Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (12/24/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 23 Dec 90       Volume 90 : Issue 208

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                          Character Generation
                           Re: DAK Industries

Today's Queries:
                            dBase latest...
                   E-Mail Between the Internet<==>CIS
                     Ghostscript 2.0 with Turbo C++

New Uploads:
        CALVIN.ZIP - Calvin (formerly Free VI) partial vi clone
      HYPRVX11.ZIP - Hypertext browser for VAX/VMS mail help, v1.1
       SAUTER.ZIP - CM & LaTeX font resizing package for METAFONT
            Simpson Fortune version 193 uploaded to SIMTEL20
       TR3-6.ZIP - Operate PC from a remote location, or monitor
      TSLIN33.ZIP - Linear programming and linear goal programming
      WABIRD.ZIP - Carrier Watchdog and COMx Re-direction Utility

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 90 14:22:00 EST
From: Rick Beebe <BEEBE%YALEMED.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Character Generation

>Question:  Are the video ROM characters stored on the video board
>           or are they somewhere on the motherboard (in BIOS chips?)

>I thought they were on the motherboard, but apparently not.

Since different video standards (Mono, CGA, EGA, VGA) use different
character sets (for example, EGA is an 8x8 pixel matrix, VGA is 9x14),
the character sets *must* reside on the video card. The video BIOS and
video memory are also on the card. My IBM technical reference seems to
imply that there is character ROM on the motherboard, but if so it's
probably for CGA.

>Offhand:   Where is the pointer (vector) to the video ROM?

>If you could offer any help, it would be appreciated.

Again, the only book that I have here is the IBM tech reference. In my
quick glance through it doesn't say where that vector might be. It does
say that during the POST, absolute addresses C8000 through E0000 are
scanned for adapter ROM. The Video bios would be somewhere in that
range, usually at C800. You could use a program like SYSID (shareware,
with source, available in all the finest places) or Quarterdeck's
Maniftest to ferret them out.

Good luck.

Rick Beebe                    (203) 785-4566
Biomedical Computing Unit
Yale University School of Medicine
333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06514

BEEBE@YALEMED.BITNET
beebe%biomed.decnet@venus.ycc.yale.edu

------------------------------

Date: 16 DEC 90 16:02:36 CDT
From: RBECOU09 <RGRIFF%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: DAK

A few years ago the university I was with bought me an Epson Geneva
laptop from DAK with all sorts of stuff thrown in at what was a very
good price at the time.  They delivered as advertised.

I think the prices are so good because they are basicly liquidators -
i.e. they buy remainders of inventories.  Included software is
sometimes so cheap because it is previous version - e.g. Wordstar 5.0
after 5.5 was introduced- but still can be quite good.

Reynolds Griffith <RGRIFF@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: 17 Dec 90 01:49:57 GMT
From: demoydk@iitmax.iit.edu ("Tommy" Kim)
Subject: dBase latest...

Okay, maybe I am on the wrong group, but I just wanted to know the REAL
story from all you people from the NewsNet...

I've heard from a friend of mine...he read from the Sunday newspaper,
and he said that Ashton-Tate has been stripped of their copyrights to
'their' program dBase (Whatever version).  This was found out in AT's
suit to another company for plagarism.  But the court found out that
dBase was originally conceptualized by people in the NASA.  So, AT was
basically screwed...

Is this 100% true?  I am just wondering...

P.S. Please, no flames or whatever because this is what I HEARD...it
may not be true...or it may be true...whatever the case, please tell me
the truth!

Yung D. Kim
Illinois Institue of Technology
Computer Science and Technologies
InterNET: demoydk@iitmax.iit.edu
Another source: kimyung@harpo.iit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun Dec 16 20:30:50 1990
From: johnboyd@logdis1.oc.aflc.af.mil (John Boyd;CRENP)
Subject: email btwn Internet<==>CIS

Ok, I know how to get email to a specific user ID on Compuserve, but
does anyone know of a convention to send it to a particular forum?

Yeah, I know, some people are never happy, give 'em something and they
want something more B-{).

                       johnboyd@ocdis01.af.mil

------------------------------

Date: 17 Dec 90 10:03 +0100
From: Dr Ivan D Reid <ivan@cvax.psi.ch>
Subject: Ghostscript 2.0 with Turbo C++

Has anyone successfully compiled Ghostscript 2.0 under Turbo C++?  We
just got the Professional pack, so I tried GS as a fairly extensive
test of the differences with Turbo C.  I had to change a few things
that wouldn't compile (e.g. it baulked at 0x80000000-1 at compile-time
so I changed it to be evaluated at run-time), but it eventually ate
everything.  However, there's a very noticeable bug in the executable
-- arcs do not draw properly.  Arcs in the 2nd quadrant (i.e. 90-180
degrees from the positive x-axis) appear OK, but in the other three
they want to zoom off to (+infinity,0) [1st quad.], (0,-infinity) [3rd
quad.] or (+infinity,-inf) [4th quadrant].  Tracking down the error is
almost impossible due to the size of the programme -- has anyone else
come across this behaviour and can suggest a fix?  I think it must be
in the path flattening subroutine, but it's difficult to be sure when
only SYMDEB will handle the programme.

		Ivan
	ivan@cageir5a.bitnet	20550::ivan	ivan@cvax.psi.ch

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 17:22:07 PST
From: vojta@math.berkeley.edu (Paul Vojta)
Subject: CALVIN.ZIP - Calvin (formerly Free VI) partial vi clone

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.editor>
CALVIN.ZIP      Calvin (formerly Free VI) partial vi clone

This supersedes <msdos.editor>vi-19a.arc

Calvin (formerly Free VI; renamed to distinguish it from other
available vi clones) is another partial vi clone.  It was written
specifically for msdos, so it has a number of features tailored for
msdos.

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 08:28:00 EST
From: Peter Scott <SCOTTP@sask.usask.ca>
Subject: HYPRVX11.ZIP - Hypertext browser for VAX/VMS mail help, v1.1

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.hypertext>
HYPRVX11.ZIP    Hypertext browser for VAX/VMS mail help, v1.1

HYPERVAX is a pop-up, memory-resident, hypertext browser, which enables
a user connected to a VAX via a PC to get instant help with VAX/VMS
HELP commands. Load it from its own directory before running your
communications program. Invoke it with Control-Backspace. Pop it back
with ESC. Remove from memory with ALT-T.

You can easily customize HYPERVAX by writing an ASCII file and linking
it with the < > characters. Create your own name & address file for
Internet for example.  Use the supplied compiler, HYPERREZ, to write
your own hypertext files.

   <Peter Scott                    [] Phone:    306-966-6016           <>
   <Order Unit Manager             [] FAX:      306-966-6040           <>
   <Univ of Saskatchewan Libraries [] ENVOY100: PA.SCOTT               <>
   <Saskatoon                      [] Internet: SCOTT@SKLIB.USASK.CA   <>
   <Saskatchewan, Canada S7N OWO   []                                  <>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 2:13:45 CST
From: "DAVID A. FENYES" <dfenyes@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu>
Subject: SAUTER.ZIP - CM & LaTeX font resizing package for METAFONT

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.tex>
SAUTER.ZIP      CM & LaTeX font resizing package for METAFONT

A longer description is (copied from my message to you above)

SAUTER.ZIP is John Sauter's kit for re-parameterizing CM and LaTeX
fonts for any size, along with a couple of 4DOS batch files and an awk
script to help make the generation of large numbers of fonts at various
point sizes manageable.  With this kit, TeX and METAFONT users can make
fonts at any point size rather than using magnifications of fonts
designed for viewing at another size.  The files were FTP'd from
sun.soe.clarkson.edu.

Hope somebody can use this!

David.

