Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/19/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 17 Feb 91       Volume 91 : Issue  32

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                     abtoa file conversion (2 msgs)
                              RE: Modula2

Today's Queries:
                           Monitor in Europe
              Problem with Turbo C++ & Turbo Pascal 6 IDE
                 Real Time Clock on a PC AT (386 Arch.)
                          Silver Reed Printers
          WordPerfect pg. preview & View Perfect card driver.
                    Info on Robust Keyboards needed
                    COM Ports with a PC Star Network

New Uploads:
       DABUTIL2.ZIP - Disk and file utilities featuring EVENTMAN
       EXPIRE.ZIP Netnews expire program for Waffle BBS uploaded
      HYDK420.ZIP - HyperDisk v4.20 disk cache system (shareware)
              Maximus BBS source code uploaded to SIMTEL20

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 09:34:37 SET
From: Geert Peeraer <GPEERAER%RKC.UFSIA.AC.BE@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: abtoa file conversion

Hello out there,

I have a problem in conversing a binary file. I received from Nicaragua
a letter that was in abtoa-file format. I received it in binary form
and I can't convert it back. Is there anyone out there who knows about
this file-format? Does someone have a program to convert it (like
dezip.exe pak.exe, etc)?  Our systems operator thinks its a kind of
hexadecimal to ascii conversion.

Thanks in advance

Geert Peeraer   (GPeeraer@banufs11    Gpeeraer@rkc.ufsia.ac.be)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 14:36:00 +0100
From: IKDC0%CC.UAB.ES@uga.cc.uga.edu

>... I received from Nicaragua
>a letter that was in abtoa-file format. I received it in binary
>form and I can't convert it back.

Geert Peeraer

  I have found two references in the simibm.lst to btoa-encoded files:

          <msdos.c>btoa.arc
          <msdos.filutl>atob11.zip

         Hope this helps,

                                        Javier Castro
                               Ikdc0 at ebccuab1 in bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 16:36:00 MET
From: Pieter E Zanstra <MIDS%RUG.NL@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: RE Modula2

>   I don't know if this is the appropriate list for this question but I
>don't know another one.

>   I'm working with Modula2 to VM/CMS and I have a trouble:
>I don't know how describe the type array: I think in Modula2 the
>description for an array is for example 'ARRAY 1..10! of CARDINAL',
>but the character '' makes an error. What character I have to use? or
>is it wrong the description??

The definition is

VAR
   Data  : ARRAY [o..10] OF CARDINAL

There is a good book from Kaare Christian from Springer Verlag on
programming in Modula-2

hope you get things rolling. I think it is a great language to work
with, and it deserves a lot more attention than it is currently
getting.

Pieter E Zanstra
University Hospital Groningen
The Netherlands
pz@uhg.rug.nl

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 19:00:59 -0500
From: ladanyi@cs.cornell.edu (La'szlo' Lada'nyi)
Subject: Monitor in Europe

Hi everybody,
I'm going to buy an IBM/AT compatible machine here, but I'd like to use
it in Europe, too. Unfortunately the electric system is different.  I
know that there is no problem with the computer itself, because its
power supply is switchable, but what can I do with the monitor? I have
never heard about an SVGA monitor which has switchable power supply.
Of course I could transform the voltage of the european system to 110
volt, but also the frequency is different. Does this cause any problem?

Does anybody have experience about this? I would very appreciate if
somebody could help me.  Thanks in advance.

Laci Ladanyi    (ladanyi@cs.cornell.edu)

------------------------------

Date: 9 Feb 91 01:55:21 GMT
From: dmarcher@acsu.buffalo.edu (david m archer)
Subject: Problem with Turbo C++ & Turbo Pascal 6 IDE

Hello, I'm having a problem with the IDE in both Turbo C++ (1.0) and
the new Turbo Pascal (6.0).  In a nutshell, when switching to the user
screen and back, my mouse cursor doesn't reappear when I come back to
the IDE.  The mouse still works as I can still "do" stuff with it, I
just can't see the cursor anymore.  With Turbo C++, using the "repaint
desktop" function under the 'square' menu, I can get it back, Turbo
Pascal has only a "refresh desktop" function which doesn't help.  I'm
hoping someone out there has experienced this problem and knows of some
sort of fix for it.

