Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (12/18/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 18 Dec 90       Volume 90 : Issue 207

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                                C++ List
          Is this a bug or the 'Mark Of The Beast' with UUPC?
                               MAP Assist
                           Re: .Z and .TAR.Z
                               ZIP files

Today's Queries:
             Info on video modes, Platinum Super VGA card?
                        Data World LP/320 laptop

New Uploads:
             Frequently Asked Questions tsfaq15.zip update
                    Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Sam, 15 D{c 90 12:43:01 FRA
From: JMM%FRESTP11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: C++ List

There are two lists focused on C++ and relative topics that I know of.
The first one is ztc (Zortech implementation specific), for more info
contact joe@proto.com.  The second is TCPLUS-L@UCF1VM.BITNET which is
ruled by the LISTSERV@UCF1VM.

Send Help for more info in a message or e-mail.

J.M.M. (JMM@FRESTP11.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Dec 1990 09:49:07 EST
From: "Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/Extended Help Desk" <help@kendra.kew.com>
Subject: Is this a bug or the 'Mark Of The Beast' with UUPC?

> Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 1990 12:54:12 EST
> From: "Meg Geddes" <mit-eddie!sharkey.cc.umich.edu!netmeg!meg>

> When I am sending mail through to a system, after the connect has
>been established and the mail is being sent, I get a message like this:

> (0) Sending D.sharkey0669 (sharkey/D/16xt~e) as S D.sharkey0669
>      D.netmeg0669 uucp - D.sharkey0669 0666.

> I note that there is always a file called  D.systemXXXX, where XXXX is
>a sequential number that means something to someone somewhere.  I also
>note that each D.systemXXXX notice is followed by a number by itself -
>and that number is NOT sequential, it is always 0666.  I don't pretend
>to know what it's for, but I assume it's necessary, since it's always
>there.

The XXXX is just a counter, incremented by one for each mail.  The only
kinky thing is that it is in hex (0123456789ABCDEF).   The '0666' is
the unix permissions for the other end; it says how UNIX is to save the
file.

> Ok, the problem comes when you have a sequential number that looks
>like D.system0666.  Whenever I get to that 0666 number, it *always*
>hangs the mesg, and nothing ends up being sent.  As I say, I noticed
>this in other versions prior to 1.07 as well (I'm sure it was in 1.05,
>might have been in 1.03 too.)  Note what happens when this message
>tries to be sent to M-Net -

> (0) netmeg connected to host m-net at Fri, 14 Dec 1990 12:26:44 EST
> (3) looking in work file...
> (3) getfile: fromfile=D.m-net0666, tofile=S D.m-net0666.
> (3) Opening D.m-net0666 (m-net/D/)ct%v) for sending.
> (0) Sending D.m-net0666 (m-net/D/)ct%v) as S D.m-net0666.
> (0) 2 packets transferred, 0 errors.

> Nada.  It just sticks there, and of course, that means that the mail all
> queued behind it doesn't get sent either.  Now, I can go and delete this
> Evil 0666 Mark of the Beast message, and it will work just fine (I hate to
> do that with someone else's mail, but if it has to be done, it has to be
> done)

It's a bug, one which I just heard about last week from someone in the
UK ... but the report wasn't even addressed to me.  (No one tells me
these things!)  You are the one most likely to hit it because of your
mail volume, although you should not hit it again for a while because
the four digit hex number (up from three as of release 1.08a) should
last you 65536 pieces of mail.

I'll look at it and try to get it fixed in 1.09d.

-ahd-
--
Drew Derbyshire         "Send me your bugs reports, your hacks, your ..."

All UUPC mail:  help@kendra.kew.com     U.S. Snail: 108 Decatur St, Apt 9
Personal mail:  ahd@kendra.kew.com                  Arlington, MA 02714
Disclaimer:     I do not accept money for UUPC.  Nor do I return long distance
                distance phone calls for user support; I break even that way.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Dec 90 18:25:36 GMT
From: john@chsun1.uchicago.edu (John Van Voorhis)
Subject: MAP Assist

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.mil writes:

>Has anyone out there heard of a third-party, Novell-approved program
>called "Map Assist," which allows a local workstation drive to be
>globally accessible to the LAN?

>We want to put a CD-ROM drive on our network without having to alter
>the server.  I you do have Map Assist, who sells it? How much is it?
>Where can I order it?

