the screen, it was
approximately 80-90% random characters, except that which was being
placed on the screen at that moment.

The office in which this computer resides was just recarpeted, and as
we should be aware, new carpeting has the potential to buildup static
electricity (no pun intended).

We knew it could not have been the monitor, since another was tested in
its place.  (Besides the monitor couldn't be responsible for the "!"s
anyway.) Since we believed the video card did no character generation
(except in the sense that it is sending the appropriate signals to the
monitor) we assumed the problem was on the motherboard.

When we installed another VGA board in the machine, we discovered that
we incorrectly diagnosed the problem.  It was the VGA card.

Question:  Are the video ROM characters stored on the video board or
are they somewhere on the motherboard (in BIOS chips?)

I thought they were on the motherboard, but apparently not.
Offhand:   Where is the pointer (vector) to the video ROM?

If you could offer any help, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brad Thone
Ass't Tech. Mgr.
Workstation Tech'l Svcs.
Washington University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 13:54:58 est
From: Rich_Corley@dgc.ceo
Subject: Displaying gray levels on a VGA monitor

I have an image file which is in binary format.  Each pixel in the
image consists of a byte with values ranging from 0 to 63.  I wish to
display the image on my VGA monitor.  I would like to write a display
program and I need information on how to get a gray-level pallette.
Also the function putpixel() looks like it will deal with only 16
levels of color (gray), how do I get around this limitation?  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Rich

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 15:25 EST
From: Jonathan Schull <J_SCHULL@ACC.HAVERFORD.EDU>
Subject: Draw program wanted

I'm looking for a public domain or shareware Draw program which will
take externally-prodeced vector graphic files (HPGL or POSTSCRIPT) as
input and allow components (boxes, etc.) to be moved around, etc.

I'd also  be interested in Turbo Pascal code which does some of this...

Is there any out there?  Thanks!  I'm not on the list currently, so
please reply to me directly.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 13:56:18 EST
From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: hooking pc speaker to stereo speaker

How can I wire my pc speaker wires to make sound go to the speakers on
my stereo? Can anybody point me to any references on how to do this?
Thanks.

Chuck R.      bitnet: 346b36g@cmuvm.bitnet    Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, USA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 15:36:45 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Networks connections

Currently we are investigating connecting a printer to our net. We have
TCP/IP and the question is on which machine to put the printer, which
essentially is determined by the availability of spooler software. So I
would need hints where to get PD TCP/IP software.

Alternateively we also coulf do it with NFS, so are there any PD
implementations of NFs availble for PCs?

Our 3 options are PC, Sun or our PR1ME.  I would be most thankful for
any pointers where to look.

ERICH NEUWIRTH
BITNET (EARN): A4422DAB@AWIUNI11
INTERNET:      a4422dab@Helios.EDVZ.UniVie.AC.AT
Intitute for Statistics and Computer Science
UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA, UNIVERSITAETSSTR. 5/9, A-1010 VIENNA, AUSTRIA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 10:16:00 SET
From: Bertin Peeters <BPEETERS%RKC.UFSIA.AC.BE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: RAINBOW-card

A week ago I bought a RAINBOW VGA-card for my computer, a PULSE 386SX.
This card is based upon the Tseng Labs ET4000 Videochip, and can use
the following extended VGA-modes : 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 in 256
simultaneous colors.  The bios-date for the card is 27 March 1990.  Now
I've tried several programs (DR HALO III, PC PAINTBRUSH IV PLUS,
DESIGNCAD 3D, ...), but none has a driver for this card.  They all have
drivers for the older Tseng Labs ET3000 Videochip, but none for the
RAINBOW-card (MegaEVA 1024).

Included in the package was a driver for WINDOWS 3.0.  This works fine.
Windows "knows" that it can use more than 16 colors (my wallpaper uses
52 colors), but the version of PAINTBRUSH (included in the WINDOWS
package) still displays 16 colors. All other colors are still color-
patterns instead of plain colors.

Now my questions :

- Does anyone know a drawing program that has a driver for the RAINBOW-
card (another name is MegaEVA-card or Tseng Labs ET-4000-card) ?

- Does anyone know how I can force PAINTBRUSH (for windows) to use the
256 colors instead of the normal 16 ?

- Does anyone know if there exists additional drivers for PC PAINTBRUSH
IV PLUS for this card ?

Thanks,
Bertin Peeters

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Dec 1990 12:56 EST
From: Karl Brendel <CDCKAB%EMUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Scheme for IBM PC compatibles?

I'm looking for a PC version of Scheme (a LISP-like language). I
believe that TI once marketed a PC Scheme, but I don't find it (or
others) in catalogs or advertisements any more. A search of Simtel's
07-07-90 listings turned up nothing.

Please email replies directly to me (CDCKAB@EMUVM1.BITNET) and I'll
pass a summary along to the digest.

Thanks! in advance.
Acknowledge-To: Karl Brendel <CDCKAB@EMUVM1>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 08:46:51 GMT
From: saunders@hawk.nstn.ns.ca (Jim Saunders)
Subject: Search for a Synchronous Board

I am looking for a synchronous board for an IBM AT compatible computer.
I am looking for a board with a device driver for QNX that will support
HDLC.  A relatively slow board is required (up to 4800 baud) but I will
not rule out using an intelligent serial card.

If any one knows of such boards even with device drivers for other PC
operating systems, please forward any list to me.

Thanks in advance,

Jim Saunders
Software kinetics
saunders@hawk.nstn.ns.ca

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 15:54:55 TUR
From: Frank Wancho <wancho@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: SIMTEL20 disk space

PC-BLUE collection will not be available for several months:

Due to a scheduling problem for the construction of the required room
expansion to house the recently procured disk drives, there will be an
unexpected three-to-four-month delay in the installation of the drives.
This delay prompted some drastic action to make more long overdue disk
space available to the ever-growing collections on SIMTEL20 after more
than two years of managing saturated capacity.

After consultation with our advisors, the PC/Blue collection was taken
offline, to be restored when the new drives are online, together with
nearly 100 new volumes currently waiting for disk space to become
available.  This decision was based on the fact that the existing MSDOS
and MSDOS2 collections represent a majority of the same files contained
in the PC/Blue collection and are generally newer versions (without the
overhead of keeping older versions, due to the release scheme used by
the PC/Blue Librarian).

Because of the disproportionate amount of space freed up by removing
the PC/Blue collection from PD1: (about half the capacity of PD1:),
several collections were moved from PD2: and PD3: to PD1:, and from
PD3: to PD2::

    PD2:<MSDOS2*>     ->  PD1:  (the subdirs will be moved to PD1:<MSDOS>
    PD3:<HZ100>       ->  PD1:
    PD3:<MISC*>       ->  PD1:

    PD3:<CPMUG>       ->  PD2:
    PD3:<ZSYS*>       ->  PD2:

Now, all MSDOS and related collections are on PD1: and all CP/M and
related collections are together on PD2:.  The Unix-C and Ada
collections will compete for the remain space on PD2:, while the
Macintosh collection will compete for space on PD3: with the system
support and documentation files.  Note: PD3: also contains a mirror of
the corresponding collections from NIC.DDN.MIL, namely all RFCs in
RFC:, most of the NETINFO: files, all DDN-NEWS: files.

We hope this temporary inconvenience will be offset by the value and
availability of many new current releases we have been unable to
provide until now.

--Frank

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 13:09:06 ARG
From: Luis MAGNI <atina!fmcba.sld.edu.ar!luis@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: Unknow modem.

Dears:

I have a external 9600 baud modem, but have no manual or indication
how to program it.

It is labeled as UPTA-96 made by VAULTS ELECTRONICS INC, in 1984. If
someone know how to program or use it, please let me know, either if
you know the way to contact with VAULTS ELECTRONICS.  Thanks in
advance.

		Luis MAGNI
		Centro de Microscopia Electronica - U.N.Cordoba - Argentina
		luis@fmcba.sld.edu.ar

------------------------------

Subject: New Uploads:
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 90 23:11:51 -0800
From: jdudeck@POLYSLO.CALPOLY.EDU (John R. Dudeck)
Subject: Uploaded nroff1.zip Unix V7 nroff clone to SIMTEL

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.txtutl>
NROFF1.ZIP      Unix V7 nroff clone with source for MS C 5.1

This is an update of NROSRC.ARC from SIMTEL20.  That version was for
DOS 1.x.  This is ported to MS C 5.1, and DOS 2.0 or higher.  Useful
for formatting the 'man page' files that come with unix-like software.

John Dudeck
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu
ESL: 62013975 Tel: 805-545-9549

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #203