Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/18/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 10 Feb 91       Volume 91 : Issue  30

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                           Echo in CONFIG.SYS

Today's Queries:
                    Downloading Files from SIMTEL20
                      AT Matlab on the PS/2 55 SX
                  MATHCAD and a Unmodified Epson MX-80
                       Looking for PC-Fax systems
                Motorola Part for a Mono Samsung Monitor
                          Network Cad Packages
               PS/50 not working with marknet and relnet?
                     Capturing Keystrokes to a File

New Uploads:
             AHELP5.ZIP and HDM427.ZIP uploaded to SIMTEL20
     RBCOMM33.ZIP - DESQview-aware comm prg w/VT100,AVATAR,scrlbck
       TSTSR10.ZIP - Terminate Stay Resident utils by Timo Salmi
      VIRSIM1.ZIP - British Computer Soc'ty virus simulation suite

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 91 09:32:46 +0100
From: bax%TUDGW2.TUDELFT.NL@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: ECHO IN CONFIG.SYS

>IS THERE ANY ECHO-OFF ALIKE UTILITY TO BE STUFFED INTO
>CONFIG.SYS BEFORE ALL OTHERS, REDIRECTING STDIO DO NUL ??

The only way I see to accomplish this, is: write a device driver for
the device CON (the console) which discards all output written to it.
Let us say that you put it into the file CON2NUL.SYS. Enter as the
first line in your CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE = CON2NUL.SYS
then follow the other device drivers:
DEVICE = RAMDISK.SYS

and the last device you enter is:
DEVICE = ANSI.SYS

The output of the installation of the drivers between CON2NUL and ANSI
will be directed to CON, which you have defined as doing nothing...  If
the driver directly uses BIOS-calls or writes to video-RAM, then you
can't prevent echoing.

Arjen Bax.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Feb 91 13:38:01 EST
From: leslie roth <LERHC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Downloading Files from SIMTEL20

Hi, everyone talks about dowloading programs from simtel by logging on
to it as some sort of bulletin board.  if this is true can you please
tell me how to get access to it.

thanks a lot
leslie

[I've forwarded the file describing how to get SIMTEL20 programs to a
BITNET host.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Feb 91 13:03:07 EST
From: Arun Phadke <PHADKE@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU>
Subject: AT Matlab on the PS/2 55 SX

  I've encountered problems running AT-MATLAB on the SX machines. AT
Matlab use s a dos-extender ( Phar Lap I think), to run on 286's  and
above. I have no pro blems running it on an AT and on a 386DX. On a
stock PS/2 55SX with 2 meg of ra m, it would die with a stack error.
This was solved by putting stacks=0,0, and making sure SHARE didn't get
activated. We have 3 identical SX's ; with these changes, AT-MATLAB
runs on one of them, but not on the other 2. They were purch ased
within days of each other, so i do not believe it is a BIOS version
error.

  The program just spins the disk for a while and then sits there. The
machine has to be rebooted using the power switch, ctl-alt-del is not
enough. I'm using the same bootable floppy to ensure that all 3
machines have the same software setup, and yet only 1 works. Other 386
software runs fine till now on the 2 wierd machines.

Has anyone had any similar problems with the SX, and if so have they
managed to get around them ?  The system details: 55SX, 2 meg ram, 60
meg hard drive, ibm dos 4.01, config.sys contains just the
files=30,buffers=10,stacks=0,0. No autoexec at all.

Thanks for any help

    Arun G. Phadke, American Electric Power Professor
    Dept. of Electrical Engg, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg VA 24061
    Userid : PHADKE@VTVM1 (Bitnet), PHADKE@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU (Internet)
    Phone  : (703)-231-7029

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Feb 91 17:15:13 CST
From: Tom Williams <S083960@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU>
Subject: MATHCAD and a Unmodified Epson MX-80

Question:

Is there a way to use an unmodified Epson MX-80 with MathCAD?  I have
saved several printout files formatted for the FX-80 but the MX uses a
different method, has anyone written a program to translate the output?

Thanks in advance,
Tom Williams  ( S083960@UMRVMA.BITNET )

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 91 14:11:21 GMT
From: dit@kc.aberdeen.ac.uk
Subject: Looking for PC-Fax systems

Does anybody know of a fax card (half card size) or an external fax
modem that will operate either under Windows 3 or as a background DOS
task to Windows 3 in 386 enhanced mode. 9600 baud operation is
essential. Thanks for any help.

