Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (12/24/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 23 Dec 90       Volume 90 : Issue 209

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                      accessing SIMTEL's archives
                    BASICA Question Reply (V90 #202)
                      Re: Paradox List? (V90 #205)
                          multi-disk archives
                                 PKZIP
                             Please add me

Today's Queries:
                              CD-ROM help
                  FORTRAN compiler for 486 using UNIX
                         HP III-Epson emulator
                       IBM 3164 Terminal Emulator
                       Idle time algorithm wanted
                       Simulating Keyboard input
                             TCP/IP for DOS
                     Terminal and 386 enhanced mode
                  Accessing the WSMR-SIMTEL20 Archives

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 09:05:32 +0100
From: wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
Subject: accessing SIMTEL's archives

Hi Greg,

[This is is response to my note in a recent Digest discussing TRICKLE
nodes and saying ... "FRMOP11 (?? but VERY centrally located in
Europe)" ...  gph]

The bitnet node FRMOP11 is in Montpellier, France (South-West of
France, not really central Europe).

[The updated note on "Accessing the WSMR-SIMTEL20 Archives" is at the
end of the Digest.  gph]

Have a nice end of year.

  - Chris

[Thanks!  And the same to you and yours as well...]

------------------------------

Date: 18 Dec 90 21:50:57 EST (Tue)
From: mwg@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us (Michael W. Gardiner)
Subject: BASICA Question Reply (V90 #202)

In IBM-PC-Digest V90 I202 Kevin O'Neill <ko0g+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>Subject: Basic BASICA question

>I may be in the wrong place, but I'll give it a try anyway.

Here's something I hope will help:

>I am trying my hand at writing a program in IBM BASICA that I had
>previously done for an Apple, and I'm having a problem figuring out the
>routine for saving the data created in the program to a file.  The
>problem is that about 50 variables are defined by the program, but I
>haven't figured out how to get the FIELD statements to work properly.
>For example, I try ...

>        100  OPEN "DATAFILE"
>        200  FIELD #1,3 AS MN$, 4 AS AP$, 4 AS RG$, {etc.}
>        300  LSET MN$=NM$: AP$=A1$: RG$=R1$: {etc.}
                           ^^       ^^
Each field requires a set of some sort, this line, as written, will not
give you anything useful.  It should look like:

         300  LSET MN$=NM$: LSET AP$=A1$: LSET RG$=R1$  {etc.}

I can't speak for what other problems you may be having, but I can
assure you that you will get strange results from this.  Repeated data
might be a problem, as setting the variables without the LSET causes
thier special status to be lost, all subsequent PUTs of those fields
will have the same data in them because they can no longer be changed.

Let me try this, its' been a while.  The FIELD statement creates
variable names, but gives them POINTER status to a place in memory, the
various SET statements put the data into memory at the proper memory
locations in the proper formats.  Using an assignment without the SETs
creates regular variables with the target names.  The memory locations
no longer have a pointer and cannot be further altered, thus, all
following PUTs just keep re-writing the buffer.

>I cannot get the fields set for all of the variables on a single line;
>I've tried a second FIELD line, but it overwrites the variables from
>part of the first line.

I cannot figure this one out, but it may be related to the previous
problem.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 10:26:46 EST
From: Greg Kroll <USDGK@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Paradox List? (V90 #205)

>From: DEVRIES@NAUVAX.UCC.NAU.EDU

>Is anyone aware of a list dedicated to users of Borland's Paradox
>database?

Ernie,

  Yes there is a Paradox list, you can subscribe with one of the
following commands:

If you are on an IBM mainframe, issue the command:

TELL LISTSERV AT BRUFPB SUBSCRIBE PARADOX <your-full-name>

If you are on some other machine, use mail with the single command:

SUBSCRIBE PARADOX <your-full-name>

of course the mail should be sent to LISTSERV@BRUFPB

Incidentally the node BRUFPB is a University in Brazil somewhere (I
think)!

--Greg Kroll

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 8:34:14 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: multi-disk archives

There were some inquiries about multi-disk archives using ZIP.  My
favorite backup utility lately has been PCOPY by Norm Patriquin.  It
will prompt for a new disk when a disk is full, and the registered
version can split large files across diskettes, recombining them when
restoring.  It does no compression, but instead stores the files in
their native format.  This means you can use any Dos command to access
the files on your backup - very convenient.  PCOPY is available on
simtel20 and mirror sites.

If you want compression, you can use the xoox2exe.exe distribution from
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  This program merely prompts for a new diskette
when one is full.  It does file compression, but cannot split files too
large to fit compressed on one diskette.  The main feature it needs is
a shell escape so that I can format diskettes while it is running.

I hope this helps!  -David-

# david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp
# david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584
# ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things."

------------------------------

Date: Wed Dec 19 08:41:57 1990
From: johnboyd@logdis1.oc.aflc.af.mil (John Boyd;CRENP)
Subject: PKZIP

>Take your risks and try PcBackup...(i don't)

What's the beef with PCBACKUP? I've been using it since v3.X and the
only time I had a problem was when I helped a friend move some files to
a new machine.  We installed his new V6 stuff on the new machine.  The
only problem was that we'd backed up the old machine with V5 (of
course).  So I had to temporarily load V5 on to do the restore.  I did
use the Verify option at that time, since I hoped to only attempt it
once.  Is there something going on that I/we all should know with
PCBACKUP?

               johnboyd@ocdis01.af.mil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 13:58:49 CST
From: Moore <moore@email.ncsc.navy.mil>
Subject: Please add me

[Jimmy Moore asked to be added to the list.  I told him that he was
ALREADY on the list as <moore_jimmy> and asked what the difference
between his old and new address was.  I also told him that we here in
Spain were bringing up a LAN and asked what type of E-mail server his
organization was using...  His reply surprised me and I thought you all
might be interested in seeing what his response was... gph]

> Which is the correct addx?

Sigh.  Sorry about that:  we've had a LOT of trouble with moving email
off of our dead and gone VAX 11/750 to a LAN mail server.  Now that the
replacement for our old email machines is on-line (a Northgate 386/33,
how's that for a replacement for a DEC VAX?) I'd prefer all my
Info-IBMPC mail to be routed to ...

Again, thanks for your help and sorry about the confusion.  Our DDN
gateway has been down all day, too!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 23:51:00 +0200
From: Gil Freund <GILF%HUJIVMS.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: CD-ROM help

Hello everyone

I am thinking of buying a CD-ROM. As this is a rather large spending,
for me, I would also like to use it as Compact disk player. I
understand most of the newer units have this option.  The unit has to
be external, as all my drive bays are full.

Any comments, suggestion and advice will be most welcome.  Please
answer me directly (GILF@HUJIVMS.BITNET of GILF@HUJI.AC.HU.IL.). I will
forward the information to anyone interested.

Thanks
Gil
------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 08:55:43 EST
From: kobus@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (D. Kobus)
Subject: FORTRAN compiler for 486 using UNIX

Can anyone offer suggestions for selection of a FORTRAN compiler for
the i486?  Areas of concern include VAX compatibility, memory
recommendations, disk space, graphical libraries, PHIGS, GKS, Tek
PLOT10 TCS, etc.

David B. Kobus
Naval Air Development Center

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 10:23:40 EST
From: Paul Andrews <DID1290@VM.NRC.CA>
Subject: HP III-Epson emulator

Hi,
I recently received some plate reader software which requires either an
IBM compatible (Proprinter.etc ), Epson compatible (Epson LQ, LX,
FX..etc) or Okidata ( 190, 290) printers ... unfortunately I have an HP
Laser III.  Anyone know of an Epson-HP laserjet emulator?

Paul Andrews
Health and Welfare Canada 1-613-957-3506
DID1290@vm.nrc.ca
DID1290@NRCVM01

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 15:33 EST
From: <TLEWIS%UTKVX4.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: IBM 3164 Terminal Emulator

I am interested in obtaining an IBM 3164 terminal emulator to run on
IBM PS/2's.  Could anyone provide any information on such a thing?  I'm
basically interested in the color aspects of the emulator.

Terry Lewis
TLEWIS@UTKVX    (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 12:36:00 CST
From: "John D. Larson" <JLARSON%MKVAX.DECNET%MSUS1.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Idle time algorithm wanted

Hello,

I have a pc that I use as an UUCP node. The problem is that it is used
for other things so I can't have a deticated scheduler to have it call
in for mail.

What I want to do is write a scheduler to call in during specified time
periods when the computer hasn't been used for a specific length of
time.  (probably around 10 minutes.)

I can handle making the tsr itself and checking if the time is "ok" to
call.  I just can't figure out a good way of checking for activity in
the last 10 minutes.

I have thought about checking the keyboard interupt: What about disk
intensive defragmenters or whatever.

Checking the drive activity too: What about cpu intensive algoritims
like fractal computations (or more useful ones).

