Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (01/20/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 19 Jan 91       Volume 91 : Issue  12

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
         Administrivia - Host Down Time (Rejected Connections)
             Changing Config.sys Without Editing Each Time
                                 PC-RIM
                                STACKER
                           Calendar Algorithm

Today's Queries:
                    ARNET Multiport Expansion Board
                  Software Callback Facility for IBMPC
                             Dongle Holder
                              Graph Format
                              HP Softfonts
                    Radio Shack TRS-80 P4 Software?
                       Problems with Windows 3.0
                       fast PC graphics monitors
              Format for .ARC, .ZIP, and .PCK files Needed
                          IBM Secure Protocol

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: 20 Jan 91, 22:56:56 +0100
From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil>
Subject: Administrivia - Host Down Time (Rejected Connections)

The many rejected connections users have made over the past week or so
has been due to air conditioning problems.  (Sure wish we could
SCHEDULE these down times!)  WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL should be back in
full operation.

Regret any inconviences.

Gregory Hicks

-----------------------------

Date: 9 Jan 91 19:14:07 GMT
From: 9531fost@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
Subject: Changing Config.sys Without Editing Each Time

Does anyone know of a way to automatically change your config.sys file
without having to edit it each time and reboot.  I want to be able to
use different entries in my config.sys file when running certain
programs and TSRs, and be able to remove these entries to regain RAM
when they are no longer needed.

Thanks
Markee Foster       9531fost@ucsbuxa.bitnet
                    University of CA Santa Barbara

[In the recent past, PC Magazine published a utility that allowed
reconfiguring the system at boot time.  That program, as well as the
following programs, are available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.army.mil:

Name          Size    Date    Description
PD1:<MSDOS.INFO>
CONFIG.ARC    17710   890213  How to setup CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT

PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
AUTOCON.ARC   86120   891210  Reboot with different AUTOEXEC/CONFIG
BOOT11.ARC    47949   900228  Pick your CONFIG from a menu, and reboot
COMMENT2.ARC   7265   880829  Echo comments from CONFIG.SYS
CONFIG10.ARC  15514   890315  Use multiple CONFIG.SYS files at will
DYNBOT11.ARC  41654   900202  Reboot with different AUTOEXEC.BAT/CONFIG.SYS
EDCONFIG.ARC  17904   890217  Device driver for point and shoot CONFIG.SYS
REBOOT13.ARC  11647   881204  Switch CONFIG.SYS and auto reboot
RECFG32.ZIP   60627   900505  Select up to 20 AUTOEXEC/CONFIG.SYS on bootup
RECON23.ZIP   93905   900424  Manage various AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS
RECONFIG.ARC  15488   870222  Use multiple CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files
RESET.ARC      2709   870417  Reboot from different configs/autos
RESET11.ARC    3256   880911  Reboot using different AUTO/CONFIGs
RESTART.ARC   10982   880516  Select different autoexec/config's on reboot
SYSGN132.ARC  30191   891211  Configuration utility(autoexec.bat/config.sys)

PD2:<MSDOS2.PCMAG>
VOL7N20.ARC   37542   881028  PC Mag Vol7#20: CONFIG etc. w/sources
VOL9N14.ZIP   57532   900728  PcMag: BAT2EXEC,CLICK,RECONFIG,WC,ZIPNGO

Hope one of these helps. gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 1991 01:31 ADT
From: Canadian Information Processing Society - Huskies Section
Subject: PC-RIM

RIM is available at the University of Washington (UWAVM.BITNET). This
is the VAX version, but the PC-RIM version isn't that much different.
If you just need the FORTRAN source for RIM (it would be VAX) then I
have it, I also have the PC-RIM executable as well.

RIM got taken by one of the chief developers and has now been converted
over to be the chief product of MicroRIM, Inc. who are the designers of
R:Base.

! Todd White          Phone: 902-420-5720    !
! Publicity Chairman, Bluenose Section    Fax:   902-420-5561    !
! Canadian Information Processing Society              !
! InterNet/NSTN: CIPS@HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA              !

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jan 91 23:19:28 GMT
From: glenn@imagen.com (glenn boozer)
Subject: STACKER

Stacker is a DOS driver that takes a file on your hard disk and turns
it into a logical disk volume.  The data on this logical disk volume is
compressed.

I am using Stacker and it works well.  I am getting 1.5 to 1
compression.  I had a 60 meg disk with 5 meg free.  I now have a 120
meg disk with 70 meg free.  The numbers are approximate.

Stacker is Windows 3.0 compatable and I needed that.  It is also DOS
4.01 compatable.

