Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (01/14/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 14 Jan 91       Volume 91 : Issue  11

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                IBM PS/2 8513 FREE 'Fuzzy' Replacements
                Re: Gateway for Internet/ GEnie (V91 #5)
                             PCMAG volumes
                              PC RIM files
                  QEMM virus report (V91 #4) (3 msgs)
                Accessing the SIMTEL20 Archives (2 msgs)
                          Re: STACKER (V91 #2)
                           Xserver on MS-DOS

Taday's Queries:
                   looking to practice UNIX under DOS
                         NetNews reader for PC
                      Printer output redirection?
                        Printer Sharing Devices

New Uploads:
        Maximus 1.02 Fidonet compatable BBS uploaded to SIMTEL20

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 20:02:59 -0500
From: frank@ut-emx.uucp (Frank Abernathy)
Subject: IBM PS/2 8513 FREE 'Fuzzy' Replacements

Several people have requested more information about the IBM 8513 Free
replacement program; and others may have missed the original posting.

As this posting can SAVE MONEY for individuals and businesses I am
reposting my original.

==================

Got an OUT OF FOCUS 8513 VGA monitor from IBM?

Is its serial number in the range 72-0000000 to 72-0640000  ??

If so, then you are eligible for a FREE Replacement/Repair from IBM !!

Per IBM ECA-017, (extension dated 11/19/90), you can contact IBM and
get your failing unit replaced.  There is some question as to how
'fuzzy' is fuzzy, but it looks as if you can get your failing 8513, in
the range above, replaced for free.

Call your local IBM Dealer or IBM directly at 800-426-7378 for more
details.  If they don't know what you're talking about, have them get
hold of the local IBM marketing rep., and ask them to look up the
extension to ECA017, of the IBM 8513/85XX series of ECAs dated
11/19/90.

*****
(Note that since my original posting I've received a copy of ECA017 of
89-05-02 as revised on 91-01-01 which says the purpose of the ECA is to
"Provide a replacement 8513 Color Display for a failing unit.  This ECA
has been extended to four years from date of purchase.")
*****

Proof of purchase may be required.  Hurry as this is an extension and
the offer will probably evaporate soon...

Hope this helps someone with a dying 8513...

(This info was originally provided to me by another IBM customer.  It
can also be found in IBM Technical Newsletter # SN28-9797-00, under
ECA017)

-- Frank Abernathy,
University of Texas at Austin,
frank@ut-emx.utexas.edu
Work: (512)-471-3216      Home: (512)-244-0625 (ans. mach always on...)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Jan 91 21:52:39 CST
From: Mark Moody <CCMARKM@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU>
Subject: Re: Gateway for Internet/ GEnie (V91 #5)

>From: Trevor Cradduck <trevorc@uwovax.uwo.ca>

>Does anyone know of a gateway to/from Internet and GEnie?

There is currently no gateway between internet and GEnie, When I
checked with them at one time they were considering usenet feeds,
however I don't think any thing ever came of it.  Compuserve does have
a mail ONLY gateway though.  Hope this helps.

Mark

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 07:32:15 CST
From: peterson@choctaw.csc.ti.com (Bob Peterson)
Subject: PC RIM files

  Gene Collins <GR.AGC@ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU> asked:

> I'm looking for the FORTRAN source code for a database manager called
> RIM or PC-RIM.  Does anyone know of an anonymous FTP site where I could
> obtain this?  Please send responses to GR.AGC@ISUMPS.BITNET.  Thanks in
> advance for your help.

  I run a BBS in Plano, Texas, at 214-596-3720 and have the PC RIM
files you're looking for!  I also have the documents and executables
for MS-DOS.

  File Name Size  Contents
  PCRIMDOC.ZIP   41469  Documentation
  PCRIMEXE.ZIP  151710  .EXE files for MS/PC-DOS
  PCRIMHLP.ZIP   43766  Help files (text)
  PCRIMSRC.ZIP  268744  FORTRAN source files for PC RIM

  I'm not currently in a position to place the files where you can FTP
them.  However, the BBS is free, and allows enough daily online time
for you to grab the RIM files.  You'll have to make two calls, however,
since first-time callers don't have access to the directory containing
RIM.  At 2400 bps a ZModem download of these files would require
slightly more than 30 minutes.