David Fenyes                        dfenyes@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu
University of Texas Medical School  Houston, Texas

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Dec 1990 3:01:10 PST
From: Dave <komatsu@alcor.usc.edu>
Subject: Simpson Fortune version 193 uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
SIMP193.ZIP     Randomly display quotes from Simpson show

This is the latest revision of the fortune program to randomly display
quotes from the Simpsons television show.  Using this program you can
randomly display a quote, print out a specific quote, or print out the
whole list of quotes.  If you have a quote you would like to add please
submit it to: komatsu@aludra.usc.edu

Dave
komatsu@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
komatsu@aludra.usc.edu
sound@ccb.ucsf.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 22:47:56 EST
From: Douglas Thomson <doug%giaea.OZ.AU@seismo.css.gov>
Subject: TR3-6.ZIP - Operate PC from a remote location, or monitor

The latest version of my shareware TeleReplica program is now available from
SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.modem>
TR3-6.ZIP       Operate PC from a remote location, or monitor

TeleReplica: Remote control/surveillance of one PC from another

Purpose:
    - TeleReplica allows two IBM PC-compatible computers to be
connected together (via telephone lines and modems, or via a direct
cable, or via a common mini- or main-frame computer), and arranges for
input to be accepted from either keyboard, and for both displays to
appear identical

Common Applications:
    - access to a local area network from a remote site (for example,
we do much of our Novell system administration (backups etc) from home
outside normal working hours)

    - software support (to avoid the need for site visits)

Features:
    - small memory overhead on PC running applications (total around 9K)
    - common screen patterns (such as a repeating block of the same
      character or attribute) and common changes (such as scrolling) are
      encoded to improve update speed
    - obsolete screen changes are not transmitted (thus typing several
      commands without waiting for the display to catch up is possible)
    - password protection, with password transmitted automatically
    - partial automatic baud rate selection
    - support for both color and monochrome displays
    - support for hardware (CTS/RTS) and software (XON/XOFF) flow control
    - support for packet network links
    - support for COM1-4 and custom ports
    - ability to perform file transfers in the background while the
      replica PC is used for other tasks
    - support for unattended hosts, including call-back and auto-reboot
    - TR is "DESQview-Aware" and will run in a small DV window
    - detailed documentation (almost 100K) with examples of TR/TRHOST
      installation for some common applications

Limitations:
    - cannot replicate graphics displays
    - only works with text page 0 and in 80x25 mode
    - uses the standard keyboard buffer (in segment 0040)
    - causes bad "snowing" on older CGA displays
    - slows normal PC operation
    - requires DOS 3.0 or later
    - does not cope with very noisy lines

Software Compatibility:
    - almost all text applications, including:
        - WordStar, WordPerfect
        - Lotus-style spreadsheets
        - dBase, Foxbase, Dataflex
        - Turbo Pascal and C
        - WordPerfect Office
        - Novell utilities

Software Incompatibility:
    - all graphics programs (e.g. WordPerfect preview)
    - communications programs installed to use the same interrupt!
    - programs using text pages other than 0 (e.g. Turbo Debugger?)

Doug.
(doug@giaea.oz.au)

------------------------------

Date: 16 Dec 90 17:33:07 GMT
From: ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi)
Subject: TSLIN33.ZIP - Linear programming and linear goal programming

I have updated my linear programming and linear goal programming
package.  Now avaiable from SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.education>
TSLIN33.ZIP     Linear programming and linear goal programming

Here is an extract from the release notes of the documentation:

  Version 3.3: Version 2.6 introduced the possibility of selecting the
foreground and background colors of linsolve by applying /f# and /b#
switches in the program call where # means a color number (0-15 for
foreground, 0-7  for background).  I have  made several improvements.
The forground and the background color can no longer be made equal to
each other. Giving an out of range value is now trapped by the program.
Most importantly the color codes can now be optionally given as color
names (Black, Blue, Green, Cyan, Red, Magenta, Brown,  LightGray,
DarkGray,  LightBlue,  LightGreen, LightCyan, LightRed, LightMagenta,
Yellow, and White). After having not used linsolve for a spell myself,
and needing to change the colors for an overhead projector session in a
classroom situation (I got  squarely stuck for a minute), I decided to
make these improvements.

  The normal maximum width of a simplex tableau is 79 characters which
means presenting six columns of figures per row. I have added a switch
/c# to the program call where # can range from 1 to 15 columns. This
means a choice of a wider (or a narrower) output than the standard
screen. This switch is operative in registered versions only.

  When output is directed to the printer, the program checks that the
printer is online. The method I used earlier fails on some printers, so
I adapted another method which is hopefully more robust.

  Updated the list of references (Chapter 10 of the instructions).

TSLIN33.ZIP     Linear programming by T.Salmi
Filename        Comment                             Date      Time
--------        --------------------------------    ----      ----
DEMO.MPS        Mps-input-format demodata         09-06-89  21:00:46
DEMOGOAL.DAT    Linear goal programming demodata  08-01-89  14:59:26
DEMOLP.DAT      Linear programming demodata       07-31-89  16:11:38
DEMOLP2.DAT     Linear programming 2nd demodata   07-31-89  16:42:36
LINSOLVE.EXE    Linear (and goal) programming     12-16-90  18:36:18
LINSOLVE.LIS    Document                          12-16-90  18:56:42
MPS2EQU.EXE     Mps input to equation format      03-29-90  10:54:04
MPS2EQU.INF     Document on MPS2EQU conversion    03-29-90  10:57:48
TSPROG.INF      List of PD programs from T.Salmi  12-02-90  16:28:46
VAASA.INF       Info: Finland, Vaasa, U of Vaasa  02-02-90  11:52:54

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Dec 90 00:39:31 PST
From: halcyon!ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims)
Subject: WABIRD.ZIP - Carrier Watchdog and COMx Re-direction Utility

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.bbs>
WABIRD.ZIP      Carrier Watchdog and COMx Re-direction Utility

WatchBird really does what any SysOp ever wanted from a watchcd
utility: it runs outside programs, controls the carrier and if it drops
gets back to DOS without rebooting, uses a fossil driver but also does
something more. WatchBird will close all your files while exiting,
avoiding the creation of lost chains; will remember the status of your
screen and put it back from graphic to text mode or vice-versa; will
remember in which directory you were and put you back there; will avoid
your machine hanging for an "Abort, Retry, Ignore?" request; will allow
you to run programs either through command.com either spawning them
directly.

Ralph Sims
halcyon!ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Dec 90 00:25:51 PST
From: Aryeh Goretsky <netcom!nusjecs!ozonebbs!aryehg@APPLE.COM>
Subject: Christmas Violator Virus

CHRISTMAS VIOLATOR VIRUS

There has been a hacked version of Omen Technology's DSZ ZMODEM
External File Protocol Module called DSZ1203.ZIP.  The DSZ file inside
is infected with a new variant of the Violator virus known as the
Christmas Violator or Violator-B4 virus.  The virus contains a an ASCII
message from a group called RABID and contains a Christmas Greeting.
It is not known what else the virus does.

The following search string can be used by VIRUSCAN with the /EXT
switch to check for the virus:

     "51 ba ? ? fc 8b f2 81 c6 9b 11 bf 00 01 b9 03 00" Christmas Violator

If you find this virus on your system, run VIRUSCAN with the /D option
to delete the infected files.

NEW BBS LINE

A new bbs line has been added to Homebase BBS at (408) 988-5190.  This
line has a US Robotics Courier 9600 Dual Standard providing a 9600bps
connection using v.32 and MNP-5.  Hopefully, this will make getting the
software easier for International Long Distance callers.

Regards,
Aryeh Goretsky

     |  Aryeh Goretsky, Tech Support               vox (408) 988-3832 |
     |  McAfee Associates                          fax (408) 970-9727 |
     |  4423 Cheeney Street                        bbs (408) 988-4004 |
     |  Santa Clara, California  95054-0253                        // |
     |  Internet:  aryehg_ozonebbs.uucp!apple.com                 //  |
     |  UUCP:  apple!netcom!nusjecs!ozonebbs!aryehg             \X/   |

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #208
-------