My only problem is that PC/NFS doesn't like stacker.  PC/NFS dosn't
like many programs/drivers/Windows 3.0/etc.

Glenn Boozer
QMS
mips.com!mswind!boozer   or  glenn@imagen

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Jan 1991 23:40 CST
From: "Ed" <MEMCR@canal.crc.uno.edu>
Subject: Calendar Algorithm

To the one who was asking about algorithms (or something) to help find
calendar information:

  I used this formula in an assignment. I hope it will be of help to
you (It works! I got an A :) ).

    o This formula is from 'Elementary Number Theory and Its
Applications' by W. K. Rosen

    o This formula will only work for Gregorian dates. This means that
it can compute the weekdays for dates after October 15, 1582. A julian
calendar would use a different formula for calculating the day.

    o The number representing the month is calcuated as follows:
January is the 13th month, February is the 14th month, and all other
months are normal (i.e. August is the 8th month).

    o Formula is defined as:

                       [ 3*(m + 1) ]       [  y  ]   [  y  ]   [  y  ]
       N = d + (2*m) + [ --------- ] + y + [ --- ] - [ --- ] + [ --- ] + 2
                       [    5      ]       [  4  ]   [ 100 ]   [ 400 ]

       N <--- N mod 7

       where d is the day, m is the month and y is the year. the '[]'s
denote the greatest integer functions

      If implemented correctly, then N will be a number from 0 to 6
representing Sat, Sun, etc, respectively.

  |ed murphy|consultant|university of new orleans|computer research center|
  |          internet: memcr@uno.edu | bitnet: memcr@uno.bitnet           |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 11:18:35 GMT
From: "Pete Lucas" <PJML@ibma.nerc-wallingford.ac.uk>
Subject: ARNET Multiport Expansion Board

 Hello; i have just got a PC that contains an ARNET Multiport expansion
board (which adds 4 or 8 async RS232 serial ports to a PC). Problem is,
the PC had a bent hard disk, which has been replaced, but i do not now
have the software for the ARLAN card! (as is usual with these things, i
got the manuals & hardware but no original diskettes..!)

Reading the manuals it looks like i need two files COMX.COM and
COM4CFG.CFG, first of these is the DOS device drivers, the second
contains the tables that define baud-rates, parity, handshaking etc.

Does anyone have ideas where i can get these drivers? Or an address of
ARNET corporation? Are they still in business?

    Pete Lucas PJML%IA.NWL.AC.UK@UKACRL (Bitnet)
G6WBJ@GB7SDN.GBR.EU (Radio)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 12:07 MET
From: GLOLAAK%rulgl.LeidenUniv.nl@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Software Callback Facility for IBMPC

Does somebody know if there is software for a pc that can emulate the
callback function of a modem.  I really don't want to buy another modem
just to get this ability...

l ter laak.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 08:07:49 EST
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Dongle Holder

Some programs protect against illegal use by checking for presence of a
special device attached to the computer's parallel port.  I've seen at
least two uses of the term "dongle" for such a device, and I'm inclined
to go along.  Anyway, I recently saw an advertisement for a device that
fits in an expansion slot and holds dongles, to reduce the chance they
will "wander off".  The price was $15, which seems like cheap
insurance.  Unfortunately, I've misplaced the ad and haven't seen it in
more recent issues of any of the journals I've been scanning.  Thus, I
would appreciate any leads on dongle holders.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 13:02 U
From: <DCP78811%TWNCTUCS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Graph Format

  I am interested in some graphic file formats.  I have two, .PCX and
.TIFF.  Could anybody tell me the other formats --> .IMG (GEM), .PIC
(paint), .CUT (Dr.Halo). Or tell me where I can find it in BITNET.

  Thanks very much for your help.

Yeang-Ming SHIH (DCP78811@TWNCTUCS)

[From <odin@pilot.njin.net> comes a list of FTP sites on the network.
The complete list is available from the USENET comp.misc,
comp.sources.wanted and alt.sources.wanted newsgroups.

The following extract from his monthly message are sites that supply
(or have available) various image files available.

Use the <anonymous> FTP login convention.  User name is <anonymous>.
As a password, use <your-name@your-host> where you supply "your-name"
and "your-host".

Could not find any sites that maintain .CUT, .IMG, or .PIC files.
This doesn't mean the sites aren't out there, just that
<odin@pilot.njin.net> doesn't know about them.

