Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/07/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun,  3 Feb 91       Volume 91 : Issue  24

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                            Contours Program
                   Paradox List for Users (V90 #178)
                                PC atlas
                     Windows 3.0 and DOS extenders
                  Font Editing for Borland Pascal or C
                X Windows V11-4 Sources wanted (2 msgs)

Today's Queries:
                  Equipment Scheduling Software needed
                             AVGA 1024x768
                Data colletion program for genuis tablet
                    NEAT board Setup Utility needed
                 19200 baud on comm port & yellow=brown
            FAST Data Acquisition Data Storage Advice needed
                 Pack small files into large clusters?
                          parallel port on PC

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 1991 18:12 CST
From: Jerry Katz <KATZJA%SLUVCA.SLU.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Contours Program

I can think of two program with fairly extensive contour plots -
SYSTAT (available from Systat,  Inc. in Evanston, IL), and STATGRAPHICS
(available from STSC which I believe is in Baltimore).

Both programs are pricey.  Both get pretty high marks for full-featured
statistical and graphic programs for the PC.

I have firsthand experience of Systat (program and support people)  and
have been very impressed.   And no,  I don't own any stock or get
checks from the folks there.

If I can be of further help, feel free to contact me directly.

Jerry Katz
Katzja@sluvca

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 16:10:19 GMT
From: ZA9RA10%SYSA.COMPUTING-SERVICES.MANCHESTER-POLY.AC.UK@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
Subject: Paradox List for Users (V90 #178)

In IBMPC digest 178 Vol. 90 12th. Nov. 1990 there was an enquiry about
a list for Paradox users. Was there any follow up on this? I have not
used the Network for sometime so my apologies for bringing this up
again. I would appreciate direct replies on this.  Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 09:09:59 SET
From: Dick Cavonius <UAP001%DDOHRZ11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: PC atlas

There's a public domain PC atlas that's not bad, written by Kenneth
Calman, 7050 W. Taylor St., Phoenix, AZ 85043. As I recall, there are
no maps, but extensive statistical information and quizzes. Looking at
it briefly, I did see one error; but considering that it's a hobby, I
feel he's done a remarkable job.  As far as I know he doesn't ask for
contributions; but it seems only fair to make one.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 15:44 +0800
From: "Mike Reid, Hong Kong" <MFREID%HKUCC.BITNET@YALEVM.YCC.Yale.Edu>
Subject: Windows 3.0 and DOS extenders.

Have DOS-extenders that are compatible with Windows 3.0 reached the
market yet?  I see hints in the magazines about all this stuff
conforming to a "DOS Protected Mode Interface" (DPMI) in the near
future, but I have not seen any actual products yet.

What I am particularly interested in is Pascal/C/Fortran 32-bit
compilers which use extended memory, and generate good 32-bit code with
large address spaces (like the Microway compilers which use the
DOS-extender).   I dont particularly need support for doing clever
things with Windows, but I would really appreciate being able to run
the compiler and the programs in a window, (like I can with a text-mode
Turbo-Pascal program for example).

Mike Reid, Physics, Hong Kong University, <mfreid@hkucc.bitnet>.

------------------------------

Date: 29 January 91, 16:26:05 UPM
From: FACNELC@SAUPM00.BITNET
Subject: Font Editing for Borland Pascal or C

please, is there any one having an idea about the fonts that in borland
products like pascal or C ;

I want to design my own font which can be enlarged (stroked font) using
turbo C or pascal but I don't have any information about that...

some one told me that there is a utilitys exist in compuserv to do that
but sience I'm in saudi arabia I have no mean to link to compuservI'm
asking if this information exist in any book or any one can give mea
discription of it.if any one have this utility please send it to
me..either by mail or if possible in bitnet; I will be glad to pay all
the costof the mail...looking to here from any one soon.....

thanx.

fayez al-khaldi
KFUPM 7329
DHAHRAN 31261
SAUDI ARABIA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 13:37:54 IST
From: MERGBNG%TECHNION.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: X Windows V11-4 Sources wanted

Hi
For the one that asked about X windows - X windows sources can be found
at MIT.  I don't remember the exact node there, you can get any ftp
list (from BITFTP for example) and get the sources.  IF you have a
quota of around 100MB I might consider sending you to complete
distribution tape of X, that we have on one of the machines here We
have a Sun 4 ( SParc490 ) with twm ...

Hope this helps

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Jan 91 18:31:28 EXP
From: GUEST%KRSNUCC1.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu

   Is there any one who can help me?  Recently I am looking for the X
window Version 11 Release 4 sources especially for Motif window manager
(mwm).  I wonder if this list is a correct one or not.

   Our X window system runs on a SUN 4 workstation with twm, and I have
a plan to replace twm with mwm, but I have no sources.

   I think X window system including mwm is public domain and I hope to
ftp it from other site via BITNET.   Or if you have it, it will be nice
for you to tar it on a tape and mail me. :-) Please tell me if you know
the solution.  Any comments will be welcomed.    Thanks.

                       Sincerely,   G.S.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 08:15:19 MST
From: bauer@cns.ucalgary.ca (Mike Bauer)
Subject: Equipment Scheduling Software needed

I'm looking for some software that will allow me to set up a schedule
for equipment intended to rented/leased (about 100 units in all).
These units could be cars, computers, etc. but will regularly change
hands, sometimes staying for longer than expected periods, sometimes
shorter.

Does anyone know of any such software?  It doesn't have to be PD, I'll
gladly pay for it if it does what I need.  Of course it would be nice
if it would be able to give a report on where a single unit has been,
where it is scheduled to go, etc.  Also if a unit can't be returned on
time, the software should list options on what other units might be
available to fill it's place (i.e. a GANTT resource utilization chart).