  You can call the BBS at virtually any data rate. High speed
connections must use either V.32 or USR HST modulation.  The modem
supports MNP and V.42bis error correction and compression.  Telebit's
PEP protocol is not supported.  The BBS is down for maintenance between
3 and 3:30 a.m. Central time.

    Bob

   Hardcopy    and    Electronic Addresses:          Office @ Texas Instruments:
Bob Peterson          Compuserve: 70235,326          NB 2nd Floor CSC Aisle C3
P.O. Box 861686       Internet: peterson@csc.ti.com  Landline: 214/995-6080 days
Plano, Tx USA 75086   24 hour BBS: 214/596-3720 @ 1200, 2400, 9600 (HST & V.32)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 19:39:06 EST
From: roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley)
Subject: QEMM virus report (V91 #4)

Gregory,

In Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #4, you posted a message that had been
gatewayed over from Fidonet about a possible virus in QEMM-386 version
5.1:

=> From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil>
=> Received from the Fido Dr. Debug Echo, 1 Jan 91.

=> FROM:    Richard Crain                 Area # 23 (    Dr. Debug     )

=> I have found what appears to be a virus on the factory supplied disk
=> from Quarterdeck on the QEMM386 V5.1 diskette in the Optimize.com amd
=> install.exe programs. [...balance of posting deleted]

I have been in touch with Quarterdeck Office Systems because we make
extensive use of QEMM-386 in our development environment, and received
the following FAX from them.

Start of FAX =============================
Dear Mr. Stanley,

Thanks for forwarding the FidoNet message.  We will see if we can crawl
on FidoNet and set the record strait (sic).

For the record, the byte string "EA F0 FF 00 F0" can indeed be found in
the OPTIMIZE.EXE and INSTALL.EXE as well as QEMM386.SYS.

That code is JMP F000:FFF0.  It is the way that we reboot the system.
It is an intentional part of our code, not the result of a virus.
While rebooting the system is something a virus might do, having this
code in your program certainly does not make you a virus.  If this is
the signature some virus scan program is using to detect the 648 virus,
it would seem they need to devise a more discriminating test.

Please be assured that our programs are produced under highly
controlled circumstances and that great care is taken throughout our
organization with respect to virus infection.  We are confident that
none of the products we have ever shipped have contained viruses.  Of
course, our disk, like any unprotected diskette is subject to infection
by a virus when it is installed on a machine which already carries a
virus.  If you are concerned about this, you should obtain and run one
of the many good virus detection programs, but again, the report you
forwarded does not indicate a virus.

Hopefully, all of this helps you breath easier.

Stan Young
Technical Support
End of FAX =======

We had no evidence of a virus on any of our systems, but I thought I
ought to inform them of this report.  I have informed Quarterdeck that
I am forwarding their reply to you.  I believe that you should publish
this information as soon as possible, to allay fears that may have been
started by the wide dissemination of the original report.  If you wish
to cross-check my information before publishing it (I, too, could be a
malicious prankster), Quarterdeck's standard phone line is (213)
392-9851, and their technical support line is (213) 392-9701.

I have no connection with Quarterdeck other than as an extremely
satisfied user of QEMM-386.

Robert S
Robert Stanley  UUCP: uunet!mitel!cunews!cognos!roberts   3755 Riverside Drive
Cognos, Inc.    INet: roberts%cognos.uucp@ccs.carleton.ca PO Box 9707, Ottawa
(Research)     Alice: (613) 738-1338 x6115 (EST/EDT)      Ont  K1G 3Z4, Canada

------------------------------

Date: 07 Jan 91 16:01:10 EST
From: "David.M.Chess" <CHESS%YKTVMV.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu>

That person has some serious misinformation, I'm afraid; the 648 virus,
while it does contain those 5 bytes, doesn't infect EXE files or
overlays (unless they have the extension "COM"), and doesn't write
zeros into files as he describes.  The five bytes he gives as the "sign
of the virus" are just five bytes that cause the machine to reboot.
The 648 sometimes inserts this into programs, but there are many
legitimate programs out there that contain those five bytes for good
non-viral reasons (they want to reboot the machine, for instance).

My guess would be (can't be anything like sure at this distance, of
course) that he's just got something mundane, like a conflict between
QEMM and his disk driver software...