Thanks,

  Dave Archer  |  Internet: V116KZND@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 8 Feb 91 09:52:06 GMT
From: Iain McCrone <iain@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk>
Subject: Real Time Clock on a PC AT (386 Arch.)

I have written an Assembly Routine to get times down to thousandths of
a second for a PC XT, the manual I got for this machine was really
good, it gave all the addresses and what way the time was set up within
these addresses.  Now I am trying to use an AT for the same routine,
but the manual for the machine (Viglen GENIE 3SX) only describes the
Timer at addresses 040H - 05FH, but I can't get any sensible
information from these addresses.

Is there any easy way of getting times down to thousandths of a second,
just using the DOS command `time' isn't accurate enough?.  In the
Viglen it gives the timer as being the Intel 8254-2 chip, but it
doesn't explain at what i/o address one could read the time from this
timer.  Does anyone have any experience of this sort of achitecture,
probably it will be the normal AT architecture, if so how can I access
this timer chip?.

Iain A. Mc Crone.              Tele. :- 031-225-6465 Ext545
Dept. of Computer Science,     JANET :-  iain@uk.ac.hw.cs
Heriot-Watt University,        ARPA  :-  iain@cs.hw.ac.uk
                               UUCP  :-  ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!iain

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 1991 21:23:13 EST
From: "Drew Derbyshire" <ahd@kendra.kew.com>
Subject: Silver Reed Printers

Query of the week ... a friend has a Silver Reed printer from DAK which
is actually a typewriter with a parallel port.  It will perform smooth
underlining from the keyboard, but he can't get it to do so online.
Does anyone know the escape commands for this and other functions
available from the keyboard but online?

Please direct replies to ed@efkport.kew.com.  I will summarize for
the net.

Drew Derbyshire

Internet: ahd@kendra.kew.com  U.S. Mail: 108 Decatur St, Apt 9
Voice:    617-641-3739                   Arlington, MA 02174

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 91 10:05:04 CST
From: Jhinuk Chowdhury <FF76%UNTVM1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: WordPerfect pg. preview & View Perfect card driver.

Hi folks:

I have recently acquired a Perfect View VGA card (with 1 MB of memory)
to drive my Viewsonic 4 monitor (1024 x 768 interlaced).  The manual
suggests that I can display WordPerfect 5.0 in 800 x 600, 16 color or
1024 x 768, 16 color resolutions for page previews if I copy the two
*.WPD files that they have supplied, into the /WP5 subdirectory (and
then proceed with Shift F1 (setup) within Word Perfect).

The problem is that I am using WP5.1 (amd not WP5.0).  It seems that
WP5.1 does not use *.WPD files as graphics drivers.  From what I have
seen, it appears WP5.1 utilizes *.VRS files instead.

Does any one have a *.VRS file for the Perfect View card?  Can you tell
me where I can get hold of one?  The manual does not list any address
or telephone number.  Do you know how I can contact the makers of View
Perfect?  Could Word Perfect Corporation, by some stroke of luck,
provide the graphics driver?

Any suggestion or recommendation will be appreciated very much.

Regards,     - Jhinuk.

Jhinuk Chowdhury                     Bitnet:   FF76@UNTVM1
Assistant Professor                  Internet: FF76@VAXB.ACS.UNT.EDU
College of Business Administration
University of North Texas

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 15:35:40 EST
From: Sheizaf_Rafaeli@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Info on Robust Keyboards needed

DOes anyone have pointers or advice about robust keyboards?  I am
looking for input devices that can withstand grubby and clumsy handling
by children. Tired of replacing my keyboard every six months, but want
to keep encouraging my kids to use the pc.

Any touch tablets, keyboards, number pads that have fewer moving parts?

Any dealers that would specialize in this?

