Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (01/14/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 13 Jan 91       Volume 91 : Issue  10

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
            Physical file NUL on disk  (Was: NUL, the file)
                     File name pecularities in DOS.
                    Re: Reported QEMM virus (V91 #4) (3 msgs)
                           Sound Blaster Card

Today's Queries:
                       CD ROM player for the PC?
                    Gateway Internet/GEnie Available
                         Info-IBMPC Digest V90
                              PKLITE 1.03
                     Query for 3Com Administrators
                         Third party for Tandy
                       VMS EDT for PC (shareware)
                         Packard-Bell MACRO Key

New Uploads:
      CORWP17.ZIP - CoreWar Plus V1.7 game environment (textmode)
      JORJ phonetic spell checker/dictionary uploaded to SIMTEL20
      LOGOPAT.ZIP - Patches IBM LOGO for VGA & 386 (TP3 src & exe)
      SELECT.ZIP - Select from multiple AUTOEXEC files on boot-up

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 15:15 MET
From: "Jim Groeneveld" <GROENEVELD%NIPG.TNO.NL@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Physical file NUL on disk  (Was: NUL, the file)

1. Creation of file NUL.
Firstly I was not able to create a file NUL deliberately. Not even
after booting without having used the redirection '>NUL' yet. I have
the experience and got the impression from others, that such a file
sometimes emerges by accident, without knowing how or how to replicate
the accident.  I tried to create the file using the following commands:

      ECHO this should be the file NUL >ZERO
      REN ZERO NUL

This yielded: Duplicate file name or File not found.  Then I found out
doing it using Norton's QuickUnerase:

      ECHO this should be the file NUL >BUL
      DEL BUL
      QU NUL
      DIR NUL does NOT show it (File not found)
      DIR ?UL shows it! (or N?L, NU?, NUL?, NUL*, etc.)
My file manager PFM (vs. 2.28) shows it as well, as do other file
managers.

2. Deletion of file NUL.
a.    DEL NUL does not have the desired effect (Access denied).  My
file manager PFM neither can delete it as is.

b.    DEL ?UL does it! (It also deletes all other files with that
wildcard.) or    DEL N?L or DEL NU? or DEL NUL? or DEL NUL*, etc.

c.    REN ?UL ZERO (or other wildcards)
      DEL ZERO

Jim Groeneveld.
E-mail: GROENEVELD@NIPG.TNO.NL (internet address)
File xfer: GROENEVELD@HDETNO51.BITNET (EARN advress)
NIPG-TNO [postal/visiting address] | Y. Groeneveld
P.O.Box 124    | Wassenaarseweg 56 | Schoolweg 14
2300 AC Leiden | 2333 AL Leiden    | 8071 BC Nunspeet
Nederland (NL) | (+31|0)71-178810  | 03412-60413
[office]     Fax (+31|0)71-176382  | [home]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 15:15 MET
From: "Jim Groeneveld" <GROENEVELD%NIPG.TNO.NL@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: File name pecularities in DOS.

Sometimes from within a program I create files with spaces within the
names accidentally, which DOS can not handle. DrHalo or PFM or even
GWBASIC let you do it! To delete or rename them I use the wildcard
method, which always works as far as I have found. PFM and GWBASIC
(KILL) can also do it. However, with such specific programs filenames
with embedded spaces may be used legally.

Did you know that path and filenames may also contain *ALL* extended
characters (127-255)? At least with DOS 3.x. Deleted files
automatically get the sigma character (229) as the first one from DOS.
Just changing this character to another using the Norton Utilities (or
whatever) one does only undelete the first cluster of the file
appropriately. With files of more than one cluster in size it causes
problems like "First cluster number is invalid, entry truncated." The
FAT will be damaged, so beware of doing so (only for experimental
purposes and restoring the original situation right there after) or you
get cross linked clusters and if you then delete specific files other
files may be damaged. Undeletion (as with NU or QU) needs more than
only replacing this character.

If you have cross linked clusters then first copy the files concerned
to a safe place (another directory or disk) (the copies are not cross
linked) and second delete all the crosslinked files. You may have lost
some parts of files already, but you may be able to save as much as
possible and restoring the integrity file structure in this way.