Checking for screen activity might not cut it either.

A friend suggested that I try checking the return address when the
interupt is called to invoke the tsr. If the address is the same,
nothing has happened.

Would this be reliable? Isn't there some sort of loop when the cpu is
idle in dos? Better yet, how about other interupts being interupted to
call the tsr?

I would think that someone out there would have come across this
problem.

I would prefer that any programming references would be in assembler or
pascal, although just about anything would be helpful, I know others
with assorted programming expertise.

Thanks!

-John Larson
 Mankato State University, MN

 JLarson@VAX1.Mankato.MSUS.EDU      (internet)  | <-- In order of preference
 JLarson%MKVAX1.DECNET@MSUS1.BITNET (bitnet)    |
 JLarson@ATT1.Mankato.MSUS.EDU      (internet)  | Elvis isn't worth mentioning.
 JLarson@AS400.Mankato.MSUS.EDU     (internet)  |     He's still dead as a

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 1990 20:43 EST
From: JAMESRC@QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Subject: Simulating Keyboard input

I am using a DOS package (Atlas Graphics) that does not have a macro or
script language to automate the production of maps.  I want to "hide"
the complexities of Atlas/Graphics from the user and to automate the
printing process.  What I need is (I think?) a TSR that will read a
file from disk (of instructions) and pass them to the application >>as
if<< they came from the keyboard in the first place.  Suggestions?

I am aware that a new release of Atlas/Graphics will have a script
language, but I would like to finish this off before having to deal
with a brand new software package.

If there is sufficient interest (and an answer) I will post a summary.
Many thanks,

Rob James

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 10:13:46 EST
From: Sarah_Gray@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: TCP/IP for DOS

    Does anyone know of a mailing list where it would be appropriate to
ask questions about TCP/IP for DOS?

    If this is an appropriate place:

    --has anyone gotten the LPR that comes with NCSA Telnet 2.3 to
work?  I've gotten others to work, including the one that comes with
CUTCP, but not this one.

    --Has anyone gotten the Tektronic emulation to work with NCSA?

    --Does anyone know of an equivalent to FTPBIN (which allows one to
do anonymous FTPs) that has more terminal support--ie scrollback, a way
to exit if the connection is hung, etc?

    --Anyone seen a PD PING?

  Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 16:35:00 EST
From: "Fred J. Fanucci" <FFANUCCI%GMUVAX.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Terminal and 386 enhanced mode.

I just figured out that TERMINAL for MS-WINDOWS 3.0 in accessories only
works in real mode instead of 386 enhanced mode.  Anyone know why this
is?  Can I get TERMINAL to work in 386 enhanced mode?

Fred
FFANUCCI@GMUVAX.BITNET
FFANUCCI@GMUVAX.GMU.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Dec 90
From:  Gregory Hicks <ghicks@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject:  Accessing the WSMR-SIMTEL20 Archives

The Simtel20 Archives discussed are available from:
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details
on file directories and descriptions.)  Problems with files obtained
from the Archives should be addressed to:
<ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 and DS0RUS1I (Germany), EB0UB011 (Spain), FRMOP11 (France),
HEARN (Netherlands), IMIPOLI (Italy), TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN
(Turkey).

SIMTEL20 is not accessible on the first Wednesday of each month from
6-10pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most SIMTEL20 MSDOS files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC has multiple lines which
support 300/1200/2400/9600/14400 bps (HST/V.32/V.42/V.42bis/MNP5).
This is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents.
It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via
StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to SIMTEL20 are usually available
on DDC within 24 hours.

    <rjc@math.princeton.edu> operates a mail server that sends, by
return mail, a series of files that answer quite a few of the most
frequently asked questions on the net.  This server will also look up
programs in the SIMTEL20 index, the grape index, and the chyde index.
If you send email to <rjc@math.princeton.edu> with no subject and
containing the single line "help", you will receive instructions;
sending the message "directory" gives you an index of all the files
available on the server.

    A set of files you might be interested in is obtaining are faq.csip
old.questions and faq.more.  These files contain answers to more
frequently asked questions.  To obtain these files, just send the
two-line message:

        path your-return-path-goes-here
        send desired-file

(ie: "send faq.csip", "send old.questions", or "send faq.more")
to rjc@math.princeton.edu.  Of course, replace "your-return-address"
with your actual return address.  UK users please remember to reverse
the JANET path.  DO NOT INCLUDE A SUBJECT LINE FOR THESE MESSAGES.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #209
-------