                                          Description of files
                       Host address         Available
Host Name              Date last updated  Login Convention

a.cs.uiuc.edu          128.174.252.1      TeX, dvi2ps, gif, texx2.7,
                       128.174.237.1      amiga, GNUmake, GNU
                       05/15/90           anonymous ftp login

curie.cs.unc.edu       128.109.136.151    GIF, graphics programs
                       05/15/90           anonymous ftp login

dsl.cis.upenn.edu      130.91.6.12        GIF, IBM
                       05/15/90           anonymous ftp login

hanauma.stanford.edu   36.51.0.16         sun, TeX, world-map, astro,
                                          cake, graphics (best of
                                          comp.graphics 86-89 archive),
                                          neptune pics, zhongwen
                       05/17/90           anonymous ftp login

lut.fi                 128.214.25.8       GIF, PD sources modified for
                                          hp-ux, PC antivirus, uEmacs
                                          3.10
                       05/15/90           anonymous ftp login

mcs213k.cs.umr.edu     131.151.6.11       xgif, shuttle
                       06/02/90           anonymous ftp login

merlin.cs.purdue.edu   128.10.2.3         ConcurrenC, Xinu, mac, GIF
                       05/15/90           anonymous ftp login

mibsrv.mib.eng.ua.edu  130.160.20.80      bitmaps, GIF, games
                       05/15/90           anonymous ftp login

network.ucsd.edu       128.54.16.3        anime gifs
                       05/15/90           anonymous ftp login

plains.nodak.edu       134.129.111.64     apple, msdos, mac, amiga,
                                          ascii pics,
                       05/15/90           anonymous ftp login

quiche.cs.mcgill.ca    132.206.3.30       recursive listing of all ftp
                                          sites, msdos, bible, Hubble
                                          GIF images
                       06/16/90           anonymous ftp login

surya.waterloo.edu     129.97.129.72      tiff format, gif2ras
                       05/15/90           anonymous ftp login

ticsys.tamu.edu        128.194.27.6       gif
                       07/08/90           anonymous ftp login

uxc.cso.uiuc.edu       128.174.5.50       games, HitchHiker's Guide to
                       136.144.1.2        the Internet, recipes, GIF,
                                          GNU, RFC, IEN, and more
                       06/01/90           anonymous ftp login

vmd.cso.uiuc.edu       128.174.5.98       Hurricane Hugo GIF pictures
                       05/15/90           anonymous ftp login

wuarchive.wustl.edu    128.252.135.4      GNU, X.11R3, GIF, IEN, RFCs,
                                          TeX, UUPC, info-mac,
                                          4.3BSD-Tahoe,
                                          comp.binaries.amiga,
                                          comp.binaries.apple2,
                                          comp.binaries.atari.st,
                                          comp.binaries.ibm.pc,
                                          comp.sources.amiga,
                                          comp.sources.atari.st,
                                          comp.sources.games,
                                          comp.sources.misc,
                                          comp.sources.sun,
                                          comp.sources.unix,
                                          comp.sources.x, msdos,
                                          simtel20 (24 hours/day)
                       05/15/90           anonymous ftp login

zurich.ai.mit.edu      18.26.0.176        liar, scheme, gif, fx
                       18.43.0.176
                       07/19/90           anonymous ftp login

Hope this helps somewhat.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 13:35 CST
From: "Lin-Chow Sim" <SIM5250@iscsvax.uni.edu>
Subject: HP Softfonts

Dear Netters,

      I wonder if somebody out there knows of any FTP sites or BBS
sites that have a good collection of HP LaserJet III Softfonts and
Utilities?

Thanks .....

Lin-Chow Sim                           InterNet : <SIM5250@ISCSVAX.UNI.EDU>
Database Programmer                    UUCP : <...sun!iscsvax.uni.edu!sim5250>
Campus Central Supply                  MCIVioce : +1-319-266-3248
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, Iowa  50613

[WSMR-SIMTEL20.army.mil has a directory devoted to LaserJet fonts and
utilities.  Take a look at the 50+ files available in
PD1:<MSDOS.LASER>.  Some other files that may be interesting are:

PD1:<MSDOS.PRINTER>
HPGL2PS.ARC     118499      890826  HPGL to Postscript trans, DOS/UNIX,
                                      src, EXE's
PRINTSC.ZIP       4030      900412  EGA/VGA graphics printscreen to Epson
                                      or HPLJ
SETPTR22.ZIP     25010      900316  Ptr ctrl pgms for Epson,Oki,Citizen,
                                      HPLJ2, etc

PD1:<MSDOS.TEX>
HP2TEX.ARC       46455      880303  Convert HPLJ Fonts for use with TeX

PD1:<MSDOS.VENTURA>
MAR89-HP.ARC    101376      890414  WYSIWYG magazine for Ventura 2.0 (HPLJ)

Again from <odin@pilot.njin.net>, don't know if this is what you're
looking for, but these sites provide HP stuff.  gph]

hpserv1.uit.no             128.39.60.50    HP stuff, X11, unix, etc.
                           05/15/90        anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net

sol.cs.ruu.nl              131.211.80.5    atari, GNU, HP-UX, TeX, Perl,
                                           UMFT, etc.

Date: Tue,  8 Jan 91  09:43:20 EST
From: BDANIEL%USCN.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: Radio Shack TRS-80 P4 Software?

I'm an IBM XT, AT, Epson 386, Zenith XT, AT, 386 Networking person who
desires to help a friend with a Radio Shack TRS-80 P4.  Is there any
software available thru FTP? Word Processors, Spreadsheets, games, any
thing at all?

 Brian Daniel @ Columbus College, Computer Center, Woodall Hall Rm 113
 BDaniel@USCN   Cougar Court, Columbus GA 31993-2399     (404)568-2063

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 14:02:47 EST
From: Philip J. Nesser <pjnesser@mitre.org>
Subject: Problems with Windows 3.0

Hello,

I have just recently bought a 386/33mhz machine and have been very
happy with it and have only one complaint to date.

I have 8 meg of ram and would be very happy to use that memory with
windows 3.0 in the enhanced 386 mode.  I can not seem to get it to work
properly.  I can get it to run fine in the real mode (win /r) but if I
let it choose the default (ie just win) or give it another qualifier
(win /3), I get to the Microsoft Windows 3.0 screen and it just sits
there for a long time (well over an hour) and then exits with the
error:  "Could not find file krnl386.exe"  I then checked and the file
is in the system directory under windows.

I am running himem.sys and smartdrive.sys in my config.sys file.  The
only other device driver I have is the one that is there to control my
hard drives, I forget what it is called but I can get it if it's
important.  Does anyone have any idea what the problem is or how to fix
it?

pjnesser@fenchurch.mit.edu
!mit-eddie!pjnesser

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jan 91 20:52:04 GMT
From: Bill Wang <wcwang@cica.indiana.edu>
Subject: fast PC graphics monitors

Most of today's PC monitor/graphics adaptor vertical scanning frequency
is about 60/70 Hz or so.  That means the refresh rate for a screen
image display is limited to about 16 msec minimum.

Does anyone produces any graphics adaptor/monitor combo which can make
the scanning frequency faster and therefore make the screen refresh
rates go higher than 60-70 times/per second.

Our specific needs are to display images in less than 16 msec
intervols.  This solution doesn't have to be the first adaptor/monitor
combo in the PC/AT/386 itself (i.e. we can leave a VGA combo in if
necessary.)

Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Wang
US Mail = Psychology Department, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
UUCP  = {rutgers, att, ames}!iuvax!wcwang
Internet = wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 08:11:22 -0800
From: david@CS.UCLA.EDU (David Dantowitz)
Subject: Format for .ARC, .ZIP, and .PCK files Needed

(Not necessary to post this, just a pointer to an FTP-able archive would be
fine)

Where can I find the file formats for ARC, ZIP, and PCK files?

Thanks

David Dantowitz
david@cs.ucla.edu

[This is all I could find at WSMR-SIMTEL20.army.mil.  Perhaps someone
else knows of other sources.

PD1:<MSDOS.ZIP>
APPNOTE.TXT       900327  Application notes for ZIP program developers
DEDICATE.DOC      890827  ZIP archive format public domain statement

gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 16:32:01 MST
From: isis!abarkah@uunet.UU.NET (Ade Barkah)
Subject: IBM Secure Protocol

   I'm programming a secure modem protocol for the IBM PC systems. The
program, for example, will modify the comm parameters based upon the
line performance, (e.g., by changing the block length and comm speed.)
I'll also implement some cryptography codes built in.

   I need a fast implementation of matrix: I'm looking for a software
implementation right now. My implementations are too slow right now.
Anyone has a sleek way to do simple matrix operations ?

   Also, I have very little familiarity with virus control via modem on
the IBM PC. Since the protocol is supposed to focus on secure systems,
I need to address this issue. Any suggestions are welcomed.

   Last, my program involves error-correcting codes for remote
operations.  I'm trying to implement all this by way of software. I
need hints on a fast way to implement these error correcting codes,
too. I'm looking at BCH type codes, and RS codes.

   Thanks,

   Ade Barkah

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #12
-------