Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (01/21/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 21 Jan 91       Volume 91 : Issue  15

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                             Re: FUZZY 8513
                           Re: NUL: the File
                File name pecularities in DOS (V91 #10)
            Printer output redirection? (V91 #11) (2 msgs)
                 Re: Printer Sharing Devices (V91 #11)
                   Re: Query for 3Com Administrators
               Re: Unix simulation under MS-DOS (V91 #11)

Today's Queries:
                    IBM LAN Manager 2.0 info. needed
                PC Jr Color Monitor Used as CGA Monitor?
                                 PC-NFS
                            PMMANDEL program
        Information Requested on PCs and Distributed Processing

New Uploads:
         BDAY.ZIP - Birthday/event reminder with music & search

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 18:20:57 EST
From: Alex Nemeth <AN5@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: FUZZY 8513

In order to get your 8513 replaced you "WILL NEED" a copy of your
invoice as this sheet of paper gets sent to IBM with your defective
monitor.

The Kicker is IBM Dosen't have to honor the warranty if the unit was
NOT purchased from an IBM AUTHORIZED DEALER. They have refused some
warranty claims because of this.  So be careful.

Alex

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 1991   09:56 PST
From: MGB%SLACVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Re: NUL: the File

Reply on null files and other strange characters.

It is very simple to manipulate these files by using the ALT Keypad
numbers.  As an example, ALT + (keypad) 255 results in a null file
which is invisible to the casual user or a hidden directory if used
with a program like ATTR to set the hidden attribute.  The same
procedure can be used to access files with any of the ascii character
set as part of the file name or directory name.

To create a null file name from a program which does not allow the use
of the extended character set, simply rename the program, again using
the Alt key and keypad numbers combination.  Rename blatz.dat <ALT +
255> will result in a blank name in the directory.  I find this process
very usefull, especially used in conjunction with ATTR +h <ALT + 255>,
in keeping files and directorys away from those with modest computer
skills.

If you use Nortons editor, Pctools editor, or others of the same type,
all bets are off

------------------------------

Date: Thu Jan 17 17:05:18 1991
From: microsoft!larryo@cs.washington.edu
Subject: File name pecularities in DOS (V91 #10)

| Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 15:15 MET
| >From: "Jim Groeneveld" <GROENEVELD%NIPG.TNO.NL@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
|
| Sometimes from within a program I create files with spaces within the
| names accidentally, which DOS can not handle. DrHalo or PFM or even
| GWBASIC let you do it! To delete or rename them I use the wildcard
| method, which always works as far as I have found. PFM and GWBASIC
| (KILL) can also do it. However, with such specific programs filenames
| with embedded spaces may be used legally.

| Did you know that path and filenames may also contain *ALL* extended
| characters (127-255)? At least with DOS 3.x. Deleted files
| automatically get the sigma character (229) as the first one from DOS.
| Just changing this character to another using the Norton Utilities (or
| whatever) one does only undelete the first cluster of the file
| appropriately. With files of more than one cluster in size it causes
| problems like "First cluster number is invalid, entry truncated." The
| FAT will be damaged, so beware of doing so (only for experimental
| purposes and restoring the original situation right there after) or you
| get cross linked clusters and if you then delete specific files other
| files may be damaged. Undeletion (as with NU or QU) needs more than
| only replacing this character.

This isn't ENTIRELY true.  The following characters are illegal in DOS
file names:

        ASCII 0-31
        " < > |

In addition, the following characters cannot (obviously) be put in a
path component:

        \ / :

All other ascii characters are valid in a file name.

Just because a character is a legal character does NOT mean that you
can delete it with the command interpreter, since the command
interpreter intercepts several other characters (such as space), and
applies special meanings to those characters.

| You may create or rename files into legal names with the
| sigma-character as the first one, which are not deleted files! Instead
| of the sigma-character on disk the character ascii-5 is stored as the
| first character. Viewing the name and referencing it through DOS
| yields/needs the sigma-character again. Sigma- characters for
| succeeding ones within the names remain unchanged.

The 229 (0xe5) character is kind of special, because of DBCS (Japanese,
Korean, and Chinese (among other)) character sets.  The 0xE5 is a legal
leading byte in a filename on Kanji versions of MS-DOS, so all files
with an 0xE5 as their first character are converted to a 0x05 before
the character is put on the disk.  The DOS will then translate the 0x05
back into an 0xE5 before the data is returned to the app.

| Are you, and especially programmers among you, aware of the fact that
| path names may have extensions of up to three characters as well? Some
| software does not seem to account for these circumstances (Alt-F files
| display in ProComm+, PC-Write vs. 3.x and others).

I would hope so, and would hope that all developers account for that in
their applications (but several don't).

In addition, it is also important to remember that the "A" (archive)
bit may be on in a directory, some applications have been known to
break when this bit is turned on.

In general, anything that can be set on a file can be done with a
directory under MS-DOS, since a directory is only a file.

| If anyone knows even more about these undocumented DOS features, please
| reply.

These are NOT undocumented, they are quite well documented in the
MS-DOS programmers reference manuals.  In my DOS manual (MS-DOS 3.1),
it is in section 3.4.

                                        Larry Osterman

The opinions above are my own and have nothing to do whatsoever with
Microsoft.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 1991 09:53:52 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: Printer output redirection? (V91 #11)

>  Date: 9 Jan 91 09:04:15 GMT
>  From: ederveen@pttrnl.nl

> ... make the PC think a printer is attached to it

If you use a serial port (COM1:) and a Null Modem adapter,  that will
do your job.   Assuming you want to tie up a serial port.   Null Modem
adapters are available from most computer stores,  mail order houses,
etc.  for $10 - $15.  If you want to explore RS-232 a bit,  you could
make your own.

There may also be a hardware workaround for the parallel port;  I dno't
know.

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jan 91 08:13:00 EDT
From: "CMSGT LARRY KELLY" <kellyl@v3.hanscom.af.mil>
Subject: Re: Printer Output Redirection

There is no shortage of programs to redirect printer output to a disk
file.  There are many are available via FTP from SIMTEL20 in directory
PD1:<MSDOS.PRINTER>.  I use PRN2FILE.  Not sure about redirecting to a
NUL device but one of them may do it.

- Larry Kelly

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 1991 10:02:02 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: Re: Printer Sharing Devices (V91 #11)

From: Ronnie Judd <RNJUDD%SUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>

I would guess that you do not know about Black Box,  a user oriented
mail order company specializing in helping computer users.  They sell a
variety of 'black boxes' for this type of application,  as well as lots
of other boxes for other aplications.  They provide dependable advice /
recommendations as well as a variety of services.

For tech support,  call (412)746-5565

Get a catalog;  it is very educational,  as well.

Disclaimer ... I only buy / use the stuff.  No financial interest in
the company.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 1991 18:21:48 GMT
From: klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad)
Subject: Re: Query for 3Com Administrators

>Does anyone know of a discussion group for people who operate and/or
>administrate 3Com personal computer networks?

There is the LISTSERV distribution list 3COM-L (3Com User Interest
Group Discussion List).

The list address is 3COM-L@NUSVM and the LISTSERV address (for

-- Sue
Sue Klefstad    s-klefstad@uiuc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 91 8:41:44 CST
From: Rich Zellich <zellich@STL-07SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Re: Unix simulation under MS-DOS (V91 #11)

In V91, #11, Chuck R. asks about Unix-simulation systems that run under
MS-DOS so he can learn Unix by practicing in his room.

Two reasonable packages would be Coherent (more-or-less a "real",
though tiny, Unix) at $99, and the MIX "C Utilities" at $19.95 + $5 S&H
(a set of C utilities such as grep, sed, head, tail, etc. (but *not*
"cut" for some reason) and included is "sh" - you can run the utilities
under DOS, or you can run sh and then run the utilities, shell scripts,
etc., just like "real Unix").  At $24.95 total, the MIX package might
be the best bet for a learning environment.

Cheers,
Rich

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Jan 91 11:13:59 -0500
From: ad094@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Alex Lai)
Subject: IBM LAN Manager 2.0 info. needed

Has anybody been working with IBM LAN Manager 2.0?  At work we have 40
Compaq 386/486 workstations (and growing) on an OS/2 Token Ring LAN (4
Mb/s). Right now we are only using the communication manager and LAN
requester for network management.  I'm looking into what IBM LAN
manager can do for in terms of increase productivity and better network
management that will cost justify buying the software. Any info. or
advice will be appreciated. Thanks :)

Internet:
ad094@Cleveland.Freenet.Edu
alai@AI.MIT.Edu
alai@Ace.CS.OhioU.Edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 1991   09:50 PST
From: MGB%SLACVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: PC Jr Color Monitor Used as CGA Monitor?

Question: A friend has an IBM PC Junior with color monitor.  This
monitor has a fixed cable with a rectangular connector rather than the
standard video connector.

Is it possible to use this monitor with a standard CGA card, and if so,
how would the connector cable be constructed - which wires on the
monitors plug would connect to which wires on the standard video
connector.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 91 17:21:11 EST
From: james@nueng.coe.northeastern.edu
Subject: PC-NFS

I am looking for a good Public Domain or commercial nfs client/server
program that runs on 386 PCs.  Please send any pointers and
recommendations to me at the e-mail address below, and I'll summarize
to the net.  Thanks a lot!

James E. Jones, Jr.
College of Engineering
Northeastern University
Boston, Massachusetts 02115
USA

internet: james@nueng.coe.northeastern.edu
BITnet:  james@nuhub
Phone: (617)437-4430

*** All comments made are my own,                 ***
*** they are not those of Northeastern University ***

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 91 12:27 U
From: "JIH-SHIN HO FROM N.C.T.U." <7711501%TWNCTU01.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: PMMANDEL program

Hi :
   Does anyone know where I can find PMMANDEL, a fractal-drawing program ?

                Thanks
                Jih-Shin Ho

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 JAN 91 13:15:26 GMT
From: HUTTONCM%UK.AC.ASTON.VAX.SPOCK@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
Subject: Information Requested on PCs and Distributed Processing

forwarded for a student with no net access

>............I'd (ideally) like to participate to a greater extent.

>Therefore, and I presume you have access to the conference direct,
>I would be most greatful if a request to the conference could be
>made for information on distributed processing on PC networks
>(background processes-type of thing). I'm very interested in this
>area, but know little about it, so any information would be useful.

>	Many thanks for your time & trouble,
>			Matthew Exley, CompSci II

	I received this mail as local distributer of the digest.
ANY info, books, lists, on-line docs would be good starting points.

			Chris
	BITNET   huttoncm%uk.ac.aston.kirk@ukacrl.earn
	or 	 above address and your favorite gateway!!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 18:56:22 -0500
From: gt5085a@prism.gatech.edu (GULER,MICHAEL GEORGE)
Subject: BDAY.ZIP - Birthday/event reminder with music & search

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.deskaccess>
BDAY.ZIP        Birthday/event reminder with music & search

Birthday/Anniversary/Event Reminder
  * 15-30 days advance warning
  * Automatic on boot-up or Menu driven
  * Check any month or Search for a name