Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 11:28:00 CET
From: WIW72%RZ.UNI-KIEL.DBP.DE@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: DIF Data Interchange Format

Hi people,

we want to use the same data in several programs (Spreadsheet, Text
processing, Graphics, Databank).

Because all of our programs have the possibility to read and write data
in "DATA INTERCHANGE FORMAT" (DIF) we decided to use this format for
the communication between the programs.  But we noticed that in special
cases (for example : missing values) the programs produced different
formats so that they can't talk together.

Now my question: Can anyone send me the description of this nebulous
format or tell me where I can order it?  Probably there exist more than
one DIF, because WP differentiate between "Navy DIF Standard" and
"Spreadsheet DIF".

Merry Xmas

Werner Ente
WIW72@RZ.UNI-KIEL.DBP.DE

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 19:11:56 SET
From: Roger Thijs <RTHIJS%BANUFS11.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>

On Wed, 19 Dec 90 11:28:00 CET <WIW72@RZ.UNI-KIEL.DBP.DE> said:
>Hi people,
>nebulous format or tell me where I can order it?

I have in my library from ancient times
( I used it when working with visicalc on my Apple II+)
   Donald H. Bell
   The DIF File
   for users of VisiCalc and other software
   Reston Pu Co, 1983, XV + 235 pp
   ISBN 0-8359-1305-8 and
        0-8359-1306-6
 pages 175-199 reproduce a kind of a II+22 pp standard:
   DIF Clearinghouse:
   DIF Technical Specification     DIF-0283
   copyright by Software Arts Products Corp

Hope this is of some help,
Regards,

Roger Thijs

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 11:33:54 EST
From: Francis Taylor <narf@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: Ghostscript, bgi

I have Ghostscript 2.0 (the Free Software Foundation's version of
Display Postscript, available for anonymous ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu)
running on MS-DOS, compiled with Turbo C 2.0.

Ghostscript currently (as I compiled it) uses the bgi graphics
interface, using detectgraph to determine the graphics driver.  I want
to modify Ghostscript so that it will use another display installed in
the machine, if any, as the graphics display, and use the primary
display (through the BIOS) for the text display.

I also want the program to look for and use any bgi drivers that are in
the same directory as the executable, so that Ghostscript can take
advantage of displays that aren't currently known.

What is the best way to do these things?  Example code would be
wonderful.  Please respond to me; I'll summarize for those who express
an interest.

Thanks for your time.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 15:41 CST
From: Jerry Katz <KATZJA%SLUVCA.SLU.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: PD or Shareware Paint Program Available?

I am looking for a shareware or public domain paint program with the
following characteristics:

(1)  Support for the Logitech Scanman or Scanman Plus hand-held
scanner, and

(2)  The ability to rotate graphics in 1 or 1 degree incremnents.

I am aware that PC Paintbrush Plus accomplishes both goals.  It is also
over $120 locally at discount houses.  Logitech's Paintshow,  which
comes with the scanner,  is really ill suited to the task.

The biggest problem I have found in using a hand-held scanner is that
often an image I scan in is rotated VERY slightly.  Unfortunately,
Paintshow Plus only rotates in increments of 90 degrees.

The Paintbrush prices rile me somewhat.  One alternative available
locally is an "AI" brand scanner,  which includes a paint program (with
2 degree increments) AND an OCR program for about $150.  Has anyone
heard of or had any experience with the "AI" brand?  It is sold through
80 Data stores.

Jerry Katz
KATZJA@sluvca

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 12:23:00 EDT
From: Dave <EKSTROM%HARTFORD.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Network problem

   Does anyone know of a multitasking program that runs under DOS 3.x
and above?  I found a program called "hke.com" at `chyde.uwasa.fi'.
The problem is that is only runs under DOS 2.0 to 3.10.  Is there a
newer version of this program?  I would prefer that it be public
domain, but any info will be appreciated.  Maybe if I explain the
problem, someone can offer another answer.