Mike Bauer (bauer@cns.ucalgary.ca)
Dept. of Clinical Neurosciences, The University of Calgary,
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 00:49:36 -0500
From: jguo@HARPO.CS.NYU.EDU (Jun Guo)
Subject: AVGA 1024x768

   I have a Emka-5000 Ahead V5000 adaptor. The manual states:

   "The 26-pin feature connector is located in the top portion of the
board. It provides externel devices with video signals in the VGA
adaptor as defined by IBM VGA standard. Typical examples are Plasma
display kookup, video camera and VCR connection, etc."

   How can I connect video camera and VCR to it?

   Many thanks.
Jun

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 10:02:38 +0100
From: roelofsen%ECN.NL@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: Data colletion program for genuis tablet

Hi Networkers,

I am looking for a data collection program for a Genius Tablet coupled to
a IBM compatible. What we need is a program that calculates lengths and
areas. We prefer Pascal code but any help a appreciated.

 Hendrik Klompmaker.
 Klompmaker@zoa.wau.nl

Maybe this will help since this is what I'm using for calculations.

/*==================================================================*/
double pg_get_area(pol)          /* pol is an identification for a polygon */

/* Return the area of polygon pol       */

{
        int     p1, p2, npnt;
        double  *px, *py;
        double  ymin;
        double  area;

        npnt = pg_get_npnt(pol); /* get the number of points in pol */
        pg_get_crd_ptr(pol, &px, &py); /* get the pointers to x,y-points */

        area = 0.0;

        /* Find the lowest value of y   */

        ymin = py[0];
        for (p1 = 1; p1 < npnt; p1++)
                if (py[p1] < ymin)
                        ymin = py[p1];

        /* Calculate the area by considering all edges.         */
        /* Algorithm:                                           */
        /* Consider the edge from [p1x,p1y] to [p2x,p2y]. The   */
        /* contribution of this edge to the area is:            */
        /*                                                      */
        /*      (p2x-p1x)*((p2y-p1y)/2 - ymin)                  */
        /*                                                      */
        /* If p2x > p1x this is a positive contribution, else   */
        /* a negative one (area is subtracted). If the polygon  */
        /* is oriented clockwise, the sum of these areas gives  */
        /* the total area. If the polygon is oriented counter-  */
        /* clockwise, the sum is negative, and has to be        */
        /* negated.                                             */

        p1 = npnt-1;
        for (p2 = 0; p2 < npnt; p2++)
        {
                area += (px[p2]-px[p1]) * (0.5*(py[p2]+py[p1]) - ymin);
                p1 = p2;
        }

        if (area < 0.0)
                area = -area;

        return area;
}

/*==================================================================*/
PUBLIC FUNC double pg_get_perimeter(pol)

/* Return the perimeter of polygon pol  */

{
        int     p1, p2, npnt;
        double  *px, *py;
        double  perimeter;

        npnt = pg_get_npnt(pol);
        pg_get_crd_ptr(pol, &px, &py);

        perimeter = 0.0;

        /* Calculate the sum of the length of the edges */

        p1 = npnt-1;
        for (p2 = 0; p2 < npnt; p2++)
        {
                perimeter += sqrt(SQR(px[p2]-px[p1]) + SQR(py[p2]-py[p1]));
                p1 = p2;
        }
        return perimeter;
}

/*======================================================================*/

Peter Roelofsen
peter@ecn.nl

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 1991 07:02:29 EST
From: jens boelte <BOELTE%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: NEAT board Setup Utility needed

unfortunately my NEAT board did not come with a neatsetup utility
execpt the one which is in the ROM. This setup does not give yo u full
control over the registers. Does anyone know where I could get a setup
program which comes with a good description of the available commands
or options.  I need a utility for a 286.

                                   Thanks Jens

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 10:45:59 PST
From: dbarber@pnet01.cts.com (David C. Barber)
Subject: 19200 baud on comm port & yellow=brown

Two problems I've been having:

1: My version of MS-DOS 4.01 book says that I can run my comm ports at
19,200 baud using the MODE statement.  However, when I specify:

                MODE COM1:19200,N,8,1

gives me the message: Function not supported on this computer - 19200
Can anybody help?  (Yes, I am using a current 4.10.)

2: When I request yellow (SGR 33 or 43) through the ANSI.SYS driver, my
VGA insists on giving me brown.  Any suggestions?

                                        *David Barber*
                                           @}-->----

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!dbarber
ARPA: crash!pnet01!dbarber@nosc.mil
INET: dbarber@pnet01.cts.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 08:48:33 EST
From: jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org (Freedman)
Subject: FAST Data Acquisition Data Storage Advice needed

  I have a compaq 386/20e running dos 3.3 with 4 megs. I am writing a
data acquisition application and I need to store lots of data
(many,many megs) as fast as possible. The faster the better.  I need
some advice on  how to do it. Should I use expanded or extended memory.
What should I buy, what product do you recommend.  Price is not really
a problem. Performance is.

                         Jerry Freedman,Jr

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jan 91 17:55:25 GMT
From: karl@ncrspks.SparksNV.NCR.COM (Karl Held)
Subject: Pack small files into large clusters?

Is there a utility which allows grouping small files into large (8192)
clusters? Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 08:35 EDT
From: Chris <CHOWE%HAMPVMS.BITNET@YALEVM.YCC.Yale.Edu>
Subject: parallel port on PC

Hello PC users,

Does anybody know the proper way to terminate the data (and strobe)
signal lines from the PC's printer port? I am developing hardware that
connects to the PC with a 6' ribbon cable, and want to avoid
reflections.

        Thanks for your comments,
        Chris Howe                     >> CHOWE@HAMPVMS.BITNET <<

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #24