Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (12/29/90)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 29 Dec 90       Volume 90 : Issue 215

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                           Disk Boot Failure
                   Epson control codes on a LaserJet
                                 PKZIP
            Lotus Development Corp and Household Marketplace
                        Text Retrieval programs
                          X-windows for MS-DOS

Today's Queries:
                     16-bit memory on a 32-bit '386
                Looking for the Animation Program TOPAZ
       Dybanic Data Exchange and Inter Application Communication
                             STACKER Query
                   Linear Programming Software LINDO

New Uploads:
                      .GIF, DIR Utilities Uploaded
        TCBxxx.ZIP - Takin' Care of Bus. Prof Accounting Package
             CKITOT11 - 'Cheque-It-Out' Personal Accounting
        WALST535 - Wall St Stock Tracker and Portfolio Analyzer

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 90 13:59:32 EST
From: Manjit Trehan <ITMS400%INDYCMS.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Disk Boot Failure

>I have an IBM compatible with a Segate ST-238R 30 meg hard disk.  I
>have been experiencing a disk boot failure every now and then, when the
>systems tries to boot from the HD.  To correct the problem I have to
>boot from the dos floppy.  I then run Norton Utilities doing a disk
>test.  This seems to corect the problem for a while.  What do I need to
>do to permanently correct the problem?  Is this a sign that the hard
>disk is beginning to go bad, could it be a virus, or a bad power
>supply?  Any and all responses would be appreciated.  Please respond to
>me directly.  Thanks in advance for the assist.

I have the same problem with a Seagate ST-238R 30 meg in a compatible
and have found a similar temporary solution.  I would also like to find
out if there is a diagnosis and a permanent solution.  Any helpful
comments and/or suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you.
Manjit S. Trehan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 90 15:34:16 EST
From: Joe Morris <jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org>
Subject: Epson control codes on a LaserJet

In INFO-IBMPC 90:209 you wrote:

> I recently received some plate reader software which requires either an
> IBM compatible (Proprinter.etc ), Epson compatible (Epson LQ, LX,
> FX..etc) or Okidata ( 190, 290) printers ... unfortunately I have an HP
> Laser III.  Anyone know of an Epson-HP laserjet emulator?

In the past I've used a product called "Laser Control" which does this;
for the few cases I needed it it properly translated all of the
interesting Epson codes to the PCL on a LaserJet II.  At one point I
think that H-P marketed it under their own logo but it is actually an
independent product.  Cost as I recall was about $100 at Egghead.

If you can't find something by this name drop me a note and I'll
conduct an archaeological dig in my basement to see if I can find the
manual.  I dropped the code some time ago, not because of any problems
with it but because I didn't need it.

Joe Morris

------------------------------

Date: 26 Dec 90 00:02:45 GMT
From: claris!netcom!feustel@ames.arc.nasa.gov (David Feustel)
Subject: PKZIP

I just tried CPBACKUP and it hung three times out of three(twice on the
same file) during backup to my 20 meg Tandy Bernoulli. I successfully
backed up to the Bernoulli with Fastback Plus, but I haven't been able
to do a RESTORE.  I'm calling 5th Generation about that tomorrow.

David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.uucp

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 90 12:54 GMT
From: <HARISH%ITIVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Lotus Development Corp and Household Marketplace

The following was sent to me and I believe is of sufficient importance
to those on this list and hence am forwarding it.

Lotus Development Corp. is planning on releasing a CD-ROM called
"HOUSEHOLD MARKETPLACE".  This CD-ROM claims to contain data of about
120 million people in the US.  It lists income profiles, spending
habits and marital status among other things.  This is believed to be
an infringement of an individual's privacy and rights.  Lotus says that
this CD-ROM will only be sold to "legitimate businesses".

Now, if you don't want mail-order and other telemarketing outfits to
bug you, you'll have to write in to Lotus to explicitly exclude you
from their list.

You can write to:

        Lotus Development Corp.
        Attn: Market Name Referral Service
        55 Cambridge Parkway
        Cambridge, MA 02142

The Wall Street Journal had run an article in their November 13th's
issue (on page B1) headlined as:

"Lotus - New Program Spurs Fears Privacy Could Be Undermined."

FYI and regards,

Harish Pillay                              harish@itivax.bitnet
CSA Research Pte Ltd                       harish@ece.orst.edu
12 Science Park Drive #03-01
Singapore 0511                    (soon)...!hp-pcd!orstcs!temasek!harish
65-772-0594 (w), 65-278-4191 (h)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 90 15:58:37 PST
From: debbie@IRIS.CLAREMONT.EDU (Debbie Hoekman)
Subject: Text Retrieval programs

You may want to contact Personal Library Software
						15215 Shady Grove Road
						Rockville MD 20850
						301-926-1402 voice
						301-963-9738 fax

I think their software will handle your files easily.