DC

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 10:59:41 -0500
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil>

Follow-up on earlier QEMM virus false alarm.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall

Date: Tue, 08 Jan 91 12:39:26 PDT
From: qos.tech@dawggon.fidonet.org (Quarterdeck Tech)

   Apparently there is a rumour going around on several electronic
networks that there is a virus on the Quarterdeck's distribution
diskettes that contain OPTIMIZE.COM or INSTALL.EXE.  Nothing could be
farther from the truth.

   The rumour in question centres around the Vienna 648 virus (which
affects overlays).  The Vienna 648 virus evidently contains the machine
instructions EA F0 FF 00 F0.  This set of instructions unassembles to
the instruction JMP F000:FFF0 -- a perfectly legitimate instruction,
which in fact we use.   Some virus scanning programs test for this
instruction (which reboots the machine, by the way) and give you a
false-positive reading.

   We develop and produce our disks with the greatest of care and
control, and we take every possible measure to guarantee the security
of your system.  Rest assured that Quarterdeck's software is, and will
remain, virus-free.

Regards,

Eric Wieling
Quarterdeck Technical Support (USA)

PS: Please feel free to post the above message to the UseNet
NewsGroups.

uucp: uunet!m2xenix!dawggon!qos.tech
Internet: qos.tech@dawggon.fidonet.org

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91  15:50 GMT
From: SASTRY%RMCS.CRANFIELD.AC.UK@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
Subject: Accessing the SIMTEL20 Archives

Would some one be kind enough to send me info on how to obtain files
such as pd1:<msdos.filedocs>aaaread.me please?  I have to access
VAX/VMS and  FTP ( don't I need a password to down load them)

Sorry, if that sounds stupid.
Thanks in advance.
Venkat Sastry
sastry@ik.ac.cran.rmcs  (janet)

[Not a Problem!  See the next message.  If you're asking, there might
be others that need the same information.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jan 90
From:  Gregory Hicks <ghicks@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject:  Accessing the WSMR-SIMTEL20 Archives

The Simtel20 Archives discussed are available from:
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details
on file directories and descriptions.)  Problems with files obtained
from the Archives should be addressed to:
<ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 and DS0RUS1I (Germany), EB0UB011 (Spain), FRMOP11 (France),
HEARN (Netherlands), IMIPOLI (Italy), TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN
(Turkey).

SIMTEL20 is not accessible on the first Wednesday of each month from
6-10pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most SIMTEL20 MSDOS files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC has multiple lines which
support 300/1200/2400/9600/14400 bps (HST/V.32/V.42/V.42bis/MNP5).
This is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents.
It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via
StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to SIMTEL20 are usually available
on DDC within 24 hours.

    <rjc@math.princeton.edu> operates a mail server that sends, by
return mail, a series of files that answer quite a few of the most
frequently asked questions on the net.  This server will also look up
programs in the SIMTEL20 index, the grape index, and the chyde index.
If you send email to <rjc@math.princeton.edu> with no subject and
containing the single line "help", you will receive instructions;
sending the message "directory" gives you an index of all the files
available on the server.

    A set of files you might be interested in is obtaining are faq.csip
old.questions and faq.more.  These files contain answers to more
frequently asked questions.  To obtain these files, just send the
two-line message:

        path your-return-path-goes-here
        send desired-file

(ie: "send faq.csip", "send old.questions", or "send faq.more") to
rjc@math.princeton.edu.  Of course, replace "your-return-address" with
your actual return address.  UK users please remember to reverse the
JANET path.  DO NOT INCLUDE A SUBJECT LINE FOR THESE MESSAGES.

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jan 91 23:19:28 GMT
From: Atari!imagen.com!glenn@ames.arc.nasa.gov (glenn boozer)
Subject: Re: STACKER (V91 #2)

Stacker is a DOS driver that takes a file on your hard disk and turns
it into a logical disk volume.  The data on this logical disk volume is
compressed.

I am using Stacker and it works well.  I am getting 1.5 to 1
compression.

I had a 60 meg disk with 5 meg free.  I now have a 120 meg disk with 70
meg free.  all numbers are aprox.

Stacker is Windows 3.0 compatable and I needed that.  It is also DOS
4.01 compatable.

My only problem is that PC/NFS doesn't like stacker.  PC/NFS dosn't
like many programs/drivers/Windows 3.0/etc.

Glenn Boozer
QMS
mips.com!mswind!boozer   or  glenn@imagen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 01:32 U
From: <KW20LMH0%TWNITRI1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Xserver on MS-DOS

From Steve Stewart <stewart@watop.nosc.mil> comes the
following query:

<In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest Cl. Michel from the Centre for Medical
<Informatics, UCL in Belgium <michel@infm.ucl.ac.be> asked:

<>We use an Ethernet-TCP/IP network connecting Unix machines. We would
<>like to run X-windows clients (on Unix servers) from MS-DOS PCs, and
<>are *very* interested in getting advises or comments from people who
<>have an operational experience with X-windows implementations for
<>MS-DOS PCs (80386 machines with > 4Mb RAM and VGA cards).

<I also am *very* interested in this same thing.  Would you be so kind
<as to inform me also of any good information you receive on this
<subject?  Thank you in advance.

We have used Locus PC-XSight and VisionWare XVision for our lab, and
both are good enough for a PC Xserver(although they can not offer very
high display quality). We also have an alpha phased product - XLook,
runs only on 386 VGA system.

*PC-XSight : X11R3 server, Display: CGA,MGA,EGA,VGA,SuperVGA, Net:
             TCP/IP System: AT running MS/PC-DOS, 896Kb extended mem.
             or more.  Locus Computing Corporation, 9800 La Cienega
             Blvd.  Inglewood CA 90301-4400, USA.

*XVision :   X11R? server, Net: Need other *resident* net driver.
             System: AT running MS-Windows, 1Mb mem. or more.
             VisionWare Limited, 57 Cardigan Lane
             Leeds, LS2 2LE,  UK.  (e-mail: vware@vision.uucp)

*XLook :     X11R4 server, Display: VGA,SuperVGA, Net: TCP/IP
             System: 386AT, 1Mb mem. or more.
             CCL/ITRI Hsinchu, Taiwan, ROC.

Hope these info. help.

James M. Li
kw20lmh0@twnitri1.bitnet

Here's more info. I just did not flame:
  From: Jon Forrest <forrest@sybase.com>  relayed by
   <XPERT@FINHUTC.bitnet>

I just finished reading "DESQview/X, A Technical Perspective" which
talks about plans for a new version of DESQview. This new version will
contain a whole bunch of stuff, among which are:

       o An MSDOS X server
       o Various window managers
       o Xlib, Xt, and various toolkits
       o MSDOS system software to make all this work right

This document says nothing about cost but, given the rapidly
descreasing price of CPU's and memory, I wonder what DESQview/X will do
to the X-terminal market. For that matter, I wonder if this will help
make developing X applications more profitable since the number of
machines capable of running DESQview/X will be very large.  And, I
wonder what this will do to the Windows 3.0 and OS/2-PM market.  (Of
course, all this assumes that DESQview/X works well).

Jon Forrest WB6EDM
{pacbell,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!forrest
415-596-3422

#include <std.disclaimer>

------------------------------

Subject: Taday's Queries:
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 91 10:16:02 EST
From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: looking to practice UNIX under DOS

I am looking for a program that simulates UNIX on a IBM PC. Perhaps one
that would run under MS-DOS. I just found out I have to learn UNIX as a
prerequisite for a class so I would like to practice using it in my
room.

Thanks.

Chuck R.      bitnet: 346b36g@cmuvm.bitnet    Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, USA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 14:24:04 MEX
From: "Alejandro J. Kurczyn S." <499229@VMTECMEX>
Subject: NetNews reader for PC

Hi, anyone knows where can I find a NetNews reader for PC/PS? I want to
access the USENET news service from my PC.

/Alejandro Kurczyn

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jan 91 09:04:15 GMT
From: ederveen@pttrnl.nl
Subject: Printer output redirection?

I would like to know if it is possible to make the PC think a printer
is attached to it, while in fact there is nothing there. I need to have
something that can be done from DOS, like redirecting printer output to
a file or a null-device or something like that (I don't need to save
the printer-output). Maybe some TSR-program that does the job?  Any
advice or pointers greatly appreciated.

groeten / salutojn,
Derk Ederveen
Kath. Universiteit, Nijmegen
PTT Research NT-TWS, Leidschendam, NL
D_Ederveen@pttrnl.nl
ederveen@hlsdnl5.bitnet   -  -   dnlts::ederveen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 10:08:50 EST
From: Ronnie Judd <RNJUDD%SUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject:   Printer Sharing Devices

I am interested in purchasing some type of printer sharing device for
general office use within our department.  We have between six and
eight potential users and one HP Laser Jet III.  The general type of
flashy fliers with full color glossies has been acquired but of course
these don't have that personal touch of how the thing really works.

The simplest cabling seems to have the most appeal.  Many offer several
serial ports with telco connections.  Running cables is no problem,
there are drop in ceilings and duct work available.

Usage would be greatly varied.  I would expect some days the printer
might never be asked for a page and others the sharing device would
have to try to please three or four faculty members and a couple of
staff at once.  Typicaly I would expect no more than two users vying
for print at a time.

If you have any experience with such devices it would be of great help.
We don't have lots of $$$ to spread around (sure I know you have heard
that before) and would like to get the "biggest bang for the buck."  If
you mail to me I will summarize to the list at some future date.

Thanks in advance...

|  Ronnie N. Judd         |   Syracuse University                       |
|  RNJUDD@SUVM.BITNET     |   Dept. Civil/Environmental Engineering     |
|  Phone (315) 443-5796   |   220 Hinds Hall                            |
|  Fax (315) 443-1243     |   Syracuse, NY 13244-1190                   |

------------------------------

Subject: New Uploads:
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 90 16:09:53 EST
From: Kevin Kreutzweiser <kevin@csg.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Maximus 1.02 Fidonet compatable BBS uploaded to SIMTEL20

The following files have been uploaded to SIMTEL20:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.BBS>
Name         Description                                     Size
------------ ----------------------------------------------- -------
MAX102-1.ZIP Maximus 1.02; New FidoNet-compatible BBS, 1/3   317,451
MAX102-2.ZIP Maximus 1.02; New FidoNet-compatible BBS, 2/3   335,386
MAX102-3.ZIP Maximus 1.02; New FidoNet-compatible BBS, 3/3   223,379
MP102-2.ZIP  Patch #2 for Maximus 1.02; fixes Xtern Dos bug    6,315

Note: Patch #2 replaces Patch #1, and it is no longer required.

                Maximus-CBCS v1.02 Features

* Internal, full-featured full screen editor with paragraph wrapping.

* Internal new-file checker and mailchecker.

* Powerful MECCA script/display file language and compiler, which
allows one to completely customize the BBS's display files, create
on-line questionnaires, and more.

* Internal support for all major file-transfer protocols, including
Xmodem, Xmodem-1K, Telink, SEAlink and Zmodem.

* Compatible with 99% of Opus 1.03 programs, and many Opus 1.10 progs.

* Internal multi-line chat and paging system.  DESQview, DobuleDOS, and
NetBIOS-compatible.

* SOURCE CODE!  Maximus includes the C/ASM source for MAX.EXE itself
and the system utilities.

* Flexible configurable menu handler.

* Ability to re-edit an already-saved message, with either the built-in
full-screen editor, or the line-oriented editor.

* Comes with over 650K of docs!

* Includes built-in generation for several door files.

* Supports hotkeys, independant of help level.

* Supports a status line at the bottom of the SysOp's screen.

* Optionally allows high-bit characters in message areas, which is an
ideal situation for non-English languages.

* The message-area menu can be configured to show areas which contain
new mail.  The area menu can also be configured for an automatic 2 or
3-column display, and will be generated on-the-fly, based on the user's
priv level.

* LAN support.

* Multi-line file comments.  Users can enter up to three lines of
comments when uploading files.

* External protocols can be executed using an errorlevel method.

* Uses only 132K of memory.

* Maximus is FREE for non-commercial users!

Kevin
Internet:  kevin@csg.uwaterloo.ca
UUCP:      {uunet!}watmath!csg!kevin
Fidonet:   SYSOP, 1:221/172  (The Atlantis Automotive Bulletin Board)
                   Kevin.Kreutzweiser@f172.n221.z1.fidonet.org
Data:      (519) 748-9081 | Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #11
-------