Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (12/17/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 17 Dec 90       Volume 90 : Issue 205

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                       CECC Spring 1991 Workshops
        Re: DAK Industries Query (Pros/Cons) (V90 #200) (5 msgs)
                        IBM 8513 (VGA) exchange
                      info-gnu-msdos Mailing List
                    Re: Turbo C stack seg (V90 #200)
                        LANIERS - now I remember

Today's Queries:
                      anti-aliased fonts for VGA?
                             Paradox List?
                           RAINBOW-videocard

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 00:01:05 GMT
From: franz@ecst.csuchico.edu (Fran Holtsberry)
Subject: CECC Spring 1991 Workshops

The Spring 1991 Computing Workshops sponsored by the California
Educational Computing Consortium (CECC), to be held on the Davis
campus of the University of California on April 10-12, 1991, will
hold multiple sessions of the workshop "Using the Internet."

Other topics to be covered include: workshops featuring instruction
in Macintosh and IBM PC-compatible basics, "virtual reality"
applications, spreadsheets in education, courseware authoring,
bibliographic management, computer lab management, distance learning,
interactive videodisc, statistical applications, virus protection,
local area networking, and much, much more in the area of
instructional computing, networking, and other information
technologies.

For more information on this conference and membership, contact
Jeanie Banvard at Computing Services, University of California -
Davis, (916) 752-0233.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 10:33 EDT
From: Ed Fix <EFIX@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil>
Subject: Re: DAK Industries Query (Pro) (V90 #200)

In Vol 90 #202, Frank Starr asks about "too good to be true" computer
prices from a company called DAK.

>Has anyone bought from DAK, the mailorder PC sales place with prices
>which sound too good to be ture? Any experiences welcome.

I have no financial interest, but am a satisfied customer.  DAK seems
to be a multi-million dollar company that the founder and president
(Drew Kaplan) runs like a hobby.

I have bought several things from DAK and they have always been as
advertised.  A few years ago, I bought an Olivetti ink jet printer
after Olivetti stopped making them.  The price was an unheard of (at
that time) $200.  It worked just great for about 5-6 years until it
died, and DAK continued to supply ink cartridges even though there was
no such garantee when I got the thing.  A couple of years later, I
bought a Silver Reed daisey wheel printer.  Again, as advertised.  I
used it to print out my Master's thesis, Christmas letters, etc, etc,
and it still works fine.  I recently bought another printer (the
Panasonic 24 pin dot matrix) so I don't use the daisey wheel any more,
but it's still perfectly good.

Within the last month, I bought their CD-ROM external drive with the
disks.  Not only does it work as advertised (if you ignore some of the
adjectives), there was a custom "up and running" manual and
installation software.  It was literally a less than 1/2 hour job to
set everything up and start browsing the atlases and libraries.

Although I can't personally vouch for the computers they sell, based
on my past experience with the company, if I were in the market, I
would not hesitate to get one.  Hope this helps.

Ed Fix

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 08:04:39 EST
From: youssef@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (P. Youssef)

regarding DAK I have purchased tape from them in the past and to my
suprise they were good and the also send me head cleaner that was 30 oz
and RCA cables the price of the tapes was less than what they send as a
bouns.

Peter

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 90 16:31:49 EST
From: Curt Priest <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: DAK Industries Query (Con) (V90 #200)

Regarding the inquiry about DAK and "prices too good to be true":

1.)  The editor/publisher is very good with words and makes everything
sound a bit better than it is upon close inspection.

2.)  In particular be careful because they buy lots that didn't succeed
commercially for some reason.  For example, a wonderful industrial,
play only VCR, with built-in monitor, for only a few hundred dollars --
BUT WOULD ONLY PLAY AT SP SPEEDS, NOT LP OR SLP.  So look carefully at
the CD ROM player or computer they have and figure out what makes it
limited or outmoded.

3.)  They do appear to pick up a wide range of strange BSR equipment.
For example, I did pick up a unit that would connect to a modem and
both send and receive files in XMODEM protocol and locally store up to
128K in RAM.  Funny thing is I still haven't quite found the right use
for it.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 1990 18:32:19 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: Re: DAK Industries Query (V90 #200)

Sure.   This is a real place,  several stores here in / around Los
Angeles.   I usually do the store bit,  rather than the mail order,
but I've never heard a complaint about either.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 12:14:19 -0500
From: amburgy@ecn.purdue.edu (Kalex)

I have bought software and a mouse from them.  I have had no problems
with any of it.  I am very pleased with the company..

 Kerry Amburgy    amburgy@en.ecn.purdue.edu
 Captain Kalex    USS Vanguard

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 14 December 1990 8:33am CT
From: CLIFF.WILKES@UTXVM.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Subject: IBM 8513 (VGA) exchange

I have just learned via our own maintenance department and our IBM CE
that IBM has a program to exchange certain of their 8513 VGA monitors.
Those affected have serial numbers in the range 72-000000 to 72-640000.
That is the orginal number and not the number on the repair tag.  On my
monitor the repair tag was placed over the original serial number tag
and removing it removed the serial number.  The original serial number
tag is located below the screen on the base at the front of the unit.

I was told by our CE that if you have a monitor with problems that you
wish to exchange you will need an invoice or sales receipt listing the
serial number.  My monitor was out of focus and I'm still waiting to
see if it will be exchanged or not.  But I thought I would share this
information since IBM doesn't appear to be forthcoming about it.