	We have Map Assist and it works well for what we do, mapping
different local disks out over the network.  It is supposed to handle
CD's, but we haven't used it for that yet.  It costs  about $200 and
the company that sells it is Fresh Technology.  They also sell a few
other netware utility programs, Lan Assist, Queue Assist, Print Assist,
...  Lan Assist lets you look over other users' shoulders and runs
reasonably quickly, while Print Assist lets you set up printers off of
local PCs.  We decided not to use Print Assist because the user has to
be logged in for the program to work.  This is also true for their
other utilities.

	Hope this helps.
--
John Van Voorhis                      |      |\   All I ask is a tall ship,
Chapin Hall Center                    |     /| \  and a star to steer her by.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 03:00:00 LCL
From: mario%NTIAA.EMBRAPA.ANSP.BR@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: Re: .Z and .TAR.Z

>Can anybody give some information about the diffence of files like
><name>.z,<name>.tar.z etc. ...[text deleted]...
>How can i get the information inside the files?

<name>.z means that this file was compressed by COMPRESS (available in
SIMTEL20.  COMPRESS -d <file-name> should extract the file.

<name>.tar.z means for a tar file that was compressed. A tar file is a
virtual Tape ARchive. Many files can be joined as it was in a single
tape.  "TAR -tf <file-name>.tar" should extract these files IF you've
unCOMPRESSed the file already.

If don't have this "utilities" go to SIMTEL20 and go for fun ...

Your welcome. Feel free to ask any doubts.

MARIO A. NASCIMENTO           E-mail:         mario@ntiaa.embrapa.ansp.br

Alternative E-mail:           mario%ntiaa.embrapa.ansp.br@brfapesp.bitnet
SOFTWARE PLANT PROJECT;  P.O. Box 5010;  CEP 13031;  Campinas; SP; BRAZIL
Phone #: 55-192-401073   (NTIA-office);    Fax #: 55-192-402029 (to NTIA)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 14:15:00 EST
From: DITTO <MZ69179%LTUVAX.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: ZIP files

From Jac Goudsmit <S89406316@HSEPM1.HSE.NL> came the following:

These answers are to the best of my knowledge, don't read my lips.

>I have been reading through the documentation of PKWARE's PKZIP and
>PKUNZIP programs and have found that APPNOTES.TXT clearly states that
>ZIP files can be spread across multiple media. The ZIP format
>documentation in that same file also mentions a "disk number on which
>the file starts" in the file header. However, I couldn't find anything
>in the user's guide for the PKZIP and PKZIP programs about spreading
>ZIP files over multiple diskettes, and when I try to create a (too)
>large ZIP on a floppy, PKZIP says "Disk full".

>So I was wondering:
>- Can PKZIP actually create a multi-disk ZIP file?
  I interpreted the info available to mean that the ZIP standard has
the CAPABILITY to maintain zips across multiple volumes.  However,
PKWare has not implemented it yet.

>- Is it a special option on the PKZIP file?
>  If yes, is it an undocumented option or am I missing something?
>  If yes, should an option also be included while unZIPping?
>  If yes, could it be that it is only in the American version? (I am
>    of course using the export version.
>  If no, is there another program that will do it?
>  If no, could it be that you could simply split up a file (by using a utility
>    to break a file in two, if that exists). I guess this is not so, since the
>    APPNOTES mention that the disk number is stored in the ZIP file.
>  If no, does someone know if the option is supported in other versions, or
>    will be supported in future versions of PKZIP/UNZIP? I am using V1.10
>    (export)

Some of this is answered succinctly above.  However, a program called
ZIPSPLIT (available at finer BBSs around the U.S.) will solve the
problem of splitting ZIPs into smaller pieces.  I used the prog once
and it didn't work quite right but I think it was my fault.

This idea of spreading one zip across mult disks is one that has
interested me for use as a backup for a hard disk.  Use 20meg 3.5
floppies, you should be able to, on average, zip the HD onto a few
disks while still having access to the files.

Matthew Zaleski
Lawrence Tech Univ, Michigan
mz69179@ltuvax.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 15 Dec 90 09:11:25 GMT
From: Mike Horne <mhorne%ka7axd.tv.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Info on video modes, Platinum Super VGA card?

I have a Platinum Super VGA (SuperCache) video card that I bought from
a local dealer.  Many of you may have seen an ad in Computer Shopper
for the boards ("Bye Bye Paradise...").  I've been very pleased with
the board (the price/performance is very good), but I seem to be
missing some information necessary to place the board in 1024 X 768 X
256 *non-interlace* mode (I have a 48 kHz Sony monitor that I'm trying
to connect to it).  The company supplies a manual that doesn't seem to
mention how to configure the board for non-interlaced operation at the
highest resolution.  Does anyone out there have any information on how
to configure the board for non-interlaced mode?

On a side note, each video mode has a hex code associated with it that
is used when setting the mode.  Everything is done in software, so
changing the monitor configuration is as simple as typing `vmode (hex
code)'.  I have some information on a few of the modes, but I really
don't have a difinitive list of hex codes and the corresponding video
modes.  Is there a `standard' list of video mode numbers, or is this
likely to be a unique set of codes for this specific video card?  The
card, by the way, uses the Tseng Labs controller ASIC (the ET4000AX).

And one last question: does anyone know what the `feature connector' is
used for on the board?

Any info would be most helpful.

Thanks!
mhorne@ka7axd.tv.tek.com

(If I don't receive any knowledgable replies, I'll call the factory and
pester them.  I thought I'd check here first to see if anyone else has
run into this problem.)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Dec 1990 09:44 ADT
From: BOLLINI@HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA
Subject: Data World LP/320 laptop

As has been noticed on a couple of networks, the machine will not run
Windows 3.0 in the background. Since I mean to avoid Windows for a
while, I can live with this. But I *do* need to know whether the
machine is compatible with Desqview 386.  Anyone have solid info on
Desqview's performance in the DW LP/320?

------------------------------

Date: 12 Dec 90 10:29:53 GMT
From: ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi)
Subject: Frequently Asked Questions tsfaq15.zip update

I have updated the material in my frequently asked questions
collection, and added a few new questions and answers.  It is now
available from SIMTEL20.

pd1:<msdos.info>
TSFAQ15.ZIP     T.Salmi: Frequently asked questions & answers

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

[This is a quite extensive set of answers to 'Frequently Asked
Questions' here.  It is worth investigating.

For those that have problems with FTP and file corruption, a similar
set of questions and answers is available from the mail server at
math.princeton.edu.  Send a one line message with no subject to
<rjc@math.princeton.edu> containing the single line 'help'.  OR say
"send faq.csip" or "send old.questions".  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 1990  03:05 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

The following files have been recently uploaded to SIMTEL20:

NOTE: Type B is Binary; Type A is ASCII

 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
AM552.ZIP     B  209603  901216  ArcMaster front-end/convert for .ARC/.ZIP/.LZH
PAK251.EXE    B  103338  901211  NoGate's ARC,PAK,ZIP create/extract program

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.BBS>
MLNK_10C.ZIP  B   14909  901210  Message linker for BBS conference msg areas
VP407.ZIP     B   50913  901210  VPurge: Enhanced BBS Conf/EchoMail processor
WABIRD.ZIP    B    8635  901209  Carrier watchdog and COMx re-direction utility
WATCHKAT.ZIP  B   16160  901211  Reboot BBS if carrier lost or after 20 rings

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.BBSDOORS>
DRWY211.ZIP   B  180014  901211  DoorWay 2.11, BBS Doors utility

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.BBSLISTS>
USBBS79.ZIP   B   51513  901211  Darwin's nationwide IBM BBS listing: 12/01/90

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DATABASE>
CEQPT32.ZIP   B  117209  901212  Database for equipment service/usage histories
CINVT52.ZIP   B  121321  901214  Inventory pgm for tracking store stock/orders
STARTR10.ZIP  B  174095  901212  Menu-based database of all Star Trek episodes

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DIRUTL>
WHERE42B.ZIP  B   45056  901211  Fast file & ARC/ZIP/LZH/ZOO/PAK/PKA searcher

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EDITOR>
CALVIN.ZIP    B   38955  901214  Calvin (formerly Free VI) partial vi clone

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EDUCATION>
MOON.ZIP      B   57300  901210  Graphic display of moon's face w/pan/move/find

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>
SIMCVT.AWK    A     703  901210  AWK script to print SIMIBM.IDX
SIMIBM.ARC    B  226835  901216  SIMTEL20 MSDOS files listing with descriptions
SIMIBM.IDX    A  504812  901216  SIMTEL20 MSDOS files listing with descriptions

