Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/02/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Wed, 30 Jan 91       Volume 91 : Issue  20

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
               Deceptive Advertising - Selective Software
                Requests for various DOS utilities, etc.

Today's Queries:
                      binary kermit file transfers
                           Clone suggestions
                           Hard Disk Problems
                    Memory management on '386 / '486
                      OrCAD/SDT III Documentation
                          TecMar clock setting
        Printer Drivers for Softfonts on DeskJet+ using Word 5.0

New Uploads:
     TTYPRT36.ZIP - Input/format/print TTYs on DD173/2 messageform
       VESA-TSR.ZIP - TSR drivers for VESA SuperVGA graphics std

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: 25 Jan 91 12:44:00 CST
From: "HQSACHCX" <hqsachcx@sacemnet.af.mil>
Subject: Deceptive Advertising - Selective Software

From:	WINS%"SNOW@DRYCAS.CLUB.CC.CMU.EDU" 24-JAN-1991 21:04:15.44
To:	55SRWLGS
CC:
Subj:	Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #14

The picture in question is apparently for KeyDictionary.  Finding a
picture showing KeyDictionary where you'd expect to find KeyChart leads
me to believe that this is a simple error in page layout/editing.  I
wouldn't consider it "deception."

-ken
------------

Ken:

 I disagree.  I originally sent the message as I felt the advertising
was deceptive, whether intentional or unintentional.  If intentional,
the company has some serious problems which could eventually ruin it.
If unintentional, which I assume to be the case, the company still has
problems.

First, quality control of advertising--needless to say, vital to
attracting and maintaining a customer base.

Second, (though highly unlikely) a lawsuit for false advertising if a
customer realizes that the screens portrayed in the advertising aren't
actually in the programs being purchased.  Even if no lawsuits happen,
the potential future customer has been lost.

I understand what you're saying,...we're all human, that's why I
originally just suggested to the original recipients of the message (it
was forwarded to the Info-IBMPC Digest by one of the recipients) that
they move cautiously with this company.  I can't help but wonder if
quality control on advertising lets this slip, what will it be like
with order processing, billing, and shipping?

Dom Scalzitti

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 14:51:59 EST
From: Curt Priest <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Requests for various DOS utilities, etc.

One common request for information I see on PCDG is for various
TSRs and programs to perform various functions.  Some are to try
to redirect com ports, some are to spool the printer to the disk, the
last one in V.91 #14 was for a wakeup TSR.

I am sure some of the make it to SIMTEL but I think there is no
substitute for subscribing to one of the HUGE shareware BBSs for
these things.

I think that for each and every of these utility requests there are
many programs posted for each one of these types of functions.  The
advantage of these sources is

1)  if you think it might exist, it probably does and you can
download it in minutes, and

2)  you can find it by the keyword search facility (zip searching).

(So even if the program is posted at SIMTEL, by the time you FTP and
get to the right subdirectory and list the catalog, and then search
it on your own machine, you have spent probably 10 times the effort
and are much less likely to find exactly the right program.)

P.S. I have no "affiliation" with any BBS.

------------------------------

Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 1991 16:32:28 EST
From: garber@aru.dom.uab.edu
Subject: binary kermit file transfers

I am trying to transfer binary files between a MicroVAX and a PC with
little success.  The kermit version on the VAX is 3.3.126, and on the
PC is 3.01.  I start kermit on the PC using LAT (and DECNet), log onto
the VAX, start kermit on the VAX, type "set file type binary", type
"server", alt-x back to the PC, type "get <filename>", and the file
downloads.  I have also tried typing "set file type binary" on the PC
side as well.  The transfered file has a larger file size, and won't
run.  It appears to have some material added to the end to the file.
What am I doing wrong?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 1991 13:46 PST
From: "Sam Cropsey" <SAM%POMONA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Clone suggestions

  We are currently looking for a clone machine to support in our remote
sites.  We now purchase only IBMs for our labs.  However, faculty would
like an option to buy clones.  Can any of you give me a brief list of
your favorite clones and least favorite clones? These clones will be
used to connect to either a Novell or Pathworks network in the future.

  Please send replies directly to me, SAM@POMONA.CLAREMONT or
SAM@POMONA.BITNET.  I will summarize for the list...

  Also, if you could a brief description of why your choices are
favored or not favored, that would help.

  Thanks for any suggestions...

Sam Cropsey
Microsystems Manager
Pomona College

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Jan 91 01:33:25 -0500 (EST)
From: Gregory Phillip Rhoads <gr0z+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Hard Disk Problems

I have a hard disk that when I try to format, it gives me the error :

invalid media or track 0 bad - disk unusable

1) Will low level formatting this drive help, or is the disk
permanently trashed?

2) I have tried to find a public domain low-level formatting program,
and have not been able to find one. Anybody know of one?

Greg

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 1991 09:55:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Sandrof <ms5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Memory management on '386 / '486

I have a setup here that absolutely requires I have loaded a number of
special TSRs and drivers, which take up between 200K and 300K.  I've
been using a 286 with 2 Meg.  Of course, with these TSRs etc loaded,
there is very little of the base 640K left to do anything significant.
I've tried QRAM by Quarterdeck to try to get some of the stuff out of
the base memory, but to no avail.  My question is as follows:  Does the
640K boundary exist on 386 and 486 machines?  Is it a by-product of
using DOS?  Would QEMM386 change anything?  Am I, basically, screwed if
I want to do what I'm trying?   Thanks in advance for any information.

-Mike

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 15:27:27 PST
From: mgendimenico@sc9.intel.com (Geronimo X59432 Beep 237-2365)
Subject: OrCAD/SDT III Documentation

I recently inhereted some schematic capture software, OrCAD/SDT III
Version 3.21.   The manuals have been long lost, though, and I've
checked a few bookstores and there are no second party books on this
CAD software.  OrCAD of course, won't give out any documentation on it
unless I want to buy the software.  I'm looking for any documentation
(or where I can get some)on how to set up and run this software
package.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Gendimenico
Intel Corp.
P.O. box 58125  M/S SC9-64
Santa Clara, CA 95052-8125