The opposite (changing the first character into the sigma-character)
causes lost clusters if this change has been performed using the Norton
Utilities.  So do *NOT* do it (or only once for testing). If you have
such a situation by accident try running CHKDSK /F and convert lost
chains to files for inspection.

You may create or rename files into legal names with the
sigma-character as the first one, which are not deleted files! Instead
of the sigma-character on disk the character ascii-5 is stored as the
first character. Viewing the name and referencing it through DOS
yields/needs the sigma-character again. Sigma- characters for
succeeding ones within the names remain unchanged.

Thus you may have file names with embedded ascii-255 characters,
showing as spaces. This feature may be used to hide real names for
ignorant users as some system of protection if those characters are
used at the end of the path or file name or extension. One might use
this kind of naming with temporary files which should not be accessed
by users, instead of e.g. $$temp$$.@#%.

Are you, and especially programmers among you, aware of the fact that
path names may have extensions of up to three characters as well? Some
software does not seem to account for these circumstances (Alt-F files
display in ProComm+, PC-Write vs. 3.x and others).

If anyone knows even more about these undocumented DOS features, please
reply.

Date: Mon,  7 Jan 1991 10:34:48.19 MST
From: <smith_s%GC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> (Steven W. Smith)
Subject: Re: Reported QEMM virus (V91 #4)

>Date: Tue, 1 Jan 91 10:58:09 -0500
>From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil>

>Received from the Fido Dr. Debug Echo, 1 Jan 91.

>FROM:    Richard Crain                 Area # 23 (    Dr. Debug     )

>I have found what appears to be a virus on the factory supplied disk
>from Quarterdeck on the QEMM386 V5.1 diskette in the Optimize.com amd
>install.exe programs. These 2 programs contain a HEX signature of
>EAF0FF00F0 which indicates the possible presence of the 648 virus. This
[text deleted]

>The HEX string to look for is EAF0FF00F0

  I have the same release of QEMM386, containing the same hex string,
and I'm relatively certain that it is not infected with anything.  I
think that the problem may be in the search string that he's using to
detect the 648 virus, EAF0FF00F0 is the code for JMP F000:FFF0  - it
performs a system reboot.  I went so far as to disassemble OPTIMIZE,
and found nothing that causes me concern (granted, I didn't spend days
scrutinizing it, I just looked for more obvious viral signs).  I also
stepped through a good portion of OPTIMIZE using DEBUG, and again, no
sign of a virus.

  _,_/|
  \o.O;   Steven W. Smith, Programmer/Analyst
 =(___)=  Glendale Community College, Glendale Az. USA
    U     SMITH_S@GC.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 91 16:22:03 -0500
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil>
Subject: QEMM virus: false alarm

A while ago I forwarded a virus alarm I'd picked up on the Fido Dr. Debug
Echo, that went something like this:

 >FROM:    Richard Crain                 Area # 23 (    Dr. Debug     )
 >SUBJECT: Virus

 >I have found what appears to be a virus on the factory supplied disk
 >from Quarterdeck on the QEMM386 V5.1 diskette in the Optimize.com amd
[text deleted]

Remember that?

Well, after a few days, some more messages came down the pipe.  They
basically confirm that suspect hex string, but find no indications of a
virus in QEMM 5.1 or OPTIMIZE.COM.  (By the bye, that HEX signature is
the binary command for a warm boot, *not* uncommon in programs and *not*
necessarily indicative of a virus.)

Finally, from the original sender:

FROM:   Richard Crain                   Area # 23 (    Dr. Debug     )
Re: Virus

 >CZ Who at quarterdeck did you talk to? I called today and they said
 >CZ  they knew nothing about it. They took down the info that you
 >CZ mentioned,
 >CZ please keep me informed as to what you find out. I also have a corupted
 >CZ orginal disk.

   Since my original message, I believe the problem was due to a new
version of a program I use for renumbering my message base. This
version, instead of making BIOS calls, goes after the directories
itself. This shows a major improvement in speed, at the expense of
added danger.

   The command line was wrong for this new version, and upon discussing
this with my node sysop, who set it up, the command lines were wrong
for the old version as well. Upon correcting the command line, my
problems have gone away for now.