David Tock     dit@uk.ac.aberdeen.kc
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Aberdeen

------------------------------

Date: 5 Feb 91 09:18:00 EDT
From: "DRCV06::OPER1" <oper1%drcv06.decnet@drcvax.af.mil>
Subject: MOTOROLA PART FOR A MONO SAMSUNG MONITOR

    I don't think this is the right list to put this inquiry on but I
don't know of any other lists.

    I have a Motorola transistor part #BU806.  I need a cross-reference
to an RCA (SK) or Sylvania (EDC?) part number.  Can anyone help me or
tell me which list to send this to?

    Also where can I find a LIST of Lists?

Glenn.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Feb 91 11:36:48 CST
From: James Ford <JFORD@UA1VM.ua.edu>
Subject: Network Cad Packages

We have a PC lab of 30 machines which run AutoCad v10.c2 from a server.
We would like to get some sort of CAD package for our other labs, but
(in v10.c2's case) buying individual copies for each machine, and then
running only one on a server can get quite expensive.

I would like to hear from others who are using cad packages other than
AutoCad on a Novell Network.

1.  Cad package name?

2.  What is the cost?  (ie, per server?  site?  educational discounts?)
(we will not mind paying if its a good package)

3.  Exports/imports DXF files?

4.  Installation (any weird hacks needed)?

5.  Overall general usage?

6.  User comments?

7.  Any other comments (good or bad)?

Thanks in advance......

James Ford -  JFORD@UA1VM.UA.EDU, JFORD@MIBSRV.MIB.ENG.UA.EDU
              THE University of Alabama (in Tuscaloosa, Alabama  USA)

------------------------------

Date: 4 Feb 91 14:17:00 EST
From: <junger@cwru.cwru.edu>
Subject: PS/50 not working with marknet and relnet?

  In my office I have a PS/2 50z.  I am connected by ethernet optical
cable to both the internet and a local area net running Novell.  I
access the LAN by running IPX and NET3, both of which are TSR's.  On
most machines it is possible to remove these TSR's by using the MARKNET
program before they are called and the RELNET program afterwards.  But
MARKNET and RELNET--RELNET at least--won't work with PS/2 50's.  Does
anyone know why they won't work?  If I had that information I have a
context switcher that I think I could modify to do the same job that
RELNET does.  But to do that I have to know what non-standard feature
of PS/2 50's causes the problem.

Thanks.

Peter D. Junger
INTERNET:  JUNGER@CWRU.CWRU.EDU -- BITNET:  JUNGER@CWRU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 91 14:01:42 GMT
From: Pat White 061-275-6358 <WHITEPL@MANCHESTER-BUSINESS-SCHOOL.AC.UK>
Subject: Capturing Keystrokes to a File

We need to obtain a TSR program which will allow us to capture
keystrokes in a file so that we can:

1 - Check what actions end users have made
2 - Re-run the same set of tests on interactive programs

The ideal program would use as little memory as possible, and we would
need the ability to switch the capture on and off, presumably via a hot
key

I'd be grateful for advice based on actual use, for public domain,
shareware or commercial packages, either via this list or mail to me
direct.

Pat White

EARN/BITNET address - WHITEPL@MBS.AC.UK
                 or - WHITEPL%UK.AC.MBS@UKACRL
INTERNET address    - WHITEPL@MBS.AC.UK
                 or - WHITEPL%UK.AC.MBS@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK
UUCP/USENET         - WHITEPL%UK.AC.MBS@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 1991  13:36 MST
From: "Frank J. Wancho" <WANCHO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: AHELP5.ZIP and HDM427.ZIP uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.clipper>
AHELP5.ZIP      Help sys/Clipper 5.0 & Summer '87 compiler app

pd1:<msdos.menu>
HDM427.ZIP      Gen DOS menu system w/security & customizable

I received these shareware files, directly from the authors, MicroFox
Company, P.O. Box 447, Richfield, OH 44286-0447.