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>
PKLTE10.EXE   B   39837  901211  PKLITE v1.0, compress .EXE/.COM files and run

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.GIF>
89AILLUS.GIF  B    2688  901215  Tiny file illustrates GIF89a-use VUIMG280.ZIP

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.GNUISH>
00MSDOS.GNU   A    7558  901211  Explains the MSDOS GNU-ish project
FLEX236.ARC   B   78943  901209  GNU clone of Unix LEX lexical analyzer

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.GRAPHICS>
FRAINT15.ZIP  B  324206  901212  FRACTINT v15 multi-featured fractal generator
FRASRC15.ZIP  B  450830  901212  C & ASM source for FRACTINT 15.0 fractal gen.
GRAFWK48.ZIP  B  261744  901211  View/cvt/print MAC/IMG/GIF/TIFF/EPS graphics

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.HYPERTEXT>
HYPRVX11.ZIP  B   75776  901211  Hypertext browser for VAX/VMS mail help, v1.1

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.INFO>
INFOP141.ZIP  B  107776  901212  18 pages of system info, w/TP & MASM source
TSFAQ15.ZIP   B   53565  901215  T.Salmi: Frequently asked questions & answers

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.KA9Q-TCPIP>
NOS-SLFP.ZIP  B  229868  901213  KA9Q TCP/IP w/SLFP support for Merit dial-up
SLFP123.ZIP   B   29693  901211  SLFP driver for use w/KA9Q and Merit dial-up

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.LAN>
CMAIL24B.ZIP  B  134076  901213  Electronic mail agent pgm for use on any LAN
PCNEWS.ZIP    B   29770  901211  Read Usenet news on local or PC-NFS filesystem

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MODEM>
MODEMD30.ZIP  B   72027  901215  Modem Doctor/complete modem & UART diagnostics
TR3-6.ZIP     B  120653  901212  Operate PC from a remote location, or monitor

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MSJOURNAL>
MSJV5-1.ZIP   B  164814  901215  Microsoft Systems Journal Vol 5 No 1, examples
MSJV5-3.ZIP   B  142455  901215  Microsoft Systems Journal Vol 5 No 3, examples
MSJV5-4.ZIP   B  127775  901215  Microsoft Systems Journal Vol 5 No 4, examples

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SPREADSHEET>
AEA400R.ZIP   B  205816  901211  AsEasyAs v4.00R, Lotus 123 spreadsheet clone

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER>
SIMTEL20.INF  A   14748  901210  Complete overview of the SIMTEL20 archives
UUDECODE.DOC  A    1720  901210  Instructions on how to use UUDECODE.COM
UUENCDEC.DOC  A    2592  901210  Docs for UUENCODE.COM and UUDECODE.COM

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
SIMP193.ZIP   B   27520  901210  Fortune cookie program of Simpson quotes

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TAXES>
AMTAX90.ZIP   B  133221  901211  AM-TAX individual tax preparation for FY '90
TAX90-53.ZIP  B   24254  901211  Employer's tax guide calculator for 1990 wages

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TROJAN-PRO>
CLEAN72.ZIP   B   66075  901215  Universal virus disinfector, heals/removes
NETSCN72.ZIP  B   49415  901215  Network compatible - scan for 161 viruses, v72
SCANV72.ZIP   B   60529  901215  VirusScan, scans disk files for 162 viruses
SECUR218.ZIP  B   33872  901215  Virus/trojan security, prevents unauth. writes
SWVSAF11.ZIP  B   93245  901211  DOS extention does file integrity verification
VALIDATE.CRC  A   12160  901214  From McAfee BBS: CRC validation list of pgms
VSHLD72.ZIP   B   58238  901215  Resident virus infection prevention program

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTL>
NROFF1.ZIP    B   34371  901210  Unix V7 nroff clone with source for MS C 5.1

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.WINDOWS3>
DAYGOLD.ZIP   B   64304  901211  WIN3: Bible verse & trivia question/req. mouse
TAMR11.ZIP    B   30645  901211  ICON editor for Windows 3.0

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most SIMTEL20 MSDOS files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC has multiple lines which
support 300/1200/2400/9600/14400 bps (HST/V.32/V.42/V.42bis/MNP5).
This is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents.
It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via
StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to SIMTEL20 are usually available
on DDC within 24 hours.

Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or     w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Uucp: uunet!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz              BITNET: w8sdz@OAKLAND

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #207
-------