Thanks,

Sheizaf Rafaeli

Sheizaf_Rafaeli@ub.cc.umichub.edu

[Don't know how 'robust' they are, but I used to be a fairly heavy
typist.  (I'm not quite so heavy fingered now...)  I got a Northgate
OmniKey Plus about a year and a half ago...  It's still holding up
quite well.  I'm not sure they still have the same model now, but ...
  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 14:07 CST
From: TONY <TGPETERMAN%UALR.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: COM Ports with a PC Star Network

I am interested in writing the code for a PC star type network, but
MSDOS restricts me to four com ports which is not enough to do any
good.  What my question is : "Will Coherent or another Unix type OS
increase my port addressability?" or "Is there a way to do it in DOS?"

My budget is small so I am looking for cheap if not free solutions to
the problem.  you can reply to me either through the list, or at
TGPETERMAN@UALR.bitnet.

thanks in advance
TONY.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 13:47:22 CST
From: Don Branson <C08922DB@WUVMD.Wustl.Edu>
Subject: DABUTIL2.ZIP - Disk and file utilities featuring EVENTMAN

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
DABUTIL2.ZIP    Disk and file utilities featuring EVENTMAN

DABUTIL Version 2.00 is a shareware collection of disk and system
utilities for PC users. It includes some basic utilities, including a
Find-File utility which will search several type of archives. Also
included are a full-screen utility for file management and one for
subdirectory management. This package also contains EVENTMAN, an "event
manager" which is used to run DOS programs at preset times or
intervals. There is a full-screen editor, a menu utility, and a printer
utility.

Don Branson
Washington University Information Systems
C08922DB@WUVMD.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Feb 91 16:23:35 -0500
From: Stuart L Labovitz <slabovit@blackbird.afit.af.mil>
Subject: EXPIRE.ZIP Netnews expire program for Waffle BBS uploaded

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.bbs>
EXPIRE.ZIP      Expire Program for Waffle BBS USENET files

A version of Expire for use with Waffle BBS (under MSDOS).  This
program will allow use of the /expire qualifier  to automatically
expire USENET articles after a set number of days.  If there is only
one article in a newsgroup, it is not expired.  Written by
mathew@mantis.co.uk

Stuart Labovitz
<slabovit@blackbird.afit.af.mil>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 1991 16:25:07 GMT
From: sidney@frank.borland.com (Sidney Markowitz)
Subject: HYDK420.ZIP - HyperDisk v4.20 disk cache system (shareware)

I downloaded the latest version of HyperDisk from the author's BBS and
I have uploaded it to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
HYDK420.ZIP     HyperDisk v4.20 disk cache system (shareware)

Shareware disk cache version 4.20 loads itself in high memory, uses
XMS, EMS or conventional memory for cache, works well with latest
versions of QEMM, 386^MAX, DesqView, Windows 3.0. The previous version
4.11 added a startup annoyance registration reminder screen 90 days
after it was released. 4.20 was released on the author's BBS approx
4-Feb-91.  HYDK420.ZIP also includes HyperKey and HyperScreen,
shareware keyboard and screen enhancer TSRs.

[There have been a fair number of changes and enhancements to this
program.  Look at the documentation for details.]

Sidney
Sidney Markowitz <sidney@borland.com>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Feb 91 18:56:30 EST
From: Kevin Kreutzweiser <kevin@csg.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Maximus BBS source code uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.bbs>
MAXS_102.ZIP    MSC/TC source for Maximus-CBCS 1.02 (BBS prog)

This is the 'C' source code for the Maximus BBS program (files
MAX102-?.ZIP already in the <MSDOS.BBS> directory).

Kevin Kreutzweiser
Internet:  kevin@csg.waterloo.edu
UUCP:      {uunet!}watmath!csg!kevin
Fidonet:   SYSOP, 1:221/172  (The Atlantis Automotive Bulletin Board)
           Kevin.Kreutzweiser@f172.n221.z1.fidonet.org
Data:      (519) 748-9081 | Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #32
-------