"AHELP makes it easy to set up indexed help screens with keyword
searching.  Clipper developers or their users can create and modify
context and position sensitive help windows.  Help text can be imported
from ASCII files, too.  Users registering AHELP will receive additional
benefits including an enhanced version of the AHELP Clipper library."

"HDM was written in Turbo Pascal and has been upgraded consistently
over the past six years.  This program simplifies running programs,
batch files, DOS commands and networks.  Commands are entered into the
menu once, then one key executes them thereafter.  HDM is easy to run
because it utilizes DOS commands and its own extensions and macros.
HDM IV includes mouse support, network support, usage logging,
security, timed execution, and complete customization facilities.
Standard registration includes the latest program disk, typeset manual,
upgrade notices, and technical support."

--Frank

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Feb 91 08:52:53 EST
From: Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: RBCOMM33.ZIP - DESQview-aware comm prg w/VT100,AVATAR,scrlbck

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20 the newest release of my small
DESQview-aware comm program.  New additions include a scrollback buffer
and support for EMS.

pd1:<msdos.modem>
RBCOMM33.ZIP    DESQview-aware comm prg w/VT100,AVATAR,scrlbck

For those who have been using the previous release, RBCOMM has grown by
2247 bytes to 32818; minimum memory use is now 45K.  However, the
additional code gets you a scrollback buffer, a much-improved file
pager, more macro commands, EMS support for swapping and scrollback,
and a majority of the AVATAR level 1 terminal command sequences.

For those who have not been using RBcomm, it is a comm program which
will run under plain DOS but really shines under DESQview (adding a few
minor but useful capabilities).  It seamlessly integrates DSZ for file
transfers, swapping out virtually all of itself to disk, EMS, or XMS.
RBcomm supports VT102 emulation with some VT2xx extensions, as well as
VT52, ANSI-BBS, and AVATAR (full level 0 and much of level 1).  Screen
size is automatically detected, and the entire screen is used, up to
255x255.  The macro language gives the ability to bind any command or
sequence of commands to any keystroke recognized by the BIOS except
Alt-Equal; commands may also be triggered by a sequence of characters
received from the serial port or after a specified delay (either
absolute time or interval up to 18 hours).  Additional niceties include
a 20-number dialing directory and a visible bell (flash instead of
beep).

Best of all, I only ask that you send a postcard if you like it.

Ralf

{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf  ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/3.1
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 21:57:01 GMT
From: ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi)
Subject: TSTSR10.ZIP - Terminate Stay Resident utils by Timo Salmi

I have written a few Terminate and Stay Resident programs now available
from SIMTEL20 as:

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
TSTSR10.ZIP     Terminate Stay Resident utils by Timo Salmi

The package includes:

  RESCLOCK.EXE    Resident clock
  SORDINO.EXE     Turn sounds off, shorter in fact
  TIMEDOWN.EXE    resident countdown timer
  TIMEUP.EXE      Resident countup timer

There is nothing very original in these programs that has not been
published in some form before.  But I wanted to look myself at the
techniques of writing TSR programs in Turbo Pascal.  (Not quite the
simplest of programming task.)

There recently was a question in UseNet news comp.lang.pascal for a
resident count-down timer.  Timedown.exe can be used for this purpose
for a color monitor in text mode.

These programs can identify if they have already been installed, so you
can't accidentally install the same program repeatedly.

If you want to deinstall these programs you have to use eg mark-release
from tsrcom29.zip.  I experimented with self releasing code, mostly
successfully.  However, the code collided crashing the machine if I
released a program both by its own code and by release.exe on top of
that.  After some deliberation I decided (at least for the time being)
not to include the self-releasing feature into these programs.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 91 12:12:36 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: VIRSIM1.ZIP - British Computer Soc'ty virus simulation suite

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20 VIRSIM1.ZIP, a new version of the virus
simulation suite of the British Computer Society, which I received
directly from the author, Joe Hirst, on disk.

pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
VIRSIM1.ZIP     British Computer Soc'ty virus simulation suite

ERICH NEUWIRTH
BITNET (EARN): A4422DAB@AWIUNI11
INTERNET:      a4422dab@Helios.EDVZ.UniVie.AC.AT
Institute for Statistics and Computer Science
UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA, UNIVERSITAETSSTR. 5/9, A-1010 VIENNA, AUSTRIA

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #30
-------

-------