                                     cliff.wilkes@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu
                                  or ccdh001@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu

------------------------------

Date: 11 Dec 90 04:41:30 GMT
From: david@WUBIOS.WUSTL.EDU (David J. Camp)

info-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu -- The GNUISH MsDos Development Group

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) is not highly interested in ports of
GNU software to MS-DOS, because they threaten to slow down the GNU
project by using up the time of the people who maintain GNU software.
However, Thorsten Ohl <td12@ddagsi3.bitnetis organizing distribution of
such ports and moderating the GNUish MS-DOS project.

There is a mailing list to discuss these MsDos ports of GNU software.
It is called info-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu.  It is managed by an
experimental Unix-based listserv program.  Send the command:

    add info-gnu-msdos

to listserv@wugate.wustl.edu to become subscribed to the list.  Send a
message containing only 'help' to get more information about the
listserv.

The list is not moderated, not digestified, and open to subscription by
anyone.  Problems with the mailing list should be directed to:

    david@wubios.wustl.edu <David J. Camp>

To get more information about the GNUISH project, look at the file on
wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4) in the mirrors/msdos/gnuish
directory called '00msdos.gnu'.

david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp
david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < *   +1 314 382 0584
..!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 1990 13:54:03 EST
From: "Drew Derbyshire" <ahd@tamara.kew.com>
Subject: Re: Turbo C stack seg (V90 #200)

> Date: Sat,  1 Dec 90 16:06:06 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Brian M. Gottier" <bg0v+@andrew.cmu.edu>

> My program is currently overflowing the stack.  I can't figure out how
> to increase the stack size.  The description of the global variable
> _stklen in the reference manual says that the default is 4K.  This is
> what my program is using.
>
> So how does one change the stack size in Turbo C V2.0?

You must declare and initialize the variable, to wit:

unsigned _stklen = 32 * 1024;

main( )
{
        .
        .
        .
}

For further examples (I actually reduce the stack in some UUPC/extended
files), see UUPOLL.C in in the UUPC09CS.ZIP file in sub-directory
PD1:<MSDOS.UUCP> on simtel20.

Drew Derbyshire
                ________HOME________            ________WORK_______
Internet:       ahd@kendra.kew.com              ahd@tamara.kew.com
Telephone:      617-641-3739                    617-863-1633
U.S. Mail:      108 Decatur St, Apt 9           Keane, Inc.
                Arlington, MA 02174             420 Bedford Street
                                                Lexington, MA 02173

------------------------------

Date: 13 Dec 90 12:40:00 CST
From: "55SRWLGS" <55srwlgs@sacemnet.af.mil>
Subject: LANIERS - now I remember

From: "John Stepek" <2035csxp@sacemnet.af.mil>
Subj: Your diskettes...

Frank,
   The diskettes you have in your hand are HARD sectored disks.  If you
look at the index hole and spin the disk in the sleave you'll notice a
whole every half inch or so. Those disks are ment to be used on the old
disk drives in the CPT word processors.  On the IBM compatible machines
they use soft-sectored disks.  Only one index hole is one them.  High
or low density disk all have one index hole.  They can't be used in any
IBM machine.  We had a slew of them in our supply system for the
longest time before I finally went over and showed them that they don't
work and told them to find another source and get these hard sectored
disks out of our supply system. Why they won't work in the IBM machines
is that the disk confuses the drive.  The index hold signifies the 0
sector on the disk when it passes by the sensor.  The hard sectored
disk keeps saying that every sector is the 0 sector and that's why you
can't format it to the IBM standard.

John Stepek

     I had forgotten that the holes were in the media, instead of the
cardboard sleeve!

:+<,
Frank

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 10:01:52 -0500 (EST)
From: Eric.Cooper@CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: anti-aliased fonts for VGA?

I will be using a notebook computer with a monochrome VGA display soon.
Does anyone know of any software that provides anti-aliased fonts, so
that I can make good use of the gray scale and make things easy on my
eyes?  Please respond to me directly; I will summarize the responses,
if any.

Professor Eric C. Cooper
School of Computer Science            Internet: ecc@cs.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon University               Phone: +1 412 268 3734
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania  15213-3890       FAX: +1 412 681 5739

------------------------------

Date: 14 Dec 1990 09:30:51 EST
From: DEVRIES@NAUVAX.UCC.NAU.EDU
Subject: Paradox List?

Is anyone aware of a list dedicated to users of Borland's Paradox
database?

If so, how do you subscribe to it?

Ernie DeVries
Academic/Personal
   Computer Services
Northern Arizona University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Dec 90 13:41:23 SET
From: Peeters Bertin <BPEETERS%RKC.UFSIA.AC.BE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: RAINBOW-videocard

Recently, I bought a RAINBOW-videocard for my PULSE 386SX.  This card
is based on the Tseng Labs ET4000 videochip and can display 256 colors
in the following resolutions : 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768.  Included
in the package was a driver for Windows 3.0, which works fine.  But
when I start Paintbrush, it still displays only 16 true colors and a
few color-patterns.  However, when I load a converted 256-color drawing
(converted from a GIF file), Paintbrush will show the drawing in full
colors.  But when I want to modify or use another color than the 16
predefined by changing the RGB-values of a particular color, Paintbrush
creates a color-pattern, instead of using one of the 256 possible real
colors !  Does anyone know how I can force Paintbrush to use all of the
available colors ?

Another problem with this card is the following : before I bought this
card, I used Dr HALO III (Dr GENIUS) for drawing 2D pictures, and
DESIGNCAD 3D vs 3.0 for 3D objects.  Unfortunately, these programs have
no drivers for the RAINBOW-card in 256 color mode.  Does anyone know if
those drivers exist, and how and where I can obtain them ?

Does anyone know a paint-program that supports this card (PC PAINTBRUSH
IV PLUS, COREL DRAW, ...) ?

Thanks for the help

Peeters Bertin
Computer-department UFSIA