You may get better (more) responses by posting this on comp.databases

I would be interested in a summary of recommendations that you get. I
am still in the process of evaluating text-retrieval software for my
own uses; (I am leaning towards Personal Librarian or Advanced
Revelation).

debbie@iris.claremont.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 90 09:11:57 pst
From: johnp@gssc.gss.com (John Providenza)
Subject: X-windows for MS-DOS.

I don't want to send you a long commercial, so...

Our company, Graphic Software Systems, makes several products that
"turn your PC into an X terminal". If you're interested, we are at

	9590 SW Gemini Dr.
	Beaverton, Or, 97005

	(503) 641-2200

Our facility is closed for the holidays until Jan 2.

John Providenza

------------------------------

Date: 26 December 1990 23:45:45 CST
From: Darius Vaskelis <U39648@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: 16-bit memory on a 32-bit '386

I have an IBM PS/2 Model 50, with an Aox MicroMASTER 386 card.  (The
system is a 16-bit Microchannel system based on a 10MHz 286, the
MicroMASTER is an adapter card that is a bus-master with a 25MHz 386
that becomes an alternative master for the computer, and relegates the
286 to low level I/O work...  software to let the 286 run code at the
same time the 386 does has been promised sometime in '91.)

Anyway, the system has 1M of slow 16-bit memory on the motherboard, and
currently 4M of fast 32-bit memory on the MicroMASTER card.

Normally, I run it with the slow 16-bit memory disabled.  This gives me
adequate speed for my applications, since they run exclusively in 4M of
32-bit memory.

Instead of just "turning off" my slow 1M, I'd like to use it for a
RAMdisk or a disk cache or ANYTHING useful besides just idle silicon.
It is not acceptable to use as as regular memory mixed in with the 4M,
because as soon as code starts running out of it, my 25MHz 386 becomes
very sluggish and reminds me of a 16MHz 386SX...

I run this system with the BlueMAX memory manager from Qualitas.  (It's
386MAX tweaked for IBM PS/2s, it can compress the 128K ROM BIOS on IBM
PS/2s to only 48K by disabling the ABIOS, POST, and Cassette BASIC
which leaves me more high memory usable for "hiding" TSRs and device
drivers from the lower 640K.)  With the slow 16-bit memory enabled, I
get 832K of it mapped at address 003D0000h.  (The other 192K is used by
the MicroMASTER and cannot be accessed for use.  I can make the
MicroMASTER map only 640K of 16-bit memory to the 386, if this makes a
difference.)  So my memory from 003D0000h (3904K) to right before
004A0000 (4736K) is about 3.6 times slower than the 32-bit memory if I
leave it enabled.  Which I don't.

So, I'm looking for a RAMdisk or disk cache or print spooler or
anything at all that will let me use address 003D0000h to just before
004A0000h for something useful.  BlueMAX 5.10 is compliant with LIMspec
EMS 4.0, XMS 3.0, VCPI, Virtual DMA Services, and DMPI (Windows 3.0) so
the memory can be accessed in a variety of neat ways.  Can anyone help?

- Darius
  BITNET: U39648@UICVM
Internet: u39648@uicvm.uic.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Dec 90 14:13:59 HOE
From: ISOURIAL@EGIDSCVM.bitnet
Subject: Looking for the Animation Program TOPAZ

HELLO FROM EGYPT;
DOES ANYBODY USE THE ANIMATION PROGRAM PROVIDED BY AT&T "TOPAZ" ??  WE
RECENTLY ACQUIRED A COPY BUT WE'RE STILL EXPERIMENTING WITH IT.  WE
WOULLD APPRECIATE ANY TECHNICAL INFO. ALSO PLEASE SEND ANY USAGE
PROBLEMS THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE ENCOUNTERED.  ONE FINAL QUESTION : DO YOU
KNOW OF ANY EQUIVALENT PACKAGES ??

REGARDS;
ISHAK I. SOURIAL (ISOURIAL@EGIDSCVM)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 12:21 U
From: WHLIN%TWNCTU01.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Dybanic Data Exchange and Inter Application Communication

     I hope some one could give me hints about these questions:

1. Does any one knows how to implement Dynamic Data Exchange(DDE), or
Inter-Application-Communication (IAP)?

So far as I know, System 7.0 for Macintosh and OS/2 have this facility.
(Does Window 3.0 have the same function to; may called live-paste)But I
want to know more about it, how it can be done, the theorem or simple
data structure.  If you know any paper or any book that talk about it,
please tell me.

2. Is there anyone has the experiences of writing DAs, would you mind
tell me more about it? I wants to know the differnce between DA(MAC)
and TSR(PC).

                     (This is in Taiwan )  Johnathon Kao

------------------------------

Date: 26 Dec 90 14:46:00 CST
From: "55SRWLGS" <55srwlgs@sacemnet.af.mil>
Subject: STACKER

     Just got a flier in the mail about a program called STACKER. It's
one of those programs which increases hard disk space by compressing
program and other files.

     This one seems to be more like the French Freeware program LZEXE,
or maybe Phil Katz's newest program, PKLITE. STACKER saves space by,
according to their ad/flier:

     1. by replacing repeated sequences of bytes it finds in your file
with tokens that point to a previous occurance. This process that
removes redundance and takes less space is called lossless data
compression because no data is lost in the process.

     2. Stacker uses less of your disk to store small files by
allocating your disk space in 512-byte sectors instead of 2048 - byte
clusters.

     Item 1 sounds like STACKER might be similar to LZEXE and PKLTE.
Item 2 I don't know what tradeoffs you might have to put up with.

     Has anyone else used/worked with STACKER? Appreciate any thoughts.

Frank Starr
55srwlgs@sacemnet.af.mil

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 90 15:51:32 EDT
From: Einstein <PRODUCAO@BRUFMGEE>
Subject: Linear Programming Software LINDO

May I ask you a favour ?  I am interested in the LINEAR PROGRAMMING
software LINDO (5000 lines X 15000 columns, or a larger version),
IBM/PC-DOS compatible.  Would you suggest me a way of obtain it ?

                Many Thanks,
                              Einstein Lopes Tonini (BRAZIL)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 22:56:07 CST
From: gersic@ACS.NIU.EDU (David Gersic)
Subject: .GIF, DIR Utilities Uploaded

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.gif>
GIF-CSRC.ZIP	C source code for a GIF decoder
GIF-DOC.ZIP	Text files on the new and old GIF formats
		(from CompuServe) and on GIF compression algorthm
GIF-PAS.ZIP	Pascal source code for a GIF viewer
GIFSRC.ZIP	Pascal and 8086 assembler source for a GIF viewer

pd1:<msdos.dirutl>
GCD_100.ZIP	Change directories with the cursor keys, mouse,
		or with speed search for a partial path. graphical,
		and very fast.

			      => David <=

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 90 22:21 MST
From: "Frank J. Wancho" <WANCHO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: TCBxxx.ZIP - Takin' Care of Bus. Prof Accounting Package

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.database>
TCBINST.ZIP     Takin' Care of Bus. 1.0a Install/Examples,1of6
TCBMAIN.ZIP     Takin' Care of Bus. 1.0a Main Program, 2of6
TCBGL.ZIP       Takin' Care of Bus. 1.0a General Ledger, 3of6
TCBAP.ZIP       Takin' Care of Bus. 1.0a Acc'ts Payable, 4of6
TCBAR.ZIP       Takin' Care of Bus. 1.0a Acc'ts Recvable, 5of6
TCBPAYRL.ZIP    Takin' Care of Bus. 1.0a Payroll, 6of6

"Takin' Care of Business! Lite (Version 1.0a)" from Hooper
International Inc., is a shareware "professional accounting package for
non-accountants."  The basic package consists of TCBINST.ZIP,
TCBMAIN.ZIP, and TCBGL.ZIP (General Ledger), and must be installed
prior to using any of TCBAP (Accounts Payable), TCBAR.ZIP (Accounts
Receivable), or TCBPAYRL.ZIP (Payroll for up to 1,000 employees).  Each
ZIP file must be unzipped to a floppy and then installed from the
floppy disk.

Hooper International, Inc., P.O. Box 50200, Colorado Springs, CO 80949
719-528-8989 or 800-245-7789

I received this package by mail directly from its author.

--Frank

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 90 22:20 MST
From: "Frank J. Wancho" <WANCHO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: CKITOT11 - 'Cheque-It-Out' Personal Accounting

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.database>
CKITOT11.ZIP    Personal double-entry accounting system v.1.1a

"CHEQUE-IT-OUT" is a shareware double-entry accounting system from
Hooper International Inc., that includes check writing (any check
format), code tracking for income and expenses, two-level password
protection, recurring transactions, context-sensitive help screens,
automatic datafile backup utility, and a complete range of financial
reports.  It also prints checks from any transaction screen and creates
graphs.  Allows for unlimited transactions and up to 2,000 accounts.
Allows budgets for income and expense accounts, tracks income, assets,
liabilities, expenses, net worth and capital.

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 90 22:22 MST
From: "Frank J. Wancho" <WANCHO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: WALST535 - Wall St Stock Tracker and Portfolio Analyzer

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.finance>
WALST535.ZIP    Wall Street stock-tracker & portfolio analyzer

A menu-driven portfolio management package for stock and bond
investors.  Tracks buy/sell transactions, short sells, current,
increased or decreased value by item or whole portfolio, and other
stats.  From STANCOatlanta (STANCOM, Inc.), 2615 Shallowford Rd., N.E.,
Atlanta, GA 30345, Stan Mislow, 404-636-2179.

I received this package by mail directly from its author.  It replaces
WALLST55 which was recently uploaded to SIMTEL20.  The author says that
version 5.35 is the latest official release.  He says version 5.5 has
bugs and it was prematurely released by a Beta tester.  He asks that
anyone who sees version 5.5 please notify the SysOp of the BBS and ask
that it be deleted.

--Frank

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V90 #215
-------