   What originaly led me to believe it was Quarterdecks fault is this,
I had just used optimize the night that things started to go sour, the
next morning, half of my .EXE files were corrupt. The virus scanner
found a hex signature for the 648 virus in optimize on the hard disk
and on the factory diskette.

   The author of the program has removed this HEX signature from the
sigfile and replaced it with one more unique than before. Also, he
added a separate file of different hex signatures for this virus, to
only be used IF the virus is confirmed. It is hard to detect as it
aparently uses legitemate code found in innocent programs.

--- msged 1.99S ZTC
 * Origin: DinoPoint 2  (1:104/114.2)

So .. bottom line, Netlandians:  false alarm.  No virus on Quarterdeck
factory QEMM diskettes.  Go back to work.

Oh, yeah, one final disclaimer: Just because I forwarded a message
related to QEMM does *not* make me a QEMM Wizard, ok?  I know *zip*
about QEMM!

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 91 23:44:36 EST
From: KEN CARR <EN427001@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Sound Blaster Card

Mrs. Santa gave me a Creative Labs Sound Blaster sound board for X'mas.
I'd like to post a few comments about it.

1 - It does have 11 voice FM music, digitized voice output & input &
joy port

2 - Speaker connections is by a supplied RCA plug

3 - Microphone jack is 1/8" - I use my 1/4" mike w/adapter.

4 - The 12 voice C/MS music capability is not included - this is a $35
option that you must mail for; original advertizing said this was
included ; my unit costs $159 form Compuadd; another local store sells
same for $200..be on the lookout for buys.

5 - The FMOrgan software included is nice - sound quality is that of a
moderate priced Casio (my Casio sounds better; the C/MS may improve
quality)

6 - It will speak text or text files using an included TSR program;
nice but it runs a bit slow on my XT.

7 - The sound sampling works nicely. Compressed files take less space
but don't sound as good. Best results by recording to tape first & then
making a direct patch to the S.B. board at low volume (it has own amp).

8 - Overall I am very happy with the card and look to buying some
software which really uses it. I will also get the C/MS chips. Please
send me any not too technical questions you may have. (costs $100 more
for complete Software Developer Kit for use with Microsoft C and Quick
Basic.)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 91 12:08:05 -0800
From: "Michael T. Horne" <mhorne%ka7axd.tv.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: CD ROM player for the PC?

	- What CD-ROM disc players are available for the PC?
	- How do they interface to the PC?  SCSI?  Floppy controller?  Other?
	- How much do they typically cost?
	- For those of you who have used one, what are your personal feelings
towards using a CD-ROM to access large databases?  How is the
performance (obviously it's a function of the program accessing the
data; I'm looking for general comments on existing programs)?

If anyone has a compiled list of vendors for CD-ROM players aimed at
the PC, I'd greatly appreciate a copy!  Thanks for any and all
information!

Mike Horne
mhorne%ka7axd.tv.tek.com@relay.cs.net

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jan 91 21:47:00 CST
From: "55SRWLGS" <55srwlgs@sacemnet.af.mil>
Subject: Gateway Internet/GEnie Available

	As a GENIE subscriber, so far as I know, GENIE can only talk to
itself. I have been pestering them for connectivity to other sources,
including things like THE SOURCE, COMPUSERVE, and MCI MAIL.

	At first, I got a "form letter" response that they were seeking a way
to interface while preserving user privacy rights. Then, they said that
they were hoping to have something within about 6 months.

	Until then, if someone knows of a "hidden key", I hope it gets posted
on INFOIBMPC.

Frank Starr
55srwlgs@sacemnet.af.mil

[You can get to/from MCIMail and Compuserve, but no-one has ever said
how to get to/from GEnie.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 1991 08:57 IST
From: M SOlow <CUCMS%HUJIVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V90

Pardon the question but does anyone know of possible FTP site for
windows3 other than simtel.  Thanks

M Solow
cucms@hujivm1

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jan 91 11:52:00 EDT
From: "DRCV06::OPER1" <oper1%drcv06.decnet@drcvax.af.mil>
Subject: PKLITE 1.03

        Does anyone know what the format of a PKLITE compressed
executable is?  Also how does PKLITE 1.03 know that an executable
contains overlays?

Glenn.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 91 15:28 CST
From: "John Nierengarten, Academic Computing, UW-River Falls"
Subject: Query for 3Com Administrators

Does anyone know of a discussion group for people who operate and/or
administrate 3Com personal computer networks?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 06:00:00 EST
From: Pat Bauco <PBAUCO@CSBN.Concordia.CA>
Subject: Third party for Tandy

Hi,

        I would like to know if there are any third party vendors for
Tandy computer products (specifically for portables).  I have a Tandy
2800HD and would like to know what else is available other than from
Tandy themselves.

Thanks
Pat Bauco

BITNET: PBAUCO@CSBN.CONCORDIA.CA
        BAUCO@VAX2.CONCORDIA.CA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 91 13:13 CDT
From: <BBHULSEY%UAMS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: VMS EDT for PC (shareware)

Greetings!

Does anyone out there know if there exists a shareware version of an
EDT type text editor for the PC?  I know there are commercially
available versions available for both EDT and TPU.

Thanx!

Bruce Hulsey
Univ. of Arkansas for Medical Sciences

bbhulsey@uams.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 91 20:49:58 EST
From: Timothy Buck <TIMBUCK@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU>
Subject: Packard-Bell MACRO Key

On several models of Packard-Bell brand computers there is a key on the
keyboard labled "MACRO".  My keyboard has this key, yet I can find no
reference to its programming or use in the computer's documentation.
Does anyone know how to use this key or where I can find out (like an
e-mail address for Packard-Bell)?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Dec 90 16:17:55 -0500
From: stst@cs.albany.edu (Stefan Strack)
Subject: CORWP17.ZIP - CoreWar Plus V1.7 game environment (textmode)

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.education>
CORWP17.ZIP     CoreWar Plus V1.7 game environment (textmode)

CoreWar Plus Version 1.7 is a textmode-only implementation of A.K.
Dewdney's game COREWARS introduced in Scientific American. In CORWARS,
programs written in the assembly-style Redcode language fight each
other in a simulated, circular memory array ("Core"). CoreWar Plus is a
menu-driven environment for writing, debugging and running battle
programs. It features support for all standard Redcode instructions
(incl. SPL, PCT) and addressing modes (incl. autoincrement, -decrement)
plus stack-based instructions. The number of programs and subprocesses
that the interpreter can run simultaneously is limited only by
available memory.  Version 1.7 also includes a Redcode preprocessor
that allows label-based addressing and symbol definitions.

        - Stefan
          stst@cs.albany.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Dec 90 16:11:00 EST
From: CHOWR@HSCvax.CSU.McMaster.CA
Subject: JORJ phonetic spell checker/dictionary uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.txtutl>
JORJ41-A.ZIP    Phonetic spell checker/dictionary, 1 of 2
JORJ41-B.ZIP    Phonetic spell checker/dictionary, 2 of 2

JORJ is a phonetic English dictionary and spell checker.  It can be
used from the command line or in memory-resident mode.  JORJ41-A.ZIP
contains the program and documentation, and JORJ41-B.ZIP contains the
50000 word database.

R Chow

rc            chowr@hscvax.csu.mcmaster.ca

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Dec 90 02:14:27 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: LOGOPAT.ZIP - Patches IBM LOGO for VGA & 386 (TP3 src & exe)

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.logo>
LOGOPAT.ZIP     Patches IBM LOGO for VGA & 386 (TP3 src & exe)

LOGOPAT changes IBM LOGO so that it can run on EGA, VGA and MCGA cards.
It also removes a bug which only showed up on 386 machines.  Just runb
it will create LOGOVGA.COM, and this file will run on VGA cards and 286
machines.

ERICH NEUWIRTH
BITNET (EARN): A4422DAB@AWIUNI11
INTERNET:      a4422dab@Helios.EDVZ.UniVie.AC.AT
Institute for Statistics and Computer Science
UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA, UNIVERSITAETSSTR. 5/9, A-1010 VIENNA, AUSTRIA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 91 05:59 CST
From: "Jon Robertson" <JMROBERTSON%UALR.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: SELECT.ZIP - Select from multiple AUTOEXEC files on boot-up

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.batutl>
SELECT.ZIP      Select from multiple AUTOEXEC files on boot-up

Jon
JMROBERT@UALR.BITNET

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #10
-------