Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (01/29/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 29 Jan 91       Volume 91 : Issue  18

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                        Byte and BIX via E-Mail
                             Info on Int 70
                       Problems with Windows 3.0

Today's Queries:
                 Extended keyboard to Compaq portable?
                       SCSI disk and UNIX on PS/2
                             IBM 55SX speed
                       SLIP driver for PC-TCP/IP
                 Word Processor Recommendations Sought
                 Paint Programs Recommendations Sought
                Plotting Package Recommendations Sought
           Wyse RAM board and IBM EGA board hard info wanted

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 12:52:41 EST
From: ben@bytepb.byte.com (Ben Smith @ BYTE)
Subject: Byte and BIX via E-Mail

: My question:  Do you want to be listed as a point of contact?
: Is there a better one?

The information from Richard Shuford is accurate and very helpful.
Thankyou for asking me before using my address as the depository for
BYTE editors' mail. I will not provide the service of forwarding mail
to any but editors.

There is a new plan afoot. BIX may be providing some UNIX mail and news
services. Stephan Laiberte (Director of BIX) and I had a meeting about
this last week. When this happens, BIX users will be able to receive
and send UNIX mail, but at an additional charge. They will also be able
to read Usenet news, probably with vnews or rn.

Keep in touch, Gregory. -ben

BEN SMITH @ BYTE Magazine / Peterborough (ben@bytepb.byte.com)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 08:54:47 SET
From: Johan Berteloot <JBERTELO%RKC.UFSIA.AC.BE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Info on Int 70

The Interrupt List from Ralf Brown mentions the following :

INT 70 - IRQ8 - AT/XT286/PS50+ - REAL-TIME CLOCK
Note:   may be masked by setting bit 0 on I/O port A1h
SeeAlso: INT 08,INT 1A/AH=02h,INT 58

That's all. Hope this will help you a bit. Bit by Bit you will get
there...

Greetings from Belgium
--Johan

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jan 91 16:10:11 GMT
From: mea1@uark.edu (Mark _E_ Amos)
Subject: Problems with Windows 3.0

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.mil writes:
> .... <deletions> .....
>I am running himem.sys and smartdrive.sys in my config.sys file.  The
>only other device driver I have is the one that is there to control my
>hard drives, I forget what it is called but I can get it if it's
>important.  Does anyone have any idea what the problem is or how to fix
>it?

 If the driver you mention is DMDRVR.BIN, I would hazard a guess that
is where your problem lies.  As you may or may not have noticed, the
various ibm.pc groups have had similar complaints from time to time,
and I have had more than my fair share of trouble with that driver.  If
you have a drive larger than 32 Meg, I would suggest going to DOS 4.01
and doing away with the need for a driver to access the drive.

 Of course, I am making alot of assumptions due to the lack of
information about your system (drive size, DOS version, name of the
driver in question, etc.).  When "troubleshooting" in this manner, it
is important to have a very complete list of the system.

 mea1@engr.uark.edu
 University of Arkansas
 Computer Science Engineering

------------------------------

Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 1991 14:06:40 EST
From: PHARRIMA@BOWDOIN.EDU
Subject: Extended keyboard to Compaq portable?

I have an original Compaq Portable, circa 1985.  Is it possible to
attach an extended, 101 key keyboard to it?

Phil Harriman -=- Instructional Resources Coordinator -=- Bowdoin College
              =-=         pharrima@bowdoin.edu        =-=

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 12:22:30 CET
From:         Walter Muellner <A4424DAA@AWIUNI11.bitnet>
Subject:      SCSI disk and UNIX on PS/2

Problem with Adaptec AHA-1640 PS/2 Host Adapter in IBM PS/2 Model 80
M21:

Since INTERACTIVE UNIX doesn't support the original IBM PS/2 SCSI
Hostadapter we installed the Adaptec AHA 1640 PS/2 Host Adapter in our
IBM PS/2 Model 80 M21 (320 MB SCSI Disk).

Although the Adaptec AHA-1640 is supported by INTERACTIVE UNIX and is
said to be compatible with PS/2 models we couldn't get it running in
our IBM PS2:

After setting the SCSI Target ID of our internal SCSI Disk to 0 and
I executed the automatic configuration program This program finished
sucessfully without configuring the SCSI devices. The SCSI-device was
not even spun-up.

I tried to boot the system; after the memory check I got the following
message on the screen:

           Adaptec AHA-1640 Host Adapter Bios
           Copyright 1988 ADaptec, Inc.
           All rights reserved

           Searching for Target 0 Lun 0
           Target 0 Lun 0 not found

When this message appeared, the LED on the adapter card went on but the
disk motor was still not running since power-up.  After some time I
received the message "Target 0 Lun 0 not found" and the LED went off.

The tests with the original IBM PS/2 SCSI adapter always worked
perfectly: with the automatic configuration the disk was started and
configured. After a cold boot the disk started when the first access
was made to it.

Why can't the AHA-1640 recognize the IBM SCSI disk in Unix?  Are there
any known compatibilty problems between the AHA-1640 and PS/2 models??

Walter Muellner
Institut of Statistics and Computer Science
University of Vienna, Austria
Lenaugasse 2/8 A-1080 Wien
BITNET:    A4424DAA@AWIUNI11
INTERNET:  A4424DAA@Helios.EDVZ.UniVie.AC.AT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 18:58:28 CST
From: "Jeffrey W. Spencer" <C0025JS%UMRVMB.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: IBM 55SX speed

Hello, I was hoping someone out there might be able to give me a bit of
insight on a question I have.  I have an IBM 55SX 16mhz machine.  I
would like to be able to selectively choose the speed I'm running at.
On my old Tandy 1000EX I just hit a key after the beep when it was
booting up.  A friend of mine runs a program on his Gateway2000 machine
to do this.  However, I cannot find any documentation on how to do it
on my IBM.  I would like to be able to run at say 8mhz for certain
programs that just run too fast at 16mhz.  Any help would be
appreciated on this, and please reply to me and I'll post a summary of
any help I get .. thanks..jws

Internet:C0025JS@umrvmb.umr.edu  or jeffs@cs.umr.edu
Bitnet:  C0025js@UMRVMB

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 91 21:32:57 MEZ
From: Walter Muellner <A4424DAA%AWIUNI11.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: SLIP driver for PC-TCP/IP

Does anyone know where to get a driver for the serial lines of the
PC to use TCP-IP on the serial lines??

Any suggestions welcome...
Walter

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 16:50:23 EST
From: Charles Holden Winstead <winstead@faraday.ece.cmu.edu>
Subject: Word Processor Software Recommendations Sought

 I would appreciate any recommendations for these software packages:

1 - Word Processors.  I'm trying to decide between Word Perfect or
Microsoft Word.  I use WP 5.1, and I really like the equation editor
and the fact that I can include graphics files from various programs.
I also like the fact that I can write my own macros, like reference
citing, etc.  I will use it mainly for scientific papers.  On the other
hand,  I like the Windows environment, and I would like a What You See
Is What You Get type of environment.  My questions : how good is MS
Word's equation editor, can I include graphics from various places
including encapsulated Postscript and/or Hp plotter files, and what's
the word on WordPerfect's Windows version - when is it due and will it
be the WYSIWYG type of format?

Thank you.  First hand experience with a good/bad program would be
appreciated!

Charles Winstead
Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh Pa.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 16:50:23 EST
From: Charles Holden Winstead <winstead@faraday.ece.cmu.edu>
Subject: Paint Programs Software Recommendations Sought

Paint Programs.  I would like a good paint program to go with the
word processor I decide on.  I've used the paint that comes with
Windows, but I don't like the resolution when I include it in
WordPerfect.  I've also used Freelance, from Lotus,  which is not in
bitmapped format, and the resolution is nice, but it's not the nicest
program to use. Corel Draw seems to be nice from what I've read, but
it's rediculously overpriced.  Any help here?

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 16:50:23 EST
From: Charles Holden Winstead <winstead@faraday.ece.cmu.edu>
Subject: Plotting Package Software Recommendations Sought

Any good plotting packages would be nice too.  Say, you typical xy
plots, multiple lines, manual axis, labels, grid, logscale, etc.  One
that can produce a graphics file to be included in a WordPerfect, or a
Postscript file.

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 14:35:08 AST
From: Filipe Santos <USERVLSI%LNCC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Wyse RAM board and IBM EGA board hard info wanted

 Hi netfellows,

 I have inherited a couple of boards, and I'm going bald scratching my
head trying to make them work.

 One of them is known to be good, but it has a couple of rows of DIP
switches, and surely, noone knows where's the manual (if ever there was
one). The board is a Wyse Technology RAM option. It's an extended ram
board housing 1 Mbyte of 120ns 256Kbit ram chips. It came originally
with a Wyse pc 286, an 8 (?) MHZ AT class computer. If anybody has info
about this RAM board, specially detailing the hardware and the DIP
switch settings, please contact me.

 My other problem board, known to be *BAD*, is a true blue IBM EGA
card, including the piggyback 256Kbyte memory option. The board looks
dead, so I'm looking for info on its hardware.

 Thanks in Advance,
  Filipe SAntos
  USERVLSI@LNCC.BITNET
  COPPE/ Federal University of Rio de Janeiro

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #18
-------