   We have an office LAN running PCSA v3.0 software.  Some of the
people in the office have IRMA cards in their machines.  These cards
allow their computers to connect up to our IBM computer that the
registrar and financial records are stored on.  These cards have
accompanying software that allows them to shift in and out of the
terminal emulation.  So if someone is working on a "job", they can
shift out and work on say a Multimate document.  The problem comes when
they stay in this terminal emulator for a short period of time, the
network connection dies.  They lose all file and disk services.  We
think the problem is that the card takes over the entire machine and no
longer lets the network know that the pc is there.  This gets to be a
hassle to keep reconnecting to the network.  The other peculiar thing
is that this seems to affect only the slower machines (ie IBM PC and
AT&T 6300), the faster 386s seem to be unaffected.  All the computers
have either a 3c503 card or a DEPCA card.  The type of card does not
seem to affect whether you are dropped or not.  If anyone has even a
clue or a hunch please e-mail me personally.  If you need more
information please feel free to contact me.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

David Ekstrom
Universtiy of Hartford
Computer Services
Ekstrom@hartford.bitnet
ekstrom%uhavax.decnet@uhasun.hartford.edu

------------------------------

Date: 19 Dec 90 22:29:00 CST
From: "55SRWLGS" <55srwlgs@sacemnet.af.mil>
Subject: PC-GLOBE

     Has anyone ever heard about a program called PC-GLOBE? A friend of
mine described it from an ad he read last summer. It seems to be a
fantastic sort of PC atlas program. It has a map of the world, and you
can access all sorts of information, such as distances between cities,
major products of given countries, etc.

     My friend can't recall who makes the program, or whether it's
commercial or shareware. There's a related program, PC-USA. Appreciate
any info on these programs.

Frank Starr
55srwlgs@sacemnet.af.mil

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 16:01:33 EST
From: 712_rjc2%white.span@aqua.whoi.edu (RAY CONSER)
Subject: Portable 486's

I'm looking for a portable 80486 machine with a VGA port for an
external monitor and at least 3 expansion slots.  Size and weight up to
that of the Compaq Portable 386 (approx 20 lbs) are OK.  Any
recommendations out there ?

Ray Conser
rconser@aqua.whoi.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 11:33:48 EST
From: TIMBUCK@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU
Subject: Problems with a 3 1/2" HD floppy drive

I am having problems with a Toshiba 3 1/2" high-density drive.  When I
set it up in CMOS as a HD drive it will not read or write reliably to
720K OR 1.44M diskettes.  However, when I set it up as a 720K drive, it
works fine (as a low-density drive).  Does anybody have an idea why
this is happening?

I'm using PC-DOS 3.3 on a 286 clone with AMI BIOS.

Tim Buck
timbuck@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 14:35:00 EDT
From: Dave <EKSTROM%HARTFORD.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Quarterback Deskview

   Has anyone out there had experience with Quarterback's Deskview?  If
so, I would appreciate any info.  Thanks.

David Ekstrom
University of Hartford
Computer Services
Ekstrom@Hartford

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 1990 22:27:18 EST
From: Pierce Krouse <krouse-p@cis.ohio-state.edu>
Subject: STARTR10.ZIP - Menu-based database of all Star Trek episodes

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.database>
STARTR10.ZIP    Menu-based database of all Star Trek episodes

It's a full-blown specialized application.

Pierce Krouse
krouse-p@cis.ohio-state.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 15:20 GMT
From: Mark Walters <MSERVMRW@vax.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject: Turbo C books

Hello everybody!

I'm just getting started with Turbo C and wondered if anybody has had
any experience with TC tutorial books? Are any of them any good for a
beginner?

I've also seen a couple of disk based ones (one by the Waite group, I
think?), I'd prefer something like that if they were any good.

Thanks in advance for any information.

MSERVMRW	-	Mark Walters
@UK.AC.OXFORD.VAX	University of Oxford

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #211